landing experience

Hi,

I went to Canada on May 12th and came back on 14th by air.

H1B, Visa Expired on Passport, But I have valid H1 Apporval Notice upto Oct 2006.

I did not surrender my I94 card ( Basically they didn't take it).

While coming back in Toronto (basically all US immigration work will be done in Toronto Airport) they asked me to fill another I94 card. So I did it. On the back of the I94 card, the INS officer wrote the EAC# of my H1 approval notice. (It happend for all family members).

Thanks,
Ramprasad

Immigration Photo requirements

Folks,

The Canada immigration application checklist states photo size as 35 mm by 45 mm or 1 and 3/8" by 1 and 3/4" size. Walmart, CVS, Ritz Photo all do 2inch by 2 inch and none seem to do the 35 X 45mm size in Virginia. So where does one get these pics taken?
Appreciate your help. This is holding my application process. Can someone who has done this help?

-Prem

My landing experience

Owing to this thread, here is my landing experience.
I travelled via my own car (Bank financed) to canada through windsor tunnel. Being a pakistani male i was subjected to special registration. On your way to canada you will not encounter INS unless you are really cautious about it. They all are on the other side of road (atleast on windsor tunnel) so you have to be careful not to leave US without Exit Registration. I parked my vehicle before getting to toll plaza and walked acroos the road (very odd) with my wife and 2 kids to the INS office. They looked at my FIN # (make sure you have that available either on your current or old I-94 or on your visa / passport). They took my passport (expired H1B visa, Valid I-94) and approval notice and started working on computer for few minutes. He then stamped my passport with Exit Stamp and wrote the Fin # again on exit stamp. My wife was not subjected to special registration so they did not do any thing on her passport. As per my understanding, males form 16-45 yrs of age and from 22-25 muslim countires or whoever got registered at entry to US is subjected to exit registration.

When i entered the canada, the lady at driving check post took all of our passports and asked about the vehicle. She wrote on the yellow paper that my car is not titled in my name. I then went to the Canadian immigration office. The lady there took all our documents, asked for the address. I gave my cousins address and she asked if it is mine. She refused to take my cousin's address and said that i can either fax the address or do it on web.
I had bank statement with me but no body asked for it or any other proof of funds. I was only asked the amount which i told to be 10000 Can Dollar.
She asked me and my wife to sign with-in the green box on the landing paper which i screwd up as my signature crossed the green line. She was not too happy about that and said i might have to fill out the whole paper again. She then asked us to go to Custom's department which is right next door. That went pretty smooth. I had just clothes with me and i had already filled every thing on form B4A (Good to follow). The lady at custom counter was happy that i have already done the hard part. It took us about 10 minutes there and we were good to go to canada.
I stayed there for 2 days, visited niagra falls and came back through Peace Bridge. At the driving check post, i was asked to park the car in the immigration parking area and my visa and documents were sent in a yellow envelop directly to the immigration department. There was a long line there and i had to wait about 30 minutes. My name was called and the officer asked my purpose of visit, What i do in US, Where i live. The officer was nice. He again looked for the Fin# and exit stamp which i got at windsor tunnel. He took my photo, finger print, and stamped my passport with entry stamp. My wife was again allowed without any registration and stamp though they swiped her old H-1 visa (which was converted to H-4 Status). My US Citizen Kids had no issue any where.
Before leaving for canada, i had called the peace bridge immigraiton department just to confirm the AVR process. For AVR you should have any visa stamped on your passport and you should be not be borned citizen of 6 countries (List on state dept website). Your stay should be less than 30 days and you should not have applied for visa in Canada. They look for that in your passport. AVR works very smooth with above conditions.

I will try to answer any more questions in next few days.

Thanks a bunch to this website and Good Luck with your immigration.

Need info for landing using AVR

Hi All,
I will be landing soon and plan to use the AVR rule for re-rentering US. I have read a lot of posts on this forum but I am still not sure whether my wife can use the AVR process or not.

My wife was on a H4 visa(stamped on passport) with an expiry of June 12 , 2006. But in Dec 2005, she got a H1 visa which is valid till July 2007. Can she use the AVR process to re-enter US using her H1 approval (I-797) and the I-94 that she received along with it or does the status change from H4 to H1 is going to be a problem.

PLEASE HELP

Status does not matter for AVR

Status does not matter for AVR. If the visa is H4 and I-94 is H1 she is still okay. My wife had H-1 stamped but COS to H-4 and she had no problem at all. Read State Dept Website if you want to be more satisfied. The only issue were for canadian immigrants who do not require visa few yrs ago and when they tried to enter back US using AVR, since they had no visa stamped, they had to apply for the visa in canada.

Need Your Help For Canadian Landing

HI
I m also from Pakistan and have same situation as u had i got my landing paper and visa last week but my F-1 visa in my passport is expired and i m on currently ON STATUS my wife is on F-2 visa valid upto 2008 November so TELL ME HOW TO USE AVR SYSTEM
could u please give me ur # i will call please
Thanks
Bye

ck_b2001 said:
Owing to this thread, here is my landing experience.
I travelled via my own car (Bank financed) to canada through windsor tunnel. Being a pakistani male i was subjected to special registration. On your way to canada you will not encounter INS unless you are really cautious about it. They all are on the other side of road (atleast on windsor tunnel) so you have to be careful not to leave US without Exit Registration. I parked my vehicle before getting to toll plaza and walked acroos the road (very odd) with my wife and 2 kids to the INS office. They looked at my FIN # (make sure you have that available either on your current or old I-94 or on your visa / passport). They took my passport (expired H1B visa, Valid I-94) and approval notice and started working on computer for few minutes. He then stamped my passport with Exit Stamp and wrote the Fin # again on exit stamp. My wife was not subjected to special registration so they did not do any thing on her passport. As per my understanding, males form 16-45 yrs of age and from 22-25 muslim countires or whoever got registered at entry to US is subjected to exit registration.

When i entered the canada, the lady at driving check post took all of our passports and asked about the vehicle. She wrote on the yellow paper that my car is not titled in my name. I then went to the Canadian immigration office. The lady there took all our documents, asked for the address. I gave my cousins address and she asked if it is mine. She refused to take my cousin's address and said that i can either fax the address or do it on web.
I had bank statement with me but no body asked for it or any other proof of funds. I was only asked the amount which i told to be 10000 Can Dollar.
She asked me and my wife to sign with-in the green box on the landing paper which i screwd up as my signature crossed the green line. She was not too happy about that and said i might have to fill out the whole paper again. She then asked us to go to Custom's department which is right next door. That went pretty smooth. I had just clothes with me and i had already filled every thing on form B4A (Good to follow). The lady at custom counter was happy that i have already done the hard part. It took us about 10 minutes there and we were good to go to canada.
I stayed there for 2 days, visited niagra falls and came back through Peace Bridge. At the driving check post, i was asked to park the car in the immigration parking area and my visa and documents were sent in a yellow envelop directly to the immigration department. There was a long line there and i had to wait about 30 minutes. My name was called and the officer asked my purpose of visit, What i do in US, Where i live. The officer was nice. He again looked for the Fin# and exit stamp which i got at windsor tunnel. He took my photo, finger print, and stamped my passport with entry stamp. My wife was again allowed without any registration and stamp though they swiped her old H-1 visa (which was converted to H-4 Status). My US Citizen Kids had no issue any where.
Before leaving for canada, i had called the peace bridge immigraiton department just to confirm the AVR process. For AVR you should have any visa stamped on your passport and you should be not be borned citizen of 6 countries (List on state dept website). Your stay should be less than 30 days and you should not have applied for visa in Canada. They look for that in your passport. AVR works very smooth with above conditions.

I will try to answer any more questions in next few days.

Thanks a bunch to this website and Good Luck with your immigration.

I am from Pakistan . I went to canada from jfk airport and came back from LGA airporat . I had expired h1b1 visa but valid I-797 . I came back today without any problem .if any body needs detail information I can be reached at 718-312-2777

Last edited by a moderator:
Air_canada (and other folks),

We are planning to permanently relocating from Seattle to Vancouver in August. After researching through the whole thread, there are two remaining questions.

1. Will our car be tax(duty) free for importation? Some posts say yes, some others say duty free only for up to $10,000.

2. Funds to bring to canada. We will bring $20k traveler's checks with us to cover the settlement fund requirement. But we will also transfer all our reamaining US funds to Canda after we open an Canadian bank account. What should be inform the immgration/custom officer? (I am assming personal check will be ok to do the final funds transfer from US to Canada) If we only tell them the $20K, will we be taxed later for all the rest of our money.

Please help.

All replies are welcome and apprecaited.

Question on Advanced Parole - Urgent

I'm in my 7th year and got my H1 EXTENSION.

whatz AP?
What does that mean and when it is used and for what?

What should be done for that?

Thanks.

Thanks for the link.

I'm planning to land in canada doe PR.So I'm thinking of getting stamping in canada for H1 extension.I'm in 6th year and have applied for H1 extension for 7th year.

In case I go for stamping after the landing formalities and if the US consulate in canada see my passport stamped for Canadian PR,will they raise any questions.

Is it advisable to get the stamping in Canada? And I checked in their website (Toronto US cOnsulate) and it says the wait period for Non-immigrant visa is 71 days.So is it a risk to get the stamping there?

Thanks.

No, I have done that before. You will find several posts in the landing forum. I suggest you also do some searching there. If your paperwork is in order then there should be no issue. Its your personal choice either get it done or use AVR.I believe you had already posted about that before.

I dont think you understand what the 71 days mean, it means to get an interview appointment it takes upto 71 days, it clearly states right below in this link that processing time is 1 day.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wait/tempvisitors_wait_result.php?post=Toronto&x=85&y=14

When you go for a stamping they try to process it and give it the next day. If there are issues it can take upto 30 days but thats usually rare unless you have problems with your paperwork.

Thanks.I checked their website and it says that they will send the stamped passport next day to an address and says that in-person pickup is only available with proper reason.I will be staying in a hotel.So dont know which address to give.

How did u get the passport?
I will be in canada only for 2 days out of which one is a sunday.
In case u picked up in person,what reason did u give?

I checked the 71 days wait period in
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wait/tempvisitors_wait_result.php?post=Toronto&x=57&y=14

and

http://www.amcits.com/visa_delay.asp

Can u pls clear me on one more thing.I read somewhere that you can go only 10 days prior to the the start date on your new I797A or after the start date. Do u know anything about it?

Thanks.

Thanks.

First of all if you read the instructions carefully you will realize that mailing it only applies if you live in Canada. If you live in the US you are still eligible to pick it up the next day assuming your visa is approved.

The links in your post link to the same one I put in my post. The 71 day is the wait time not the processing time.

I am not sure what you mean by the 10 days or start date I have never heard of it

Moving Questions

Can anyone please provide some information regarding this? We are one week from moving and still not sure about the answers. Thanks.

zerox said:

We are planning to permanently relocating from Seattle to Vancouver in August. After researching through the whole thread, there are two remaining questions.

1. Will our car be tax(duty) free for importation? Some posts say yes, some others say duty free only for up to $10,000.

2. Funds to bring to canada. We will bring $20k traveler's checks with us to cover the settlement fund requirement. But we will also transfer all our reamaining US funds to Canda after we open an Canadian bank account. What should be inform the immgration/custom officer? (I am assming personal check will be ok to do the final funds transfer from US to Canada) If we only tell them the $20K, will we be taxed later for all the rest of our money.

Please help.

See Canada Customs homepage, you will get all the info you want.

For your car, the duty depends on what car it is. If it is made in North America, then they will determine the cost and first cdn$10,000 will be tax exempt. The rest of the amount will be subject to the tax.

If the car is not made in N. America, say made in Japan, then the whole value of the car (cdn $$) is taxable.

For the cash you bring, it is not taxable if you bring it at the time you land. If you plan to bring the remaining portion afterwards, declare it at the time of landing to avoid any future tax related issues/complication..

zerox said:
Can anyone please provide some information regarding this? We are one week from moving and still not sure about the answers. Thanks.

zerox said:

Please help.

Refer duties / customs for settlers on web page :

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cm/d2-2-1/d2-2-1-e.html#ownership

Read "Goods Admissible"

10. Either husband or wife or both may claim free importation of personal and household effects, under tariff item No. 9807.00.00, regardless of whether the goods are registered jointly or in either name. Personal and household effects can include such items as:

(a) wearing apparel, household furniture and appliances, books, musical instruments, personal computers, bicycles, hobby tools, firearms, travel and utility trailers, pleasure boats, and personal aircraft;

(b) travel trailers not exceeding 2.6 metres (9 ft.) in width, which the owner is capable of moving from place to place on a personal basis, motor homes, tool sheds or garages which do not attach to or form part of a dwelling;

(c) vehicles; and

(d) goods acquired by a settler for personal use, while in transit to Canada from the former country of domicile, that were owned, possessed, and used abroad by the settler prior to his or her arrival in Canada.

As far as I can see , they'll allow you a duty free import of not just personal vehicles but also of a personal aircraft , in case it has been in your possession for some time.

( read my earlier posts on how to export and import cars from US )

Caution given to me at the time of B4E ( Goods to follow list ) stamping upon landing was : Do not add anything to the list - Do not sell anything from the list in Canada for 1 year.

Also , they 'll ask you about the funds you are carrying and they 'll write it down on your COPR ( this is what immigration dept. will do ) and now if the same amount is more than 10k CAD you 'll have to declare it to Customs person as well while getting your B4 and B4E forms stamped. Its just one additional form.

Once you are in Vancouver , you can open as many bank accounts you like and get all your US money check or wire transferred with no issues at all. I dont see any future tax-implications in doing this.

Thank you very much for the quick response. Always very informative.

It clears up my question regarding car importation.

Just to clarify the US money situation, you implied that I will only need to declare the amount that I bring with me on that landing day, not the remain money still in the US banks. Is that true?

Thanks again.

air_canada said:
Refer duties / customs for settlers on web page :

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cm/d2-2-1/d2-2-1-e.html#ownership

Read "Goods Admissible"

10. Either husband or wife or both may claim free importation of personal and household effects, under tariff item No. 9807.00.00, regardless of whether the goods are registered jointly or in either name. Personal and household effects can include such items as:

(a) wearing apparel, household furniture and appliances, books, musical instruments, personal computers, bicycles, hobby tools, firearms, travel and utility trailers, pleasure boats, and personal aircraft;

(b) travel trailers not exceeding 2.6 metres (9 ft.) in width, which the owner is capable of moving from place to place on a personal basis, motor homes, tool sheds or garages which do not attach to or form part of a dwelling;

(c) vehicles; and

(d) goods acquired by a settler for personal use, while in transit to Canada from the former country of domicile, that were owned, possessed, and used abroad by the settler prior to his or her arrival in Canada.

As far as I can see , they'll allow you a duty free import of not just personal vehicles but also of a personal aircraft , in case it has been in your possession for some time.

( read my earlier posts on how to export and import cars from US )

Caution given to me at the time of B4E ( Goods to follow list ) stamping upon landing was : Do not add anything to the list - Do not sell anything from the list in Canada for 1 year.

Also , they 'll ask you about the funds you are carrying and they 'll write it down on your COPR ( this is what immigration dept. will do ) and now if the same amount is more than 10k CAD you 'll have to declare it to Customs person as well while getting your B4 and B4E forms stamped. Its just one additional form.

Once you are in Vancouver , you can open as many bank accounts you like and get all your US money check or wire transferred with no issues at all. I dont see any future tax-implications in doing this.

Hi Bigboy00,

Thanks for the inofrmation. Could you please specify on how to declare the money during landing? Do I put the amount on B4E, goods to follow list?

bigboy00 said:
For the cash you bring, it is not taxable if you bring it at the time you land. If you plan to bring the remaining portion afterwards, declare it at the time of landing to avoid any future tax related issues/complication..

zerox said:
Thank you very much for the quick response. Always very informative.

It clears up my question regarding car importation.

Just to clarify the US money situation, you implied that I will only need to declare the amount that I bring with me on that landing day, not the remain money still in the US banks. Is that true?

Thanks again.

Yes , you are right. You do not need to declare anything apart from what you are carrying on that day during border crossing. This declaration is mandatory for anyone ( even tourist , americans , canadians ) who are crossing border either way. Declare it if its CAD 10k+ for while entering Canada and USD 10K+ while entering US.

I carried self payable 8.5k USD ( to keep it under CAD 10K ) cashiers check as our settlement money (family of 3 ) and told immigration officer who promptly noted the amount down in my COPR. Did not bother to see or verify it.

Later, I told the same thing to customs guy while doing B4/B4E and he too did not bother since it was less than CAD 10k. There were no forms filled with respect to money.

Hours later, I re-entered US border on the opposite side - did not declare it and deposited back into my bank the next day.