Los Angeles, CA - N-400 Timeline

So I am looking at the OL and among other things to bring to the ceremony, it lists

"Reentry Permit or Refugee Travel Document"
"Any Immigration documents you may have."

After getting the greencard, I don't recall the immigration guys giving me any re-entry permits of any sort.

What other immigration documents do they need?

Last edited by a moderator:
Beacon29, a reentry permit is like a passport, though it's white or green and only good for 2 years. Issued to those who don't have passports from their country of birth, like me (vietnam). I still have mine, though expired (its my 3rd one) so I'll have to turn it in along with green card. Not everyone has/needs a reentry permit, especially if you've been able to travel using a passport from your country of origin.
If you left vietnam during the war like i did, you lost your citizenship and thus passport, if you had one. So the only way you could travel is using this pseudo-passport we call a reentry permit. Immigration/customs agents from all over the world have to do a double take when they see one cause they're not quite sure what it is when I present it to them.

In a nutshell, this permit allows citizens of no nations (stateless individuals like me) the ability to travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I am looking at the OL and among other things to bring to the ceremony, it lists

After getting the greencard, I don't recall the immigration guys giving me any re-entry permits of any sort.

Reentry permit is a document issued by USCIS to those permanent residents who are planning extended stays (usually more than 1 year but less than 2 years, if I remember it right) outside the US to allow them entry back to the US when they return from overseas. One has to apply for it before departing the US.

Passport (if you have one), GC, DL, and any other recent (between interview and oath) travel permits you may have received.

Has anybody who applied for US passport on 01/29/09 or later received it already?

I'm still waiting for mine. I applied regular processing for both passport book and passport card at a post office on 01/29/09.

I got my naturalization certificate back today but no passport. I was worried at first because I did not know they came separately. Maybe my passport will come Monday. I hope.

I got my naturalization certificate back today but no passport. I was worried at first because I did not know they came separately. Maybe my passport will come Monday. I hope.

Yes, they are mailed separately. Your passport should be coming soon. I did not receive anything yet. I hope to get them next week.

i got my FP walk-in done yesterday (see signature) no questions asked, the stuff treated me as if I had appointment that day.

it took the FP letter 7 calendar days and 5 business days to come from NBC to LA, kinda sux comparing to Laguna Niguel...

Thanks for the response guys. Since I do have a passport (albeit non US one), all I have to bring with me would be the DL, GC and that passport and I should be good to go. 3 more days to go.

Thanks for the response guys. Since I do have a passport (albeit non US one), all I have to bring with me would be the DL, GC and that passport and I should be good to go. 3 more days to go.

I took my GC, California DMV ID and my passport, but there are too many people and they don't have time to play around with you. They didn't need anything except my GC. Best wishes.

Hi
Anybody knows where to park in Los Angeles Convention Center the day of the ceremony?
Thank you

I parked in the West Garage structure on Chick Hearn Ct right across LACC. I forgot how much I paid but just prepare $15 cash. It shouldn't be that much.

By the way, Congratulations!

Hello everyone. Newbie here. I'm going to send N400 on March 1st. Understand I need to claim the traffic tickets. There would be about 4-5 over the past 10 years, but I can't remember the dates. DMV record is only showing 1 incident (because I paid off the rest, I guess). So the question is how should I claim on the N400 if I don't remember the dates of the citations?

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys,
one of my friends told me not to apply for pass card, its only good for travelling to Mexico, North/south america?? if it is like that, i wont apply for it, what do you guys think?:p

My passport finally arrived today and I am so happy. They told me it would take from 3 to 4 weeks and it was exactly 3 to 4 weeks. The journey is finally over. My husband is more excited than me. He started this thing next month will be 6 years. I will probably wake up in the night dreaming that I am waiting, waiting, waiting for something else from them.
Good luck to everyone whatever step you are on.

My passport finally arrived today and I am so happy. They told me it would take from 3 to 4 weeks and it was exactly 3 to 4 weeks. The journey is finally over. My husband is more excited than me. He started this thing next month will be 6 years. I will probably wake up in the night dreaming that I am waiting, waiting, waiting for something else from them.
Good luck to everyone whatever step you are on.

Congratulations Manlika2004! I hope to get mine soon.