• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Level of education OR work experience?

MariaCoy

Hello,
I am a bit confused about what would be best to document in my application. I have what appears to be an equivalent of some graduate degree courses (studied in France) but also have 10 years of work experience in the Tech field (have read there is a shortage of applicants for this job in the US). Would it be of any benefit to me to include my work experience versus my education level on the DV application? Thank you for your help!!

Is this question related to DV 2021 registration or you’re a current DV selectee trying to fill out the DS260 form?

I have the same doubt but in my case I am a DV2020 Selectee.

I have 5 years of experience (in the last 5 years) on a Zone Four Job Occupation (checked on onetonline database) therefore I would like to use that as my qualifications instead of my education. Just to be clear I also qualify based on education (I have an MBA in the USA) but since they specifically ask for High School diploma and it's a little bit problematic for people in Venezuela to officialize that document and apostille at this moment, I want to avoid the whole issue.

My specific question is: What specific document is needed to validate Job Occupation experience? Work Certificate only? Is there something else needed?

I have the same doubt but in my case I am a DV2020 Selectee.

I have 5 years of experience (in the last 5 years) on a Zone Four Job Occupation (checked on onetonline database) therefore I would like to use that as my qualifications instead of my education. Just to be clear I also qualify based on education (I have an MBA in the USA) but since they specifically ask for High School diploma and it's a little bit problematic for people in Venezuela to officialize that document and apostille at this moment, I want to avoid the whole issue.

My specific question is: What specific document is needed to validate Job Occupation experience? Work Certificate only? Is there something else needed?
I understand that getting your high school diploma may be problematic at the moment where you live but I would advise you to try as best you can to obtain it.

Using work experience is subjective and open to interpretation by the interviewing CO, there is not one specific document or piece of information for you to present to them - you take anything and everything you can possibly think of that supports your claim that you meet the work experience criteria.

Because it's not as cut and dried using work experience to qualify for DV lottery it makes the experience that much more stressful - I speak from experience as this is how I went through. Supporting information that I took with me included a printout of my qualified job form o*net, my resume, all previous letters of offer and promotion letters that showed the job title that matched the o*net document, certificates of courses that related to my job, every payslip for the past 3 years that showed my job title. In the end the CO took the copy of the o*net page and my resume, the then asked several questions about when I worked for certain organisations and what my job title was ... If I had the option to just present a high school certificate I would have taken it!!

I understand that getting your high school diploma may be problematic at the moment where you live but I would advise you to try as best you can to obtain it.

Using work experience is subjective and open to interpretation by the interviewing CO, there is not one specific document or piece of information for you to present to them - you take anything and everything you can possibly think of that supports your claim that you meet the work experience criteria.

Because it's not as cut and dried using work experience to qualify for DV lottery it makes the experience that much more stressful - I speak from experience as this is how I went through. Supporting information that I took with me included a printout of my qualified job form o*net, my resume, all previous letters of offer and promotion letters that showed the job title that matched the o*net document, certificates of courses that related to my job, every payslip for the past 3 years that showed my job title. In the end the CO took the copy of the o*net page and my resume, the then asked several questions about when I worked for certain organisations and what my job title was ... If I had the option to just present a high school certificate I would have taken it!!

Thank you Aidyn. Will surely take this into consideration.