landing experience

Love2002,

Congratulations on your successful landing experience in CANADA.

I have not followed this forum regularly and hence kindly bear with me when I ask the below 2 questions.

1. What is your interest and motivation in landing in CANADA after your US GC has come through? I am assuming of course that you are working here.
2. How do you plan to maintain the status in CAN since in the overwhelming number of situations , CAN PR always gets hit when there is a choice between US and CAN PR

Thanks!

follow up questions

ssam said:
There is no harm in including each and every item u have but u have to pay duty if it is not in list.

I even added my Grill to the list though I do not plan to take it. Officer told me i can ship these item as and when i want. I listed items worth $48000

Hope this helps

thanks for the good information: I have more questions based on your advice.

What if you list something but in the future, you won't bring them in?
such like car. if I list it. but I rent car to land. are they going to enforce me to do all the safty check, re engineer the lights...

how detail my list need to be?

Can I land at Vancouver versus Toronto ?

At time of application, I specified Toronto as my base place and I will provide correspondence address in Toronto.

However, currently situated in west coast, I would prefer to do the landing formalities in Vancouver.

Will it be a problem ?

For jhumkasrc

You can land in vancouver. It depends on the officer present at that time to allow you file for PR card or tell you to file when u land permanently.

Just keep in mind that if you land in Vancouver and provide address for toronto then if required you will have to go to Toronto to "Pick up" your PR card or any other things required..

Better for you to provide an address in vancouver..

land at different place

Ssam, Bhand11683

Thanks. What you are saying makes total sense.

Basically, my contacts are in Toronto area, none in Vancouver.

I am interested in knowing whether anyone took a chance with trying to land at different place.

Re: land at different place

I had the same situation. I moved from east to west coast and landed at Vancouver.

ssam said:
I had the same situation. I moved from east to west coast and landed at Vancouver.

What address did you give when you landed in Vancouver -- that of Vancouver or Toronto/East coast ?

Today my friend recieved my card.

the officer at the POE told us we need to personnaly come and pick up the card. but they send it by mail ;)

in my application I mention vancouver as landing. but I landed at Ottawa.

the officer at the POE told us we need to personnaly come and pick up the card. but they send it by mail

-- Not always , Some of the people I know have been asked to personally come to pick up their PR card because their photos were not right etc. Some of them had to fly from Texas to Canada only for this involving a lot of money and vacation expense.

for maple_cartier,

1.I have taken lot of pains in applying for canada GC like medicals,proof of documents etc.,. So I thought I will have it now and decide later.
IF you have any big medical expenses, always you can go there, since medical expenses are taken care by the Government and not like private insurance company in US.

2.The other main advantage is if any of your relatives or brother/sisters like to come to Canada in skilled worker category, they will get an extra 5 bonus points based on my residency status. This will increase the chances for them to get canada PR soon. Also you can sponsor Canada PR for your parents or bro/sisters if you are PR of Canada.
Bases on these factors and also on the security issues/concerns here in US in the future,I thought I will have canada PR now and decide if after 3 years where to stay?

Yes.Canada PR will be hit after 3 years only and not right away. so we got 3 long years to decide and give up.
see after 3 years if you go to canada and live there for 2 years and come back to US(meantime visit US every 6 months) after 2 years, your canada PR and US GC are still valid and good. its upto your own choice to decide, but you can maintain both for some time atleast 3 years.

for lz,
thanks for the good information: I have more questions based on your advice.

What if you list something but in the future, you won't bring them in?
such like car. if I list it. but I rent car to land. are they going to enforce me to do all the safty check, re engineer the lights...

how detail my list need to be?

-----Thats fine. if you list something and you can't take it, let them know at that time and they will cancel that item from your list. they will update the information in their system and they will give us another updated copy.
just make sure your list include atleast 20 items. cover everything starting from kitchen items to clothes. also make sure you give the value for each items in canadian dollars.
make the list before and have 2 copeis in hand. one for you and the other for customs.
hope this helps.

1.I have taken lot of pains in applying for canada GC like medicals,proof of documents etc.,. So I thought I will have it now and decide later.
IF you have any big medical expenses, always you can go there, since medical expenses are taken care by the Government and not like private insurance company in US.

-- Not until you have provincial medical care and that only comes when you are a resident of canada and have ties and are taxable on your world income. Provincial Medical care does not include Dental and vision.

2.The other main advantage is if any of your relatives or brother/sisters like to come to Canada in skilled worker category, they will get an extra 5 bonus points based on my residency status. This will increase the chances for them to get canada PR soon. Also you can sponsor Canada PR for your parents or bro/sisters if you are PR of Canada.

-- Only when you have lived and earned there and have tax proof of being there and are willing to write a sponsorship for 10 years for supporting them.

Bases on these factors and also on the security issues/concerns here in US in the future,I thought I will have canada PR now and decide if after 3 years where to stay?

-- Your understanding of these rules is correct but it is not as easy as you make it look here to maintain residency in Canada and sponsor people.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for your reply bhand11683. I know the facts that you mentioned.
1.you can get the provincial medical care even if you are staying outside Canada.one of my friend after reaching Canada, showed proof of his residence and got the ontario medical card after 3 months. now he is not living there. but I agree that it may difficult to maintain the medical card as active if you are staying outside Canada for long time. but I heard if its less than 1 year, its not going to be a problem.

2.Sponsoring a family member is difficult, when you are outside Canada. thats true since you have to show them proof of residence and income.
but if any relative want to come to Canada in skilled category, they will get that extra 5 points even though you are not physically present in Canada. so they will definitely get benefited of this.

Not sure if you try to bring parents as Visitors to Canada, we have to show the proof of income?
Thanks

Got PR card in the mail

we got our PR cards in the mail.

Landed: 11/09/04 via peace bridge
Received cards: 12/10/04

Last edited by a moderator: