Los Angeles, CA - N-400 Timeline

hi italian chick! how many years of tax returns did you submit? 3 years or 5 years? please advise.

thanks! :D

Hi guys!
I just passed my interview today!
It went like this:
You walk into the waiting room area and you have to put the original interview letter in a box, where a woman sitting behind glass takes it, scribbles something on it and puts it in a pile.
Then the wait begins! My interview was at 1030, got there at 10, an officer came out yelling my name at 1115.
The officer takes you to a small office, the first thing they make you do is raise your right hand and swear that the information you're about to give is true.
After that, she started with the test. It's a piece of paper and she read the questions to me, we didn't get to 10 because I answered the first 6 correctly.
She then had me read a phrase "The president is elected for 4 years". Then I had to write on a piece of paper "We vote in federal election in November".
(At this point the cleaning lady came in to empty the trash can and I had to get up for her to get by)....
Then she asked me to show her my passport/GC/Social Security Card.
She asked me my birth date and my current address.
She then went through my application and re-read all questions to me, and scribbled on it or checked marked each one with a red pen, as I answered them.
When it got the travel dates, she crossed referenced all dates with the stamps on my passport (it helped that I had old expired ones too).
After that, she reviewed my tax returns and asked me if I owed any money in back taxes.
She then had me sign a piece of paper which had all the information that will go on the passport, as verification that they are correct.
Then she grabbed the N-652 form and checked "Recommended for approval" which means passed! (this form you get to keep).
A walk in the park, I say!!!!
Good luck to all of you who are still waiting for the interview!

congratulations fuller! cheers!:D

;)pass my interview today :)

update my case
Los Angeles
08/10/2009 sent application
08/21/2009 Received NOA
08/29/2009 Received FP notice
09/03/2009 FP appointment
09/03/2009 FP done
09/14/2009 case was sent to local office for standard interview
09/17/2009 Received IL
11/10/2009 Interview passed!!

Congratulations ItalianChick, I think you are this nice lady who was sitting next to me in the waiting area infront of Window 51 ?? Right ?

I passed my interview today, was scheduled @ 10:00 AM and was called for the interview@ 11:00 AM.

Kabaca71, Yes I am!!!! I was called maybe two minutes after you! Glad both you and your wife passed! Maybe we'll oath together too!
Best of Luck!

My Interview Experience 11/10/09

congratulations kabaca! please share your interview experience :D

My interview was scheduled @ 10:00 AM, arrived @ 09:40 AM, no waiting lines @ the entrance of the federal building, went through normal security, they were OK with having my cell phone.

Then went to the 6th floor Room 6024, over 50 people were in the room already, left my IL @ Window 51, and waited for my name to be called.

At 11:00 AM I was called by a male officer, he was formal but friendly.

Once crossed the door, he asked for my GC and ID, and he made a photo copy of both, then he handed me my ID and he kept the GC with him.

Next I followed him to his office, and he asked me to stand and did the oath to tell the truth.

We both sat down and he started going through the application line by line, but very quick, and when he came to the trips, he asked for my passport and he checked some of the stamps against the entries in my application.

After that we went through the Yes/No questions, very quick, and at last he asked me to sign in 2 places and print my full name at another place in the last page of the application.

Now to the test, he brought 3 papers, and started with the Reading, the paper had 3 stmts, and he asked me to read the 2nd one "When do we vote for president", and then I signed the paper, next writing "Washington was the first president", and then signed the paper, and finally came to the civics questions
1) Self government represented at the 3 first words? "We the people"
2) 2 Rights for everyone living in the US ?
3) How many voting members in the House ? "435"
4) For how many years we elect US representative ? "2 yrs"
5) Name one Indian American trip ?
6) What does the judicial branch do ?, signed as well the paper

Finally, he get that form, where he marked next to "Congratulation .. Recommended for approval" , and he gave it to me, plus a US passport application and 2 booklets (Declaration of independence & Constitution)

He said congratulations, and wait for the approval/Oath letter in the mail within 2 to 4 weeks.

All the above was done in 12 mins , and I was out @ 11:12 AM

I took lots of supporting docs with me (Tax returns, bank statements, W-2s, paychecks, birth certificates), which the officer did not ask for any, but in some other cases people mentioned they asked for some docs.

I was very worried since I got the IL about what will happen during the interview, but it was very easy, relaxing interview, and seems that most of the IOs there are very nice and friendly.

My wife also passed her test today @2:40 PM, and she had same experience with different IO, even he joked with her that it is very rare to have husband and wife pass on the same day.

Now comes the waiting for Oath Letter, I hope we can catch either 12/03 or 12/18.

Good Luck to you tracer, I see your interview on 11/12 :)
Good Luck to everyone :)

Lawsuit won against USCIS for long delays, backlogged will become naturalized within six months

http://www.ocregister.com/news/application...itizenship.html

Hundreds of immigrants in Southern California will soon become Americans after a lawsuit settlement between immigration officials and a host of immigrant rights groups, the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California announced today.

Immigrants from Santa Ana, Los Angeles and San Bernardino who waited years for the U.S. citizenship applications to be processed because of backlogs will become naturalized within six months, under the terms of a settlement among U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the National Immigration Law Center, the ACLU of Southern California, the Asian Pacific American Legal Center.

"The backlog fundamentally altered the lives of tens of thousands of permanent residents whose citizenship applications disappeared into an administrative black hole," said Linton Joaquin, general counsel for the National Immigration Law Center, in a written statement. "Thousands of individuals were kept in the dark for years about the reason for the delay and were unable to push their applications through to adjudication."
The settlement puts an end to indefinite delays in processing naturalization applications, the written statement reported.

Also, the settlement requires the federal government to provide naturalization data from the Los Angeles area to the legal groups who filed the lawsuit.

The class action lawsuit was filed in 2007 in reaction to years-long bottlenecks in processing citizenship applications caused by routine FBI background checks, according to the lawsuit.

The checks clogged the system despite federal laws that require the agency to process applications within six months of submission.

As a result of the lawsuit, the FBI, under court supervision, ultimately ran the background checks on thousands of people who were stuck in the backlog.

Pinz82,
I didn't bring them and was not asked... although I saw a little clear envelope stapled to my application, containing my pictures..... I guess that is how they keep from loosing them!
Good luck!

Did you guys bring 2 extra photos in the interview?
The checklist said "it is recommended."

I didn't, but I was aware there is a place across the road from the LA office where they do the photo's - I thought if there was a problem with my photo's at the interview I would go and get new photo's then.

Another alternative, if you are planning on applying for a passport after your oath, get the photos now - take them to your interview, then, if they are not needed, use them with your passport application.

i passed my interview today! :D here's my experience:

my appointment was at 8:45am and i got there at exactly 8:15am. at that time, it was already full of people. i am guessing it's because of the holiday the day before...but anyway, it took a while, about 9:30am before i was called in. but, i'm telling you, it was all worth the wait! haha it only took about 10 minutes or so for the interview. the immigration officer was very nice and cordial and very friendly. he first sworn me in then asked for my passport, drivers license and green card. from there he proceeded to have me read a sentence from a piece of paper. i totally forgot what it was now thinking about it. then he asked me if i knew when columbus day was. i got nervous because i wasn't sure when the exact date was but i answered "sometime in october." i thought it couldn't be a part of the test because it wasn't included in the questions! haha it turns out, he just wants me to write the sentence "columbus day is in october." hahaha he then proceeded to the oral test...he was reading from a sheet of paper and was writing down what my answer was and putting check marks everytime i got it right. i got the first 6 questions correctly so that was it...he then looked at my application, went through the questions and then after that said "congratulations!" he gave me a piece of paper saying that i have been recommended for approval. i'm soooo happy! :D

the only bummer was i paid $15 for parking! haha i couldn't believe it, it was less than a couple of hours. oh well...i didn't mind at the end because everything turrned out great.

thanks to everybody who shared their interview experiences!!! it really gave me an idea what to expect so i wasn't really that nervous. i heard that they only do citizenship interviews there and nothing else. from what i saw, the immigration officers seem to be very nice.

good luck to all those who are waiting to be interviewed. be prepared, stay relaxed and everything will be fine. :D

i passed my interview today! :D

Congratulations tracer, hope we can all meet @ the same Oath day , hope before the holidays, there are 2 coming up one in 12/03 and another on 12/18

I do not think we can make it to the 11/18 Oath Cermony next week ??

thanks kabaca! oh, wouldn't that be great! but i do not think we can make it to the november 18 oath ceremony. i am hoping and wishing that we can make it to the december 3 ceremony!

have you checked your online status yet? i'm curious as to when it will update.

again, congratulations to you!

Congratulations tracer, hope we can all meet @ the same Oath day , hope before the holidays, there are 2 coming up one in 12/03 and another on 12/18

I do not think we can make it to the 11/18 Oath Cermony next week ??

Los Angeles time-line
Sent N-400 6/11/09
NOA 7/14/09 (PD of 6/12/09)
FP Notice 7/15/09
FP Date 7/30/09
IL: 8/4/09
ID: 9/22/09 (Los Angeles DO) Passed!:) BUT....
"nasty" and "difficult" AO gave me N-652 stating
"A decision cannot yet be made about your application" :(
"Please follow the instructions on Form WR-822" :(
"USCIS will send you a written decision about your application" :(
AO gave me Form WR-822 requesting 1)Copy of 2007 tax return 2) Copies of all pages of passport 3)Documentary proof of financial support from family/others (unemployed, but supported by my family abroad, who is financially well off)
AO suggested I hand deliver documents to his office, and said I should hear from them in a few weeks.
WR-822 and ALL requested documents HAND DELIVERED to AO's office on 9/25/09
Haven't heard back from USCIS. Toll free customer service # has no information either. My online status has not been updated since 8/6/09.
OL: ???????????
OD: ???????????
PP: (applied)????????
PP: (received)?????????

thanks kabaca! oh, wouldn't that be great! but i do not think we can make it to the november 18 oath ceremony. i am hoping and wishing that we can make it to the december 3 ceremony!

have you checked your online status yet? i'm curious as to when it will update.

again, congratulations to you!

During my interview, my IO told me that either 12/3 or 12/18 should be my oath day. "But don't count on my word", she also joked.

Two questions...

1. Did any of you that had the oath already, also had the online status updated? It seems from the forums that the online updating really works until the case is sent to local office, then it stops. I have signed up for email notifications just in case, and so far I have received an email two days before a letter showed in the mail. Waiting for the oath letter is killing me!!!:(

2. I had to buy a plane ticket for the 22nd of December to fly home, and really would not like to postpone my oath ceremony. I interviewed on 11/10 and passed but if I do the oath on 12/18 which is a Friday, do you guys know if I could manage getting a passport by Tuesday 12/22? The passport agency at the Federal Building notes on their website that if you have "emergency travel" and show up with a plane ticket then the application can be expedited to 24/48 hours, but that's cutting it reallllyyyyyy close! what would you do? I am still hoping to be able to oath on 12/03!

my sister got oath date

1. Did any of you that had the oath already, also had the online status updated? It seems from the forums that the online updating really works until the case is sent to local office, then it stops. I have signed up for email notifications just in case, and so far I have received an email two days before a letter showed in the mail. Waiting for the oath letter is killing me!!!:(

2. I had to buy a plane ticket for the 22nd of December to fly home, and really would not like to postpone my oath ceremony. I interviewed on 11/10 and passed but if I do the oath on 12/18 which is a Friday, do you guys know if I could manage getting a passport by Tuesday 12/22? The passport agency at the Federal Building notes on their website that if you have "emergency travel" and show up with a plane ticket then the application can be expedited to 24/48 hours, but that's cutting it reallllyyyyyy close! what would you do? I am still hoping to be able to oath on 12/03!

my sister got oath date of Nov 18th. No update online since case transfer to local office. She had interview on 10/20.

I think you can get passport same day. My friend got in IL. But I heard that you get only for 1 year validity in that case not sure though.

Oath Letter received!

Kabaca and Tracer,
I JUST RECEIVED MY OATH LETTER TODAYYYYYY!!!!!!:D
I interviewed last Tuesday, Nov 10th. My oath is on the 3rd of December at Quiet Cannon at 11am. Check your mailboxes tonight! hope you received one too!!!!!!!!!:D

Passed the Interview

Passed the interview:

Interview time : 02:15 PM , I went there only by 02:30 PM due to traffic.

I was called by 03:00 PM , It was pretty fast. The lady who interviewed me, apologized for the late interview. The whole process was done in 8 to 10 min.

She asked only the GC & Drivers License. Never asked any documents or passports. i mentioned about my driving ticket which i got in 1997 , she is least bothered. She was in a hurry.

She asked the following questions :

1) How many senators
2) who is the vice president
3) How many amendments
4) Why colonists came to USA?
5) Highest court in USA?
6) Supreme court justice..

Reading : which state is most populated?
writing : California has the most people.

After six questions , she stopped & asked me to sign two or three documents.

About oath : i asked her can i attend Nov 18,2009 .. she smiled and said all the slots are filled till the first week of December '2009 . She mentioned that i will get oath letter during first week of December '2009 for December 18 oath . Hope it happens.

Thanks for everyone who helped in answering my silly questions .
Best of luck for those who r waiting for the interviews.

ItalianChick,
Did you request for a name change?

My interview was on 11/12. and I requested a name change. I wonder if this will cause a delay for oath.

Did anyone at LA DO request a name change during interview?