Likely CP Candidates for October 2003 @Mumbai Consulate - To Do List

rs:

Normally admin checks average about 4-6 weeks but in excepional cases take upto 3 months. There is not much one can do about this other than check with the consulate once a week to find out if the admin check has been cleared. All the best!

Adminstrative Processing question

Thanks KD1403.

RS.

Originally posted by kd1403
rs:

Normally admin checks average about 4-6 weeks but in excepional cases take upto 3 months. There is not much one can do about this other than check with the consulate once a week to find out if the admin check has been cleared. All the best!

Administrative Check

I was finally able to get through to the consulate in Delhi. They just give the standard response.

"The case is held up for administrative processing and it will take some time."

I am hoping for the best.

RS

KD - interesting topic on CP. I'm still trying to catchup but its a lot. I have quick questions.

I have filed my I-140 and 485 together in nov-2002. Got rfe on 140 and refiling was done and finally got approval on 140 last week. saying so my i-485 is still continuing as of nov 2002 and my attorny is sending new/ revised LIN# to replace with the original one filed together. I never had intention (was not aware about CP much before) on CP. Now, I like to know on CP processing at New Delhi. My questions at this stage are:

1. how long it may take on fresh filing of I-824?
2. NVS and other processing time.
3. How long it may take to get a date with New Delhi CP?
4. Would it be safer even to start CP (knowing that my I-485 is already in process).
5. Would I be saving on time...benefitted by CP process with above facts.

thanks.....YD

ydwivedi:

1. how long it may take on fresh filing of I-824?

Answer: 5 minutes of paperwork and abuot 3-4 weeks to get I-824 receipt!
==============================================

2. NVS and other processing time.
Answer: I think you mean NVC National Visa Center which does admin work for regular CP. In your case, you will haev to do what is called AC I-140 where it bypasses NVC and your attorneys can approach the consulate directly based on I-824 receipts and AC I-140 packet. Read this link for details on AC I-140 process:
http://www.immihelp.com/gc/consular/ac140.html

3. How long it may take to get a date with New Delhi CP?

Answer: Filing and receving I-824 receipt = 1 month. Filing AC I-140 application with I-824 receipt and getting interview = 4 months. SO total 5 months assuming you have streamlined your AC I-140 process and attorneys agree with AC I-140. This process you cannot do without attorneys hence the name Attorney Certified I-140.

4. Would it be safer even to start CP (knowing that my I-485 is
already in process).

Answer: In your case it would be AC i-140, a type of CP not the regular CP. CP/ AC I-140 is safe is your job is stable until your cp interview date, no criminal background in any country after age of 16, never been out-of-status and no medical contagious history from past/ present. This is true for all dependents on your case too.

5. Would I be saving on time...benefitted by CP process with above facts.

Answer: With AC I-140/ CP you will be done in 5 or atmost 6 months whereas 485 you know well what that means!

Excellent, thanks kd1403 for your point to point reply!!

I am going to follow with my attorney AC-I 140 and total timelines of about 5-6 months ...its encouraging in the first phase...lets see.

Initially, she gave me a horrible picture about CP - over 1 year for I-824, and about 6 months for NVC and suggested NOT to disturb current going I-485 process (RD 11/2002). She is more optimist that with current I-485 I should get my GC by mid next year.

I think I still be saving on time if I start my CP processing immediately (end of this year). Anything else you could suggest let me know.

thanks again!

ydwivedi:

NWD and Mumbai accept AC I-140 based on I-824 receipts whereas Chennai requires I-824 APPROVAL and hence adds 1 year to the process. In you case since your consulateis NWD you are fine and should be cp approved in about 5-6 months if you & your attorneys follow the prescribed steps

6yr H1 expiry - Can I do CP?

My 6 year H1 will expire in March '05. I am filing my 140 in the next couple of weeks. If I file 140 for CP - I will get a 1 year extension when my 140 is pending. But once my 140 is approved (and am waiting the few months till the CP takes place) will I get another H1 extension? (Since 140 is approved and not pending is there a problem?)

Any other options for me?

Thanks!

lift_karadhe:

Yes you will get H-1B extension as long as you file prior to its expiration date whether your I-140 is approved/ not.

File I-140 soon as the wait is getting longer now!

Hi,
I have 3 questions.
we received packet 3 almost a month back and the papers still lying with me as i am kinda busy during this month.
Question1: How long can I take to post the papers to attorney (they are saying they'll fillem up and post it to India for our signatures.)

Question2: My wife's BC has her current name (her name was different before our wedding including the first name.) will it be a problem?

Question3:
the form DS-230(birographic data form) is asking for father's date of birth. She does know his date of birth and both her parents have passed away. is this ok?

thanking you in advance for the support.

--ChennaiPal

chennaipal:

Question1: How long can I take to post the papers to attorney (they are saying they'll fillem up and post it to India for our signatures.)

Answer: If NVC does not receive your packet 3 within 365 days from date of I-140 approval then it is assumed that you are opting for AOS route. So I would say mail it sooner so that you get your interview sooner.

Question2: My wife's BC has her current name (her name was different before our wedding including the first name.) will it be a problem?

Answer: In india that in some cases not just the last name but also the first name is changed after marriage. This is normal. A combination of BC and marriage certificate should work. When you say current name i am guessing maiden name.
example: If her name at birth and on BC was Ms. Firstname.x.Lastname and now it is changed to NEWFirstname.NEWx.NEWLastname then combo of BC and MC should work.

But if you are saying her BC is as per her current married name (NEWFirstname.NEWx.NEWLastname) then it is definitely an ISSUE. Get it fixed if this is the case.

Question3:
the form DS-230(birographic data form) is asking for father's date of birth. She does know his date of birth and both her parents have passed away. is this ok?
Answer: If she does not know her parents DOB it is fine. Leave it blank. Simply put other details including year of they passed away. If asked by consular officer about blank DOB then say you were not sure and hence did not want to speculate. Also check with her parents siblings or any close relatives who may know the DOB else leave blank.

Thanks KD,
the BC has the newfname (after marriage). so, we need to get it changed. We'll start that process.
one more question. in the packet3, we need to fill the last 10 years job details. many of the companies and institutions where we studied, the phone numbers and addresses got changed. will this be a issue?
because, finding out the new address and phone numbers would be very difficult (in one case, the office got closed too as they ran into losses). what should we do

--chennaipal

chennaipal:

YEs get the BC changed coz it will definitely be an issue otherwise. Also as a STAND BY (not required though) you may want to get 2 birth affidavits for your wife.

AS far as correct address/ phone numbers for previous employers consulate understands the issue and it should not be a problem ...write address to the best of your ability. In my csae i had written of the big five firms i worked with and for address i had written approximate location in bombay. And no questions were asked!

How much time for I-824

Greetings to all the Guru's:
Q1) How much time does it take for the NVC to generate a receipt?

Exp: We are the ill fated - I140 EB 3 approved, recd the 797 which stated that we need AOS inspite of us writing in the 140 application that we want CP.
Went to Mumbai consulate where they want an original I-824 receipt (something that looks like the 797 ), our lawyer dreads I-824 as he feels it will be a year and a half for it to process.
Please help, really,
GC-Mangta

Re: How much time for I-824

Originally posted by GC_Mangta
Greetings to all the Guru's:
Q1) How much time does it take for the NVC to generate a receipt?

Exp: We are the ill fated - I140 EB 3 approved, recd the 797 which stated that we need AOS inspite of us writing in the 140 application that we want CP.
Went to Mumbai consulate where they want an original I-824 receipt (something that looks like the 797 ), our lawyer dreads I-824 as he feels it will be a year and a half for it to process.
Please help, really,
GC-Mangta

It seems that Mumbai consualte requires the receipt of 824. Not the approval of 824 (which would take year or so to process).

P.S. - It would help to pose the question outside of this thread. Many people may choose not to read the thread based on the subject (10/2003 is long over)

Last edited by a moderator:
gc mangta:

If you had opted for CP while filing I-140 then this is purely an USCIS mistake which takes 2 weeks to rectify. Have your attorney call as well as send a letter to USCIS with copy of your I-140 application stating that you opted for CP and I-140 approval which shows I-140 approved for AOS. And USCIS will rectify this error.

If on the other hand if your I-140 application was filed with 485 selection then you will need to have your attorney file I-824 to change the process to CP. And then you will need to submit your AC I-140 packet with I-824 receipt to become eligible for your CP interview via AC I-140 route.

Most USCIS receipts are generated the week they receive the application and the applicant/ attorney may receive the application receipt the week after. So you are looking at 2 weeks max 3 weeks to get I-824 receipt.