Los Angeles, CA - N-400 Timeline

Jwong,
Best of luck for your interview. Also am curious about how name change will affect the oath date. from the list that has been mentioned earlier, is it true that all name change Oaths will have to be at the district court or can it be at the LA convention center as well?...
Keep us posted on interview.

Ardaviraf

Jwong,
Best of luck for your interview. Also am curious about how name change will affect the oath date. from the list that has been mentioned earlier, is it true that all name change Oaths will have to be at the district court or can it be at the LA convention center as well?...
Keep us posted on interview.

Ardaviraf

i did name change too... all new name...
and i just read some other people's review...and..
they said.. doesnt matter whether u requested a name change or not..
cuz, there was a man who change a name in LA DO, and he did oath at LACC with lots of people who didnt change their names.
however, from the some articles.. i found that if u do name change during N400, the court need to approve that allow to take an oath ceremony. it's depends on the district court but..seem the must response whin a month for California court in LA or OC. (not sure but i searched...after i read ur question..cuz we are on same boat.)
i believe if u done ur interview on FEB.... we all gonna meet at LACC on March 31st. ^^
Good luck guys...

Thanks a lot, everyone, for the well wishing.

Regarding name changes, I am confident that it will not cause any problem
and will not delay the process that much.

The law said that only the court can administer a name change. Since LA DO's
naturalization ceremonies are all conducted by the court, our name change
are legally granted at the same instance as we swear in at the ceremony.

By the way, Alaska is the last state to join the union.

Why ?

Because : It's A-LAST-KA !!!

:cool:

This my first post :)

thanks to all the posted their experiences in their personal journey to becoming usc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

This is my interview experience today.

I went into the waiting room at 7:50am, scheduled for 9am but was not called until 10:15am.

So if you ever have to wait that long, make sure you ask the officer behind window 51.

Then I was interviewed by officer S. She was very professional but apparently exhausted by the workload.

She asked me the civic test, reading, and writing test. I passed them easily.

Next she went over EACH & EVERY single items on the N-400. I passed those also, easily. One surprise question to me was that she asked if I had any traffic tickets. So I said yes. She asked if I paid them off, I said yes. That was it.

The bad thing is I was not approved and she asked me to submit two additional documents:
1. My child's birth certificate
2. Evidence of financial supports, in the form of cancelled checks or notarized statement from my wife.

So the lesson learnt here is: if you have child(ren), make sure you bring their birth certificates and evidence of child support with you. You just never know what they will ask you.

Other than that, she did not ask to see any other documents except my green card and driver's license.

So I'll gather those two things and mail to her very soon.

I just had my fingerprints taken today at the Pico / Fairfax location and I must say that I'm impressed with that application support center!

I had previously asked if you guys had experienced any miserably long lines. Well this place was super mellow. There were only 5 people waiting for fingerprints and that's barely a line :)

Next is the interview letter. Based on other timelines I guess it's going to take 3 weeks to get that letter. Looking forward to it! ;)

Hi guys,

My wife is drafting a letter to the officer attesting my support for the child.

Do you happen to know what is the best or most effective way to write such
a letter ? Do I need to include specific dollar amounts ?

This is our first marriage, we are still happily married and we have never
been divorced. So there is no court order, no alimony and no child support
orders of any kind.

s. officer ah??mmmmmmmmmmm.
well I never heard of financial support nfor your kid if you are living with him??
did she mean financial support for you? I do not get it ,check your aplication .
looks we had same interviewer?
consult a lawyer there are free lawyers......consultation .it may be worth to have them write the letter.
good luck..i brought all documents ,and was not asked for 1 .

jwong - congrats on your interview, just provide the documents and you're done! =)

GOOD NEWS - my wife received her oath letter today, dated for March 31 at the US District Court Central District!!! Took a while, but we're glad it's here!

hi w124,

Is it gonna be that easy ? Just submit them and she will approve ?

What if she does not like the way the letter was written ? Of course
my wife will spell out that I have been providing support...etc.

I mean, we're happily married and so I don't understand why
she still need to see it.

hi w124,

Is it gonna be that easy ? Just submit them and she will approve ?

What if she does not like the way the letter was written ? Of course
my wife will spell out that I have been providing support...etc.

I mean, we're happily married and so I don't understand why
she still need to see it.

I'm hoping the IO will be more objective then subjective...perhaps someone could chime in on how to write the letter...

hi w124,

If she were really objective in the first place, she should have asked :
"Did you bring the birth certificate or any child support evidence?"

She did not even ask, and just want to make it harder. I brought
the birth certificate with me. I asked her if she wanted to see it now,
and she said no, just mail them to her. Is this a trait of an objective
person ?

She knew this is our first marriage and there is no prior marriage
whatsoever. My background check is cleaner than clean. No divorce,
no arrest, no nothing.

Is there a waiting area at the los angeles downtown interview building? my wife is coming with me to my interview.

Yes, there are plenty of seats for your family members to wait.

And no, they did not check your cell phone but it is strongly advised
that you put it on silent mode.

As for your name change, you will be given two identical name
change request forms (printed out from the officer's computer),
and you will be asked to sign both forms during the interview.
It's a painless name-change process.