Likely Chennai CP Interview in July/August 2004

i personally know someone in Mid-West whose appointment is scheduled for 9/27 in Mumbai has received appointment letter last tuesday (8/28) in USA. Expect the letter by end of this week.

when to contact consulate?

I had posted this in the likely sept/oct interviews thread, but this didnt much attention...

Thx,

Hi all,

With the dates for interviews coming out only around 20th of the prev month, I am wondering when would be a good (earliest) time to email the consulate to check if I have interview in Oct 04. I recd an email in early Aug saying that my interview is likely to be in oct/ nov.

If they dont have the dates ready when we ask, do they reply once it is ready, but before publishing the dates on the website.

Thanks for your inputs in advance,

Dilbert

dilbert:

check with consulate on or after 10th september for october interview dates & on or after 8th October for November interview dates.

Successful Interview

Hi all,

We had a successful interview last week & got the passport & the sealed envelops. Thanks to every body & best of luck to all who are waiting for the interview.
thanks,
DPP

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats

DPP Congratulations on your successful interview!

Can you post your detailed experience?

Thanks...

dpp:

heartiest congrats on a smooth end to your cp process and going forward live life king size!

2 more days before interview travel - no appointment letter

Thanks for your reply kd1403.

Folks,

I haven't gotten the appointment letter in the US yet. The consulate apparently posted it on Aug 12th. What do you suggest I do? Can I take a copy of the email where the consulate acknowledged that our interview is scheduled? Or should I take the copy to the consulate the day before the interview and try to procure a copy of the appointment letter right then and there? Please advise.

kd1403 said:
i personally know someone in Mid-West whose appointment is scheduled for 9/27 in Mumbai has received appointment letter last tuesday (8/28) in USA. Expect the letter by end of this week.

sreek:

you can request consultate to mail a copy of your letter to your indian address or you / someone you know can pick it up from the consulate in person. You will need the letter not only for the interview but also for the medicals. An email will not work but still carry the email. Also carry a printout from the consulate web site which shows your case number as being listed for the interview.

SSN after CP approval

I remember in DS 230 Part I or in some place., we filled up as "Yes" to allot for SSN on approval of immigrant visa(for dependents who do not have SSN). After getting the approval and plastic cards., do we need to go to the SSN office and apply freshly to get SSN for dependents or will it come automatically since we marked in one of the forms as "Yes" for SSN.
Also we have filled one more form for SSN in the Chennai embassy.

Experienced CP-er's ., please reply.

elangs:
My case was also similar like you...I waited for a month and checked with social security administration.....They said that they have'nt received anything.So i went to the Social security office yesterday and applied for myself and for my wife.

BJ77
elangs said:
I remember in DS 230 Part I or in some place., we filled up as "Yes" to allot for SSN on approval of immigrant visa(for dependents who do not have SSN). After getting the approval and plastic cards., do we need to go to the SSN office and apply freshly to get SSN for dependents or will it come automatically since we marked in one of the forms as "Yes" for SSN.
Also we have filled one more form for SSN in the Chennai embassy.

Experienced CP-er's ., please reply.

Hi sreek,
Has your lawyer received a copy of the appnt letter? If so, maybe you can ask them to send you that.

More experienced ppl can correct me, but i read somewhere that the lawyer also receives a copy of the appt letter.

Dilbert

BJ77 said:
elangs:
My case was also similar like you...I waited for a month and checked with social security administration.....They said that they have'nt received anything.So i went to the Social security office yesterday and applied for myself and for my wife.

BJ77
Do you know what number you called at the SSA and what did you ask specifically?

BJ77 said:
elangs:

BJ77
Thanks for the reply BJ. I am also planning to do the same now. Hope you were applied for the new one for your wife and for you asking for the new card(replacement card with the same #) to remove the "Valid for work with INS auth." Am I right?

alren:
I went to my nearest SSA office and checked in their database by showing my Permanent Residence card and everything.After checking it they said that there is no sign of any application given in favour of me.So i filled out another application and applied it there.

BJ77
alren said:
Do you know what number you called at the SSA and what did you ask specifically?

Elangs:
you are right....I applied to remove "Valid for work with INS auth." from my social security card.When i applied they took my old card and said that i will get a new card in mail within 7 to 10 days...

BJ77

elangs said:
Thanks for the reply BJ. I am also planning to do the same now. Hope you were applied for the new one for your wife and for you asking for the new card(replacement card with the same #) to remove the "Valid for work with INS auth." Am I right?

BJ77 said:
alren:
I went to my nearest SSA office and checked in their database by showing my Permanent Residence card and everything.After checking it they said that there is no sign of any application given in favour of me.So i filled out another application and applied it there.

BJ77
Oh! OK. I am kind of lazy to go to the SSA office and anyway, waiting for my card though ... In no hurry for the SSN.

kovaiGC said:
DPP Congratulations on your successful interview!

Can you post your detailed experience?

Thanks...

Hi kovaiGC,

Sorry for the delay to reply. Our interview was on Aug 24th. We did the medicals on 18th. Needed the appt. letter,PPs, passport size photos & the medical form, that was included in the P4 we recieved in Indian address. It was a smooth process & got the vaccination for MMR & Chicken pox.Our physician was Dr. Mathai Thomas.

We reached the consulate at 8.25 am as our interview was at 9.00 am. There was a big queue outside the gate. When we showed the security officer our appt. letter he let us in, before other category visa candidates.Inside the consulate, an Indian officer asked us to submit the documents as he called the primary applicant's name. These are the documents that he asked for:
1.DS 230II & Medical report.
2.Passports.
3.BC/Non Avail & School leaving Cert. as BC was not available.
4.PCC
5.Marriage Cert. & photos.
6.Notarized Employment letter.
7.W2s & Tax return transcripts for 3 yrs.
8.6 months pay stub.
9.H1B approval notices(I 797).
10.Bank statements.
11.I 134 for spouse.
12. Immigration style photos (front view)
13.Blue Dart DD.

& Copies of documents 3-10.

We were asked whether we had any other visas other than H1 or H4.

Then we were asked to be seated. After, around 1-2 hrs we were called by the American officer.These are the que. he asked.
Which company you are working?
Where is the HQ?
How long have you been in U.S.A?
When was your marriage? & asked for the photos.
He also asked about our son who is a U.S citizen.

The interview was very short & told us that we will receive our passports in 3-4 days.We came out of the consulate at 2.00pm.
We recieved the PPs after 2 days with stamped IV valid for 1yr.

On 13th Sep we entered U.S. Our POE was Chicago & got the welcome letter.
Thanks
DPP.

BJ77 said:
jalabalajings:

I was told by the immigration officer that the I-551 stamp valid for an year is enough to leave and enter the country.I did not make a copy of my IV visa.I think it will be definitely useful to have a copy of the IV visa bcos we cannot see it any more and if by chance there is an error in the Alien number.

BJ77

"I think it will be definitely useful to have a copy of the IV visa bcos we cannot see it any more and if by chance there is an error in the Alien number."

I am sorry I didn't understand what u have meant by this. We have the IV(I- 551) stamped in our PP, right? Where can we find the Alien no.? Can u pls answer???

Thanks
DPP

DPP said:
"I think it will be definitely useful to have a copy of the IV visa bcos we cannot see it any more and if by chance there is an error in the Alien number."

I am sorry I didn't understand what u have meant by this. We have the IV(I- 551) stamped in our PP, right? Where can we find the Alien no.? Can u pls answer???

Thanks
DPP
If you have a copy of your IV visa (is it MRV in chennai now, then you should still have it) then the A# is on the IV. Also the 551 stamp should mention the A# handwritten over it.