Los Angeles, CA - N-400 Timeline

The 800 number is very specific in stating that INS agents do not have any other information beyond what is in the automated call. Has anyone found this to be contrary?
As far as InfoPass, I would choose the option below:

Case Services follow-up appointment[/B] - If it has been over 45 days since you contacted NCSC and have not received a response to your inquiry. You must bring the Service Request ID Number related to your inquiry to the appointment.

How does one get a Service Request ID?

Btw, for you and I 45 days exactly would be tomorrow, but I'm sure you knew that too.:D

Btw, I work in downtown and there is a mad rush of people to the convention center for you know what. Oh the envy.....

The 800 number is very specific in stating that INS agents do not have any other information beyond what is in the automated call.
That's correct, they don't have more information, but they have ability to transfer your call to an IO who has access to more information.
As far as InfoPass, I would choose the option below:

Case Services follow-up appointment[/B] - If it has been over 45 days since you contacted NCSC and have not received a response to your inquiry. You must bring the Service Request ID Number related to your inquiry to the appointment.

How does one get a Service Request ID?
The customer service agent at 1-800 number can open a service request for you if your application is pending more than the posted processing time. However, contrary to what the Infopass instructions state, you do not need a service request number in order to schedule an appointment under this option.

That's correct, they don't have more information, but they have ability to transfer your call to an IO who has access to more information.

I wonder how receptive they are to this request of being transferred to an IO? Btw, I see that you've been finished with this process for some time, yet you stick around to help those of us still in it. Thank you.

Finally, I am a US citizen!

I attended the 8:00 am oath ceremony today at LA Convention Center. I got there at exactly 8:00 am. The official ceremony started promptly at 9:00 am and ended at 9:25 am. I got a little emotional when the music video "God Bless the USA" was played. There were 6,118 new citizens this morning. I had my naturalization certificate in my hands at 10:08 am. It was a sweet end to my journey. I went home straight to make several copies of my certificate. I will be going now to the SSA office to update my record and then to the Post Office to apply for my passport book and passport card.

I congratulate all who became new US citizens along with me today.

I wish all those waiting for their interviews and their oath letters the best. Your turn is coming very soon.

Thanks a lot to the members of this forum who selflessly shared their experiences and continually do so even after they became US citizens in their untiring desire to help others.

God bless us all and God bless the USA!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats, Sirch320:p

I attended the 8:00 am oath ceremony today at LA Convention Center. I got there at exactly 8:00 am. The official ceremony started promptly at 9:00 am and ended at 9:25 am. I got a little emotional when the music video "God Bless the USA" was played. There were 6,118 new citizens this morning. I had my naturalization certificate in my hands at 10:08 am. It was a sweet end to my journey. I went home straight to make several copies of my certificate. I will be going now to the SSA office to update my record and then to the Post Office to apply for my passport book and passport card.

I congratulate all who became new US citizens along with me today.

I wish all those waiting for their interviews and their oath letters the best. Your turn is coming very soon.

Thanks a lot to the members of this forum who selflessly shared their experiences and continually do so even after they became US citizens in their untiring desire to help others.

God bless us all and God bless the USA!

Anyone get an OL who interviewed around 12/8 or 12/9 in Los Angeles? Beacon29, Bedun?

I'm in the same situation, my interview was 12/10/08 and i haven't received the oath letter yet, I am getting pretty upset here because I know a lot people have gotten theirs, hopefully we will get our letters soon, if you guys get your OL please post it. Thanks!!

I'm in the same situation, my interview was 12/10/08 and i haven't received the oath letter yet, I am getting pretty upset here because I know a lot people have gotten theirs, hopefully we will get our letters soon, if you guys get your OL please post it. Thanks!!

Anna, please post your signature timeline.

Sirch320, my brother was at the ceremony in LA this morning as well. He said that on your way out, there were representatives from the Post Office ready to take apps for passports. That's all he said, can you confirm these details?

Sirch320, my brother was at the ceremony in LA this morning as well. He said that on your way out, there were representatives from the Post Office ready to take apps for passports. That's all he said, can you confirm these details?

Yes, that's correct.

Many applied there but I didn't. I'm one of those who want to make copies of their brand new naturalization certificate (I made a dozen colored ones) and go to SSA to update their citizenship. SSA needs to see the original certificate.

I was able to update my citizenship at SSA and apply for my passport book and passport card at a local post office today. The post office personnel told me that it is illegal to make copies of the naturalization certificate. Is this correct? (I have been doing this when I copied my wife's for my petition and for her parents' petitions. USCIS requires copies of the naturalization certificate as supporting document.) Let's ask our forum gurus on this one.

Two comments that I have: I did not get a letter from the US President and there was no video-taped speech from the President either. I guess they have not had the opportunity to prepare those yet.

Good luck elec99!

Hi, yes I have also "heard" that it is illegal to make copies of the certificate but I can't gurantee it 100% for sure, it's just one of those things we hear,, Can anyone confirm or deny this for sure it would be of great help :)

Where did you find that information?

Obviously, if USCIS asks for copies of your naturalization certificate, then it isn't illegal to make B&W copies of it. Since one can easily tell that a B&W copy is, indeed, a copy, then there's no problem. I don't have a source other than what the post office told my father when he applied for his passport and asked them about copies.

Hi Everyone,

I also had my oath ceremony today. I arrived at 12:30 and immediately joined the crowd of people being ushered in the hall. It took a while and the actual ceremony started at around 2:00. I got out 20 minutes after.

Thank you to everyone in this forum for the support. It's really great to have this especially during the time when we were anxiously waiting for the next steps!

Regarding the copies, can someone verify for sure? as i need to copy my certificate for petition for my wife.

Hi, yes I have also "heard" that it is illegal to make copies of the certificate but I can't gurantee it 100% for sure, it's just one of those things we hear,, Can anyone confirm or deny this for sure it would be of great help :)

Considering you have to send/submit your original certificate for a passport, and unless you expedite it you will be w/o it for MONTHS, i would not blame anyone for making copies of it. It would be the responsible thing to do, illegal or not, imo. Think about it, you just gave them your Green Card, Rentry Permit (not everyone has this), now you really have nothing in your possession.

Sirch320, my brother did also say that he was told copies were not legal, he heard this at the ceremony, it didn't make sense to me when he told me this. I don't doubt the information you've been given, just doesn't make sense.

Beacon29 and others, The OL for 1/29 was postmarked at the end of December, 12/30 to be exact. Logic tells me that the OL for 2/26 should be postmarked for the end of January. If we are blessed enough, you, myself, and others should be getting it by next week??

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh btw, 6000 people X $675 = 4,050,000 million bucks.
Now, I don't know if it's 6000 people for the entire day, or that given time slot, but that's still nice. 4 mil X 12 months = 48 mil/yr. Not to mention the other ceremonies on the same day at other locations in Cal or otherwise.

With that kind of cash, it would make sense to invest it in better almost-real-time tracking info, not to mention making the process much faster. (btw, for those who didn't know, Northrup Grunman handles the FP and some levels of the background check according to the guy who took my FP).

Sirch320 and others who are finished, if you could, I wonder what you would see if you went to the Online Case Status now? I wouldn't be surprised if the only entry is still the reception of your application. Pathetic progress tracking....