Landing Process and Necessary Info

need info please

Hi everybody,

I am planning to land in canada in the last week of this month.

I have misplaced some of my experience letter (employment letter)... Do we need to show the Experience letter to Immigration authorities.

Thanks
ba

In my case they did not see any papers we filed with our application

Hi!

You need to worry about the your Landing papers, Passport, Proof of Finance etc. They don't bother about any papers you submitted while applying for Permanent Residency.

This was what happened in my case when I landed last June and again with my friend who landed last July.

Regards,

Sanvibha

gattu12 said:
Hello,

I am planning to goto Canada during July 1st week. I already have my resident status approved. Incidentally my US GC also came through, but since my Canadian GC is also approved, I would like to use it (since my many family members in Canada) to have flexibility of residing in Canada/USA. I have following questions:

1. I plan to goto Vancouver through Seattle (after renting car). I guess I will take my passport, copy of the document that my canadian GC is approved. Should I also need the following:

a. Bank Balance from US bank showing current funds?

2. After entering Canada, I will give my relative's address at port of entry , so will my Permanent Resident card for Canada be mailed there and later can my relative send me back my Permanent Resident Card?

3. I plan to come back within 1/2 day back to USA. In this case since I have my US GC also stamped on passport, will officer at Canadian port of entry doesn't allow my Canadian PR?

4. Will it cause any problem if I have my US GC stamped and will I be allowed safely back to US? (I am assuming entering back to USA should not be a problem since I have my US GC)

5. Does Canada allow having US as well as Canadian GC/PR?

Hi Gattu12,

You can keep only one PR between US and Canada at one time. You can Keep Citizenship and PR but not PR and PR. Canadian or US Immigration can hold you at the border they may ask you surrender one. When was your US GC and Canadian PR was approved because there is a time limit, off hand I dont know what the time limit is, to pick one. It would be your preference/choice which one you would like to keep.

Thank You Sanvibha!

One question:
Apart from Landing I need to get my H1 visa stamped in Toronto.

Can you tell me how far is the US Consulate from Pearson Intl. Airport. coz I have pay $100 fee @ Scotia Bank before going for my appontment at 9.30 am.

Thanks Once Again
Ba

If you are flying in the same day you might be cutting it close unless there is Scotia Bank in the airport you can search on their web site to see what branches are close the airport.

You need to be there by 9 am for your appointment

Thanks Srini!

I reside in the New England Area and I am still not decided whether to fly or take rental car. Can u guys suggest ? :confused:
I am planning to go in the third week of this month (This depends on receving my H1 approval ...I have filed under premium processing as the 1-94 on the previous h1 approval notice is missing...that 's how i got it).

Thanks
ba

You don't ahve to open the Bank..I don't think it serves any purpose

I have landed in Canada and I still don't have the Social Security No. I opened the account but did not find any purpose in this. However, You may get the address of US consulate from their website and get the direction.

I live in New England and i had gone by Car..around 500 - 550 miles of journey.

I have a slight problem here. I landed in Canada through vancouver on June 01st. I gave my friends address in canada. The problem now is, my friend went on vacation and they tried to deliver my card. No one was there. Does anybody know the phone number inorder for me to contact them to resend the PR card? I would greatly appreciate the help.

Is it true whether all return from canada need visa?

Today, my friend received email from others who landed in Canada. It informed that passport stamped visa is required. It means:

when you come to usa by f1 visa, late changed to h1b in usa. Now your status is h1b. Then after you landed in canada , you need go to get new visa when you want to return back.

It is different from I read from this forum. I'm not sure whether it is true. Whether it is the new law after July 16? Would someone clarify it? Thanks.

Yes you need the visa stamp on the passport when you re enter the country, automatic revalidation is not allowed in the US anymore you have to go outside the US to get your visa stamped.

Hello Srini......When did you take the Appointment at the US Consulate in Toronto and when did you go for the Visa Stamping...Is it after of before the new Visa Rules were enforced?

There is some talk about going to home country for stamping.....I have booked the appointment after the new Visa Rules were enforced and spoke to the customer service Rep. and she did not mention anything about going to home country.

Thanks
ba

My appointment was on July 19th which is right after the new rules went into effect, I took the appointment a month back, I don't think the rules have changed you can go to Canada or Mexico they always advise you to go to your home country if you have just come here for studying and then converted to H1B and you have no past history of working in the US etc, it is mentioned in the appointment letter they send you

Same Boat

Srini

Thanks for your messages. So as I understand u did your landing ( canadian PR) while going to the US consulate in Toronto for H1 revalidataion. corrcet?

Bodba I am in the same boat and I think we should connect ( Can you please email me at jai2002us@hotmail.com.

Jai

Canada Landing Question

Hi,
I have the following Scenario:

Received the Landing Papers (Filed as Single): April 2004
Married: Feb 2004
Wife arrived in US: June 2004
Dead Line to Land in Canada: Jan 2005

My Question is, I received my landing papers after my marriage and I have not notified to the Canadian consulate. Also I still have time to land in Canada. I am not sure what to do here.

1. Land by myself and update my marital status after I receive my PR.
2. Update to canadian consulate and postpone my landing date.
3. Will they complain that I have not updated them my marital status before I receive my landing papers.

Please please advice me how to proceed in this situation. I really appreciate your help in advance.

Does any body have the Canadian PR Phone number. They tried to deliver it to my friends address and he was not there. I need to contact them. I tried calling 1-800 255-4541, but I could not get through. I am here in US. I also tried using a calling card but it is the same thing. Is there anybody who has got hold of that number?

Thanks

Landing Experience - with H1

Thought it may be useful for some,

I've landed in Canada via Toronto, Lester Pearson. Landing process was very simple and easy. I’ve given my friends address for the PR card. Immigration officer asked only one question to see my settlement fund I can't describe how friendly they were, so nice. I had to get my daughter's picture taken at there because the photo that the immigration papers carried didn't meet their criteria. They had tried several times to get a good photo but couldn't, even the director of the immigration come down to take the photo of my baby. It was a very pleasant experience. At the last stage, the officer asked me, "So, you may be having the work visa in the states, right?" I said, yes I do. That’s all at the immigration. I was dome in an hour. (I should have been out of there less than 30 mins If I didn’t have to take the photo). I’ve applied for the SIN card the next day.

I have booked for an H1 visa stamping at Toronto for the next day. I had a 9.00Am slot booked. Never mind about the booking, you got to get in the line and wait no matter what time is your appointment is. There, in US embassy, keep in mind, YOU CANNOT TAKE ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE PAPER WORK Innside, no water, phone, camera, Laptop, food, etc….. You can see the difference between Canadian Immigration officers and US officers. US, they have arrogance written all over their face. Anyway, my H1 interview was over at around 1PM after the finger printing. No questions asked. Keep in mind, Toronto US embassy will NOT issue SAME DAY VISAS. I’ve gone to the consulate the next day and got my passports and came back to US the day after.

My friend received my PR card last week and the landing process was complete,
ajiaa@yahoo.com

Port of Entry( Landing) close to Boston..

Hello Guys,
I have canada immigrant visa expiring in a month. I need to land into Canada before that. Does anybody know port of entry that is close to Boston? And any experiences they have. ( I know Buffalo - but its little far). Appreciate your help. Also I am on Pending I-485 status - would that be an issue?

Thanks.

I belive Buffallo is the best POE

For Bostonians, Buffalo is the best POE.

I landed there only.
See the bright side, you will have tour of Niagara from both Canada and US side :)