Landing Process and Necessary Info

Help Me.

Hi! I just received a letter that I am eligible to get permanent immigration to Canada & they asked for the passports in New York. Can some one please tell me for how long this permanent visa will be valid? This will be for 60 days or for 6 months?

jowood

There are several posts clarifying this, you have 60 days to send your passport to get it stamped. Once it is stamped you have one yr to land or before your medicals expire which ever comes first.

Once you land you have to be physically residing in Canada for 2 yrs in a 5yr window. If you spend 3 yrs outside Canada in that 5yr window then you have to spend the next 2 yrs in Canada, you cant go out even for a vacation

Landing from Canada

I am on study permit in Canada. After getting visa, how do I complete landing process? Do I need to out of canada? Do I need US visa if I return back from rainbow bridge to complete landing process?

- Thanks

Landed through Peace Bridge 10/05

Owing it to this forum I want to make sure I post our (me and my wife's) landing experience which will help others.

I rented Budget Rental from Rochester Airport. Drove 1.5 hours via peach bridge into Canada (to Fort Erie ). Its a very positive experience. Americans don't take your I-94's when you cross the border.

At the toll post in Canada lady there asked about our visa status. I said we are landing today. She directed us to immigration office. She asked is this your car. I said no its a rental.

I removed I-94 from the passport and kept it in my pocket (learnt from this forum and it was a good hint as sometimes Canadian immigration officers take them away).

At the immigration office they once again asked is this your car? I told my car will be following in few days. They did not ask me anything about how many days I am gonna stay or anything. The officer welcomed me and my wife both of to Canada after completing necessary paper work (they revoked the stamp in the passport, took the paper that consulate sent us, made us sign them and stamped our passports with "became PR on" stamp.

Then he explained our rights and what Canada means to people. HE said it means I am home. I didn't even remember conversion rate. I said I have brought 10K USD he says how much is it in Canadian dollars etc. I converted incorrectly. But that was OK. Then he sent me to another counter to declare total goods and money to follow. Folks make sure you have list ready. I did not. I and my wife spent 10 mins listing all the goods such as Microwave etc. You don't have to be detailed. The whole proc took around 20 minutes. How unbelievable.

After everything went well we just took off to Niagara City. Folks make sure that you are converting KM from the road signs to Miles on your maps to not get lost. Enjoyed Marvellous show of Niagara Falls from Canadian side. Its like an amazing show running in US theatre with Balcony in Canada.

Entered back into USA from Rainbow bridge within 4 hours of landing. And there they sniffed cars with dogs, asked many questions, took my car aside asked about Tobacco / Alcohol.

I have changed employer recently and the stamp in the passport is from old employer. That was not an issue. They did not even ask for the H1 approval notice. Valid I-94 was the savior.

That's all I remember.

Thanks

Buffalo Interview

I have an interview in December 2005 and I have lost the original marriage certificate please suggest what is the best alternative now.
I have original birth certificates of my children showing my name as father. If my parents and my wife's parents give affidavit of marriage will it work, please suggest if anybody else is gone through this kind of situation as it is not possible for me to obtain duplicate from India because the department of marriage did not find 18 years records.
Please advise ASAP.
Thanks

BillOfE

If you are in the US, I think you might be able to get a copy of the marriage cert from your closest Indian Consulate.

eg. For San Francisco and nearby areas, check:
http://www.cgisf.org/visa/indian_services.html

You might have your wife's name on the passport. In any case the consulate would be your best bet...
HTH
Salil

Urgent info required

My wife is planning to land next week on her PR (I had sponsored her). I am trying to find out if she needs to show any proof of funds. if so how much. Besides her passport, COPR and goods to follow, what other documents does she need to carry?

Please help.

Do i have to land at the place mentioned in my PR application?

Gurus,

1) I will be giving landing in a month or so. Do i need to land at the place which i mentioned in my application. I mentioned calgary but now i want to land in toronto. Can i do that? Would there be any problems.

2) Me and my wife have expried visas but valid I-94. If my wife applies for visa in canada, what are the risk if visa is denied?. Can she still come back on same I-94.

3) Do i need to show cash or cashier's check in the amount of 10 k or more or a current bank statement will work?

4) I will be going just for landing so would it be a problem if i do not have much luggage?

I would appreciate if some body can answer these simple questions or forward me to the place where these issues have been addresses on this forum.

Thanks

1) No you can land at a different place
2) If you apply for a visa in Canada you cannot come back unless your visa is approved. You can come back without applying using automatic revalidation within 30 days.
3) It depends there are several posts on this I took a cashiers check and some people have taken bank statements and some both. I woud prefer cashiers check, remember that anything above 10K has to be declared.
4) No it doesnt matter if you have one or several suitcases you can go for a couple of days and come back and plan to move at a later date permanently.

US to canada and back in one day

Hi!
I'm currently awaiting my landing papers and was planning to go and land in canada through road (buffalo) as soon as possible. I had few questions and would be really thankful if anyone could help me.

1) Can we apply for the SIN card at the port of entry? or do we need to go toronto ?

2) I plan to return the same day. Till now, I was planning to give the mailing address of my friends in toronto and ask them to send it to US through someone who is coming here. But ,I read an experience by someone in this forum where they have been called by the authorities for taking the pictures for the SIN card again. If such case arises. how can one enter the country without a SIN card?

Thanks,
Amit

Amit,

You can complete landing process and return the same day back to the US. What is important is the PR Card and not the SIN card. PR Card is applied for by the official completing your landing process and very rarely have people been called in to get another photo taken.

I had the same concern and I asked the lady who was clearing me for landing (landed at Pearson International on Nov 22, 2005) and she said you will need to get a temp visa, then she noticed i had a valid tourist visa for Canada, so she said I can use that to re-enter if need be.

As for the SIN - you can check on their website (http://www.sdc.gc.ca/en/gateways/topics/sxn-gxr.shtml), get the forms and have them ready. You can also check the closest location from where you will be entering and go and apply for it there.

My lawyer had advised me to get SIN as well because then I can start looking for a job or something from the US prior to my move to Canada.

FAA

little confused at the last minute

hi,
me and my husband got our landing papers a while back. Now we are landing in canada on dec/27 (tuesday). We will be using Buffalo/Canada border.

We have a confusion and if somebody can help us here:

We are on H1B AND H4 respectively. We wanted to come back to USA in 5 days from canada after finishing canada trip.

Me and my husband has I-94 "white card" on our passports with the expiry date of July/21/2004 (this date reflected the I-94 from company "A"). We went to India 2.5 years back and at that time my husband was working for company "A". Meanwhile, my husband has changed jobs and now works for company "B" and this company "B"'s visa is stamped on our passports with the expiry date of March/2006.

Since our actual "white card I-94" shows July/21/2004 (i.e expired) -- can that create problems while both of us do re-entry into US ?

both of us have I-797 APPROVAL NOTICES, with their I-94 shows March/2006.

thanks, rucshaca

Last edited by a moderator:
srini88 said:
2) If you apply for a visa in Canada you cannot come back unless your visa is approved. You can come back without applying using automatic revalidation within 30 days.
Hi
What if the visa was cancelled i.e 221(g)... in June 2004 when they stopped at ST.Louis....
Can we get automatic revalidation with approval and I94 which was denied ..( papers doesn't show anywhere, but earlier VISA has a stamp saying "Cancelled without Prejudice")

Actually I have to land in Canada for PR purpose...

Please suggest...

My landing experience through Ambassor Bridge

We used my relative's car drove through the Ambassor Bridge morning of 12/30/05. At the toll post, told the officer that we are reporting our PR today. She asked what goods we brought to Canada; we told them just the casher check and some of our cloth since we are going to Toronto for a few days. She then told us to go inside the immigration office.

Inside immigration office (very BAD experience)
Inside the immigration office, this guy asked if we are landing today and if we are moving our stuffs in. We told them we are not moving in our stuffs today (I know, we should have said in a few days). He all of sudden get mad at us, he asked if we know the clock started clicking today, we said yes. Then the other lady started coming over and took over our documents. She asked why we only stay a few days. We told them we are meeing friends. She kept asking us diff questions, confused us. We lost all the previously prepared answers. She said the principle has to move over first. Then they started asking the car we are driving. He asked if we have written letter from our relative for borrowing the car. We told him no, he started to tell me that the custom would not let me drive my car to Canada today and blah blah blah….. Then the lady took over the conversation again. She asked about our US status. I showed her that our paper which expires in May 2006. She said you still have 5 months, is your company going to renew our status. Told her I am not sure. She said we still have 5 more months of status in US and she would not let me use my friend’s address as permanent address. She wanted us to send in our permanent address later. She told us to sit in the lobby about 15 minutes while she processes our case. I guess we are so unlucky since she is showoff/teaching to the new officer about their job.

Went back to the immigration window, she gave us back 1) the yellow copy of the form that the Buffalo Consulate send us, 2) a form to change our permanent address, 3)revoked the visa stamp in the passport, 4)stamp our passports with written note “Permanent Resident and a number”, 5) the paper that the booth officer gave us; and told us to see the Custom officer.

Custom Office (very smooth)
Gave her our good-to-follow list, show her all the paper that we got from the immigration office and our passport. She asked if we are importing anything today. Told her no. She asked if we are going to import car later. Told her yes and gave her our cars title. She wrote down the vin #. She didn't even look at my cashier check. She asked if all the goods were purchased in US. We told her yes. She stamps both copies of my good-to-follow list. Told us we don’t have to import all our goods at once, we could import our stuffs several times as long as we have the paper.

My Thought
The immigration officer should not question us about our good to follow since it was not their job but custom officer, but they want to find excuses not to land us. We left the immigration office and applied for SIN! Had lunch, cancel our trip to Toronto and came back through the tunnel.

US
Both of our visa stamp on our passport are expired in 05/05. We had a valid 797. Gave the officer our passport and the new H1 renewal (797). She asked the purpose of our trip. Told her we went for PR landing in the morning. She said our I94 expired. Had her looked our renewal 797/129. She looked at it and let us through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Expired L1 Visa

Hello, I hope someone out there can address my issue.

I'm planning to land in Canada via Vancouver border on the first week of February '06 . I have an L1 Visa with an expired stamp in my passport.
I do have an approved extension until the end of this year on a paper.

I'll plan to drive from Seattle to Vancouver on a Saturday morning just to land my papers and be back in the US in the afternoon.
Am I still required to have a valid visa stamped on my passport or I can just show a paper copy of my extension to the immig. officer since I'm only out of
the US for half a day?
My I-94 is still valid until Dec.06.

Appreciate your help.

help

Hello, I hope someone out there can address my issue.

I'm planning to land in Canada via Vancouver border on the first week of February '06 . I have an L1 Visa with an expired stamp in my passport.
I do have an approved extension until the end of this year on a paper.

I'll plan to drive from Seattle to Vancouver on a Saturday morning just to land my papers and be back in the US in the afternoon.
Am I still required to have a valid visa stamped on my passport or I can just show a paper copy of my extension to the immig. officer since I'm only out of
the US for half a day?
My I-94 is still valid until Dec.06.

Appreciate your help.

Need help with a Canaian address?

If someone needs an address in Canada for PR card or SIN card, and has no friends or relative that they can use or someone wants a more reliable means of address, I can help. Contact me with an e-mail address: wilsonpais1@yahoo.com

I think one has to spend three years b4 one can apply for canadain citizenship is this true ?

My secound question is after applying for citizebship how long it takes to process your case

landed successfully

Landed successfully March 2005 through Rainbow bridge Bufflo. The officer didn't ask anything at all, he just looked at my H1B and let me pass. I never thought it is so easy.

Check out
www.doityourselfcanada.com for those who looking to apply for immigration.