Leaving country after oath before passport...

chaimdan

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am scheduled for an oath in the coming weeks. Turns out that on the same day I have a family celebration of a sibling in Canada (where I am from) that I must attend.

I was planning on driving right after the oath to canada (5 hrs drive)... but then I remembered hearing I need to have a US passport for reentry...

For various reasons changing the oath day is not an option, and getting a passport also is not possible (no passport issuing agency in my city - Pittsburgh.)

Is there anyway I can DRIVE back into the US with my family (all US citizens) and with my Canadian passport and Citzienship certificate (if that's what I get following oath.) ?

Are there any exceptions? anyway I can do this? any help greatly appreciated.

Chaim

I don't see an issue since you can always use your canadian passport to enter US. I think you can have both US and canadian citizenship I think. I know because some of the athlets in winter olymplics are dual citizens and they can choose either country.

US law requires US citizens to enter US with a US passport - there are no exceptions (even for dual citizens).

OD - 3/26/10 - Going out of country on 03/27/10, requesting the Oath for a later date.

I don't see an issue since you can always use your canadian passport to enter US. I think you can have both US and canadian citizenship I think.

While one can be a citizen of both countries (like I am) a US citizen must never, ever use a foreign passport to seek entrance to the US. That is an act which can be construed as abandonment of US citizenship.

Is there anyway I can DRIVE back into the US with my family (all US citizens) and with my Canadian passport and Citzienship certificate (if that's what I get following oath.) ?

If they swipe your Canadian passport and the system shows that you naturalized, you're going to have a long and ugly day. They'll probably think you're using a stolen passport. And it is illegal for a US citizen to use a foreign passport to enter the US.

Technically as a US citizen you're not supposed to leave the US without a passport or US-issued WHTI-compliant ID, but I've never heard of that being enforced. It's the entry they're concerned about. So you could go to Canada right after the oath, and then apply for a US passport at a consulate so you can return. However, expect the passport to take weeks to be issued.

For various reasons changing the oath day is not an option, and getting a passport also is not possible (no passport issuing agency in my city - Pittsburgh.)

Talk about immovable object meeting unstoppable force. One of these has to give in or you do not travel. Reading what others have said, my advice - change the date of oath.

Last edited by a moderator:
chaimdan, if this was (is) important , why you did (do) not apply for expedited passport via Passport agency. You could get it in the same day or next day at main Passport Agencies with a proof urgency. Extra $60-65 could save you from a lot of headache here.

Otherwise, I agree with others , you are heading for a trouble at re-entry point at US border.

Also be careful, i know this is a long shot, this could mean that you are ignoring USC citizenship (almost abounding it) for entry/exit purposes to US.

Hi,

I am scheduled for an oath in the coming weeks. Turns out that on the same day I have a family celebration of a sibling in Canada (where I am from) that I must attend.

I was planning on driving right after the oath to canada (5 hrs drive)... but then I remembered hearing I need to have a US passport for reentry...

Are there any exceptions? anyway I can do this? any help greatly appreciated.

Chaim

Once you take oath you can't travel back with Canadian passport, although you can enter Canada with Canadian passport.
Why is postponing oath not an option? By delaying oath you can still travel to Canada and return with your Canadian passport and GC.

chaimdan, if this was (is) important , why you did (do) not apply for expedited passport via Passport agency. You could get it in the same day or next day at main Passport Agencies with a proof urgency. Extra $60-65 could save you from a lot of headache here.
Did you read the first post? The family event in Canada will be on the same day as the oath itself, and there is no passport agency nearby. So obtaining a passport in time is not possible.

Thanks everyone for the replies... I will miss the event as changing the date is not an option for me.. Thanks for all the info..

If you have spare time I would say you should go and try to come back with your naturalization certificate. It is possible that they will send you to secondary inspection and still let you in. Don't miss the family celebration or the oath. If you are willing to withstand the inconvenience of secondary inspection you should be fine. This is assuming you are leaving and coming back by ground transportation. Worse comes to worse they don't let you in and you have to apply for a passport at a consulate. That way you get to enjoy the family more.