Landing Process and Necessary Info

Landing issues

I read from a post in immigration.ca that an officer denied landing in Niagara falls because he did not think they were going to canada to settle. The immigrant had a two way car rental and less luggage. Really getting spooky.

metaman

where did you read on the post. I dont think they have right to deny you landing if you have all the sufficient documents and proof of funds. Can you be more specific about a specific post which talks about this OR Please do not scare people.

rh2002

Thanks for the link. I just find very hard to believe that something like that can also happen. The worst I thought could happen is they wont let you apply for PR card. But that does not mean u will be denied landing. In that thread the guy has not replied to questions such as what they did with his visa. Did they cancel it or not. will he be allowed to land again using same visa and landing papers. So these are the questions that have not been answered in that thread by that guy even though I saw him answering couple of other questions.

smxhan,

You are correct, even I noticed that he has not answered some of the questioins. Hope you already landed in canada.

Rh2002.

smxhan

smxhan : I do not scare people, I am not a saddist. We share information and it would be nice if evryone is treated like a professional they are.

Metaman

I am sorry if u feel offended I was just trying to make a point that you said a very important thing and very unique experience without giving any specific reference.

People follow these posts as guidance. So if information is specific then at least they have an idea where its coming from esp when its something so unique that no one has experienced.

Again I am sorry if you felt offended in anyway.

Landing - Will be useful to all!!!

Hello experts and gurus
I am getting ready to land and I know the below questions have been asked several but I would really appreciate if someone could spare some time and answer these questions I would be greatly obliged. Pls do reply.

1. Should we land by road or by air which is the safest route.
2. Do we have a choice where to land or the place mentioned on the landing papers is where we have to land. Is there a better place for landing.
3. What all do we have to take with us for landing besides the landing papers
4. What is the goods to follow list
5. Is it ok if we take less amount than the one specified on the application
6. What do we have to do after landing to get our PR cards assuming that we would be returning to US in 2-3 days
7. Do we have to surrender our I94 cards while landing or do we keep them with us.
8. How do we carry the amount with us. Can we just take our bank statements?
9. Is there a need to open a bank acct in Canada and what is a SIN card and why do we have to apply for one assuming that we will return to US in 2-3 days.
10. Anything else that we need to know for landing in Canada and for returning back to US
11. My wife has an H1 so should she enter showing her new H1 approval notice with I94 card or she should enter using her old unexpired I94 card from H4 visa.
12. Anything else we need to keep in mind while being with Canadian imm officers while going and with US imm offices while coming back.

Thanks

Jaggy,

I am still in the process of getting my PR, so I cannot answer most of your questions regarding landing. However, regarding number #11, from what I see, looks like your wife was on H-4 while the application was being processed and now she is on H-1 and you want to know whether to re-enter US on H-4 or H-1 after landing....Well, since she already got her H-1 approved, H-4 is automatically void...There is no choice here, she has to re-enter on H-1...So she might need a visa to re-enter...Note that this is just my opinion..You should talk to a qualified professional regarding this...

Good Luck.

I have made reservations to land in Canada (Toronto) in Jauary by air. Looks like thats a safe port. I have spent $3500 in processing fee , $400 more wont hurt. Will post my experience on return.

Landing @ DETROIT TUNNEL

Hi,
I have just received my COPR and am planning to land some time in 1/2 week of december 2004. I plan to get the process completed at the DETROIT-WINDSOR tunnel.

I am planning to give my friends address for the PR card and return back on the same day. Is this Okay?

Need some help on the list of goods to follow.

Is there a specific form that I should use to prepare this list?

Is there a limit, in value, of the goods to follow? Does any one have an idea on What is it?

Should I put my car on the list of goods to follow? If I do, is there certain time period within which I have to take all the goods to CANADA? If yes, what is it?

Can somebody tell me the process in detail at the tunnel.

Thanks
------------------
COOLSERENE :)

Mona123,

I can answer two of your questions

1. Just list all the items you are taking in a spreadsheet.
I just printed out something like this.

Item Value in CAD $
----- --------------
Computer 2500.00
Color TV 450.00
box filled with old books 10.00
mattress 200.00
spoons 5.00
etc
etc
---------------------------------------------------------
Total xxxxx.xx

3. I filled everything i had whether or not I was taking it to
canada.

The officer just skipped through the list and did not look at it much.

So dont worry about the list too much.

Fill in items you might take but are not sure if you would.

Goods to Follow

Is there a format for goods to follow? Is there a form or just write up in Word Table or Excel.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Canada

It looks like someone posted the response right above you....!!

There is no format just type the following columns

Description, Serial Number( electronic stuff), With Passenger, To follow, Value

If you search through past posts in Buffalo Tracker one of the members has uploaded his sample Goods to Follow list

You can have a summary page, then one sheet with clothes, furniture and one for jewellery, bring pictures of jewellery

List whether it is coming with you or will follow in the appropriate column

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

If I am not taking the car when landing, is their any way to take the car after getting the PR.

If yes, where I need to mention for this. FYI The KBB Value of the car is $2500

Thanks
Arun

Hi Srini

add your car to "goods to follow " and take it later but I would rather sell it here and buy a new there and import a $2500 car but thats just me

bhand

I believe arun asked that question not me, I did the same too put in the good to follow since it atleast gives me the option to take it later and if I decide not to then i can buy one there

bhand11683 said:
Hi Srini

add your car to "goods to follow " and take it later but I would rather sell it here and buy a new there and import a $2500 car but thats just me

Thanks Bhand and Thanks Srini. Great. I will add in goods to follow list.

Is their any duty imposed on car, if I include in the goods to follow list.

Thanks
Arun

PR (basic queries)

Anyone knows if it is possible to apply for canadian PR when in h1b status in the US? Does it affect your h1b extension or GC process?

What is the right time to start the canadian PR process and how long does it take? I have other very basic queries related to this topic; please point me to right forum on this site or other website.