T B D : Fingerprinting done
T B D : Interview letter received
T B D : Interview Date
T B D : Oath Letter Received
T B D : Oath Date
T B D : Passport

PD = Priority Date; ND = Notice Date; AD = Appt. Date

processing fee and fingerprint fee

when i filed n-400 application, i just wrote one check in the amount of $400. would it cause problems instead of writing two separate checks? it's been 8 days (delivered by FedEx), but my check has not cleared as of yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
$400 single check is fine.

JJJ240,
A single check of $400 is fine. I did the same in Jan 2007. Got the Receipt in 10 days and had my FP done in one month.

Good Luck!

Oath letter recieved

was told it is taking 4 to 5 months to get the oath letter in LA...

Mine took only 8 business days from the Interview date to the receive the oath letter. The IO told me that you would recieve letter in 90 days. I am pleasantly surprised :)

===============
Santa Ana, CA DO
My timeline
PD - 10/06/2006
FP Done - 10/24/2006
Interview Date - 03/06/2007
Oath Letter Received - 03/15/2007
Oath Date - 03/22/2007 LA Convention center

Sayeed
When did you receive the interview letter?
thanks...

Mine took only 8 business days from the Interview date to the receive the oath letter. The IO told me that you would recieve letter in 90 days. I am pleasantly surprised :)

===============
Santa Ana, CA DO
My timeline
PD - 10/06/2006
FP Done - 10/24/2006

That is lightning fast for Sayeed!
Sayeed, could you post your Interview Notice Date? How long you waited after FP to get the interview notice? Thank you.

Interview experience at downtown LA

Hi All,

I successfully completed my interview in the Federal building in LA Downtown area. I thought of posting the experience for benefit of those who are scheduled for interview there.

First of all, I was very pleased to see the progress on my case. It took less than 5 months to reach the interview date from the date of mailing the application. I did the following to prepare myself:-

1) I made sure that I had all documents handy. These include:-
a) Notice Letter, and a copy for my record keeping. Please note they take away the letter from you at the interview.
b) Green Card - and copy.
c) Passport(s) and copies- I had both current as well as an expired one.
d) Marriage Certificate - original and copy, just in case.
e) Birth Certificate - original and copy.
f) Letters from employers - current and previous.
g) Pay stubs - I carried last 5, including 2 from a previous employer.
h) Tax Transcripts - Last 3 years + printouts of PDF files for 2001 & 2002. IRS site has a 1-800 number. You can order transcripts using the automated phone system. It does not cost anything. The letters from IRS arrived within 5 days. It is good to order account info plus returns for each of the previous 3 years. Note that IRS has a separate phone option on their IVR for requesting the same.
i) Recent Utility Bill - from Phone Company.
j) Recent Letter from the Bank.
Item g) and h) can be used to prove residency at current address just in case if the officer asked about that.
k) Driver License & copy.
l) 2 photographs.
m) I-140 Approval Notice.
n) A ball pen and a pencil.
o) I also carried my W2s for the current as well as previous years going back 5 years
p) All notices pertaining to the case.

As you can see, I was being extra cautious with the documents. I did that just to be safe. I neatly arranged them inside a 21 slots file folder. You can get one from Staples for about 10 bucks. It is really worth it. You wouldn't drop papers on the floor, besides the officer will see that you are well organized.

2) I prepared for the test using material from the web site. I went through the flash cards, borrowed 3 books from a public library, even tried one of the online software.

3) I visited the Federal building a week before just to make sure that I knew the location and knew where to park etc.

Then came the big day....I got up early and reached the Federal building downtown almost hour and half before the scheduled time. Please note that there is public mall parking right opposite the Federal building on the other side of the street. The parking charges were $10.50. It was really worth it as I didn't have to walk 3 blocks (the other public parking is nearly 3 or 4 blocks away).

There was a line out side the entrance. It was not big at all. I got to the security within 10minutes. I had left my cell phone back in the car thinking that they wouldn't allow it inside. But, it turns out that they did allow people to carry cell phones inside.

I took the elevator to the designated floor and went to the room mentioned in the notice letter. The guard was friendly; he looked at the letter and saw that I was early. He asked me if I had breakfast and coffee before I got here. When I said I did, he just motioned me to take the seat. The room was pretty empty, with only two other people. As I was waiting, few more people streaked in. One guy received a call on the cell phone. The guard asked them to cut it down. (Tip ---> turn off the cell phone when you are inside)

As I was waiting, an immigration officer called my name few minutes before the scheduled time. The officer took me to their own private office and asked me to repeat "I swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth.....so, help me god...". After swearing that, I took the seat in front. The officer asked me to present my passport, the green card and the driver's license.

It seems the officer had my entire folder. It was so thick that I felt that they not only had the N-400 application, but all previous applications related to my immigration journey. The officer also had my case up on the monitor. As the officer was going through the screen and the thick folder, they started asking me questions. I was asked if I am still at my current address, if I am married, my wife's name, whether I am filing on my own or on my wife (based on marriage), whether I have been married before, whether I have any children etc.

The officer asked me if I am still with the employer mentioned on the application. When I said no, I was asked to write down the name and address of new employer. I was also asked what kind of business we were in. The officer asked me to name the petitioner on my green card. They also asked me about recent trip outside USA. When I gave the dates, I was asked how many days did the trip last. Since the trip occurred after filing the N-400 application, the officer made additional notes on the application. I was asked if I had taken a trip that lasted more than 6 months. I had none.

The officer also asked me the date when I was finger printed last. When I told that, I was asked if it was for the same application. I said yes. I was not surprised by the question as my actual finger printing date was different from the scheduled one. The officer probably caught the discrepancy, but did not say anything and proceeded with the rest.

Then the officer started reading from the application on background info such as, if I was arrested, detained by law enforcement officer, whether I owed back taxes to IRS. I said no to all of that. I was asked if I already filed taxes for 2006. I said I will do that before the tax deadline. They asked if I have filed for previous years. I said yes, and asked if they would like to see the tax transcripts. The officer said that was not necessary.

After that the officer pulled out a sheet that had my name, address, phone numbers, SSN etc. and asked me to verify. I told everything was correct, except my daytime number. They asked me to cross it out and write the new number, which I did. Then I signed the sheet and handed it back. As it so happens, I never had to produce any documents during the entire process. But, I had them anyway for safety sake.

After all that, the officer said, "I am going to ask you some questions on history and civics". The questions are listed below.
1) What colors are there on the flag - Red, White & Blue
2) Who is the president - George W. Bush
3) What is the minimum voting age in US - 18
4) Who was the president during civil war - Abraham Lincoln
5) Who becomes president should both President and Vice President die - Speaker of the house
6) In which was the constitution written - 1787
7) What amendments of the constitution guarantee rights to vote - I said I am not entirely sure, but I know that amendment 26 is regarding minimum voting age. I also believe that there are amendment 15, and 24 that relate to right to vote. It was accepted as valid answer. I got all 7 right.

Then the officer asked me to write, "Today is a sunny day". After I did that, the officer said, "Congratulations, you have passed. We will send you an appointment for oath ceremony". The officer handed me the N-652 (Naturalization Interview Results), and shook hands with me and told me, "Have a nice day.". I thanked the officer and said that it was pleasure meeting today. I wished the officer a nice day as well.

My wife also finished her interview the same day. I waited for her to come out and we both left the room. As we were leaving, the guard wished us a nice day. We did the same in return. The whole thing ended in about an hour for me and my wife. Everybody was so nice.... I had a great time.

This marks a big landmark in my immigration journey. Finally, the monkey is off the shoulder. I wish all of you luck with your cases. I promise to post my oath ceremony experience when it occurs. I also thank Rajiv Khanna for maintaining a great website. For me, it all began here. This web site is a great source of information for all aspiring immigrants.

----------------------------------------------------------------
N-400 Timeline
----------------------------------------------------------------
11-10-2006 Mailed to CSC
11-13-2006 Received Date (RD)
11-13-2006 Priority Date (PD)
11-16-2006 Checks cleared
11-20-2006 Receipt Notice Date
11-21-2006 Finger Print Notice Date
11-30-2006 FP Appointment Date
12-10-2006 Finger printing done (delayed due to personal reason)
01-30-2007 Interview Notice Date
02-02-2007 Received Interview Notice in the mail
02-04-2007 Case disappeared from USCIS web site
03-15-2007 Interview Appointment Date
03-15-2007 Interview done
TBD Oath Notice
TBD Oath done

Interview letter

Sayeed
When did you receive the interview letter?
thanks...

I received my interview letter on 01/27/2006. I have a very common Muslim name , and had never thought that my name check would finish so quickly.

As I said earlier... I am pleasantly surprised.:)

Good Luck to all of you !
-------------------------
Santa Ana, CA DO
My time line
PD - 10/06/2006
FP Done - 10/24/2006
Interview Letter Received 01/27/2007

I mailed my citizenship application with check payable to "Immigration & Naturlization Service". will it get return, as l realize later that it was suppose to Homeland security? what do you guys think, what might possibly happen?

You should be ok

I think you should be ok, since you used the old name, I am sure the bank and USCIS still sees some of these cases.

I mailed my citizenship application with check payable to "Immigration & Naturlization Service". will it get return, as l realize later that it was suppose to Homeland security? what do you guys think, what might possibly happen?

Can anyone tell me what impact it might have on N 400 application form for making the fees payable to "Immigration & naturalization service" instead of "Dept. Of Homeland Security". It was error on my part.Anyone had any previous experience?

Can anyone tell me what impact it might have on N 400 application form for making the fees payable to "Immigration & naturalization service" instead of "Dept. Of Homeland Security". It was error on my part.Anyone had any previous experience?

As long as they get the money in their bucket, they are happy. You are fine.

M-476 states...

M-476 states...
"You must send the $400.00 fee with your application. Pay the fee with a check or money
order drawn on a U.S. bank payable to the Department of Homeland Security. Do not use the initials DHS or USDHS. Do Not Send Cash."

For your case, I have no idea. Just wait and see ;)

Fingerprinting question

I have been lurking this forum and it has been a great help. I recently got my fingerprint done at Van Nuys CIS and it was not crowded at all. Some fingers need to be scanned multiple times because I might have pressed bit toward the glass.

Question is...
When it is done, there was little flashy text on the screen says "match warning". It flashes 2-3 times then disappeared. What does it mean? I don't have any criminal record. Only time I've fingerprinted was at the time of i-485 processing 6-7 years ago, and no problem at all at that time.

BTW, I have confirmed that FBI returned the results back to immigration on the same day. When I asked about the results, they don't tell.

What is going on??? Should I be worry about possible delayed processing?

Please share with your info...

Do not worry

I think that is pretty normal, the same thing happened to me and I did not get stuck in the namecheck or encounter any other issues so far.

When it is done, there was little flashy text on the screen says "match warning". It flashes 2-3 times then disappeared. What does it mean? I don't have any criminal record. Only time I've fingerprinted was at the time of i-485 processing 6-7 years ago, and no problem at all at that time.
Please share with your info...

My Interview experience

I had my interview today and here are the details:

The interview was scheduled for 7:15 am at the LA downtown Field Office (300 N. Los Angeles st.), I went and scoped the area last week for parking etc., there is a parking garage right across from the USCIS building, it opens at 4:00 am and closes at 5:00 pm, this is the closest public parking available. Note that the Parking garage is closed on all federal holidays and probably weekends as well. This garage is located in the basement of the mall called Los Angeles Mall and the parking garage only accepts cash, no checks or credit cards.

I reached the building after parking the car at 6:45 am and there was already a line of about 30-40 people in front of the building, note that there are two separate lines, one for infopass appointments and the other for interviews. The line for the infopass appeared much shorter, I got in the interview line and the line was not moving much, I was getting worried about whether I was going to be in time for the 7:15 appt, I went to the guard to say that my appt. was at 7:15 am and the line was pretty long, he said go back and stand in the line, I went back hoping that it moves, by about 7:00 am there were about another 30 people behind me. The line started moving really quickly at 7:00 am and that is when I realized that they did not open the doors for public until 7:00 am, so there is not point getting there much before 7:00 am unless you enjoy the morning chill in the open air with traffic buzzing by.

I went through security and I put the backpack in the scanner, I had all my files in the backpack. They did allow the cellphone to be carried into the building and into USCIS office. I went up to the 6th floor where the citizenship office is located and the guard looked at my IL and asked me to drop it in a tray in front of window 1 and I did that and settled into a chair, I noticed that the guard was not allowing people in even those who had appt at 7:30, he was asking them to come back at 7:15 and he was very tough with people that wanted to come in and wait for the interview, he said to couple of people "you heard me!". There were about 20 people waiting in the room by the time I was called in and some of them were there for infopass appts.

I was called in at about 7:20 a.m by the IO and he did not even say "hi" and I was thinking he is going to be tough but he turned out be the opposite, he was very pleasant and jovial by the end of the interview, I followed him to his office, he asked my for my green card and drivers license and these were the only two things he asked me during the whole process, he went and made copies of them and returned them to me. He put me under oath, after filling in some paperwork and browsing through the file, his first question was about my name in the app and asked if I used any other names, I said I never changed my last name but my first name was listed in couple of ways in the immigration documents with the format "Firstname Middlename Lastname" and I only listed "FirstnameMiddlename Lastname" in the app., he nodded and he was ok with that, he started going through my app. really quickly, he confirmed that I was still at the same address, work for the employer I listed in the app., he confirmed that I was still married and that was my only marriage, he asked the same about my wife and he asked whether I have any kids, I said no and that is when he started joking, why not?, you should have them soon etc. and I said I need my wife's health to get better etc,. and this led into discussions about Indians being vegetarians and how he thought they were healthy in general etc., we had some more discussion about vegetarianism at the end of the interview as well. He continued with the app. and asked if I had any drunk driving tickets and he also asked if I have any pending traffic tickets and I said no but I got one after I applied for citizenship and he confirmed if I got that resolved, I said I took traffic school and paid the fine, he said that is fine, FYI, I did not list any my other traffic tickets on the app. After this he started asking me the civics question, here are some of the questions

What colors are the stripes on the flag?
What is the capital of United States?
What is the capital of Caliornia?
Who nominates the supreme court justices?
When was the constitution written?
Who is the head of a state government?
What was the 49th state to be added to the Union?
Name some countries that were enemies of US in world war II?
What is the minimum voting age in United States?
How many branches are there in the government or what are the three branches of the government? I cannot recall the exact question

After I answered these questions, he asked me to write "They came to the United States to live" on the paper, after that he browsed through my file again and he asked me to sign the photos with pen and also asked me to sign the app. he completed his paperwork and marked the app. approved and he filled in some other paperwork and he gave me form N-652(Naturalization Interview Results) and marked the box that said "You passed the tests of English and U.S. history and government" and marked the space which said, Congratulations!, your application has been recommended for approval. He said congratulations you passed and should be getting the oath letter in 90 days but possibly sooner and that was it and I was in and out of his office in 20 mins.

I think a lot depends on the attitude of the IO, I heard another IO in the room across where I was having the interview, he was talking pretty tough(almost rude) with an Indian lady and her English was pretty good but not 100% fluent, he was almost yelling at her for every question and repeating the questions impatiently while the lady was trying to answer him, he should not be working at a job that needs interaction with people all day, I felt bad for the lady and I hope she passed the interview.

As far as the documentation, I took most of the documents that I could gather, refer to the "Sticky" thread that lists what documents to take for the interview, thanks to JohnnyCash for the comprehensive list of documents that are needed for the interview. I did not have the I-140 copy, employers letter(I took last 4 paychecks from the employer) or old traffic ticket dispositions.

I owe a big thanks to the contributors of this forum and Mr. Khanna for having this forum. Also, thanks to Pump for posting his LA downtown interview experience and that helped me a lot as well.

I received the FP notice and the N-400 notice today, is CSC moving so fast that they are sending the Finger Printing notices along with the N-400 notices, at this rate the interview maybe scheduled way before my 5-year requirement of permenant residence is completed..anyone else got FP notices that applied recently?

mant0478, I know you passed your interview. Congratulations! So did your N-400 interview happened before your 5-year requirement of Permenant residence? Please advise.