July 2011 Filers

anyone also noticing the following error when they update their signature
"Your signature cannot be longer than 500 characters excluding BB code markup."

I am just trying to update my signature with my ead card approval.

Yep, you need to make your sig more concise (I am not a man of few words so that was difficult for me, but since I succeeded I am sure everyone else can :p)

EAD card and travel document approved on september 22, 2011.Case updated online to Card/document production

We just got back from the interview and we have been approved!!!! It was a lengthy process and the IO asked questions aplenty. I will write up a more detailed version soon. One part of our journey has ended now to wait for the one in two years. :cool:

Congrats man! Never had any doubt. Will wait for your detailed write up. Enjoy the feeling!

We just got back from the interview and we have been approved!!!! It was a lengthy process and the IO asked questions aplenty. I will write up a more detailed version soon. One part of our journey has ended now to wait for the one in two years. :cool:

Qsfqpy

Congratulations! Please write the interview experience in detail if possible.

Thanks

Congratulations! Please write the interview experience in detail if possible.

Thanks

Here you go:
Our interview was at 9:30am. We got to the USCIS center at 9AM and went inside. The facility is two stories, the guard looked at our I797 and told us to go upstairs after going through the regular security check. There is a desk that you see as soon as you go up. I handed the lady at the desk our I797 and she told us to be seated. The waiting room was quite large. There were a lot of couples there and a few had brought their kids in. Saw a few families with attorneys and they were getting coached by them. People started getting called and we were looking at the IO’s and seeing who is the most cheerful and there were a few that didn’t smile. I was telling my wife, I hope we don’t get that IO. Time came and passed at 930AM. We started getting worried at 10am and I went to the lady at the desk to ask her when we will be going in. She just gave me a look (like she didn’t want to be bothered and said, your time will come). So I walked back and looked at all the people and we felt underdressed for the occasion. Some had put on their Sunday best. We kept looking at the couples going in and seeing which ones were coming back out happy and smiling or not happy and smiling. Most of them were happy and smiling. This one couple looked really gloomy and they had their attorney with them. They came out and waited a while and then went back in and the second time they came out the couple were smiling.

So 1030AM I am not happy at all and getting rather tensed. At 10:45AM an elderly gentleman called our name and we went in. His office was at the end of the hallway and lots of walking. On the way I saw a lot of IO’s sitting in their offices not doing a thing or maybe they were looked like they weren’t doing a thing. We got to his office and he swore us in before getting seated. He asked for my original Certificate of naturalization and drivers license, and from her, her passport and drivers license. He took out the i94 immediately out of her passport. I thought that was a good sign. My certificate had a copy of my original picture attached and he asked why I had that stapled. I told him that this was done in Indiana and I didn’t touch it. So he proceeded to take the picture out and told me not to put anything on it.

He then asked for any other evidence showing joint stuff so we showed him the insurance and bank statements. He asked her if she is in my health insurance and I said no since she is still considered an F1 student she has to carry insurance through school and since she doesn’t have a SSN yet I cant carry her on my insurance. He was satisfied with that answer.

Then he started in with the questions, first from me, asked my address, my phone number, where did I go to school at, when is her birthday, how we met, if our marriage was arranged or did we arrange it ourselves, did my parents come to the wedding. What is our wedding date and I fumbled. We had a civil marriage first in the Courthouse and then a religious one ten days later. I told him the second date and my wife corrected me. He just smiled and told my wife that I owed her big time now messing that up. He was laughing as he said that so I knew he wasn’t serious. He asked me her birthday, where she lived before, I told her on campus. He asked me what her degree is in and what her major in undergrad was. So I told him all that. He was very impressed that she had her bachelors in Civil Engineering and now getting her MBA.

Then he started asking her the same questions. He asked her my name, her address, her cell number, my birthday, who was at the wedding? Were her siblings present? He looked at her birth certificate. When was the last time she entered US?

He asked her if she had ever been arrested, was this her first time applying for the green card. He put a red line on the questions and asked her to initialize it. He then showed her the signature on the i485 and asked her if it was her signature or not. He then asked her for her EAD and we were baffled as we haven’t received it yet. He told us that the EAD was approved in August. That was news to us as we have been going to the USCIS site religiously to check status and it never changed for the EAD card. He said that he will talk to us more about the EAD card later on.

He didnt ask for any of the financial details like my W2s or paycheck stubs since I was sponsoring her myself.

The IO was very pleasant to talk to. He was telling us all the places that he had lived in. We told him that we just got back from Portland and Seattle and he asked us if we went to all regular sightseeing places. At this point he was smiling a lot and just going through the file rather quickly. We told him that we had three albums of pictures and he wanted to see them. We have a big reception album and he was impressed with that. He liked the fact that it looked like a book. He asked us where we had it. I showed him all that attended. Then we showed him another album of our wedding with all the family. Then the third album contained pictures of us where we have traveled.

After that he said that he is more than satisfied and he is going to approve the GC for her. He started putting something in his pc and said that the card should be in our hands in 2-3 weeks. I asked him where was the card being issued from and he said we are lucky that the card is coming from Mesquite, a suburb of sorts of Dallas. So we should have it in our hands in no time. Then he told us that the EAD was approved and we should get it soon. She can apply for an SSN with that but it will have restrictions. So its better to wait for the GC to arrive in the mail which wont have any restrictions. He also printed out a page with her name on it and said, Congratulations on receiving Legal Permanent Residence Status! And it had her name on it and her new GC number. Then he told her to contact her International Foreign Student Advisor to take her out of Sevvis monitoring. He then said that she has to come back in 2 years to file i751 remove the condition on her GC and the form will be lot shorter but they will ask more evidence of joint ownership. And three years from today she can apply for her US Citizenship.

After that he said congratulations again and that I had to take her out to dinner and celebrate and enjoy the weekend. Overall it started off not so good but ended with a very happy note. Overall the process took about 40 minutes or so.

I hope I covered it enough and if you have any questions just ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good detailed write up. Thanks for providing details. I am sure this weekend is going to be a good one for you. You guys should live it up and tell the wife 2nd year of B-School is not that hard:cool:. With her green card the list of potential employers grows exponentially. I was on F-1 during B-School and probably half the firms that wanted to talk to me after seeing my resume, backed off upon finding I was neither a citizen nor had the green.
Incidentally I also have a Bachelors in Civil Engineering.

Here you go:
Our interview was at 9:30am. We got to the USCIS center at 9AM and went inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here you go:
Our interview was at 9:30am. .....

I hope I covered it enough and if you have any questions just ask.

That was amazing. Thank you so much for sharing. I am next in line. My interview with my USC wife is on Monday. Hope for the best.

We just got back from the interview and we have been approved!!!! It was a lengthy process and the IO asked questions aplenty. I will write up a more detailed version soon. One part of our journey has ended now to wait for the one in two years. :cool:[/ QUOTE]

Woo Hoo Congrats ;)

Congratulations Rok8man!!