Los Angeles, CA - N-400 Timeline

Got my Interview Letter

Thanks for the advice Sri69, I did have couple of drinks (Johnny) last night, and the Interview Letter showed today afternoon in the mail :)

Surprisingly, the interview date is different than that of my wife.

My interview date is Aug.03,09 - at 2.15 PM

Dear All, who ask me how to use this calling instruction

there are several tricks I saw on forum - all include LYING! Please understand that lying to immigration officials is illegal and can have bad consequences, so use it at your own risk!

"when you reach first line representative on the phone - you have 2 options
LIE#1: tell them you filed N400 case 50 days ago (more then 30) and didn't receive any notice whatsoever - probably lost in mail
LIE#2: take your case number, change 1-2 digits and start checking them online, once you find a case that is 1-2 digits different then yours but cannot be located online, then write it down and call and give first rep that number, he will search it online :mad:, announce that they cant't find it, then transfer you to the real officer.

once talking to officer you can give him your A# (if used lie#1) or correct case number and just keep your question short - "what is my current status" or more specific "Has my oath notice been sent" and keep your words to the minimum, don't show too much knowledge of process, or don't ever mention you lied a minute ago :D.

Remember that officers are like police officers in dealing with bad liars every day (because good ones doesn't get caught), plus immigration workers are trained to assume everyone guilty until proven otherwise, just like consular workers, so be respectful, patient and careful of what you say, use calm, relaxed and confident voice. Sometimes they can be real nasty jerks, but 70% are normal people"

Good luck everybody!

this is all I know about it, if it's not working then POSSIBLYit's because too many people used it and USCIS just closed it altogether. But for those who want to keep trying:

only thing i can think of to add to the previous quote:
It only makes sence to call withing 2-3 weeks around the date you are expecting next action on your case, Do not overuse it.

DO NOT ASK TO BE TRANSFERRED DO NOT MENTION ANY OFFICERS, keep words to minimum, act maximally polite, naive and cooperative, don't show any knowledge of what they should do, don't demand anything, don't get in arguments, in case of complications - keep it cool, politely say Thank you and Good buy, hang up and try again with another Rep.

Here is example dialog
CSR-I: - How may I help you - long blah bla blah -?
You: - Hello, (his/her Name), I filed N-400 application 40-50 days ago ( pick a number, or you can say 5 weeks ago, but give a date) on April 15 (do your math, pick a date appropriate to the number of days or weeks ) and I haven't received a notice. (THAT's IT - its the only phrase you need to say!)
CSR-I: - I will need to transfer you to another representative (blah blah)

Good Luck, Everybody!

Last edited by a moderator:
congratulations

Thanks for the advice Sri69, I did have couple of drinks (Johnny) last night, and the Interview Letter showed today afternoon in the mail :)

Surprisingly, the interview date is different than that of my wife.

My interview date is Aug.03,09 - at 2.15 PM

I have the same situation. I and my wife had the same FP date and done together. I received IL on May 22 and my wife as of 06/10/2009 has not received the IL yet. Should I be worried? How long after your wife received the IL that you received your IL?

Reg: Dates

Hi Kartal, I have the same dates as yours.

SAntaAna DO:
PD: 04/10/09
FP: 04/25/09
IL: 05/22/09
ID: 07/17/09

there are several tricks I saw on forum - all include LYING! Please understand that lying to immigration officials is illegal and can have bad consequences, so use it at your own risk!

Well you really wouldn't be lying to an IO since the first person over the line is a customer service rep. I prefer the term "social engineering" to lying, as you are only trying to get transferred to an IO so that they can give you clear information on your case. To suggest that using the phone trick is somehow analogous to lying to an IO at an interview borders on unnecessary fear mongering.

Hello guys. Here is a quick update on my situation:

I called USCIS today and they gave me my oath date. It is at the LA Sports Arena on Friday, June 26th at 8:00am. Im beyoooooooond Happy! Hope you guys get info on your cases soon!!!

Take care and have a great weekend!

Hello guys. Here is a quick update on my situation:

I called USCIS today and they gave me my oath date. It is at the LA Sports Arena on Friday, June 26th at 8:00am. Im beyoooooooond Happy! Hope you guys get info on your cases soon!!!

Take care and have a great weekend!

nocturnalbeat, Congratulations!!! No more worrying!! :)

Hi Feliz! I have a quick question for you. I will also be sending an I-130 for my mom and I was wondering if you can recommend a good document translator that can assist me with translating my birth certificate. Thank you in advance!

Hi Feliz! I have a quick question for you. I will also be sending an I-130 for my mom and I was wondering if you can recommend a good document translator that can assist me with translating my birth certificate. Thank you in advance!

majority of people on immigration forums do their certified translations themselves - the USCIS instruction says it's fine. Search this forum or google "sample birth certificate translation" and in the end you should add the specific USCIS recommended certification phrase: stating your name, address, date and that you are fluent in both languages and certify that this is an accurate translation. I will also look in my archives when I have time, cuz I translated all my documents myself, if I forget to do it in a week, please PM me.

26 June at LASA

I know there are many of us taking the Oath on June 26 at LASA. What are people planning to do? I hear the traffic is crazy and parking might be difficult.
Should we make a group, meet few blocks away (say at USC) and then go in one car?
Any one planning to park their car few blocks away and take public transit?

1) Its possible in LA. When I was there, I saw one person attending the interview in the morning (not sure how early in the morning). He requested same day Oath. He was asked to return back in the afternoon. He completed his oath at around 2p (which is what I witnessed while waiting for interview). My guess is, there is no formal way to request. Its at the discretion of the officer who interviews. Good Luck, if you are thinking about it.

Did a walk-in for FP at the Ventura ASC. Tip - show up at 8AM!! It only took 15min.

Two questions for the community...

1) Is anyone aware of the oath day being the same day as the Interview in LA?
2) If you request the original oath date to be postponed, what is general delay?

--------------------------------
Los Angeles DO

05/09/11 - Application Mailed to PHX
05/11/09 - Priority Date
05/18/09 - Check Cashed
05/20/09 - NOA1 Recvd
05/26/09 - Finger Printing Letter rec'd For 06/06/09
05/30/09 - FD walk-in
xx/xx/09 - IL issued (rec'd xx/xx/xx)
xx/xx/09 - ID
xx/xx/09 - OD

Reg: Oath

1) Its possible in LA. When I was there, I saw one person attending the interview in the morning (not sure how early in the morning). He requested same day Oath. He was asked to return back in the afternoon. He completed his oath at around 2p (which is what I witnessed while waiting for interview). My guess is, there is no formal way to request. Its at the discretion of the officer who interviews. Good Luck, if you are thinking about it.

Good Same Day Oath, Can you let me know which DO(location) is that.

You witnessed it while waiting for your interview? Do you mean the ceremony was held in the Los Angeles DO? Do they still do that?

Hi Sri,
I notice that you are scheduled to have Oath on 06/26/09.
Did you request to have name change on your N-400 or during the interview?
Thanks.

got IL

soooooo long !!!

DO: Los Angeles( Santa Ana) /Live in Orange County

02/02/2009: PD
02/25/2009: FP Date
08/03/2009: ID
08/03/2009: ID--passed !!!

OD: XX/XX/2009

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to assume its very abnormal to get approval for Same Day oath in LA. Because, there was no infrastructure or even a separate room for that.

In the interview-waiting room, a lady called out the person's name (who was supposed to take oath) he went to the same window, where we dropped the paperwork for interview. The lady gave him some papers from behind the window. The guy read thru the papers for a while. The lady came back (standing behind the window), gave some instructions, asked him to stand and put his right hand up and administered the oath. I have to assume, she is supervisor or something, because, after that she never came back to the waiting room.

So, this was not really a ceremony. It looked like a stop-gap arrangement to accommodate extreme cases, I suppose. However, considering my oath ceremony experience, I would have preferred this rather simple one.

You witnessed it while waiting for your interview? Do you mean the ceremony was held in the Los Angeles DO? Do they still do that?