Los Angeles, CA - N-400 Timeline

Case- N400, citizenship
State CA
Priority date October 15 2002
Interview Jun 30 2003
Abou 10 enquaries, including 2 senators
Oath- FBI pending
Looking for team to join to file CLASS ACTION

The problem with applying at the ceremony is you may not get a chance to make a copy of the naturalization certificate before you send it with the passport application, it is legal to make a copy although it say's it is illegal on the Naturalization Certificate but that probably means one cannot counterfeit it or make copies for illegal purpose, you can check the following website for this information. Although, the chances of the post office / state dept. losing the certificate are pretty low but you may not want to take that risk.

http://www.newcitizen.us/after.html

Thanks for the info. At the oath ceremony when applying for a passport, can you apply for expedited service if you need it quickly? Or do you need to lodge that application eslewhere?

That is ridiculous:mad: , almost 5 years!!! sue USCIS using WOM, there is a sticky thread that has all the details. Good Luck :)

Case- N400, citizenship
State CA
Priority date October 15 2002
Interview Jun 30 2003
Abou 10 enquaries, including 2 senators
Oath- FBI pending
Looking for team to join to file CLASS ACTION

Anyone know how long it is taking to get a passport in the LA area if I apply via the post office (expedited)?

In normal course, the passport will be issued in 4-6 weeks, if you apply thru the Post Office.

If you are in Los Los Angeles, you can go to the Western Region Passport Office (located in the Federal Building, Wilshire Blvd, Westwood, near the 405 Fwy & Wilshire intersection) and get the passport on the next day, on emergency basis. You will have to pay $60 extra.

My brothers status

N-400 Applied: October 2002
FP: December 2002
IL: Feb 2002
FBI Pending: still pending to date.

Inquiries sent: 12 and two infopass appointments and still nothing.

ivaar & Enigma777, Sorry to hear about your cases. Seems like they got flagged for some reason and now are stuck in the huge bureaucracy. Since you had the interview, i think you have the right to have your case heard at the court (i remember reading this on the results form you are given after you pass the interview)

kissan_ucla, Thank for the info. Since i do not have an emergency, i went to the local post office today and i applied. Paid for the expedited fee and express mail for both ways. Was told 4-5 weeks.

Cheers!

My timeline in Los Angeles

Here's my timeline with the citizenship process in Los Angeles.

N-400 Filed ............ November 29, 2006
Fingerprint ....... December 26, 2006
Interview ......... March 29, 2007
Oath Ceremony ....... April 26, 2007 1 PM (finished by 2:30 PM)
Passport Office ....... April 27, 2007 (LONG wait -- 8 AM appointment, but passport in hand by 3 PM)

Here's my timeline with the citizenship process in Los Angeles.

N-400 Filed ............ November 29, 2006
Fingerprint ....... December 26, 2006
Interview ......... March 29, 2007
Oath Ceremony ....... April 26, 2007 1 PM (finished by 2:30 PM)
Passport Office ....... April 27, 2007 (LONG wait -- 8 AM appointment, but passport in hand by 3 PM)

Sweet... what did you have to show them to get the passport same day. Also, when did you make the appt?

I had to show them a printout of the itinerary, showing that I had a flight coming up THE VERY NEXT DAY. I think if you have travel plans within 2 or 3 weeks, that's fine, too. I made the appointment 2 weeks beforehand, I think. They wouldn't let me do it any earlier, but I did it as soon as I got within the 2-week window. Not positive about the 2 weeks -- check the website.

Reminders: I wasted about 15 minutes going back and forth between the passport agency and my car, first because I had a cell phone (not allowed), and second because it turned out I also had a camera in my bag (also not allowed). This is at the Los Angeles Federal Building in Westwood. I would try to show up and get in line as early as possible because there were hundreds of people all with the same 8 AM appointment, and by the time you're #100, you're almost 3 hours behind #1. Also, I waited and waited and finally submitted my paperwork around 10:30, and they told me to come back between 1 and 3 to pick up the passport. When I showed up at 1:30, the line was already about 200 people long. Seriously. So, if they say 1, show up at least at 12:30 and get in line.

I recieved my passport today!!!! One week expedited...wow! I applied right after my oath ceremony along with all the other newly naturalized citizens. i have no idea if that had any effect on how quickly it got to the passport office. Either way, I'm happy.

I may be the only one, but i'm not a fan of the new ePassports. I find them kind of ugly and the quotes on every page amateurish. I can see how it'd be hard to fake though.

On an ANGRY note...They returned my certificate with plenty of creases. It was folded into three and then dropped in the mail :mad::mad::mad:

This is despite the fact that I took a sheet protector to my oath ceremony and specifically enclosed the certificate in a sheet protector before handing it over to the passport folks. I can't believe they screwed it up...idiots.

Can't do anything about it...maybe I'll apply for a replacement in a few years.

I recieved my passport today!!!! One week expedited...wow! I applied right after my oath ceremony along with all the other newly naturalized citizens. i have no idea if that had any effect on how quickly it got to the passport office. Either way, I'm happy.

I may be the only one, but i'm not a fan of the new ePassports. I find them kind of ugly and the quotes on every page amateurish. I can see how it'd be hard to fake though.

On an ANGRY note...They returned my certificate with plenty of creases. It was folded into three and then dropped in the mail :mad::mad::mad:

This is despite the fact that I took a sheet protector to my oath ceremony and specifically enclosed the certificate in a sheet protector before handing it over to the passport folks. I can't believe they screwed it up...idiots.

Can't do anything about it...maybe I'll apply for a replacement in a few years.

Wow! congrats! we were together on may 18 at montebello. I applied last week at USPS. I was told 3 weeks. The lady at the post office had an attitude. I told her i want to mail it in a protector jacket and that others have done it. she said no way. took the cert from me and STAPLED it to the application. Aghhhhh she can not even speak proper English. It annoys me sometimes.. :mad:

I had to show them a printout of the itinerary, showing that I had a flight coming up THE VERY NEXT DAY. I think if you have travel plans within 2 or 3 weeks, that's fine, too. I made the appointment 2 weeks beforehand, I think. They wouldn't let me do it any earlier, but I did it as soon as I got within the 2-week window. Not positive about the 2 weeks -- check the website.

Reminders: I wasted about 15 minutes going back and forth between the passport agency and my car, first because I had a cell phone (not allowed), and second because it turned out I also had a camera in my bag (also not allowed). This is at the Los Angeles Federal Building in Westwood. I would try to show up and get in line as early as possible because there were hundreds of people all with the same 8 AM appointment, and by the time you're #100, you're almost 3 hours behind #1. Also, I waited and waited and finally submitted my paperwork around 10:30, and they told me to come back between 1 and 3 to pick up the passport. When I showed up at 1:30, the line was already about 200 people long. Seriously. So, if they say 1, show up at least at 12:30 and get in line.

Thanks for the info. I was going that route and then i was told i can not schedule the interview before i become a citizen. So waiting for the oath ceremony to schedule the interview and then waiting for 10 days for a slot defeated the purpose... I guess i should have just gone ahead and scheduled it.

N400 - Status

Finally recieved the interview notice after almost 6 months. unpredictable...

Case did not dissapear from USCIS website.

11/06/06: Mailed to CSC
11/14/06: Priority Date
11/27/06: FP Notice Rcd
12/05/06: FP Date (Gardena CIS)
05/26/07: Interview Notice Rcd
07/13/07: Interview Date (Downtown LA)

Just want to share with you guys. Hope this will help !!

CSC, Los Angeles DO
1/7/2007: App Malied
1/9/2007: App Received
1/9/2007: Priority Date
1/26/2007: FP Notice Rcd
2/10/2007: FP Date (Rosemead)
4/2/2007: Interview Notice Rcd
5/29/2007: Interview Date, Passed :D (Downtown LA)
5/29/2007 : Notice of Oath Ceremony Rcd, given on the spot
6/22/2007: Oath Ceremony (LA Convention Center)
6/22/2007: Passport Applied
?????????: Passport Received

Congrats Finalstep!

Very interesting that you received your oath ceremony notice on the spot. This is definitely a shift from the LA DO's procedure from the past. Hopefully it's not an isolated instance and they start issuing them during the interview in the future.

Just want update

Thanks all of you

Oath Completed Today.

My timeline

12/20/06: Mailed to CSC
1/4/07: Received 12/21/06 as ND and 12/21/06 as PD
01/10/07: Received "Fingerprinting Notificaiton" with 1/18/07 as FPD
02/20/07: USCIS website enquiry - Case retrieval failed (Hope it indicates that I am going to receive Interview letter).
02-23-2007: Interview letter (IL) receive Date
04-20-2007: Interview Date (Cleared interview)
05-08-2007 : Oath Letter Received
05-30-2007 : Oath Date (Fairplex Building 4 at 12:30pm)
05-30-2007 : Oath Completed. Officially become US Citizen
05-30-2007 : Passport Applied (Expedited Service)

Thanks everyone. Any questions I am happy to answer.

Congrats Finalstep!

Very interesting that you received your oath ceremony notice on the spot. This is definitely a shift from the LA DO's procedure from the past. Hopefully it's not an isolated instance and they start issuing them during the interview in the future.

I wasn't the only one who got the oath ceremory notice on the spot. After i passed the interview, officer send me to another room ( i think it was 6001) to get the oath ceremory, many ppl were there.

Would this be a problem?

I mailed my N-400 Application on May 23, 2007 (Laguna Niguel Office) and I just used the 'Delivery Confirmation.' The tracking info said the Office received my application the next day (May 24).

Now, I forgot to write my name behind the 2 pictures. Will this be a problem. I did manage to write my "A Number"... will this be a problem? Will this cause delay?

Oh... remember the school/employment history on the form? Since I am a student, I only put the names of my school. I did work part-time once and filed my taxes promptly... but I did not list it because it said, "if you're a student... etc." Will this be problem too?

And lastly, my application is pretty straightforward, no violations, no kids, no marriages, no travel, how long does it usually take for cases like this? And are there November/December oath taking because I noticed that almost everyone here has Oath dates from February to July each year...

THANK YOU!!!

Arashijing:

Not a problem. I didn't write anything on the back of my pictures because I couldn't write on it. It was fine. When they send you your interview notice, they'll ask you to bring extra pictures to your interview. Just take two pictures to your interview just in case they lose the ones you sent them and you should be fine.