landing experience

air_canada said:
The rule at the borders say : Declare anything above $10k ( while crossing US , it is US $10 K and when crossing over to Canada , it is CAN $10K . The rule is "customs rule" for anyone and everyone ( even tourist ) . This amount includes all kinds of monetary instruments ( checks , cashiers checks , cash )

air_canada! thanks for the info.

Hello air_canada,

Just a qiuck question:

How about travelling on a rental car from US with COPR+ passport?

Regards,

--RDTS

air_canada said:
In brief , if travelling on personal car from US on road you'll need either
PR Card / COPR+ passport

travelling from any other country you'll need PR Card or Re entry visa ( permit )

RDTS said:
Hello air_canada,

Just a qiuck question:

How about travelling on a rental car from US with COPR+ passport?

Regards,

--RDTS

You should not have any problems from canadian border - US visitors take rental cars all the time into canada !

I think , rental company shuould be pre-informed and also double check your auto insurance co. for validity in Canada. Normally , there are no issues with them either.

Thank you air_canada

air_canada said:
You should not have any problems from canadian border - US visitors take rental cars all the time into canada !

I think , rental company shuould be pre-informed and also double check your auto insurance co. for validity in Canada. Normally , there are no issues with them either.

Help

hey air canada:

guess u may have answered this before
i got my landing papers from canada -us -h1 visa till next year
i have to land before jan 15 2007
i do not have my h1 stamped on my passport
will i be able to go and come back to the us
and what kind of documents do i have to take
thanks in advance

max2005 said:
hey air canada:

guess u may have answered this before
i got my landing papers from canada -us -h1 visa till next year
i have to land before jan 15 2007
i do not have my h1 stamped on my passport
will i be able to go and come back to the us
and what kind of documents do i have to take
thanks in advance

You 'll have to use your Approval notice I 797 which is valid and has your current I-94 attached + Passports+ Expired Visa.

Should not be a problem in my opinion ( provided you are coming back with in 30 days ) but consult your company attorney in this regard. The rules change frequently and with US-VISIT program now being implemented at most of the entry ports now - you never know what to anticipate.

I have read the recent posts where people have re-eneterd with no issues.

My suggestion : January is far and you can seek an appointment at the US Consulate. Get your new US visas and enter with the new ones.

Landing & Returning without visa stamp

There is no problem as long as you have valid I-94 and Approval Notice and you are returning within 30 days. I was in a same position. I landed on July 30Th,2006 and came back on August 12Th,2006. I was sent to Secondary but the officer said you are fine within 30 days.
Thanks

I owe it to this thread to post my landing experience.

Family of 3, husband wife(primary applicant) + 1 minor(US citizen). Drove through Windsor tunnel from Detroit to Canada on Sunday morning with extended family (aunt and uncle - both US citizens). Heightened security alert at border crossings.
Entered Canada checkpoint, old fat lady gaurding checkpoint was rude to US citizens (extended family), Asked where are you going in Canada, uncle replied - shopping, she said - Shopping?? Where?>> extremely rude tone - uncle mentioned name of the mall - she said never heard about that mall. Uncle mentioned the street address of the mall. She recognized the mall but did not admit it.
When she asked - Who are these people in your car? - Uncle mentioned they are landing as immigrants. - She acted shocked - said - "you are going shopping and these people are landing as immigrants?? Where are their documents?"
I handed her the docs, she seemed like she had lost the case she was trying to build since we had the landing papers. Disappointed, she said, are you carrying anything with you ? - I said, just my spouse and daughter - here is the goods to follow list.
She asked us to pull over to the immigration section building and handed a yellow receipt to take inside the immigration office.

We went inside the office - were asked to come into a section with closed doors , seemed like a tightly secured office with some officers working behind bullet proof glass windows. These seemed to be slightly higher level officials than the lady gaurd.

The officer that interviewed us was exceptionally cordial, asked just few routine questions, who is travelling with you, how much money are you taking, do you have an address in Canada.. Once satisfied, he simply asked us to wait till he entered the data in to the computers, asked us to sign in a green box with strong instructions - signature should not cross green box. Spouse was not clear - so he even came outside from the room which was behind the glass windows into our enclosed unit, explained very clearly using his pen where the sign was limited to and went back in.
All done, he said- passport is stamped as legal permanent residents, can be used for travel while the PR card arrives. Asked us to go to the customs section with the goods to follow list. Customs was the easy part, simply made us wait till they made some entries and then gave us a receipt to show another outside security agent so he lets us take our car (parked outside.). At all places the officers asked us if any of the cars in the GTF list were with us - we replied no - the car we are travelling with belongs to our US relatives travelling with us.

Went into canada, did some shopping, had lunch and came back through the tunnel.
Used AP papers to enter US - only question was - Why did you visit Canada? - We said we were sightseeing with family. Satisfied immediately, the made us wait for long time while they were handling our case, fingerprinting and photos were taken and finally gave us I-94 cards and stamped AP papers.

Thats it - All in all - other than wait times, no real issues as such.
Thanks to this forum that helped in many many aspects - I had taken my life's worth of docs - none of which were required at either of the checkpoints. But owing to this forum, I was able to go confidently since I knew I had most docs if they would have asked me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I Get A Link To The Avr So I Can Print It And Also What Is Ap

billofempire said:
There is no problem as long as you have valid I-94 and Approval Notice and you are returning within 30 days. I was in a same position. I landed on July 30Th,2006 and came back on August 12Th,2006. I was sent to Secondary but the officer said you are fine within 30 days.
Thanks

landed through QEW, buffalo

Owing to this forum, here is my landing experience.

- Drove from buffalo along with my wife to Canada through the qeenston-lewiston bridge without stopping on the US side
-At the Canada border post, handed the passport and the landing papers. Was asked if I had any good with me. Told the officer that I have some listed on my B4 forms. Officer asked me if I was going to return to US or stay in canada. Told him that I plan to stay while my wife will come back to resume her job in US. Was given a yellow slip and asked to proceed to the immigration office.
- At the immigration office, there was a few people ahead of us, within a few minutes a lady immigration officer started to help us. She was quite friendly. She asked a couple of routine questions about how many years I had lived in the US, the plan to stay in Canada, bank statement(Did not ask about the cashiers check). She then asked us to sign the landing papers(Sign should not touch the green boundary of the box). The picture on the landing papers was not quite right, hence she took new ones and actually showed them to us before printing them. She then asked us to sign on some form for the PR card and gave us the welcome to canada handbook. That was it.
- At the custom desk, it was pretty easy as I had already carried two copies each of the goods to follow list and goods carrying list. The custom officer took a few mins to enter the things in the computer, stamped the forms and gave me one copy.
- We stayed in canada for 3 days and then drove back. Stopped to see Niagara Falls from the canada side. Crossed the Rainbow bridge to enter US. At the US broder, gave my passport with the 1-797. We had expired stamped visas but valid I-797 and I-94. The US officer asked us why we had been to Canada and whether we intend to go back. The US officer took out the original expired white I-94 that was attached along with the new I-94 that came with the new I-797. She then handed over the passport back to us and let us enter in a couple of mins.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU IN THIS FORUM FOR THEIR VALUABLE INPUTS

Landing Experience - Peacebridge

Landed Through PeaceBridge couple of days ago.

Flew into Buffalo-Niagara Airport. Rented a car from Avis , Told them about intention to go across the border.

Followed Directions to peace Bridge from the Airport , there are several signs which assist in finding your way to Peace Bridge .

Parked car at Duty free shop and inquired with US - Immigration about automatic 30 - Day Revalidation Rule( since I intended to use that while re-entering) . (you have to cross all the lanes and go into Building marked as Door No 1. There is door marked with X and after Ringing the bell an Officer
will call you in) Officer was Nice and confirmed with Supervisor about AVR.

Canadian Immigration: Told Officer at Canadian side check point about landing and he handed out a white paper. Took this to the Immigration Office. There was queue of about 3 persons.
After a while an immigration officer called my name and asked to go inside his office. After the formalities,
1) Handed out the stamped passports and CPR Forms -Officer was very polite and started processing the case on his desktop.
2) Asked a Canadian address which I provided- Officer entered all the data in CPR forms on his system.
3) Officer then asked about Status of Funds and I handed an official bank Letter along with some statements and he was satisfied
4) Officer repeated the Process for all family members and has the signatures and welcomed us into Canada. (He even provided directions to go to Niagara Falls)
5) Officer also confirmed that we could use the CPR Copy attached to passport to re-enter Canada (before the PR Card was done) as along as you do not use a commercial carrier. In case of emergency, one could use a Re-entry permit issued by a Canadian Consulate in the interim period.
6) Next handed out 2 printed copies of Goods to Follow and personal effect (Goods in possession, B4a and B4e I think) to Customs This was immediately stamped and a copy returned. There were about 8/10 items with No Car.

Visited Niagara Falls and returned to PeaceBridge next day

US Immigration: The agency handling US Immigration/Customs at land Ports is Customs and Border Protection CBP ( a Dept Of Homeland Security DHS agency . Note CBP is a pretty large agency of DHS along with ICE -Immigration and Customs Enforcement and USCIS) .Officer at Checkpoint saw the expired visas , however, confirmed the 30 day rule and sent us to the same Immigration Office across the Bridge with a paper . Note: He took all the passports at this stage.

There was a pretty long queue. All the Officers seemed extremely busy. I do not think there is a definite order about processing but it did not seem First In First Out . There was a wait for 1 hr. After my name was called
Documents taken: All previous I 797s with I 94s, letter from employers, and other documents.
1) Officer inside greeted me and inquired to see the I 797 /I 94 papers. I handed out the current I-94 and I 797 along with all past approval notices. I think he verified continuity of all previous I 797s and I -94s there were no discrepancies. I told him about the 1 day visit to Canada and the reason.
2) Officer was very cordial and he then asked about my place of work and I told him (Incidentally I work for the same Department as a contractor of course) . Officer said he already saw that in the paper work and appeared impressed. I think some preprocessing may have been complete with the passports
He also verified the same for my wife. Child is US Citizen.
3) He then took my expired I-94s and I asked him whether he was following the US - VISIT Protocol , to which he replied that I already knew the process. He then took the index finger print and a photograph.
4) Finally I paid $12 and he printed a fresh set of I 94s with the latest expiry dates , stamped the passport(s) with enry dates and admitted us into US.

Thanks to all previous posts in this Forum which really helped in completing the Process.

last entry date, place and manner

If I have changed my status from F1 to H1B in US and come back to US with a valid I 797 and expired visa, what will be my last entry date, place and manner in case I need to fill the form for H1B extension?

Entering canada from the side of Ottawa

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions regarding canadian PR.It would be great if someone can help:

1.We have mailed today our RPRF (to Buffalo Centre).How long does it take to get the PR documents after that so that we can go to Canada?

2.We have to leave for India on 23rd Nov .Is it possible that we could recieve the PR docs before that?

3.If we don't recieve any response then do we have to submit medical again after coming back from India?

4.Can we go to Canada from Ottawa side if we want to go on the base of our PR docs to get them stamped and attain the PR status?Has anyone been there through 81N?

Thanks,(Pardon me if there is some terminological mistake in my post)

garvin

A Successfull Story

Hello All

First of all Thanks to the amazing people in here who help each other.

I and my family landed in Canada thru Peace Bridge, Buffalo.

At the Border:
Q) Which Country are you from?
INDIA
Q) Have your ID cards like passports?
Yes! Gave our passports
Q) Why are you here?
Landing purpose
Q) Have your landing documents?
Yes! Showed him the documents.
Routine questions like any tobacco, alcohol etc...
No.
Officer: Park you car and go inside for Immigration.
Parked my car and went inside.

First at the Immigration Counter.
Greetings!
Gave our passports and COPR
Entered some info into the computer
After that signed the documents where ever they asked me to, same with my wife and I signed for my kids.
Asked for my Address in Canada, I gave a piece of paper which has my friends name and address on that.
Here I think I messed up. Before them asking I mentioned that I will be going back to USA (the truth) then further questions like when you will come back to Canada again. I said after my assignment is completed in USA.
When? In another 4 to 5 months.
Then the officer said since you are not staying here in Canada now we cannot send your PR cards to your friends place, you have to be here to receive them.
I said OK, No other go. (Cannot argue) But still at the end I tried saying you can send the PR cards to my friends place, again she/he both said you need to stay here to collect them.
Finally Greetings!

Next at the Customs Counter.
Greetings!
Officer: Any goods?
Yes! Gave the B4A and B4E forms.
Calculated the amounts and entered in the computer and stamped the duplicate and returned back to me.
Greetings!

Next morning In Canada applied for SIN.

Back to USA, At the Border.

Officer: Which country are you from?
INDIA
Q) What is your status in USA?
On H1B, gave our passports (I came to USA on B1 and transferred to H1B/wife on H1 transferred from H4 to H1)
Q) Saw my B1 visa and said so, you transferred from B1 to H1
Yes! Gave H1 and H4 I797 to the officer.
Officer: Park and go to door no 1. (Did not give our passports into our hands. Directly were sent to the office by another officer)
Waited in the room for our turn.
At the counter: Where do you work? Answered.
What do you do? Explained. Same questions to my wife.
Q) When did you intend to go back to Canada?
Until the validity of my H1.
(My H1 is until Sept 07 my wife H1 is until Sept 08)
Since you both have different expiration dates which one will you do?
Not sure. I think once my H1 validity is over we will move to Canada.
Officer: Since you all have the I-94 you don’t need new I-94.
He stamped “Admitted” in a piece of white paper and said show this to the officer outside.
Greetings!

Very much relieved. AVR works.

This is the whole conversation at the Borders as far as I remember. Once again thanks to everybody here, especially to BIGBOY and AIRCANADA

prman said:
Hello All

First of all Thanks to the amazing people in here who help each other.

I and my family landed in Canada thru Peace Bridge, Buffalo.

At the Border:
Q) Which Country are you from?
INDIA
Q) Have your ID cards like passports?
Yes! Gave our passports
Q) Why are you here?
Landing purpose
Q) Have your landing documents?
Yes! Showed him the documents.
Routine questions like any tobacco, alcohol etc...
No.
Officer: Park you car and go inside for Immigration.
Parked my car and went inside.

First at the Immigration Counter.
Greetings!
Gave our passports and COPR
Entered some info into the computer
After that signed the documents where ever they asked me to, same with my wife and I signed for my kids.
Asked for my Address in Canada, I gave a piece of paper which has my friends name and address on that.
Here I think I messed up. Before them asking I mentioned that I will be going back to USA (the truth) then further questions like when you will come back to Canada again. I said after my assignment is completed in USA.
When? In another 4 to 5 months.
Then the officer said since you are not staying here in Canada now we cannot send your PR cards to your friends place, you have to be here to receive them.
I said OK, No other go. (Cannot argue) But still at the end I tried saying you can send the PR cards to my friends place, again she/he both said you need to stay here to collect them.
Finally Greetings!

Next at the Customs Counter.
Greetings!
Officer: Any goods?
Yes! Gave the B4A and B4E forms.
Calculated the amounts and entered in the computer and stamped the duplicate and returned back to me.
Greetings!

Next morning In Canada applied for SIN.

Back to USA, At the Border.

Officer: Which country are you from?
INDIA
Q) What is your status in USA?
On H1B, gave our passports (I came to USA on B1 and transferred to H1B/wife on H1 transferred from H4 to H1)
Q) Saw my B1 visa and said so, you transferred from B1 to H1
Yes! Gave H1 and H4 I797 to the officer.
Officer: Park and go to door no 1. (Did not give our passports into our hands. Directly were sent to the office by another officer)
Waited in the room for our turn.
At the counter: Where do you work? Answered.
What do you do? Explained. Same questions to my wife.
Q) When did you intend to go back to Canada?
Until the validity of my H1.
(My H1 is until Sept 07 my wife H1 is until Sept 08)
Since you both have different expiration dates which one will you do?
Not sure. I think once my H1 validity is over we will move to Canada.
Officer: Since you all have the I-94 you don’t need new I-94.
He stamped “Admitted” in a piece of white paper and said show this to the officer outside.
Greetings!

Very much relieved. AVR works.

This is the whole conversation at the Borders as far as I remember. Once again thanks to everybody here, especially to BIGBOY and AIRCANADA

Great job . Dont worry about PR Cards - You can always apply once you decide to move finally and till that time you can always use your COPR to enter thru road.

Please Help in my landing

Landing from India.
Carrying stamped PR visas given by canadian consulate in NY
H1B extension stamping in india is pending due to admistrative processing 221g may take 2 more months.

So, I'm flying from India to Toronto for landing.

Stamping my approved H1B extension is not possible in canda as I'm undergoing a screening India.

Question: How can I go to USA from Canada?

Option 1) Drive from Canada to USA. with expired h1 visa, approved 797, no I94 as I'm in india now. Is it possible?

Option 2) Can I drive to USA using just the PR card without showing my PP?

Please help me.

Thanks,
Poor PR guy wanta to wok in USA :((

hdotcom said:
Landing from India.
Carrying stamped PR visas given by canadian consulate in NY
H1B extension stamping in india is pending due to admistrative processing 221g may take 2 more months.

So, I'm flying from India to Toronto for landing.

Stamping my approved H1B extension is not possible in canda as I'm undergoing a screening India.

Question: How can I go to USA from Canada?

Option 1) Drive from Canada to USA. with expired h1 visa, approved 797, no I94 as I'm in india now. Is it possible?

Option 2) Can I drive to USA using just the PR card without showing my PP?

Please help me.

Thanks,
Poor PR guy wanta to wok in USA :((

option 1 : too risky : 99% chances that with the new US-VISIT system in place, they 'll have remarks from indian consulate on your file when they try to prepare your new I-94 at US Immigration at the border.

option 2 : Impossible - you have to show your Passport + Visa ( expired / unexpired ) + ( Valid ) I 94 + I 797 ( Valid )

You cannot drive thru waving your canadian PR + without paying visit inside immigration office since you do not have a valid I -94. and once you are inside the US Immigration building , "option 1" kicks in..

so do not take any chances - wait for h1b extension and if your landing date is coming near - you must land now and come back to the US later.