Likey Mumbai CP Interview in April, May, June -2004

hotels in Mumbai

I have launched a new thread "Information on Hotels".
If you have booked a hotel in Mumbai, or have information on hotels in Mumbai, can you please post your inputs under that thread? Please mention the hotel, location, phone number, (and if not a problem for you, please mention their rates), etc. If you have already stayed there, please do mention your experience with the hotel.
Thanks

Successful CP interview and entry into the US

Praise to the Lord and the forums here (including the CP Gurus here) for we succesfully got our immigrant visas and entered the US yesterday.

Medicals were at Breach Candy on May 28th. Good process and good people. Very helpful and polite. Got to the hospital at 7.15 am and recieved the medical records at 2.30 p.m.

CP interview was on June 1st. Reached the consulate at around 7.30 a.m. and immediately allowed to enter the consulate. Waited a long time for the document check - actually the last of the interviewee with 8.15 am appointment. Document check was smooth and partial until the cashier rejected the demand drafts as they were Rs 100.00 extra. The packet 3 that consulate sent had a sheet with the exchange amount and instruction to check with the consulate for exact amount before DD is made and that excess amounts will not be refunded. Due to the short time frame that we had, i chose to make the draft for Rs 100 extra. Well the DD was rejected and we were given 30 minutes to get the correct DD or come back next day for the interview. Have never run so hard on Bomaby streets - not even to catch a local train. Anyways, American ATM only worked at Standard Chartered and allowed me to withdraw only Rs20,000 instead of the required Rs 31000 for two drafts. I got a draft for Rs 100 less than required (took a chance) and requested the cashier to accept one draft with Rs 100 less and one with Rs 100 more. He did!!! Moral of this long story for all future CPers - call the consulate, get the exact amount and then make the DD for that amount.

The document check process started again for the rest of the documents. We had affidavits from our parents that our name on the BC and what we currently use (they are differently spelt for both myself and my wife) are for the same person. The Indian lady did not even bother with those affidavits. She just checked the usual documents - DS 230 part 1 & 2, photographs, BC, marriage certificate, employment letter, I-134 and medical records. On DS-230 part 1, scratched out our signature and asked us to resign it.

We were asked to wait and then few minutes later we were called in the presence of the American officer, took our oaths, signed the DS-230 part 2. She asked me what I do at work - as I started mentioning and came to the point that my employer Goodyear is the largest manufacturer of.... she rudely interrupted me and said I know what Goodyear makes. What do you do there. So I gave a three sentence answer. She next asked how long have you been married? - Typical guy that I am started calculating the years when my wife chimed in Since____. That was all the questions. She asked us to pick up the IV at 3.30 pm. The Indian lady standing next to her had already started cancelling all our prior visa before the interview started. She saw my first F-1 visa and asked the office should I cancel this also. The officer saw the visa and started laughing and mentioned - my that's an old visa (issued in 1992).

Anyways collected the visa and enetred the US via Chicago - was smooth sailing at POE. The officer stamped a temporary green card in the passport valid for one year and mentioned that we will receive the official one in 6 to 8 months.

My question for all - does everyone get a temporary green card stamped on their passport at POE and does it take 6 to 8 months to recieve the welcome letter and plastic card. I have read here that it happens in three to four weeks????

Anyways, it's all done. Still has not sunk in completely that this saga is over. Profuely thak all CP gurus for their advice and the friendship and camaraderie and support of everyone else in the forum.

Srisubra

Congrats!!!

Congrats Srisubra!!!

Happy to know that everything went smooth for you. :)

Thank you for your prompt posting. I am sure it will help us fellow Cpers like me.

Have a question aboutt he documents that you submitted.

DS 230 part 1 & 2, photographs, BC, marriage certificate, employment letter, I-134 and medical records. On DS-230 part 1

1.)All the documents you have mentioned here ... did you have to give them originals or copies or both?

2)I am an ACI140 case . My lawyer has already sent DS230Part 1 and the DS2001 along with the AC140 papers .Do they ask you to give them the DS230 Part 1 and DS2001 forms again?

I would really appreciate your input. My interview date is not yet fixed but I am expecting the interview date to be in July.

Congrats again.

Thanks in advance.

Raj

Srisubra,
Congratualtions buddy (first in the June CPer's list). Actually to be frank I was waiting to hear from you since june 1st as I knew you were first in list.

But your DD problem confused me, didn't you make a DD of Rs 15410/- each before you went for interview. Sorry to ask you but can you re explain the DD story again from scratch.

Any ways as KD quoted you specially, you proved to be a BRAVE MAN.

As quoted many times Live Life Like King Size (KD's quote)

Thanks

vm1214 said:
Srisubra,
Congratualtions buddy (first in the June CPer's list). Actually to be frank I was waiting to hear from you since june 1st as I knew you were first in list.

But your DD problem confused me, didn't you make a DD of Rs 15410/- each before you went for interview. Sorry to ask you but can you re explain the DD story again from scratch.

Any ways as KD quoted you specially, you proved to be a BRAVE MAN.

As quoted many times Live Life Like King Size (KD's quote)

Thanks

VM1214,

Thanks. Yes I should have taken a draft for Rs 15410/- but in one of the pages in the packet that the consulate mails to you with the interview appointment, it was mentioned that check the correct exchange rate with the consulate before making the DD and also that any excess amount in the DD will not be refunded. Since my interview came up on such a short notice and I did not have time to call the consulate, I thought it would be safer to add some additional rupees to be on the safe side. So I made two drafts for Rs 15510/-. I should also mention that I forgot to take the aforementioned sheet of paper with me for the interview. The cashier in the consulate refused to take the drafts as they were Rs 100/- in excess of the amount required.

So I had to leave the consulate and get two new drafts. I was unable to withdraw the required amount of money from my US ATM card and so I finally made one draft for Rs 15310/- and the requested the cashier to take two drafts one for Rs 15310 and one for Rs 15510 as the average of the two drafts comes to the target amount of RS 15410 per person. The cashier later mentioned that their exchange rate is very stable and does not change often and hence one can use that exchange rate to calculate the exact amount of the draft.

I would still advice you to call the consulate and confirm the amount before you make the drafts.

Good luck with your interview and all the best. Have a safe trip

Srisubra

raj1305 said:
Congrats Srisubra!!!

Happy to know that everything went smooth for you. :)

Thank you for your prompt posting. I am sure it will help us fellow Cpers like me.

Have a question aboutt he documents that you submitted.

DS 230 part 1 & 2, photographs, BC, marriage certificate, employment letter, I-134 and medical records. On DS-230 part 1

1.)All the documents you have mentioned here ... did you have to give them originals or copies or both?

2)I am an ACI140 case . My lawyer has already sent DS230Part 1 and the DS2001 along with the AC140 papers .Do they ask you to give them the DS230 Part 1 and DS2001 forms again?

I would really appreciate your input. My interview date is not yet fixed but I am expecting the interview date to be in July.

Congrats again.

Thanks in advance.

Raj

Raj,

They don't ask for the DS 230 part 1 or DS 2001 but I did take a copy of the DS 230 part 1 to be on the safe side. The Indian lady who collects the document pulled out the original DS 230 part I that I sent with AC 140 application to the consulate, scratched out my signature and asked me to sign the form again in her presence.

Take a copy of the DS 230 part I that you have already submitted and the DS 230 part II duly filled and not signed.

Srisubra

shah_devesh said:
Thanks for the wonderful posts on this site. A few questions:
1) Has anyone recently got an interview @ Mumbai consulate on EB1 approval basis and can share their experience. My Lawyers here advise not to use CP since they are not sure if Eb1s approved here will be approved in Mumbai. (assume no fraud in the case)
2) While filing for Ac140, what kind of emotional hardship needs to be proven?
3) Does filing I824 automatically withdraw your AOS I485 application or is the AOS application still "alive"? (i have already in the AOS queue)
4) If AOS is "alive", is the accompanying EAD and ATP also alive?

Devesh,

I just came back to US after my successful CP interview with an EB1 approval. Mumbai was very prompt in accepting my AC140 application - in-fact my lawyer fed-exed the application on a thursday and next friday, he recieved an e-mail that a file has been created for me with a BMB number.

I don't have the emotional hardship letter with me right now but I can send you the contents tomorrow.

I am told that the AOS application is still alive till they process your I824 application and ask you if you want to cancel your AOS application.

I am not sure of the EAD or ATP as I was still on my H1-B.

Hope this helps

Srisubra

Srisubra

Thanks for your reply. This clears my doubt.

Some more questions:

1)You have mentioned in your post above something about a hardship letter. Did they ask you for it in Mumbai or you just carried it with you to be on the safe side? Since I am also an Ac140 case this info will help me cause I dont have any such letter.I was told by my lawyer that Mumbai does not require that anymore.

2) Did you make the DDs in India or you took it from here in the US? If it was in India is it ok to get the DDs from any nationalized bank in India?

3)Can you please tell me the exact amount for the DDs in US dollars. I can then check with the Mumbai consulate for the correct exchange rate before I leave.

I would really appreciate your reply.

Thanks.

Raj

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks srisubra for your immediate reply. I will act accordingly as you suggested.

Srisubra,
just a suggestion as this thread is meant for Likely mumbai CP interview you can create a new thread for Sucessful june CP interview as they are many others to join you so every ones experience can be in one and better to get the latest interview information.
All you need is to cut and paste your previous postings in the new thread when ever time permits you.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview on 10th June

Guys

Had our itnerview on 10th. but result still pending as my wife's medical report did not come on time. We had medical on 8th and due to wife's preganancy they could not take her x-rays so they had to take skin test and then wiat for 48 hrs. I just submitted her medical report this morning so will post the outcome as soon as I come to know tonite.

srisubra said:
On DS-230 part 1, scratched out our signature and asked us to resign it.

Srisubra,

Congrats and all the best for the future. Welcome back.

Quick Q, You meant DS230 , part 2 right? not part 1 (scratched the sign and resign) ?

alren said:
Srisubra,

Congrats and all the best for the future. Welcome back.

Quick Q, You meant DS230 , part 2 right? not part 1 (scratched the sign and resign) ?

No, I meant DS 230 part I. This was done by the Indian lady who checks the documents.

You submit the DS 230 part II without your signature to this Indian lady and then sign it in presence of the American officer after you take the oath.

Srisubra

raj1305 said:

Some more questions:

1)You have mentioned in your post above something about a hardship letter. Did they ask you for it in Mumbai or you just carried it with you to be on the safe side? Since I am also an Ac140 case this info will help me cause I dont have any such letter.I was told by my lawyer that Mumbai does not require that anymore.

The hardship letter is what your lawyer will send along the attorney certified copy of your I-140 application package to the consulate. I know my lawyer did that.

2) Did you make the DDs in India or you took it from here in the US? If it was in India is it ok to get the DDs from any nationalized bank in India?

Make the DD's in India from any nationalized bank

3)Can you please tell me the exact amount for the DDs in US dollars. I can then check with the Mumbai consulate for the correct exchange rate before I leave.

The correct exchange rate was Rs 46.

Thanks.

Raj

Guidance needed to postpone the July interview to August

CP Gurus,

I have posted this earlier but have not received response regarding the interview postponement.

My wife will have a major early pregnancy surgery in July last week.
The case was forwarded to Mumbai consulate on 4/30.
I think the interview will be somewhere in July.
But doctor's suggested us we can travel in late August or September but not after September (unsafe for her pregnancy after 1st week of october) .

How can I convince the Mumbai consulate to reschedule my interview in August last week?

If I ask them to postpone will they postpone my interview for 3-4 months?

srisubra:

You must be a fit man to run on bombay streets. And as far as getting in or out of bbay trains...one just needs to stand on the platform and the crowd does the rest. You will know what I mean if you have ever tried entering a bbay train.

Heartiest congrats and live life king size.

July Interview

Raj,

I am expecting an interview in July too. Called the consulate Sunday night and the guy said to call back in a week for the exact date. I am checking the website regularly for updates.

Also awaiting PCC - Indian consulate, Chicago asked me to call them back on June 15.

raj1305 said:

Some more questions:

Thanks.

Raj

run4hlth,
I hope you are talking about mumbai consulate. I too tried to call after hearing the chennai consulate announcements and she said the interview dates till 20th of july has been announced and remaining 10 days yet to be announced so she asked me to call next week to find out.

But I think by next week the web site should be up with the july dates ??

When was your case created ?

Thanks

To the CP gurus

Hello Everyone,

I had a few doubts I need cleared.

1) Is the correct dollar ampunt for the visa fee $335/-.Please confirm.

2) I expect my interview date to be in the month of July. I spoke to the consulate yesterday and they told to me that they are running behind schedule for this month and to call back in a few days to find out the exact date. The June CPers started getting their Packet 4s from 20th May onwards. Dont see that happening this month.

My question for you guys is when should I expect to recieve the packet4?

Anyone else expecting dates in July ? Do you have any idea on the dates and packet 4 status?

Thanks.

Raj

raj,
Looks like every one is getting different answer from the consulate, well the dollar amount is correct but make sure you take a dd of Rs 15410 / - no less no more.

Packet 4 should not worry you much if you have all the documents listed in this forum, appointment letter you can pick it up even after going there or by asking any family member to pick it up.

RE: July Interview

vm1214,

Yes I am referring to Mumbai consulate. My case was created on May 14. I called and got my case number on May 17.

I tried to access the consulate web site a few minutes ago, and it was busy. They should update it any day now.

vm1214 said:
run4hlth,
I hope you are talking about mumbai consulate. I too tried to call after hearing the chennai consulate announcements and she said the interview dates till 20th of july has been announced and remaining 10 days yet to be announced so she asked me to call next week to find out.

But I think by next week the web site should be up with the july dates ??

When was your case created ?

Thanks