Likely Chennai CP Interview in July/August 2004

alren said:
If you have a copy of your IV visa (is it MRV in chennai now, then you should still have it) then the A# is on the IV. Also the 551 stamp should mention the A# handwritten over it.

Hi Alren,

Thanks for the reply. Still my doubt wasn't cleared. We have Immigrant visa stamped in our PP which is similar to H1B. There is no entry specifically mentioned as A#. An 8 digit no. in red colour is there, but it is not mentioned as any specific no. On the visa it is written as' Upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year'. Nothing handwritten is there. Did the officer missed something? We were told that we are authorised to work in US and the card will arrive in 3-6 months

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not have my 551 in front of me, but I'm pretty sure the A# is written on it. If not don't sweat, when you get your Welcome letter it will have it on it.

DPP:
Congratulations on your green card...and i concur with alren...You dont have to panic.May be the procedure in Chicago may be different sometimes.I am not sure.I got mine through detroit and it had my Alien number on it.I think your welcome letter should be a 1-797.That should definitely have it.Dont worry.....You will receive your Plastic card within 4 or 5 weeks positively and within that period if you want to travel outside the country you can use your I-551.DONT BE SCARED YOU ARE ALL SET!!!!! ENJOY THE POST GC LIFE.....

BJ77
DPP said:
"I think it will be definitely useful to have a copy of the IV visa bcos we cannot see it any more and if by chance there is an error in the Alien number."

I am sorry I didn't understand what u have meant by this. We have the IV(I- 551) stamped in our PP, right? Where can we find the Alien no.? Can u pls answer???

Thanks
DPP

BJ77 said:
DPP:
Congratulations on your green card...and i concur with alren...You dont have to panic.May be the procedure in Chicago may be different sometimes.I am not sure.I got mine through detroit and it had my Alien number on it.I think your welcome letter should be a 1-797.That should definitely have it.Dont worry.....You will receive your Plastic card within 4 or 5 weeks positively and within that period if you want to travel outside the country you can use your I-551.DONT BE SCARED YOU ARE ALL SET!!!!! ENJOY THE POST GC LIFE.....

BJ77

BJ77,
Thank u very much for the posting...
DPP

Got SS and GC card in mail (3 weeks), SSN complication

Elangs,

We did exactly the same as you did and we got our SS cards in the mail within 3 weeks after our interview. We even got our plastic GCs in the mail.

Ours was a second interview attempt (second India trip) since my wife's appointment was missing (mistake by the consulate). So, this is certainly a fruit of long labor. :)

I want to thank all those who are ever-present on this forum to help newbies in this complicated and nerve-wrenching process, especially those who replied to all my queries. I cannot thank you enough :)

The only complication we have now is that my wife has gotten her SSN card without any "permitted ... INS authorization" clause, but the SSN is different from her old SSN. She was on an H1 before. Any tips in that regard? I guess we will need to visit an SSA office.

elangs said:
I remember in DS 230 Part I or in some place., we filled up as "Yes" to allot for SSN on approval of immigrant visa(for dependents who do not have SSN). After getting the approval and plastic cards., do we need to go to the SSN office and apply freshly to get SSN for dependents or will it come automatically since we marked in one of the forms as "Yes" for SSN.
Also we have filled one more form for SSN in the Chennai embassy.

Experienced CP-er's ., please reply.

Interview Schedule on the Chennai Consulate site..

CPers,
Does anyone have an idea of when the Interview dates for the next month get posted by the consulate ?? Its already the 12th and no signs of any updates yet....Any info will be appreciated...

- Dinz10 :)

December Interview dates...

KD, thanks for the useful tip.
The december interview dates are out now...Looks like they aren't doing any work after 23rd December...a long X'mas and new year break, I suppose.

Anyways, FYI, my case was forwarded to Chennai on Oct 15th and I'm expecting a Jan 2005 interview call...Anyone in the same boat, feel free to contact....

Stay cool.
DinZ. :)

Birth Certificate..Pls help !!

CPers,
I'm waiting on the packet 4 from the Chennai consulate for my interview & I have a question about my birth certificate.

On the long form of my birth certificate, I have my name as 'XXXX YYYY' (my first and middle name - as used in India) instead of XXXX YYYY ZZZZ (first & middle names plus the last name). I got a notarized affidavit from my mother stating proof of my birth and the affidavit addresses my full name. Should this be sufficient ? I have other documents like my school leaving certificate & transfer certificates etc etc which I've heard could be used in place of the birth certificate...but as is the norm in India, all of them addresses my name as XXXX YYYY Z (the Z being the initial of the last name)

Should I be concerned about this ? Kindly advise. Thanks.

DinZ :confused:

Jan Interview..

EB2 - Nebraska - NVC approved application on Oct 15th..Interview Jan 18th.

Looking for air tickets...flying to Chennai via Frankfurt...Can anybody help me & tell me if I need the damn transit visa....Everyone says a different story..

dinz10,

If you don't have a valid visa stamped on the PP you will need a transit visa via Frankfurt.

Rah, Rah, Missourah!!!

alren...

thanks for the reply...The German consulate website is clear about that too..if u r from India and have a valid US visa u dont need one...I just got confused emailing someone at the consulate and they said I need it & man, that application form looked scary... besides I felt better talking to ppl who travelled via frankfurt recently without any transit visa. So, thanks for ur post.