Los Angeles, CA - N-400 Timeline

fchan100 said:
Just received my fingerprint notice today (08/25/2005)...
Hi,
just a suggestion, that you don't have to wait till your finger printing appointment date, you can go to the same location any time and ask them to take the finger prints, this will save a lot of your time. I did the same thing my finger printing appointment date was 8/10/05 but I gave my finger prints on 7/26/2005 and and I got my interview letter after a little over a month on 9/3/05 of my finger printing which is the usual time period between finger printing and interview letter. Now you can do the calculation for yourself.

rest is upto you.

good luck

My Timeline

PD: 06/10/2005
FP notice: 07/16/2005
FP appointment:08/10/2005
FP done : 07/26/2005
Online status disappeared: 09/02/2005
Interview letter in the mail:09/03/2005
Interview appointment : 10/24/2005 (EL Monte)
Oath : ???

My FP appointment was also 8/4 and I tried to get FPs done earlier in July. I wasn't allowed (fairfax ASC), I also tried El Monte ASC to no avail. It really depends on the officer/security guard who takes your appointment letter. The Fairfax guy was really anal about taking FPs earlier claiming extreme load (complete bull, I saw 7-8 people waiting, and when I finally did FPs - employees were barely busy, sitting around, passing stories and sipping coffee). Anyway, you may get lucky and get them done earlier, but judging from Syed's timeline I would say early FPs did not make that much difference. PD is more important, provided the namecheck or whatever bkd check they do is ok. I guess files are sitting on the shelf according to PD and move forward as the date moves. FP check turnaround at the FBI is 24 hours.
Anyway - doesn't hurt to try earlier FPs (more convenient for you) but do not get upset when they refuse you in a rude manner (what happend to me).
Good luck.

My timeline is:
PD 6/14
FP Letter 7/2
FP attempted 7/7 or around that date
FP taken 8/4 (the appointment date)
ID letter arrived 9/3 for 10/20

Status Check

I am new to this forum. Could you please post how I can check status of citizen application. My dad had an interview at El Monte office in March. He is not good in English so he had interpreter with him and he did not take citizenship exam, as he is not good in English. My dad applied through an Indian community service who works with people who are not good in English. Officer told my dad they need to review the file further to make any decision and he handed over WR-821 and N-652 (Naturalization Interview Results) form to my dad where he mentioned that further review is needed before making any decision. It’s been 6 month but we have not heard anything from them. I am also writing a written enquiry about the case as mentioned on above notices if they don’t send any results within 120 days from the date of the interview. Is there any telephone number to check the citizenship application status?

Thanks

Interview Done - My Experience

All,
My and my spouses interview was over today. Here are the experiences . My interview was at 1000 AM and my spouse at 0930AM. We were there by 0900AM. Had to show our interview letter, Green card, CA Driver licence. The security guard was turning away people with camera cell phones ( asking them to put it back in the car). Street parking was available in the side streets.

We were made to sit for 10 minutes at the Ground Level and then were taken to 1St level (batches of 10 people on first come first serve basis). There were about 100 people. We were asked to wait. My spouse appointment was at 09.30AM and she was called in at 09.20 AM

My spouse Experience: Was given a questionaire with 15 questions and was asked to answer. They were not multiple choice questions. The total time spent on the interview was 25 minutes. The interviewer was thorough and asked all details about past residences, past trips abroad ( one trip with 175 days and asked to explain and what the children were doing at that time not attending school in USA, what the spouse was doing in USA ), past employments etc. FInally was handed over a letter N-652 saying that "Passed Interview and Recommended for Approval". Asked to wait in the lobby to collect the Oath Letter. Waited in the obby from 09.45 AM till 10.45 AM. Received a letter for the Oath Ceremony for 09/23 iceremony at LA Convention Center. Over all it was smooth except for too many questions and little grilling on trip that lasted 175 days. No information on taxes was asked. When asked about Driving record, produced the CA DMV record and ithe interviewer was impressed . No details were asked about past H-1s.

My Experience - Interview time at 1000AM. Seated in the 1 st level lobby by 09.30 AM ( I accompanied my spouse). Called in by the Officer at 09.40AM. Went through my application and asked me four questions on History.
1) Name of the President
2) Name of the Vice President
3) CA State capital
4) CA state Governor
Whole interview time was 3 minutes. No questions were asked about any thing else. I made one trip abroad (after the application and FP but before interview which I mentioned and he wrote it in the application). Gave me N-652 with Approved and Recommended for Naturalization. Asked to wait in the Ground Level lobby to collect the Oath Letter. Collected the Oath letter at 10.45 (same time as my spouse) for Oath on 09/23 at LA Convention center at 01.00PM. Both of us were also given Passport Application packets.

There were around 100 people in the 1 st Level and the same number in the Ground Level. More than 85% of people were given Oath Letters. Only few were turned away with out the Oath Letters. Over Heard someone saying that there are lots of vaccancies for the Sep 23 ceremony. My feeling is that people who are waiting ( LA Area) should be getting Interview and Oath Letters Soon .
Please let me know of any questions and I will answer them.
Thank you all for your support.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simi Dude

Hi Simi Dude -

Congratulation on your success on the interview. I bet you will be excited the event two weeks from now... :)

I have two questions that see you could help. When you said your wife was "grilled" with the 175-day trip, did the interview officer looked into her passport, or even other documents for verifications? Also, how many trips aboard both you and your wife have taken?

Thanks and Congrat again.

-fchan100-

simidude said:
All,
My and my spouses interview was over today. Here are the experiences . My interview was at 1000 AM and my spouse at 0930AM. We were there by 0900AM. Had to show our interview letter, Green card, CA Driver licence. The security guard was turning away people with camera cell phones ( asking them to put it back in the car). Street parking was available in the side streets.

We were made to sit for 10 minutes at the Ground Level and then were taken to 1St level (batches of 10 people on first come first serve basis). There were about 100 people. We were asked to wait. My spouse appointment was at 09.30AM and she was called in at 09.20 AM

My spouse Experience: Was given a questionaire with 15 questions and was asked to answer. They were not multiple choice questions. The total time spent on the interview was 25 minutes. The interviewer was thorough and asked all details about past residences, past trips abroad ( one trip with 175 days and asked to explain and what the children were doing at that time not attending school in USA, what the spouse was doing in USA ), past employments etc. FInally was handed over a letter N-652 saying that "Passed Interview and Recommended for Approval". Asked to wait in the lobby to collect the Oath Letter. Waited in the obby from 09.45 AM till 10.45 AM. Received a letter for the Oath Ceremony for 09/23 iceremony at LA Convention Center. Over all it was smooth except for too many questions and little grilling on trip that lasted 175 days. No information on taxes was asked. When asked about Driving record, produced the CA DMV record and ithe interviewer was impressed . No details were asked about past H-1s.

My Experience - Interview time at 1000AM. Seated in the 1 st level lobby by 09.30 AM ( I accompanied my spouse). Called in by the Officer at 09.40AM. Went through my application and asked me four questions on History.
1) Name of the President
2) Name of the Vice President
3) CA State capital
4) CA state Governor
Whole interview time was 3 minutes. No questions were asked about any thing else. I made one trip abroad (after the application and FP but before interview which I mentioned and he wrote it in the application). Gave me N-652 with Approved and Recommended for Naturalization. Asked to wait in the Ground Level lobby to collect the Oath Letter. Collected the Oath letter at 10.45 (same time as my spouse) for Oath on 09/23 at LA Convention center at 01.00PM. Both of us were also given Passport Application packets.

There were around 100 people in the 1 st Level and the same number in the Ground Level. More than 85% of people were given Oath Letters. Only few were turned away with out the Oath Letters. Over Heard someone saying that there are lots of vaccancies for the Sep 23 ceremony. My feeling is that people who are waiting ( LA Area) should be getting Interview and Oath Letters Soon .
Please let me know of any questions and I will answer them.
Thank you all for your support.

Hello simidude,
Congratulation to you and your wife, and i wish you the best to all the good people here like you ....

Congratulations, Simidude, on completing yet another satge in this process!

Question: was oath date on 9/23 set for you already or did you have an option to choose. Normally, you would want to be done ASAP and that's what happens - you are given the earliest date. My problem is I will be traveling right after the interview for 2 weeks and if the oath is so close to interview date, I will not be able to make it. Should I then ask right there at the interview for oath date right after my planned return? Did you have that opportunity?
Thanks and congrats!

I do not know the answer

I think it was set up already for me, I guess. They did not give me a choice though. But, on the back of the Oath Ceremony form they gave me, there is number ( same 1-800 number of customer service) where I guess yoou can call and ask for a postponemnet.
I am not sure whether I answered your answered you or not.

Frm a personal perspective, if I were you I would postpone the trip ( assuming it is not very important like marriage etc), so that I can get over with the business with INS once for all. My personal opinions only and this may not matter at all.

Hope everything works out well for you too.
Bye for now
dks35 said:
Congratulations, Simidude, on completing yet another satge in this process!

Question: was oath date on 9/23 set for you already or did you have an option to choose. Normally, you would want to be done ASAP and that's what happens - you are given the earliest date. My problem is I will be traveling right after the interview for 2 weeks and if the oath is so close to interview date, I will not be able to make it. Should I then ask right there at the interview for oath date right after my planned return? Did you have that opportunity?
Thanks and congrats!

Simi Dude

Hi Simi Dude -

Congratulation on your success on the interview. I bet you will be excited the event two weeks from now...

I have two questions that see you could help. When you said your wife was "grilled" with the 175-day trip, did the interview officer looked into her passport, or even other documents for verifications? Also, how many trips aboard both you and your wife have taken?

-fchan100-

I took in the stride ( to take whatever happens). It worked well for me.

Yes. He looked at the passport of my spouse and asked all those questions. Spouse had 6 trips totalling about 250 days. All these trips were documented in the application. For the 3 trips to Canada , we kept credit card statements ( showing our presence in Canada) and trip start and end dates.
Hope it helps
fchan100 said:
Hi Simi Dude -

Congratulation on your success on the interview. I bet you will be excited the event two weeks from now...

-fchan100-

tomylim :)

hello tomylim,
I see you having your interview today, I wish you do well :)…. Please don’t forget us with your experience

After Interview.

Hi,
I arrive at ins office at 11:30, 1 hour early from my appointment time.
After going through the security check, they ask me to sit in the red chair.
After 5 minutes waiting, a security officer show up and collect our appointment letter and lead us to the second floor. I wait for almost 2 hour there until my name is called.
I was interviewed by officer Elpido Meneses. The interview went smoothly. He didn't ask for my greencard, passport or anything else. He gave me a laminted paper with 10 question from the USCIS question list. I read and answer all of the question correctly. Then, he asked me to write "I go to work everyday", which i sure did eveyday.:)
He then ask me whether i have ever been arrested, i said no. He then go through all of my n400 form without asking me anything. After that, he ask me once again whether i have ever been arrested. I said no, and he then check the FBI report and found nothing.
Finally he congratulate me and said that I can receive my oath next week. He ask me to go down and wait in the blue chair. I go down and wait for about an hour there until some officer show up and call my name. I was then asked to show my green card before i can receive my oath letter.
I'm really happy now:). Before i go to the interview, i'm kinda hoping that i can get into 09/23 oath, and i finally did.
Thanks to All of you guys that have been giving me a head up on what to expect.

Ocworker

Congratulation my friend ....
i wish you the best :) and now is my turn ;) ..... i really can't wait for this to be over ....

Thanks,
After the interview, I'm planning to file I-130 and K3 for family sponsor.
There is still many things to do.

Mr LA said:
Congratulation my friend ....
i wish you the best :) and now is my turn ;) ..... i really can't wait for this to be over ....

thanks Mr. LA. I think LA DO is moving fast. TomyLim seem only took 5 months to complete n400 case. your turn is coming on your way.

ocworker said:
thanks Mr. LA. I think LA DO is moving fast. TomyLim seem only took 5 months to complete n400 case. your turn is coming on your way.
Ocworker,
I had that feelings you will make this oath.... people like you deserve to be treated like royalty ;) ... i been sleeping by the mail box waiting for the mail man :D , i am kidding ..... i just feel i will be done soon too like u and the good people of Cali ...

Los Angeles - My experience

All,
My and my spouses interview was over today. Here are our experiences:
We had to show our CA Driver License, Green Card, and interview letter. Rest was fairly straight forward, asked standard history/constitution questions.

Key points to note:
1. Check your names for any misspellings, its your last opportunity to change
2. Carry copies of tax filings
3. Make sure your answers are consistent with your N-400, I-140, and I-485. They are very thorough and they do go through all of your previous filings

We were approved and asked to wait for Oath letter. Collected the letter for 9/28.

Here is my overall timeline:
Application date: May 10, 2005
FP notice: May 27, 2005
FP: Jun 11, 2005
Interview: Sep 22, 2005
Oath: Sep 28, 2005

It seems LA DO processes applications very fast.

It is nice to see more ppl getting approved.

jaitelugu: where are you attending the oath?