Los Angeles, CA - N-400 Timeline

Oath on the 29th

I have my Oath scheduled on the 29 th at the Pomona fairplex Courthouse. My Oath letter says to bring the letter , my GC and any other immigration documents. What are these other documents ?
Leung -
Did you take anything other than GC and the Oath letter?

Also anyone know the exact address of the courthouse bldg in the fairplex? Is it easy to find the courthouse in the fairplex?

Ardaviraf

Hi ardavarif

I brought my other immigration document such as 1-94 etc with me, but nobody ask for it, they just took my GC away and asked me the questions on the back of my oath letter and wrote a ok on my oath letter with a number where I picked up my certificate after the ceremony.

Last edited by a moderator:
Help! Anyone with experience in taking the oath at the Los Angeles convention center

Are visitors are allowed to sit with those taking the oath. Or is there a separate area for visitors.

Finally ! Oath letter !!!

Woo hoo guys ! FINALLY !!!

May 18, 8:00am at LA Convention Center !!!

blanco, we're on the same date.

Anyone else going there at that time ?

Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
:cool:

Congrats Jwong !! your wait is over.

Blanco - congrats too ! Look for my experience below for info regarding visitors.

In the same vein - I finished my Oath today at the Fairplex in Pomona !! I am a US Citizen now !!

Process --- Drove to pomona Fairplex. Very easy signs to USCIS oath ceremony once you get off the Fairplex exit on the 10. Parked in the giant parking lot by Gate 17 for $9 - cash and card accepted. Followed the crowd towards Bldg 4. Outside the hall for ceremony visitors are split from applicant and asked to enter from a side entrance. I went in with GC, completed Oath letter. about 31 checkin counters set up where they take your GC, ask same questions as in back of the oath letter to confirm answers and write OK and a counter number on the oath letter that they give back along with small US flag. The hall is huge with a dias upfront for Judge/USCIS officials etc. Applicants are seated from front to back line by line. Visitors have a whole bunch of seats on the side which are cordoned off from the applicant seating area.I don't think there were enough seats for all guests...so earlier the better to get a seat.

Ceremony started right after 9 with judge calling court to order and administering the Oath and congratulations followed. Then speech by Judge and USCIS deputy director.Then Barack Obama welcome video and patriotic song video on giant screen up front. Service members taking oath were also individually mentioned. Then National Anthem is sung and ceremony over. Guests asked to leave the hall. Applicants taken in groups from front to back to same checkin counters. Had to go to counter number written on my Oath letter. Picked up my Nat cert and accompanying name change doc.Confirmed data was correct and left. During the wait in hall, Voter registration and passport forms are given out. Once oath completed you can hand in voter reg form and also head to adjacent building to apply for passport (Photos can be taken onsite.) Since there was a huge queue decided to do later.

There are the usual suspects outside - guys selling a leather bound hard cover for nat cert for $10 which I bought. Later discovered a guy selling the same for $5 in parking lot :). Also before entry the hall there are several photographers who take your picture and you can buy the photo after Oath ( just like in theme parks) for $12.99.Passed on that. Any way was out and done by around 10:30.

Best of luck to all !!
Ardaviraf

Signature on the photo?

w124,

Thanks for your well wishing for all these times.

I have seen some naturalization certificates on which the photo were signed by the applicants.

But I have not and was not told to sign anything on my photo.

Do any of you sign (or not sign) your photo on the naturalization certificates?

Jwong,
I was not asked to sign on my photos during the interview. My nat cert photo does not have my signature on it. Not a problem
Ardaviraf

Ardaviraf, thanks for the info and thanks for staying active for the rest of us.

I hope you like your new name.

hi hi hi
;)

My interview is exactly 1 week from now. I've been studying the questions sporadically and I'm pretty confident at this point. But I was wondering if the IOs expect us to answer the questions verbatum, as written in the study book. I'm wondering this because I couldn't help notice how they rephrase the same thing 3 different ways sometimes (e.g. "Announced" our independence / "declared" our independence.")
Any comments?

Just got back from the Oath Ceremony at the LA convention center. The letter said I had to be there at 8AM, but today there was just horrible traffic and it was raining and you know how well LA drivers drive in the raining. Needless to say despite leaving the valley by 6:30 I only got there at 8:15. Fortunately, they allow folks in till about 9 at which point the Oath is administered by the Judge and you and anyone else who might be late has to wait for the Judge to administer the Oath later. But I noticed they were quite accomodating to those that arrived after 9 (there about 2 dozen). Bottom line.. try to get there by 7AM. Because if you dont, expect to sit WAAAAAYYYY behind and you wont see anything. The hall is huge. There were 4800+ applicants plus as many guests, all in one hall. So you can imagine the size of the hall.

The procedure is straightforward:
1. You enter the main hall through the door marked "Applicants" (guests enter through a different door so yo uare already separated even before you enter the main hall).
2. You go to any one of 50 booths, where any office will verbally ask you to confirm the 7 questions on that back of your form. You surrended your Green Card. This was amusing, as there were many there who just DID NOT want to turn it in. I guess they weren't prepared to turn it in so I can see how they were taken aback. The officials had to convince them and pacify them, that "its ok, you are going to get something far more valuable".
3. You get an "OK" mark on your form with a table number. This is the table number you must go to after the ceremony to collect your Naturalization Certificate.

The Ceremony is fairly scripted. The hall is called to order, Judge enters, USCIS Director Petitions the Judge to grant citizenship to the applicants present, Jude accepts, Jude administers the Oath, then judge does a monologue on the meaning of the oath. Congratulatory speech by the USCIS, Star Spangled Banner, some other song I dont remember, reminder by the US Deparment of State representative to apply for a passport. Thats it..

I think the most painful part was waiting for your turn to collect the naturalization certificate. They call 3 rows at a time (there are a few hundred rows!). That can take upto 2 hrs depending on how late you got there. Those who got there the earliest, got their certs first and son on. It took abour an hour for me. A lot of disobedient citizens :) jump the line, pretending to go to the bathrooms, and hop on over to the booths to collect their certs out of turn. So that compounded the problem as well, despite the MC's desperate pleas to stay seated. Then I applied for a passport. The line was long, probably a few hundred people ahead of me. That took, another hour and a half. They have a photo-copying machine available ($2 a copy) so you make a copy of the certificate before surrendering it with the passport application. I order the passport card as well, both at expedited service with express mail, for a grand total of $169.96 + $25 for USPS convenience fee. Am glad I got it done with, now I just have to wait 17 days for both to arrive and you can be sure I will be checking the mailbox every day :)

If you are traveling with guests, note that your guests will be ways away from you, so far that they might barely be able to make you out. I only met my guests at the very end, 4.5 hours after I got to the venue. Because between the separate seating for applications and guests and them asking all guests to vacate the hall at the end of the ceremony, followed by the document collection and passport application, you are on your own. So keep that in mind and ask yourself if it is really worth having guests tag along.

Parking is attached to the convention center ofcourse. It is covered parking and is $12. I hear there is cheaper parking in the the vicinity but I couldn't be bothered.

Over all if it weren't for the huge crowds and endless waiting, it would have been a more enjoyable experience. But it was still worth every minute.

Interesting comment from the Judge that administered the Oath. He said (and I will paraphrase) "Some might tell you that because you weren't born here you aren't really a true American, to which my response would be that everyone here is an immigrant except the Native Americans". I thought it was interesting he decided to mention that.

Good luck to all in the queue, let me know if you haven't any specific questions about the Oath ceremony.

Last edited by a moderator:
My interview is exactly 1 week from now. I've been studying the questions sporadically and I'm pretty confident at this point. But I was wondering if the IOs expect us to answer the questions verbatum, as written in the study book. I'm wondering this because I couldn't help notice how they rephrase the same thing 3 different ways sometimes (e.g. "Announced" our independence / "declared" our independence.")
Any comments?

No not verbatim. Although its up to their discretion I guess as to how far off you are. If you answer Susan B Hendricks instead of Susan B Anthony, that probalby mnight count as a strike :)
Some of the questions as you probably guessed have multiple answers, ANY ONE of which is correct. So you only need to get one of the variants. Either "Announced" or "Declared" is fine, or even a close variation of that.

Had my Oath ceremony at the LA Convention Center today (May 18). Everything that Blanco mentioned ..except that I did not bother to apply for the passport at that place... The wait would be too long. Instead I came home and walked to the local post office in the afternoon and applied.. took just 20 minutes. Wishing everyone who is waiting for their citizenship all the best. My wife is still waiting for her oath letter even though her interview was on the same day as mine.

except that I did not bother to apply for the passport at that place... The wait would be too long. Instead I came home and walked to the local post office in the afternoon and applied.. took just 20 minutes.

In retrospect that was a good idea kalinadude and I would recommend this to everybody. It will save you a couple of hours of standing in line. I guess I just got caught up in the excitement of the moment seeing lots of people applying and decided to go for it. Oh well, its over and done with. Cant' wait to get the PP and more importantly travel on it, because I think thats when it will really dawn on me that I am now an American! Boy that feels great just to say it. I dont know which was a better moment- the day I received the GC, or today. I guess receiving the GC was more of a sense of "relief" (no more worryng about H1B Visas or getting laid off), whereas today was more of a sense of "closure".