June CP - Chennai Experiences

Re: Kumar_Sam

Originally posted by snm65
Hi Kumar_Sam,

Please look at my posting above - I would like to know what questions you were specifically asked about you B1 and the answers that convinced the officer. Would appreciate if you could share you experience - thanks in advance.

I had interview on 06/29 and was asked questions on B1....

question>i see you went to us on b1. Why did you go to US on B1. how long you where there? where did you go to?
reply> I went there to understand an application by having meetings with the users. we were offshoring the application.
i was there from xx to yy and went to zz.

question>i see that you went to us on b1 and came back and left soon (in 5 months)?did you go to search for a job there or searched for a job because you went on b1 and then came back and left soon months with a h1?
reply>no i went only for meetings there and did not do any job search. i already had job offer when i went to us on b1 and my h1 was under process before i landed in US.

question> what was your client name?
reply> my US client name.

question> whom where you working for at that time?
reply> my indian co. name

question> what has been your total stay in us? client? company?
reply> h1 + b1 duration. ff and gg.

my advice be clear, confident and calm while replying to these questions. keep relevant docs handy. since we are not doing anything wrong so no need to be tense. Hope this helps!

ALL the BEST! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
snm65:

Consular officer Questions were same as post by aronline. My response was :

During B1 visit, I have attended Knowledge transfer sessions, Training and meetings with Business partners of XXX application of YYYY client.. This didn't convince cosular officer because my stay was for 6 months and immediately returned back to same client after 3 weeks.

I don't think , it will be a problm if there is time gap between two visits and you are working with the same comapny during both visits...Good luck

Thanks,
Priya.

Re: Kumar_Sam

Ooops ! I am sorry - I forgot to ask you this question - was the B1 and H1 sponsored by the same company??.

Hi Snm65,
In my case I came to U.S twice on B1 before I come on H1. I am with the same company during my B1 visit as well as during my H1 Visit.

For me, he did not asked any questions regarding my B1 visit. He just mistaken by seeing my B1 visa and thought that I was on H1 before.
I told him that I went on B1 initially and later I went on H1. Also told him that I have only one H1.
Later he looked into my B1 visa again and said " O.K.. You intially went on B1. and later on H1. That's how it works.. (laugh :D )". I too smiled and he did not asked any further questions regarding B1.
Hope it helps.

Don't worry about this B1. Just be prepared to tell about the purpose of your visit on B1. (in case if he asks).

All the best.

PS: If you have a copy of invitation letter related to your B1 visa, take it with you.

Regds,
Sam.

Ooops ! I am sorry - I forgot to ask you this question - was the B1 and H1 sponsored by the same company??.

For me it was different employers. I stayed in US for 4 months on b1. came back to india for 5 months and then again went back on h1 from different company.

CP interview experience

CP got done and smooth POE.

Questions:
q. Who is calling you?
a. employer name.

q. pay and designation
a. xx k per annum and designation.

q. how long you have been working for them?
a. so and so years

q. what are you working on?
a. blah blah

q. before the current employment where did you work
a. previous employer name

q. did you lost your job with them?
a. nope, I resigned

q. can you give me corresponding H1 papers
a. I gave all my H1 papers, he went through them and verified dates between passport stamps and H1 papers to make sure I was in legal status all the time.

q. can you give us W-2's of all your stay in US?
a. gave all six years w-2's, he looked at them and that's it. No questions asked, closed file and turned to my wife.

q. when did you got married
a. so and so date

q. when did you went to US?
a. so and so month and year

q. have any kids
a. no

As simple as that, he told us he is grating the PR.

POE:
smooth POE, no questions asked other than employer name and designation. Waiting for the welcome letters and PC's + New ssn's.

Thanks,
:)

Kpriya123 & Sam

Thanks to both of you for you reply - I just need your opinion based on you experience

I got a B1 based on an invitation by the US company to arrange for their collaboration with the Indian outfit. My basic qualification is CA and I was practicing in India at that time. After my return to India from the US, the US company offered me a job (though nothing in writing and I can get it documented if needed). They applied as for H1 for me as a Business System Analyst based on my functional background and trained me in a ERP package. When I applied for the visa my case was held back under 221(g) for 10 months and then after verifiying all the documents presented my visa was stamped. All documents produced for H1 application, visa stamping and Labour are all genuine and verifiable (which was already established in the 221(g) process) Under these circumstance, what risk do you think I will be running??::cool:

snm65

I am not aware about 221(g) , u have mentioned in the post. Since your visa was approved after INS verification , the risk should be minimal if there is any..

I am going with my case as reference...

Priya

POE at LAX and Chicago

LAX
No questions asked. took 20 minutes and its done.

Chicago POE - my wife
took more time.. but no questions.Though we had requested SSN as part of the ds230 partii, Officer at POE asked to apply for ssn at local office.

POE

Successful POE at Chicago for self and wife. No questions asked.
Questions>
1. My SSN card is having the words "allowed to work with INS authorization" does it mean I need a new SSN?

2. For my wife shall I now go and apply for a new SSN or wait for SSN to come thru the application I made in the consulate?
Thanks to all!

Re: POE

Originally posted by aronline
Successful POE at Chicago for self and wife. No questions asked.
Questions>
1. My SSN card is having the words "allowed to work with INS authorization" does it mean I need a new SSN?

{There were two questions in DS 230 about the SS Card.
The first one asks whether you need a new SS card and the
second asks whether the BCIS can disclose your information
to SS Authority. If you have said 'YES' to both( which is normal)
then you will get a new SS card but without that sentence. The
number remains the same)

2. For my wife shall I now go and apply for a new SSN or wait for SSN to come thru the application I made in the consulate?

{Same as above, but if she never had a card before she will get
a new card}
Thanks to all!

{my responses}

CP Interview Problems

Cp Gurus,

I have some problems with CP option.

1) My salary was xx K at the time of joining the company. Now, it is reduced by x%. i.e. the salary is yy = (xx - x% of xx). But in LC, it was mentioned more than xx.

2) My wife is in out of status for a period of 4 months.

Does these two issues will cause any problem. Please help me.

Thanks in advance,
kpallekonda

According to my understanding ....

GC is for future employment,and as long as you can show an offer letter at the time of interview with salary = LC specified salary you should be fine.

Regd your wife's case ,I think as long as the period is less than 180 days it should be OK.

This is just my opinion. Pls check with an attorney.

CP Interview Problems

chennaicpseeker,

Do I have to get the new offer letter from my company at the time of CP Interview ? What if they dont give a new offer letter? Is this only for CP or even if I go to AOS, do I need to submit an offer letter with salary = LC salary? If the offer letter is only for CP my company will not encourage going for CP option. They will ask to go for AOS. Please show me a way...

Thanks,
kpallekonda

Re: CP Interview Problems

Originally posted by kpallekonda
chennaicpseeker,

Do I have to get the new offer letter from my company at the time of CP Interview ? What if they dont give a new offer letter? Is this only for CP or even if I go to AOS, do I need to submit an offer letter with salary = LC salary? If the offer letter is only for CP my company will not encourage going for CP option. They will ask to go for AOS. Please show me a way...

Thanks,
kpallekonda

What you need to produce at the time of cp interview is an
Employment Verification Letter , which should basically confirm that the conditions laid down in the LC will be met upon you
getting the Immigrant visa.

Look in the forum and you would find several samples of these
letters. It basically confirms that,

*The position mentioned in LC is still open for you.
*That the position is going to be a permanent one.
*That the salary mentioned in the LC will be paid.

and is addressed to the US Consulate. You need to produce this
letter even for AOS.

Raju

Last edited by a moderator:
Medicals

Hi,

My interview date is 28th August.

Is it okay to complete the medicals in lister lab and the doctor appointment on August 25th ?????

I remember reading somewhere that the medicals should be done at least 3 days before the interview date.. Is it true ?

Is lister lab and Dr. Vijayalakshmi clinic open on saturdays ???

Please advice so that I can plan my travel...

Thanks,
Lux

Thanks to all ..

.. and congrats to successful June CP'ers.

Got the medicals done by Dr. Rajkumar. Quite an amiable guy. Had to wait for a couple of hours beyond my appointment time though - there was this family of 10-12 people ahead of me all getting their medicals done one after the other!

I had my interview on June 26th. Went quite smoothly. Just had to produce a copy of my I129's to account for some discontinuities in the H1 stamps in my passport. The officer then asked some basic questions -

Q1- what would you be doing once you return to the US?
A1- Continue with my job at XXXX

Q2 - What is the nature of your job?
A2 - XXXX

Q3 - How much do you make?
A3 - $XXXX

As he was asking these questions he was browsing the bank statements, employment letter, '02 tax return etc., and then put on a smile in his face and turned towards topics like the weather in the bay area, how much he'd like to visit madurai (my hometown), how he'd been surviving in chennai for the past 11 months etc.

The long and short of it all: if you've a straightforward case - i.e. always in-status - then CP is the way to go. Also at the interview make sure that you've all the documents precisely sorted out (check earlier postings) to avoid any anxious moments.

POE at LA on July 12th. Again no hassles whatsoever - got finger-printed and given the welcome letter along with the passport stamp in about 15 minutes.

Good look to all future CP aspirants.

TAX RETURNS.

Is it a requirement to submit tax returns, for previous years for CP ?. OR Is it optional?.

Please help.
Thank you!.

Re: TAX RETURNS.

Originally posted by imihelp
Is it a requirement to submit tax returns, for previous years for CP ?. OR Is it optional?.

It is a part of the set of documents they collect from you before the interview. In my case they specifically asked for 2002 returns.

Please help.
Thank you!.

Re: TAX RETURNS.

Originally posted by imihelp

Please help.
Thank you!.

They want to make sure that you were infact gainfully employed and been paying taxes. These fall under required documents.

Carry both W-2s and copies of tax filings.

Raju

Raju595 & others,

My interview date is 28th August.

Is it okay to complete the medicals in lister lab and the doctor appointment on August 25th ?????

I remember reading somewhere that the medicals should be done at least 3 days before the interview date.. Is it true ?

Is lister lab and Dr. Vijayalakshmi clinic open on saturdays ???

Please advice ...

Thanks,
Lux