07/09/10: delivered
07/20/10: Checks Cashed
07/24/10: NOA
07/26/10: FP notice received
07/29/10: FP walk in done
08/06/10: FP scheduled
08/24/10: IL received
10/13/10: ID

case has been transferred to a local office. email and SMS. 35 days after FP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done my FP since 07/30/2010 and yet top receive a YL/IL. Any ideas why the delay and what I can do to get specific status updates besides the generic ones online?

I just received the yellow letter in the mail asking me to bring state issued ID, tax returns and transcripts, documents to show residency, and arrest dispositions. I assume the interview letter should be dispatched not long from now, right? Any general stats on duration between YL and IL?

6pack

Wow do you have a Crystal Ball hiding somewhere , Good i hope you get the date your are hoping for.
One suggestion could you please create a signature so we can see your time line.

You may think this is bunch of bull but to my surprise i received an IL last Friday scheduled for Oct 25th...which is my original prediction!!!!.. I guess this website it self is a Crystal Ball...lol. I see your interview coming up soon..good luck..i will add my timeline in the sig
Cheers

Interview scheduled today was breeze for both of us. No slots available for this Thursday's (9/23) Oath ceremony. Officer mentioned it will be in October and USCIS will mail the notice date.

Completed Interview

Folks,
I had my interview at Norfolk at 8:00am today. The office opens to people at 7:45 and we were let in about 10 min to 8 or so. At a couple of min past 8, I was called in by a lady officer. She was professional and courteous. She started with the oath to say the truth, asked for my current PP, GC and drivers license, reading, writing and civics questions (got the first 6 right), went over some random questions on my application and asked me if I had any update. I had an update to my employment which she wrote in pen on her copy of my appln and then said, I had passed the interview. She asked me to check my details on a sheet of paper & sign it (she mentioned if my naturalization certificate had incorrect details, it would be $300 to replace it!) and gave me the notice I had passed :). After that, she asked me to sign two of my pictures along the white portion (basically bottom to top) with a sharpie and asked me to collect my stuff while she went and grabbed me the oath notice from a different room. She said my oath would be on 10/13 in a place near Richmond and asked me to bring my GC and the oath letter. When I asked her if there was a chance I could get the oath done at the office today, she said they could do it there only if I were on active military duty. Just before 8:20, I was already driving out of the office and calling my family to give them the news. Overall, good experience.. Now just waiting for oath and subsequent steps related to US PP, OCI etc..
Thanks for everyone's support here and good luck to everyone thats waiting for their process to be completed!

Folks,
I had my interview at Norfolk at 8:00am today. The office opens to people at 7:45 and we were let in about 10 min to 8 or so. At a couple of min past 8, I was called in by a lady officer. She was professional and courteous. She started with the oath to say the truth, asked for my current PP, GC and drivers license, reading, writing and civics questions (got the first 6 right), went over some random questions on my application and asked me if I had any update. I had an update to my employment which she wrote in pen on her copy of my appln and then said, I had passed the interview. She asked me to check my details on a sheet of paper & sign it (she mentioned if my naturalization certificate had incorrect details, it would be $300 to replace it!) and gave me the notice I had passed :). After that, she asked me to sign two of my pictures along the white portion (basically bottom to top) with a sharpie and asked me to collect my stuff while she went and grabbed me the oath notice from a different room. She said my oath would be on 10/13 in a place near Richmond and asked me to bring my GC and the oath letter. When I asked her if there was a chance I could get the oath done at the office today, she said they could do it there only if I were on active military duty. Just before 8:20, I was already driving out of the office and calling my family to give them the news. Overall, good experience.. Now just waiting for oath and subsequent steps related to US PP, OCI etc..
Thanks for everyone's support here and good luck to everyone thats waiting for their process to be completed!

So do you mean the place was relatively empty or without many applicants inline?

Folks,

You should told the IO, I am going to join the military as soon as I am sworn as a US citizen...lol!!!

2 dilbert30:

What pictures did you sign at the interview? The ones you send with N-400 or you brought extra with you?

2 dilbert30:

What pictures did you sign at the interview? The ones you send with N-400 or you brought extra with you?

The ones I sent with the application. She had my entire appln pkt including the photos in a small cover I had sent it in! She asked me for my passport, gc and drivers license. That's it. Infact she asked me to put my folder aside so we didn't get things mixd up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today marks the exact third anniversary of my being an LPR based on the date on my GC and I received a yellow letter on 9/20/2010. So I guess I should be gearing up for an interview and better shortly.

Just be excited to receive anything from USCIS, it means someone is looking at your case. I assume you live in DC as opposed to VA? If you are lucky enough and schedule for interview, oath could be early 2011, slow moving DO in Fairfax, VA.

That is exactly how I see it especially having applied in mid July and this is just the end of September; just two and half months. I am assuming I will receive an interview letter within a month of the yellow letter according to general trends which means on or before 10/20/2010. So are you saying the DO in Fairfax is that slow that oath may be next year assuming my interview is as predicted? I know that the ASC and assuming the DO here handles both DC and Northern VA so I would expect them to have a good amount of workload even now that there are not as much applications in general.

That is exactly how I see it especially having applied in mid July and this is just the end of September; just two and half months. I am assuming I will receive an interview letter within a month of the yellow letter according to general trends which means on or before 10/20/2010. So are you saying the DO in Fairfax is that slow that oath may be next year assuming my interview is as predicted? I know that the ASC and assuming the DO here handles both DC and Northern VA so I would expect them to have a good amount of workload even now that there are not as much applications in general.

The issue for you is that once approved, when are you going to be sworn in? The swearing-in is conducted in the District Court and the wait is a killer. I know someone who waited since June approval and was only sworn-in in November after I helped her threaten a lawsuit during an info pass. I had prepared the documentation and took it to Fairfax, VA and miraculously, she was scheduled for for Nov of that year. Hope yours is quicker.

I am really looking forward to a great holiday gift no later than this year. So don't they do same day swear-ins after right after interviews to get the line off the District Courts?

I am really looking forward to a great holiday gift no later than this year. So don't they do same day swear-ins after right after interviews to get the line off the District Courts?

As far as I know, for DC resident, they can't be sworn-in in VA. I have heard that the only exception is if they need their naturalization certificate for US govt orders or so. For example, if you are in the military but live in DC, you can be sworn-in in VA, provided there is an express need for your citizenship. For example, you need to undergo security clearance to have access to classified information for military purposes. It is possible other extenuating circumstance could bring about same day swearing-in.

You will have to wait in line to be sworn-in in DC. Hope that the presiding Judge is Judge Ricardo Urbina, a cool legal mind and a son of South American immigrants himself...

Interesting. One would expect that they would try to unclog District Courts by holding such swearing-ins in a special area outside of the courts or at least do it in such huge batches to clear the swear-in line. I sure hope I won't have to wait beyond this year.