Los Angeles, CA - N-400 Timeline

almostthere22 said:
Just finished my interview today at the El Monte USCIS center. It was scheduled at 1:30pm, left my apt at 12 noon, reached El Monte at 12:30pm. I managed to cover 25 miles in about 25 minutes, not bad for LA.

I parked in their parking lot. Apparently its a flat rate of $5 but they didn't charge me anything when I left.

Was told to wait in the second floor waiting area. I was called for the interview at 2:45pm, approximately 2 hrs after I reached there and 1 hr after my scheduled interview time. I got a great interviewing officer. He was joking all the time. Even forgot to give me the civics test and remembered only when he had to put a tick mark on his checklist. The interview questions were a standard list of 10 questions. He did not ask me for any document except driver license, green card and passport.

After the interview was told to wait on the first floor. There I noticed that most of the people who were waiting upstairs (when I reached at 12:30) were now waiting downstairs. There was no real point of finishing the interview early since they had to wait downstairs for the oath appt letter. Finally received the oath appt letter at 3:30pm. The oath ceremony is on Sep 22 at the LA downtown convention center.

-------------------------------------------------
My timeline
04-26-06: Mailed Application
04-27-06: Application reached Laguna Niguel office
05-02-06: Check cleared (PD May 01, 2006)
05-25-06: FP at Van Nuys
07-28-06: Interview notice: Sep 6, 2006
09-06-06: Interview at El Monte
09-22-06: Oath Ceremony at Downtown LA
CONGRATULATIONS Buddy !!!!!!!!!!!!

almostthere22 said:
Just finished my interview today at the El Monte USCIS center. It was scheduled at 1:30pm, left my apt at 12 noon, reached El Monte at 12:30pm. I managed to cover 25 miles in about 25 minutes, not bad for LA.

I parked in their parking lot. Apparently its a flat rate of $5 but they didn't charge me anything when I left.

Was told to wait in the second floor waiting area. I was called for the interview at 2:45pm, approximately 2 hrs after I reached there and 1 hr after my scheduled interview time. I got a great interviewing officer. He was joking all the time. Even forgot to give me the civics test and remembered only when he had to put a tick mark on his checklist. The interview questions were a standard list of 10 questions. He did not ask me for any document except driver license, green card and passport.

After the interview was told to wait on the first floor. There I noticed that most of the people who were waiting upstairs (when I reached at 12:30) were now waiting downstairs. There was no real point of finishing the interview early since they had to wait downstairs for the oath appt letter. Finally received the oath appt letter at 3:30pm. The oath ceremony is on Sep 22 at the LA downtown convention center.

My timeline
05-02-06: Check cleared (PD May 01, 2006)
07-28-06: Interview notice: Sep 6, 2006
09-06-06: Interview at El Monte
09-22-06: Oath Ceremony at Downtown LA

dude thats cool !! My wife has int on sep 26 and me on sep 27..The next oath ceremony is on Oct 25 at Fairplex in Pomona..I hope we both get those dates and the interviewing officer is nice..

Hello all. I'm a new user to these forums. I just registered in the hope that someone could shed some light on when I should expect my interview.

I submitted my application on April 28th, 2006. A couple of weeks later, I got a receipt notice from CIS. The "Received Date" & "Priority Date" on the letter are both May 3, 2006. I just checked the status online and it shows a priority date of May 8, 2006. Not sure what the reason for the discrepancy is but I trust it's not a big deal. A couple of days later I got my fingerprint notice. It asked that I come in on May 24th or any subsequent Wednesday. As it turned out, I had my finger prints taken on June 28th.

That's where I'm at now. Just waiting for the interview letter. I noticed that another user in this thread, almostthere22, submitted his application about the same time as I did and he received his interview letter on July 28th. He also had his fingerprints taken a month before I did, so I thought perhaps that's one reason I have yet to hear. But another user, msnsweeps, submitted his app on June 1st and had his fingerprints done on the same day as I did (albeit at the Van Nuys office instead of the office on Wilshire; should that matter?) So I can't help wondering if I should be worried. I guess it sounds like I already am worried, actually.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, advice, or words of wisdom you can share.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nikko

Yes we did FP same day albeit different offices. Did u call FBI to check status and see when it was returned back to CSC ( usually its within 24 hrs ). I dont know if your name is stuck in that background check everyone is talking about. I was surprised my wife and I got the IV so fast within 5 weeks of FP.

Nikko,

Don't panic. I had my FP taken on 5/31 and just got a letter
a couple of weeks ago. It seems things have slown down after
the whole name check mess. I'm actually quite optimistic, as
the delay might be a sign of all the name checks completed...
Relax dude.

mnsweeps said:
Nikko

Yes we did FP same day albeit different offices. Did u call FBI to check status and see when it was returned back to CSC ( usually its within 24 hrs ).

Hey there. Thanks for the quick response. How do I go about checking with the FBI? If I am stuck in name check hell, is that an FBI issue as well?

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

My wife's timeline and experience

Thanks all...

My wife just finished her interview today at the El Monte USCIS center. It was scheduled at 7am, she reached El Monte at 6:35am.

She parked in their parking lot. Its a flat rate of $5 and they did charge her. I wonder why they didn't take any money from me. Maybe because I had to wait for a long time!?

She was called for the interview at 6:45am which lasted for about 5 mins. Not a fun officer like mine but asked some basic questions and got it over in 5 mins. Only driver license and green card was requested from her. The interview questions were a standard list of 10 questions.

After the interview was told to wait on the first floor. She has to wait for 1 hour before receiving the oath appt letter. She was out of there by 8am. The oath ceremony is on Sep 22 (same day/time as mine) at the LA downtown convention center.

Woo Hoo...

Her timeline
05-03-06: Check cleared (PD Apr 28, 2006)
07-27-06: Interview notice: Sep 7, 2006 at 7am
09-07-06: Interview at El Monte
09-22-06: Oath Ceremony at downtown LA

New

I ve been browsing these blogs for about a year now, this is my forst time posting.

First of all I want to cangrat all of you who are throyght with this name check s hole.
I just want to share with you all my experience.

N400 mailed 11-2004
FP 12/2004
Interview 03-21-2005 ( Passed the interview but still pending name check)
Contacted Congressman's office : 03-2006
Oath ceremony :

and still waiting as of today

Any suggestions??

N400BS said:
I ve been browsing these blogs for about a year now, this is my forst time posting.

First of all I want to cangrat all of you who are throyght with this name check s hole.
I just want to share with you all my experience.

N400 mailed 11-2004
FP 12/2004
Interview 03-21-2005 ( Passed the interview but still pending name check)
Contacted Congressman's office : 03-2006
Oath ceremony :

and still waiting as of today

Any suggestions??

Hello N400BS

Yes, you should read here more " http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?p=1510500#post1510500 "… and my advice is to read from page 1 till the end.

Good luck

I received my IL today. Yay. Does that mean my name check must have cleared? I heard they weren't scheduling interviews anymore until the name check had come back. Hope that's true.

Anyway, my interview is scheduled for 10/20 in the federal building. Is there a anything I should know about that? It seems from most of the accounts on here that the El Monte office gets a lot of the naturalization interviews, but maybe that's not true.

I noticed that the next oath ceremony after my interview is 10/25. If approved, any chance that I will get into that one?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hello,
For the last few years I've been reading a lot of information on these boards to assist me and my husband with obtaining his greencard, and now citizenship. I have never posted.........but felt like I would add my husbands timeline, below, to help others that may follow us down this path.

His interview was in El Monte on 8.29.2006. He arrived much earlier than his 9:30am appointment because as you can never predict traffic, he left home earlier than necessary. They ended up letting him in for his interview early -- so he left the building by noon that day. He did recieve an oath ceremony letter while he was in El Monte that day.

He will attend his oath ceremony this Friday afternoon, in LA, at 2pm. The letter he has indicates that he needs to be there at 1pm.

We're so glad this is almost over. Thanks to everyone who has posted on this board. We learned a lot by reading everything over the past several months.

04.20.06 priority date
05.03.06 official notice date
05.19.06 fingerprint appointment in Van Nuys
06.22.06 interview notice date
08.29.06 interview date
09.22.06 oath ceremony

Thanks Kathy. Can you give details on what questions the officer asked? I am not talking about civis questions but other questions like traffic ticket etc..
kathyinca said:
Hello,
For the last few years I've been reading a lot of information on these boards to assist me and my husband with obtaining his greencard, and now citizenship. I have never posted.........but felt like I would add my husbands timeline, below, to help others that may follow us down this path.

His interview was in El Monte on 8.29.2006. He arrived much earlier than his 9:30am appointment because as you can never predict traffic, he left home earlier than necessary. They ended up letting him in for his interview early -- so he left the building by noon that day. He did recieve an oath ceremony letter while he was in El Monte that day.

He will attend his oath ceremony this Friday afternoon, in LA, at 2pm. The letter he has indicates that he needs to be there at 1pm.

We're so glad this is almost over. Thanks to everyone who has posted on this board. We learned a lot by reading everything over the past several months.

04.20.06 priority date
05.03.06 official notice date
05.19.06 fingerprint appointment in Van Nuys
06.22.06 interview notice date
08.29.06 interview date
09.22.06 oath ceremony

I attended oath ceremony for my wife last Friday. it was really great
and touching. It's funny - she's American now and my interview is
in two weeks :)

Her interview experience was quite original. Her IO was tough
- she was asked to write a little story about a subject she started -
way more then just a simple sentence in English.
She was also asked ~ 50 questions - all of them from the list and
she answered all of them correctly. It's just weird her IO kept
asking more and more questions for half an hour...

Everybody in El Monte was given oath letters right away - for a ceremony
just a week later - that suggests the name check is now done
before the IL are sent out.

Anyway it's my turn now...

Wife successfully completed her interview today at El Monte. They told her that the oath letter would come in mail . None of them got the oath letter there so I think its universal now that the oath letter would be mailed. Standard 10 questions was asked. I got all my papers with me but they did not allow me to give interview today as my appt is for tomorrow.

mnsweeps said:
...so I think its universal now that the oath letter would be mailed.

No it's not. Obviously sometimes they give oath letters right away,
sometimes they say they'd mail it.
Maybe when the interview is closer to the date of upcoming
ceremony, they give the letters right away?

Just successfully completed my interview at El Monte. It was over with 10 minutes...officer was cool...was told i will get my interview letter in mail. Yes snowboarder you are right I think...if the oath dates are closer they give it away at the office...

Received Oath Ceremony letter yesterday. Oath is at Pomona on 10/25/2006 at 12:30 PM

Here is my timeline

PD 4/28/2006
FP ND 5/12/2006
FP 5/25/2006 FBI cleared(?) 5/26/2006
Received Notice to appear again for FP (dated 6/16 , Recd 6/21) from ASC
2 FP scheduled 7/5/2006 but submitted on 6/30/2006 (walk in -- No problem)
FP (FBI) cleared 7/3
Interview Letter mailed from Laguna Niguel on 7/31
Received IL on 8/2
CA service center
DO SANBERNARDINO
Interview Date: 9/8/2006
Oath Date: 10/25/2006

My wife's IL got lost in the mail. I noticed the change on the website
("can't be found... ") so we got an infopass and went to the Downtown
office and got a copy. It was just about time, two weeks before the date
of her interview(!). I think you have to monitor the website, if the status
changes to "can't be found", wait a week and get an infopass.