Las Vegas Interview Experience

limeyvirgo

Registered Users (C)
Hello All

Just thought I'd share my N-400 interview experience at Las Vegas.

My appointment was for 3pm and I arrived at 230pm. The main door was locked and an armed guard opened it from the inside and asked me if I had a letter and for a piece of ID. (there were about 3 guards there and all of them were armed) The guard asked me if I had a cell phone and I told him that I left it in the car and he said, "good". He asked me if I was ready and smiled, and I said "I think so!". He told me I would do great !

I then walked thru a metal detector and my purse and folder was xrayed.

There were about 20 or so people in the waiting room and I sat down and waited patiently.
I ended up waiting over an hour.
Turns out I was the last person for the day for this particular officer.
My name was called and I followed him into a room where he asked me to raise my right hand and swear to tell the truth.

We began by going over my N-400 form.
I told him that we had moved to another state and he asked me why and when we moved.

We just went over each of the questions on the form and then he gave me the test. I was asked about 7 or 8 questions (sorry I didn't keep count!) and I got all of them right !!!

We then confirmed my name, address and DOB (which they had down incorrectly) and he again left the room.
They will send my file to the new DO where I now reside and I can take the oath ceremony there. Whew !

The officer was really nice and polite, I tried to make small talk but I think he was in a hurry to get home....LOL!

Up until the interview I was so nervous and scared.

But it went so well and smoothly and the interview ended, I was recommended for U.S Citizenship.
I shook his hand, thanked him and told him I was very excited about becoming a citizen. He said have a good day and I left.

BTW, I wore jeans, a pretty blouse and black girly shoes. Some guys wore suits and some women wore skirts and caked on the makeup something wicked.
I think they don't really mind what you wear as long as you don't wear shorts, flip flops, raggedy looking clothing etc....

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask !

I am just so glad this part is over. I am almost there !!:)

Hi there,
Congratulations!!! I was wondering how long it took from the date your application was initially submitted until your final interview? Do you know how much longer will it be until you go the actual ceremony? Thanks

What was your timeframe? Was the officer very tall like a law enforcement officer? If so, then I know him as he is such a nice officer in Vegas office. There are only 2 male officers, rest are female officers. But they are all nice. Very small DO office like a 7/11 store.

By the way, just wondering if officer looked at your "girly shoe"???

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,
Congratulations!!! I was wondering how long it took from the date your application was initially submitted until your final interview? Do you know how much longer will it be until you go the actual ceremony? Thanks

Hi Diggy!

I submitted my application July 18, 2007

From what I have heard, they do a mass ceremony here where I live and that will be in July.

What was your timeframe? Was the officer very tall like a law enforcement officer? If so, then I know him as he is such a nice officer in Vegas office. There are only 2 male officers, rest are female officers. But they are all nice. Very small DO office like a 7/11 store.

By the way, just wondering if officer looked at your "girly shoe"???

:)

Hi JC!
The officer was an older gentleman, (late 50's, early 60's) I don't think he was that tall.
All I know was that he was very nice to me, and what made me laugh is he kept messing up on his computer !!! I tried not to giggle, because you could tell he was trying hard not to look all embarassed !!! LOL

Umm don't think he looked at my shoes. He was busy trying to figure out his computer and wanting to go home !!!

You had girly shoe on and he didn't even take a look on them!!! Well, he should have at least taken a quick peek at them, in my opinion especially when they were so girly......

: )

Ok, well I don't know how to describe my shoes, so I described them how I see them which is girly !! LOL

They were black mary-jane type shoes, flat heel.

I told him that we had moved to another state and he asked me why and when we moved.

limeyvirgo: Congratulations!

So the IO did not seem concerned that you reside under a new DO, yet you were interviewing in your former DO? Just wondering if this is the norm, or you were lucky. I would have thought that they insist on applicants interviewing with their current DO.

Care to tell us when you moved relative in time to your interview letter date? It is a borderline situation, date wise?

Thanks.

Hi realnewbie!

At first he was a little concerned but he found out that he could just send my file over to the new DO.
I explained to him that when I called USCIS customer service to explain to them that I was moving and to a new DO, the lady told me to keep the appointment in Vegas no matter what.

I got the notice letter mid Feb and we moved the end of March.
I apologized to the IO if my moving will be an inconvenience in the paperwork, he said it wouldn't and that it was no problem.

Ok, well I don't know how to describe my shoes, so I described them how I see them which is girly !! LOL

They were black mary-jane type shoes, flat heel.

Maybe JohnnyCash assumed that by "girly", you meant "strappy stilettos". :D

Anyway, congratulations on passing your interview! You're almost done with USCIS!

Name change & Vegas oath...

Hi there, do you guys know if oath ceremonies in Vegas are judicial (i.e., court administered ceremony with a judge present) or is it administrative? I ask because I’m desperate to get my name changed via the N400 but have heard some places can no longer do this. Thanks in advance.

Maybe Vegas oaths take place at the Venetian? Haha. That would be cool...

Congratulations, LimeyVirgo (you're a Brit eh?)

sorry... but I can't resist...

do they have slot machines in the lobby of the Las Vegas USCIS office? :D :D :D

how do they deal with the good moral character issue in Vegas? :D :D :D

i'm unamused -.-

heh, but seriously, does anyone have a legit answer to my question re, name change at Vegas ceremonies?