Jury duty?!

im50

Registered Users (C)
I have received Juror Questionnaire. I have been selected probably through DMV list. I am aware that I can not be on jury duty since I am not US citizen. But I have to fill up and return form back to them. They have many questions on this form.

1. Do I have to answer to all of these questions? What for they need my DOB or home and cell phone? Can I miss to fill this info?
2. Do I have to mail back a copy of both passport and green card, or I can mail only one proof? Is it OK to send just a copy of first two pages?
3. Is it OK to write with black marker across A-number or passport number, to protect my privacy?
4. I see that there is an option to fill this form on the web, too. Should I fill form on the web and also send form by mail?

I have received Juror Questionnaire. I have been selected probably through DMV list. I am aware that I can not be on jury duty since I am not US citizen. But I have to fill up and return form back to them. They have many questions on this form.

1. Do I have to answer to all of these questions? What for they need my DOB or home and cell phone? Can I miss to fill this info?
2. Do I have to mail back a copy of both passport and green card, or I can mail only one proof? Is it OK to send just a copy of first two pages?
3. Is it OK to write with black marker across A-number or passport number, to protect my privacy?
4. I see that there is an option to fill this form on the web, too. Should I fill form on the web and also send form by mail?

Write in bold letters across the questionnaire "NOT A US CITIZEN" and send it back. No need to provide any of your personnel information.

I agree with Bobsmyth. When I got a similar request some years ago there was (in the form they sent me) a checkbox to say that I was not a citizen. If your form doesn't have this or you don't find that info I think you can do what Bobsmyth says, write it clear and boldly that you are not a citizen, yet!

Write in bold letters across the questionnaire "NOT A US CITIZEN" and send it back. No need to provide any of your personnel information.

Well, here on form it says “If you’re not citizen of US (check yes or no) – if no - mail back a copy of your visa, passport, work authorization card, or alien registration”

Well, here on form it says “If you’re not citizen of US (check yes or no) – if no - mail back a copy of your visa, passport, work authorization card, or alien registration”

That's BS..they don't need to see that information as it's private. Just because they ask for it doesn't mean you have to provide it.

I think the answer is state or even county dependent. We've had to do the same, and I think I just had to phone up and tell them, or maybe post it back as a non-citizen. In our case we did not need to return copies of any documents.

My wife previously got the same type of request which asked for the SSN. We just sent it back without any private info with the words "not a us citizen" and never heard back from them again. I'm always very suspicious when a state or county government asks for your SSN , A# or passport information..they really don't need that as your statement of not being a citizen should be enough for them to take you off the list.

Yes, I guess the requirements change across time and space, i.e. back a few years ago when I had to do it for Santa Clara county I didn't have to submit copy of anything. If they ask you perhaps you'll have to oblige and send them a copy of your GC or passport. I guess that we have to pay for a few scofflaws that might tick the I am not a citizen when they actually are.

Although I would agree with Bobsmyth. Send it back saying you are not a citizen and if they really want proof they'll send you another letter or something.

Which city does this court belong to?

Do they say there is a penalty or repercussion if you fail to respond completely?

Which city does this court belong to?
Do they say there is a penalty or repercussion if you fail to respond completely?

"The law requires you to complete this questionnaire."

Beside this, there is no word about any penalty if I fail to fill out form completely. New York State.

You can also call them, I have done that when I wasn't a US citizen and just called the number and told them I'm not a USC. They thanked me and removed my name. End of story...

why do you even bother to reply? let them send you as many as they want and there is no proof that you have recieved until they sent you the letter with certified which you have to sign then reply to them.

i did, i use to trash all the jury duty letters until they send mee the letter with certified and then i answer to their letter.

again, it does not make any sense to provide your info and just tell write that, i dont feel comfortable to write my personal info and if you wish you can call me and my number is.......

I wouldn't recommend ignoring the notices in the hopes they will go away. In fact, some states may impose fines for not responding to jury notice questionnaires.
For New-York, you can try answering your jury duty notice questionnaire online at :

http://www.nyjuror.gov/qualify/

Personally, I've thrown out every juror questionnaire I've ever received. If the need ever arises, I can always present my GC and that'll be the end of it. If the state decides to impose a fine on me, let them prove that I received a juror questionnaire in the mail. Although, I have an acquaintance who returned his questionnaire with a copy of his GC, and he was still forced to attend a jury selection. He was told that NYS LPRs are no longer exempt from serving on a jury, although the legality of that statement is highly questionable.

reply by mail or email

Hi,

I would suggest send them a letter saying that you are not a US citizen hence not eligible. also you can send them an email.(you can find the email address from your state's website)

I had sent the email and got the reply from them saying I am not eliegible and no further action necessary from my side.

Hope this helps.

Both times I had gotten my summons and called them up, I don't think I need to give them any more info then just my name and Juror number. I never needed to send anything to them at all and I don't even know or think I had to give them my SSN either.

They can pretty much tell when you just say your juror number and then they have your SSN right there and they can check on your status I believe. Took me a total of 2 mins I think each time...

I have a related question.... A few years ago, my local county court
selected me for jury duty. I think they pullled my name out of the
DMV driver database or something. I returned the forms and indicated
that I was not a US citizen. Just to be sure, I called the court clerk
a week later to confirm that they had received it. The clerk assured
me that they did and I need not worry.

Did they(the courts or the DMV) place me
on a do-not-select-for-jury-duty list?

I'll hopefully become a US citizen in the next few months, which means
I'll become eligible for jury duty! (yay!) However... how do I notify
them that I'm now eligible and willing to serve, if required? :confused:

That's an interesting question. I might have read in the past that once you say you are a citizen they take you off the list for 2 or 3 years. This information might be bogus or dependent on a particular county. However, I have wondered myself if the act of registering to vote should trigger being included back into the juror pool. I would guess that registering to vote is as close as being a citizen and able to become a juror as it gets, as the DMV database is full of non-citizens and other lists too. I think the only list where there is some certainty of citizenship is the voters list. However, a few years ago I sent a letter back saying I was not a citizen and I have never got another letter back, even now that I have been a citizen for around 8 months. I don't think we need to call anyone as I said I think your non-citizen letter will expire after a while, and it is possible that the voters registration list might supersede whatever non-citizen information they might have. I know a lot of naturalized citizens who get jury duty and I am pretty sure they never called to let them know they are citizens now.

Ironically enough, when I got home from work yesterday, guess what was sitting in my mailbox? I'll give you guys a hint: it wasn't an IL!