Los Angeles, CA - N-400 Timeline

The ceremony at the LASA started late in typical USCIS style this afternoon. But the ceremony was somewhat more inspiring since the Judge (Judge Matts) gave a nice personal touch to the 'congratulations' speech, which also included identification of the 60+ countries represented in the audience. Seemed like a very sincere gentleman.

For a few thousand people, it was pretty well organized. Much better seating arrangement than the previous Pomona ceremony.

Congratulations to the oath recipients today.

I regret going so early. I went there at 6:30am, waiting in line for 45', then waiting inside arena for almost 2 hours. I saw people comming late, they waited about 30'. But they finally exited quickly . I dont think first in first out works.
I have another experience. I parked my car by entering the main entrance at Figueroa st. Then i walked long distance from north side to south side. Instead, i should enter Hoover st from MLK Blvd. There is a parking next to main gate.

I still can't believe I am a citizen, doesn't feel any different, may be because I sent i-130 for my mom and it's not quite over for me yet.

my addition to LA Sports Arena Oath experiences:

1. we parked across the street from main gates for $10, it was worth it for me to save time and not worry about car safety.

2. wait is 1.5-2 hours before and same after the ceremony - so bring a book or something to do.

3. register to vote with official employees while seated inside, rather then giving your personal information to political party representatives outside. I was surprised how busy it was outside - with all the political interest groups, souvenir sellers, food sellers etc.

4. SIGN your certificate before making copies or taking anywhere

5. I didnt apply for passport inside, because I needed certificate for SSA and for i-130, but i applied in post office same day (they close at 4) - paid with 2 personal checks.

6. bring your own pen everywhere

Last edited by a moderator:
Documents for the Interview in Los Angeles

Hi Guys,

We are due for interview in Los Angeles on July 27, and are trying to get all the documents together.

Question1: Do we need to have all the Tax Returns for the last five years?
Question2: Do they ask for these documents all the time?
Question3: What if we have taken extension for the latest year?

Oh - One other Question : Is there a standard time line for the Oath Date (after the Interview Date) - like how many days after the interview date?

Did any of you come across the situation as mentioned above? Please let me know.

Thanks
Tejas

Hi Guys,

We are due for interview in Los Angeles on July 27, and are trying to get all the documents together.

Oh - One other Question : Is there a standard time line for the Oath Date (after the Interview Date) - like how many days after the interview date?

Did any of you come across the situation as mentioned above? Please let me know.

Thanks
Tejas
Q1: Yes, recommended. (if you want to avoid a potential follow-up request)
Q2: No, hit and miss depending on the specific IO and your circumstances.
Q3: Then call the IRS for proof showing that you filed for an extension, and bring that to the interview.

Don't present the tax records unless asked upon in the interview.

Bonus Q: roughly 14-90 days to oath (some people have had same day oath, but not the norm).

Reg: Interview Docs

Q1: Yes, recommended. (if you want to avoid a potential follow-up request)
Q2: No, hit and miss depending on the specific IO and your circumstances.
Q3: Then call the IRS for proof showing that you filed for an extension, and bring that to the interview.

Don't present the tax records unless asked upon in the interview.

Bonus Q: roughly 14-90 days to oath (some people have had same day oath, but not the norm).

If we carry last 5years Tax return copies are enough or do we need to get attested from IRS(Originals) and carry them. pl advise.

Hi Guys,

1/ If you are applying based on "3 year" then you should have tax returns for the past three years. If you are applying "5-year" then tax returns are not noted as being required. However, if you want to cover ALL possibilties, I would suggest applying for tax transcripts, and having them "just in case".
2/The required documents seem to depend, on a degree, to the IO's mood - and to your individual case.
3/ Bring proof that you have applied for an extension.

Standard timeline? Sorry, no such thing LOL. But, for the LA office, currently it seems anytime from 2-8 weeks from interview till oath.

My io took taxes for last year only

transcripts are easy to get - less then a week, so i highly recommend it

about oath - if the case is simple and straightforwrd - then check the oath schedule, oaths happen 1-2 times a month, so if interview is 2+ weeks before - then it will be nearest date,
if there is issue with the case (like with mine) then it will be next or next after that oath date.

Any other tips ?

Thanks a bunch for the information guys.

Any other tips you guys can think of.

Any latest experiences with regards to documents and questions is highly appreciated?

Thanks once again for all your input

Tejas

Employment Based Green Card Question (Citizenship Interview)

Hi Guys,

During the Citizenship Interview, is there a possibility for the IO to ask us - How long we have been with the employer after green card approval?

Ours is a Employment based Green Card

Thanks
Tejas

Hi Guys,

During the Citizenship Interview, is there a possibility for the IO to ask us - How long we have been with the employer after green card approval?

Ours is a Employment based Green Card

Definately a possibility. I was asked by the IO who sponsored my GC, as he was likely confirming the end date of employment vs. GC date.

Of course, each IO experience will vary, but this question should surely be expected.

I was scheduled for oath ceremony on July 24. And then they sent me another letter saying the oath ceremony descheduled by USCIS.

This is the exact wording from the letter:
This is to advise you that, due to unforeseen circumstances, we have had to cancel the previously scheduled Oath Ceremony on Friday, July 24, 2009 at 01:00PM for the above applicant. We regret any inconveniences this may cause.
We will advise you of any further action taken on this case, including any rescheduled interview information, under separate notice.

Anybody has similar situation here? What is possibly happening here?

Passport and N600

Can I apply N600 form- Certificate of Citizen for child after the applying for passport for the child.

Will my child get GC back after applying for passport as this is required for N600?

I was scheduled for oath ceremony on July 24. And then they sent me another letter saying the oath ceremony descheduled by USCIS.

This is the exact wording from the letter:
This is to advise you that, due to unforeseen circumstances, we have had to cancel the previously scheduled Oath Ceremony on Friday, July 24, 2009 at 01:00PM for the above applicant. We regret any inconveniences this may cause.
We will advise you of any further action taken on this case, including any rescheduled interview information, under separate notice.

Anybody has similar situation here? What is possibly happening here?

I have seen 4-5 such cases over last 2 years, it's unfortunate delay, but not a symptom of a problem, just a delay - so hang on - you will get next Oath date!:)

I forgot to mention that I changed my address sometimes after the interview, from SB county to Orange county. I am afraid this caused the oath delay? Do they still need to transfer files to a new D/O even after the interview was done?

can you guys advise a good law firm i las angeles are for filing my Wifes citizenship application.?

Thanks
Sam

I forgot to mention that I changed my address sometimes after the interview, from SB county to Orange county. I am afraid this caused the oath delay? Do they still need to transfer files to a new D/O even after the interview was done?

A possibility. In the middle of the nat cert, it shows the office which the application was filed, so they might update it to reflect the new location. But more likely due to some other administrative reason (who knows, maybe the judge wants to leave early to beat traffic for vacation..). Fortunately OC is at the LA ceremony, so it shouldn't be too much of a big change for the reschedule. Hopefully your new date will arrive very soon.