Lets start with Feb Filers

Hey guys,

I don't know if you would be able to help me with this but I have a question. I filled out my application with my maiden name. During my fingerprint appointment I asked them if I could change my mainden name to my husband's last name. They said that it is no problem. So now I would love to start using my husband's last name but I don't know how to legally change it. I checked the Social Security website and they are saying that you can change your name but "a name change document (e.g. marriage document) must identify me by both my old and new names". Problem is that we got married in Las Vegas and they put my maiden mane on our marriage certificate without asking us. And I don't have any document which would have my new married name on it. So where I should go and what I should do to change my name? Any ideas? Thank you guys for your time.

Hey guys,

I don't know if you would be able to help me with this but I have a question. I filled out my application with my maiden name. During my fingerprint appointment I asked them if I could change my mainden name to my husband's last name. They said that it is no problem. So now I would love to start using my husband's last name but I don't know how to legally change it. I checked the Social Security website and they are saying that you can change your name but "a name change document (e.g. marriage document) must identify me by both my old and new names". Problem is that we got married in Las Vegas and they put my maiden mane on our marriage certificate without asking us. And I don't have any document which would have my new married name on it. So where I should go and what I should do to change my name? Any ideas? Thank you guys for your time.

why dont u contact your local county clerks office and ask them...they deal with this all the time. they are the ones that issue marriage licenses and certificates etc...

why dont u contact your local county clerks office and ask them...they deal with this all the time. they are the ones that issue marriage licenses and certificates etc...

Thank you klik4it. Honestly, I have no idea where to start and all this paperwork just confuse me. But thank you for a great idea!!! Really appreciate it!

Hey guys,

i read on here another person asked at the interview to change there last name and they said ok so there green card came with the changed last name then they just updated that with the social security office.

i read on here another person asked at the interview to change there last name and they said ok so there green card came with the changed last name then they just updated that with the social security office.

Thank you js360! That sounds like a good idea too. Thank you so much for your input!!!

i am not sure how good of an idea that is...because...having a greencard in a particular name does not constitute proof that your name is what it says on the greencard...does that make sense...i might have worded it a little confusing. This is because for all intents and purposes, your name is what it says on the marriage license/certificate...when we got my marriage license they asked my wife if she was going to take my last name and let them know. i believe the Social security office would need the marriage certificate to reflect ur last name as ur husbands last name to chance a record in the social security system...cos i mean technically there could be another person with a green card with the same name and dob as you. highly unlikely but possible nonetheless. just my 2cents. once again the county clerk would be the one with the right answer cos this is all they do, record peoples stuff , so to speak lol.

i wondered the same- i have my SS card from college and it says valid with work authorization only....so i thought you could only get it taken off only when you got your Green Card......which would be when you no longer need work authorization.

Just received my EAD card today:) Bmore Hopeful, yours will come very soon. From my understanding about the SS card, it says valid with authorization. Since EAD card is Employment Authorization Document, that meets the "authorization" criteria. We should be OK with the current SS card. I think we will need to remove the "valid with authorization" condition from the current SS card when we receive GC. I am not sure if this is correct :rolleyes:

Just received my EAD card today:) Bmore Hopeful, yours will come very soon. From my understanding about the SS card, it says valid with authorization. Since EAD card is Employment Authorization Document, that meets the "authorization" criteria. We should be OK with the current SS card. I think we will need to remove the "valid with authorization" condition from the current SS card when we receive GC. I am not sure if this is correct :rolleyes:

yes that condition is removed once u get ur GC...cos right now in the SS system my number shows that i am under F1 visa. i went to the SS office to get my bday changed cos they screwed up and put it 3 days later than my real bday and i find out after 5 years this year, when we submitted our tax return online and it was returned saying date of birth does not match. so i go in and they tell me that the date of birth is wrong and that i will have to come back once my status is figured out so they can take that condition off and then change my birth date on there. after jumping thru all these hoops i think id do great as a bank robber a la...catherine zeta jones in Entrapment.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
got second "card production ordered email"
yay...now hope the CARD gets to me in a few days cos a few mins after i recieved the second email i got a call from my employers asking if i could do orientation on Thursday from 8-4...fingers crossed!!!

Go to the orientation regardless.
You are fine. Take a printout of the emails and if you're really worried, take a printout of the USCIS portfolio which states your EAD was approved. You are in the clear@!

Why did you apply for EAD for your kid ? isn't he a bit too young to work ? Thought you said he was 1yr ? hA ! so he gets an EAD but I don't ... HHHMMMM> I'm really starting to wonder how carefully they actually do look and consider the applications :)

Why did you apply for EAD for your kid ? isn't he a bit too young to work ? Thought you said he was 1yr ? hA ! so he gets an EAD but I don't ... HHHMMMM> I'm really starting to wonder how carefully they actually do look and consider the applications :)

to get him a SSN, and also, why not, no extra cost, i dont see any reason why anyone wouldnt apply for EAD and/or AP even if they dont intend to use it, you never know what could happen or you may want to go somewhere, and if theres no extra cost, what does it hurt sending a couple extra pieces of paper. but yea, mainly just to get him a SSN as soon as possible.

good luck!

Initial Interview for AOS scheduled day after tomorrow 5/7/2008

Got all my paperwork together dont have much joint bills and stuff with my spouse except for my joint car insurance,joint tax filing 2007 and joint bank a/c
have a lot of wedding pics and honeymoon pics though

Would this be enough?

Thanks
CG

good luck ;)- let us know how it goes

EAD Approval notice mailed

Well my EAD card is on its way- I expect it will be here thursday or friday since i got both "card production emails" and an "approval notice email".
:D
:cool:

congrats cosmic grin

IL was quick. That raises a question, the dates in the USCIS web site are they real? because for NY it says March 2007, but looks like they are processing Feb 2008, can there be such a difference? It would be great if it works for DC as well, as they say current processing time as Jan 2007.

Lucky You!
My employers are up my A** with the EAD as my H1b is expiring on 5/19/2008

as far as I can tell, your employers can be up anything about your EAD, because tomorrow my friend, you will get your STAMP and that EAD will be entirely pointless :)