Likely JUNE CP at CHENNAI- track here!!!

Raja,

Your interview is likely to happen in June. You can email Chennai embassy immigration section and request for- either an earlier date in June or to postpone it. If you want postponement, be advised it will be atleast 2-3 months before you are scheduled again. Given the circumstances, if you request now-you can get an early June interview.
It would also depend on where your wife is at present. If she is in USA and you plan on going for CP after your child is born, it makes sense. If she is in India with you and you are going to have your baby in India, make sure you add the baby to your case before you enter US-that will simplify matters for you and your baby. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

Hi Rajeev & Agith,

Thanks for your inputs. I will check with the embassy. My wife is also with me at Bangalore.

How can I add the baby to my case.
Thanks

PCC Validity

Most of you knows about this PCC valididty confusion, I thought of posting, what I heard from Chennai Passprt office about PCC as it might be helpful to somebody.

Regarding PCC validity, I checked with the Passport office at Chennai. According to them it is valid only for 6 months.

I guess the recent confusion in PCC validity is not because of any US policy change.

So enquire at the issuing passport office/Indian consulate about the validity. US consulate staff may not be knowing, If they have not received this recent circular.

One more point, If you have Indian passport issued after 1997, it is easy to get PCC at passport office (just 4 hrs at chennai ). If your passport is issued before 1997, the previous PCC information will not be in the system. They have to do a fresh police verification. It took me more than a month in spite of influence at passport office & local police station. During this process passport office will be keeping our passport.

To add to this complication, If you were not living at the Indian address for last 6 months then the verifying police may not clear the case.

Adding the baby...

Take the baby and the birth certificate with you when you go for CP. May be useful to call the embassy and check with them if they need any other information/documents at the time opf interview.

Question...

Hi Guys,

The project I am working on is going to be live on July 1st of this year. If u look at the history of Chennai consulate, they are scheduling the 'Ex' category, only after 20th of every month. if mine is going to fall into the same window, I will be in big trouble as my company is already saying that they are not going to promise on anything regarding allowing me to attend the interview... Any thouhgts, as to what to do...?

Thanks for any input on this...

sv

SV4G

Please don't pose the same question in multiple threads; all the regular users browse thru all the active threads and you will get your answers in one place. I agree with Raju- you can check with your employer and if you can get away with a week in July, you don't have to worry. Even if your employer can not spare you in July, if you can take time off in early June, you can request an early june interview with the consulate and thay will likely oblige. Good luck.;)

I was in the May thread till now. I have been told by the consulate that my interview will be in June. Here are my details

P 3 Reviewed - Mar 17
P 3 Sent - Mar 27
Chennai Rec'd - April 3

Regards

Tax return forms

Hi all,

I am expecting the June interview. And till now I did not apply for my tax returns. Reason is : I am waiting to get the ITIN(TaxPayer Identification Number) for my wife. We applied 6 weeks back, still they did not issued the number. They are telling that , it may take another two to four weeks.
And my wife is planning to go to India in May 1 st week.

My questions:

1. Do we need the copy of tax return forms for the interview or just w-2 forms are enough??

2. Does wife signatures etc.. are necessary for filing tax returns?
Can I apply for tax returns(once she gets her TIN number) when my wife is in India?

3. We just need a copy of the tax return forms.Is it right?? Even if I apply during last week of may( I took the extension for applying tax returns), it is fine right?? Or do I need any proof from IRS which says that I applied for tax returns??

4. Or do you advise me to apply for me alone for this year?? Is that o.k (for interview) even if my wife name doesn't include in the tax return forms??

Please advice friends,
Sam.

1. Do we need the copy of tax return forms for the interview or just w-2 forms are enough??

You need Tax transcripts or Tax returns in addition to pay stubs and W2 forms

Can I apply for tax returns(once she gets her TIN number) when my wife is in India?

Your wife's signature is necessary for filing a joint return.

3. We just need a copy of the tax return forms.Is it right?? Even if I apply during last week of may( I took the extension for applying tax returns), it is fine right?? Or do I need any proof from IRS which says that I applied for tax returns??

Theoretically speaking, you don't need this year's returns-if you show that you have filed for an extension and your W2 with the last 3 years transcripts, you are OK.

4. Or do you advise me to apply for me alone for this year?? Is that o.k (for interview) even if my wife name doesn't include in the tax return forms??

Again, you don't need this year's return for CP if you have filed for an extension. Don't file under single status-you will lose some money that rightfully belongs to you! ;)

Re: Tax return forms

Originally posted by kumar_sam
Hi all,

I am expecting the June interview. And till now I did not apply for my tax returns. Reason is : I am waiting to get the ITIN(TaxPayer Identification Number) for my wife. We applied 6 weeks back, still they did not issued the number. They are telling that , it may take another two to four weeks.

Call up IRS and tell them that it's over 6 weeks since your wife filed for ITIN number. They usually resolve the issue within 10-14 working days. Keep pushing them. That's what I did to get my wife's ITIN number before April.

And my wife is planning to go to India in May 1 st week.

My questions:

Usually the last three years tax returns should be fine. As Rajeev has suggested, if you had filed extension that should suffice for 2002. Remember to pick up the copy of tax report for the previous 2 years.

I have successfully filed tax for my wife who is not in US currently. Once when I got her ITIN Number, I went to one of the CPA and filled out all forms, scanned the forms where my wife needs to sign, sent them over mail and got my wife to sign it and fax it to me. My CPA filed the tax and I got the returns too!!. So don't worry. It is quite simple and easy.

That should be fine!!

Don't do that. (Rajeev is absolutely right!!.. your are losing $$$$$$) I wouldn't advice that either. Technically if you wife has a ITIN nubmer (ever if she is not in US/never been to US) you are elligible to file tax jointly as long as your wife's foriegn income if any is disclosed.

Please advice friends,
Sam.

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by Noproblem
Hi Rajeev & Agith,

Thanks for your inputs. I will check with the embassy. My wife is also with me at Bangalore.

How can I add the baby to my case.
Thanks

Raja,

I am also having a peculiar problem I would like to get my interview advanced by a week or two (my likely interview is in July) as our product goes live by july end. As a team lead my manager expects me to be here during the last week of july. I was curious whether you have requested the Chennai consulate on a date advancement (or postponement)? If so, what/how was their response?

Thanks a bunch.

Cheers,
Ganesh.

Re: Re: Tax return forms

Hi Rajeev & Ganesh,
Thank you for your inputs. Here are few more details about my situation :

1. I came to U.S only in March 2001. So I have only 2001 tax return copies.
2. Now I filed extension thru phone. Can I request for any proof from IRS ? Will they give any receipt which says that I filed for extension??

If I can file before June 10th ( if I get TIN), then there won't be any problem, because I will have two years tax return copies.
If not, then I have to show last years copies + this year's extension proof( if I can get it from IRS). Is this o.k??

Again, thank you in advance for clarifying it.

BTW, yesterday, Indian Consulate, Chicago informed me that they got the clearance from Hyderabad passport regarding my PCC application.
I am planning to go to Chicago consulate in person on 21st to get PCC + to include my wife name in the passport + to get the birth certificate for my wife.

Regds,
Sam.

Re: Re: Re: Tax return forms

Originally posted by kumar_sam
Hi Rajeev & Ganesh,
Thank you for your inputs. Here are few more details about my situation :

1. I came to U.S only in March 2001. So I have only 2001 tax return copies.

Well actually I shouldn't have said as 3 year tax returns... It's number of years you have filed taxes in US or 3 years whichever is smaller.

So, if you have filed only 2001 then just take that. (You can go to your local IRS office and ask them for the tax transcript. It's about 10 minutes work!)

2. Now I filed extension thru phone. Can I request for any proof from IRS ? Will they give any receipt which says that I filed for extension??

Just visit your local IRS office and explain that you need some proof that you have filed your extension. They'll give you a transcript.

If I can file before June 10th ( if I get TIN), then there won't be any problem, because I will have two years tax return copies.
If not, then I have to show last years copies + this year's extension proof( if I can get it from IRS). Is this o.k??

Don't worry too much about tax returns. From the past CPers experience it seems mostly the US Consulate at Chennai doesn't care much about tax returns and payslips.

If you are not able to file taxes for this year then your 2001 transcript and extension proof should suffice.

Again, thank you in advance for clarifying it.

BTW, yesterday, Indian Consulate, Chicago informed me that they got the clearance from Hyderabad passport regarding my PCC application.
I am planning to go to Chicago consulate in person on 21st to get PCC + to include my wife name in the passport + to get the birth certificate for my wife.

That's good and best wishes for the interview. Remember to post your experiences after that so that it would help all futher cpers.

Regds,
Sam.

Cheers,
Ganesh.

Consolidated list

Hi Friends,
I just thought of consolidating the list of people who are expecting June interview. It will be usefull to remember all of you easily if we have such list.
I just made this list from this thread itself(likely june CP-Chennai).

Please update the list if I missed anyone. Also please update your status, if it is wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
User ID Date (Case sent to Chennai)

INSvermont : March 27th
nadan : March 27th
sv4G : March 27th
hellogc : Apr 2nd
kumar_sam : Apr 2nd
Noproblem : Apr 2nd
Rajeev Kumar : Review completed on Mar 25th. Case sent on ??
ramsi_2000 : Review completed on Mar 25th. Case sent on ??
VinnakotaGangadhar: Apr 2nd
Bhagawathi : Case entered in to the system on Marr 18th
Chennupandu : Case entered in to the system on march 3rd
spulapak : ??

All the best to everybody.

Best Regds,
Sam.

Re: Consolidated list

Hi,

Thanks for compiling this list, Sam!

It would be nice if people could also share the details regarding their preparations for the interview. Did anybody book air trckets in June? If so how much did you pay?

Regards,
-s

Re: Preperations for Interview

Originally posted by nadan
Hi,

Thanks for compiling this list, Sam!

It would be nice if people could also share the details regarding their preparations for the interview. Did anybody book air trckets in June? If so how much did you pay?

Regards,
-s

Hi Nadan,
Initially I thought of buying the tickets only after getting the interview date. But some how I am becoming more optimistic:)) ) now a days and I bought my tickets yesterday. I am leaving on June 10th and coming back on July 7th( assuming, my interview will be some time between 20th to 30th). I am going from Detroit to Chennai via lufthansa. My ticket cost is a bit high, but some how I decided to buy. It is $1400. I guess normal price is 1260.

Regds,
Sam.

Hi Sam,

Who is your travel agent? I am getting much higher quotes for my trip-as high as 1800! Could you give me your travel agent's number? Thanks.

Re: Hi Sam,

Originally posted by Rajeev Kumar
Who is your travel agent? I am getting much higher quotes for my trip-as high as 1800! Could you give me your travel agent's number? Thanks.

Check in www.mylowfare.com. You can find contact numbers. I contacted the local office in Troy, MI. You can try the same.(it starts with 248 area code).

Good luck.
Sam

Thanks Sam.

I am still getting high quotes for tickets-because of peak season; I can only take a 2 week vacation-as we took a month long vacation in india in December. But this agent still had better prices-will buy our tickets thru them.

Re: Thanks Sam.

Originally posted by Rajeev Kumar
I am still getting high quotes for tickets-because of peak season; I can only take a 2 week vacation-as we took a month long vacation in india in December. But this agent still had better prices-will buy our tickets thru them.

Yah.......it is very peak season. In my case my wife is leaving early. So I have to book the tickets now itself so that we can get confirmed tickets on the same date for return journey . May be you can wait some more time if you think you can get better deals from others.

Anyway, As of my knowledge, if the travel date is after June 15th, ticket prices increases by $100 to $150.

All the best.