landing experience

I filled the list by hand. I tried making the PDF form fillable but couldnt. I didnt bother about listing clothes. I am not sure if the Canadian authorities are either. The customs officer said that the main thing they will look for is the car. I listed electronics, jewels & car.

sapota1 said:
I filled the list by hand. I tried making the PDF form fillable but couldnt. I didnt bother about listing clothes. I am not sure if the Canadian authorities are either. The customs officer said that the main thing they will look for is the car. I listed electronics, jewels & car.

Hi Sapota,

Related to car, what are all the documents need to be attached for "Goods to follow list"?

Is mentioning the car details only enough in "Goods to follow list" or Should I attached the photocopy of the title and other documents too.?

Thanks
Arun

Re-entering in Canada before PR card is recived

Experts;

I will be using rental car to land Canada via Detroit and will be completing my landing formalities. I will give my friends address so that the PR card is mailed to him and will be returning back to US on the same day.

Before the PR card is received, is it true that one cannot re-enter Canada by Air using the visa stamped on you passport but if you travel by private vehicle or rental car you can do so.

Thanks
-Pearl

You cannot even use rental car, but it is not really enforced. I returned in a rental car once. The rule being Canadian PR cannot drive US rental card into Canada. Infact Avis asks you if are Canadian/US resident. If you are a Canadian resident (PR) they will not rent you.

metamen

Metamen;

Can you please share your experince of reentering into Canada especially at the Canadidan border what documents did you carry, what dit Canadian immigration ask

I carried my passport and record of landing. I also carried my appointment letter for PR photo. The Canadian officer didnt ask much, where are you going and are you bringing anything with you?

landing question

Hi, metaman,
Did you reapply the visa stamp for coming back to U.S. after the landing? I am a H1B holder with a valid I-94 and expired F-1 stamp on the passport. Do I have to apply the visa stamp or I can use this so called 30 days automatic revalidation? appreciate your input.

thanks
metaman said:
I carried my passport and record of landing. I also carried my appointment letter for PR photo. The Canadian officer didnt ask much, where are you going and are you bringing anything with you?

Same situation here

yimin,

I have exactly the same situation as yours. Did you finish the landing recently?

thanks

Planning Landing soon from NY/NJ area via road--Any interested in teaming up?!?

Hello all,

I'm (single) planning for landing via road in a rental car with GPS end April/begining May '05. Besides the landing, I have to get my H1B visa stamped at the US consulate (since old one is expired, and the is no revaldiation process existing within US). Let me know if someone is in the same boat...probably we can team up to share some expenses. Additionally, it will be nice to have a company. I'll live in the NY/NJ area..so someone from there..or even from MD/VA is fine with me. Thanks much.

laengineer ,
I had a valid visa, but you could have used automatic revalidation. If you decide to apply for H1B , you cannot use automatic revalidation should your H1B be rejected for any reason.

I have a question if someone could please answer:

I am landing next month. The tiem I applied I shopwed funds in the bank as well as during IA but now I have a job offer and was also approved form HRDC so my question is: Can I land without proof of fund sicne I can show my job offer...

Thanks

Hi Metaman,

In what cases, bank account opening is needed after landing ?

Should I pay canada tax if I open the bank account in canada ? How easy to close the bank account from US in case not needed ?

I want to land and come back after few days and not have any plan to settle there.

Thank you so much.

Arun

hey Arun

If you have no plans to settle there ever, why did you even apply for PR ;)
Kinda beats the purpose isnt it.
We all know the answer but plz dont be so brisk or nonchalant about it. Its people who treat this process like you and others who want to go to Canada for landing and return back the same day etc etc who is going to make Canada become strict and stop accepting immigrants like us with H1.

We are all in the same boat but instead of saying we have "no plans" lets just say we may move in 2 or 3 yrs instead. Because the reality is that if the US doesnt approve our GC we will be the first ones with our tails wagging entering through Canada's border
No malice intended.
Thanks.

Arun,
I opened a bank account because when I sell my house I want to wire my money to my Canadian account if the exchange rate is right. I am in the process of planning my move but jobs in Canada are not plentiful.
You need to file income tax if your account is interest bearing. If you do not plan to move there and you are treating you Canadian PR as a back up (nothing illegal or immoral about it, its your personal decision), I would not open a bank account.
The Canadian immigration system should be reformed to attract talent and keep them there. A lot of people keep a PR status just as a back up as provided by law. If the Canadians do not like that (I certainly dont), they sould change the immigration laws and make it more inline with their goals.You need to do whats best for you and your family.
Thanks
Metaman.

My wife and I landed at Toronto Pearson Airport on March 4, 2005. Overall, it was quick (40 minutes in total) and easy (officers were friendly and very unlike the US immigration I encountered on the way back). In summary:

1. Flew in from Boston - arrived just before 0900hrs; airport was practically empty with no lines in immigration or customs.
2. Immigration process took about 20 minutes including photos for PR; gave friend's address.
3. Was asked three questions at immigration - a) do you have a Canadian address where you will be staying?, b) do you have any children? and c) how much money are you carrying with you? (did not ask for any evidence).
4. Immigration officer said that I should not leave the country for another six weeks until I get the PR card or I would have to apply for a travel document on the way back.
5. Then on to customs - took another 20 minutes; gave excel version of the goods to follow list; told the officer I was carrying more than USD10K (he didn't care to fill form E677, which I had already pre-filled in the event they asked for it, which they didn't).
6. Visited HRDC office in downtown Toronto (St. Clair/Yonge Street) to apply for SIN - took five minutes; gave Canadian friend's address for mailing the cards. Here again the contrast between Canadian HRDC and the US Social Security Administration (with whom I have had to deal with on a number of occasions) is stark. No points for guessing which one was unpleasant.

texancanadian said:
If you have no plans to settle there ever, why did you even apply for PR ;)
Kinda beats the purpose isnt it.
We all know the answer but plz dont be so brisk or nonchalant about it. Its people who treat this process like you and others who want to go to Canada for landing and return back the same day etc etc who is going to make Canada become strict and stop accepting immigrants like us with H1.

We are all in the same boat but instead of saying we have "no plans" lets just say we may move in 2 or 3 yrs instead. Because the reality is that if the US doesnt approve our GC we will be the first ones with our tails wagging entering through Canada's border
No malice intended.
Thanks.
Yes. You are cent percent right texancanadian.

If GC not approved, I just take my car and settle in canada.
Thanks
Arun

metaman said:
Arun,
I opened a bank account because when I sell my house I want to wire my money to my Canadian account if the exchange rate is right. I am in the process of planning my move but jobs in Canada are not plentiful.
You need to file income tax if your account is interest bearing. If you do not plan to move there and you are treating you Canadian PR as a back up (nothing illegal or immoral about it, its your personal decision), I would not open a bank account.
The Canadian immigration system should be reformed to attract talent and keep them there. A lot of people keep a PR status just as a back up as provided by law. If the Canadians do not like that (I certainly dont), they sould change the immigration laws and make it more inline with their goals.You need to do whats best for you and your family.
Thanks
Metaman.

Thanks for your advice metaman.

I will open my bank account later if needed as I am not seeing any necessity other than moving the money to canada. I think if I open the bank account, then Filing the income tax -return also will become hassle later.

Thank you so much
Arun

gretzky said:
My wife and I landed at Toronto Pearson Airport on March 4, 2005. Overall, it was quick (40 minutes in total) and easy (officers were friendly and very unlike the US immigration I encountered on the way back). In summary:

1. Flew in from Boston - arrived just before 0900hrs; airport was practically empty with no lines in immigration or customs.
2. Immigration process took about 20 minutes including photos for PR; gave friend's address.
3. Was asked three questions at immigration - a) do you have a Canadian address where you will be staying?, b) do you have any children? and c) how much money are you carrying with you? (did not ask for any evidence).
4. Immigration officer said that I should not leave the country for another six weeks until I get the PR card or I would have to apply for a travel document on the way back.
5. Then on to customs - took another 20 minutes; gave excel version of the goods to follow list; told the officer I was carrying more than USD10K (he didn't care to fill form E677, which I had already pre-filled in the event they asked for it, which they didn't).
6. Visited HRDC office in downtown Toronto (St. Clair/Yonge Street) to apply for SIN - took five minutes; gave Canadian friend's address for mailing the cards. Here again the contrast between Canadian HRDC and the US Social Security Administration (with whom I have had to deal with on a number of occasions) is stark. No points for guessing which one was unpleasant.

Congratulations gretzky,

I have a question for you. I am planning to land by second week of April. What are the forms (as you mentioned E677, and goods to follow) required other than the COPR provided by the consulate. Do we need to complete something in COPR. What other preparations we need.

Thanks,
meetme

Arun,
I wish I can take my car and settle in canada :) Its not as simple as that especially with a good paying US job. Finally it all comes to money. I am trying to find a job in Canada and so far no luck. I get very few interviews and they offer me entry level programmer for $60,000 (CAN) in Toronto. I live in a small city in US and make over $75,000. My wife is employed too. Not figuring the exchange rate and just comparing the quality of life, I decided to make my move, but no jobs yet ...........
I guess the only thing that was easy about Canada is the immigration.
Thanks
metaman