Jan. Interview (??) - Chennai/NVC mail screw-up

Current Chennai response

WE have not received anything yet from the NVC. Your interview is not scheduled. Please call back in 4-6 weeks.

This takes us into Feb! WE are in a desperate situation now. No one else has posted anything since Fri. ANy more news?

As per NVC trace info

My papers were sent to sterling VA by Fed Ex on 10/15 and received by one J Baker on 10/17. I guess from there they should have been on their way to Chennai via diplomatic pouch. As per old news articles, the mailroom facility in sterling was affected by anthrax and one worker was tested positive of inhalation anthrax. Anyone has more info wheher this mailroom facility is reopened or not?

Read http://www.cnn.com/2001/HEALTH/conditions/10/25/anthrax.state.dept/index.html for more info

So we do not know if mails are stuck in state dept or USPS

acehart,
What about calling the state department customer service line and finding out more about this, atleast things like
1. Have the mails been decontaminated/ will they be decontaminated or junked?
2. What time frame are we looking at for their delivery.

Also we can call the sterling area post office and see if they are the ones doing the decontamination.

This is beyond our hands...

This is from Nov13 news from cbs website
State Department spokesman Richard Boucher told reporters that eight samples out of 55 that were collected from the agency\'s mail facility in Sterling, Va., tested positive for anthrax. He said two of the samples were obtained from two separate mail sorters and the six others from a third sorter.

Boucher said the results are important because they support the theory that a letter like the one sent to Tom Daschle has moved through the mail system.

"We are now proceeding to look at all the mail that we had held up, frozen, sealed off in mailrooms in this building, in annexes and around the world," he said.

b Boucher noted that the State Department closed its mail system Oct. 24 and notified posts around the world to seal and shut down pouch mail.

The last paragraph means that our mails are either in sterling, va or in chennai or somewhere else, God knows....

Did anyone else get the 4-6 weeks reply from Madras?

I am planning to call today. I will update the forum on the response.

Also, If the mail facilities at the State Dept. were closed for receiving mail on 10/24 (see previous posting), what happended to the mail that has NVC sent dates of 10/22? From this forum I have learnt that 10/22 sent means 10/29 actually sent. Why would NVC send papers to a contaminated mail facility that was closed? Maybe they sent it somewhere else or did not send at all. Hope we get some answers soon.

NVC track on file

My case was mailed out on 10/22 and signed for on 10/24 at 10:30am by T. Paoni. I have to call back to find out where it was sent to. They first said Madras, and then when I questioned that. They said Washington D.C. But now that someone mentioned Virginia, I have to check again. They also gave me a Fed Ex tracking #.

No Title

Guys, who have the tracking info from NVC. Please call FedEx and get the name and phone no of the person who received the packet, using the FedEx tracking no. FedEx guys may give us the person’s office phone no. We have to contact the person who received our packet from NVC. This will help us to know where our packet sent by NVC is laying.

PRB, NVC is not lying

I got the tracking number from NVC and FedEx confirmed that packet was delivered to SA32 in Sterling VA. (NVC folks were saying it was sent to DC, but actually it went to mailroom in sterling that was responsible for sending it to chennai using their so called \'diplomatic pouch\'). FedEx did have name of the person who received my packet (gentelman called J. Baker), but did not reveal any phone numbers. Talked to a personal contact in VA area and he said that SA32(mailroom in sterling VA) is closed from 10/24. It reopened on 11/11 in a different building and mail that was stuck in the old building is waiting to be decontaminted (decontamination process has just started and folks in the new building have received a few packets from the old building. However, this piece of information is not very reliable, so we have to talk to someone from SA32 to know what exactly is happening )

gcappl, I really like your idea to call customer service and find out what is the future of packets that are in old SA32. Will try to find some customer service numberthat can answer these questions. Guys, please post phone numbers that could lead us to SA32 or office that is responsible for decontamination of SA32

Tracking info from FedEx website

Reference Number XXX
Ship Date 10/16/2001
Delivered To
Delivery Location STERLING VA
Delivery Date/Time 10/17/2001 10:26
Signed For By J.BAKER
Service Type Priority Overnight

Customer Service Contact Numbers for Mail facilities in Washington DC

CUSTOMER SERVICE NUMBERS
business customers: 301-324-5880
For all government mail customers: 301-548-1410

I also got FedEx# from NVC. Checked the tracking Info from Fedex.com. Received on 24th by Sterling.

Great Poet

e-mailed state dept

I e-mailed the state dept\'s US Visa section, asking them to help locate the delayed mail. Their reply was as follows:

Because of the recent Anthrax situation your case file is still in the pile of parcels to be irradiated by the State Department diplomatic mail facility in Sterling, Va.

ajbinu

Did they give any time frame, could you send them a follow-up e-mail and ask about a possible time-frame?

Called Madras and it is the same Story

They say that as of 12/26, the papers have not reached Madras. I asked if I can get an interview in February. Same answer: WE DON\'T KNOW. I asked them if they were working in getting the papers and she said yes. She asked me to call back in January.

Atlast...Positive Reply from Chennai Consulate!

Sep 13 2001, Thu - I-140 Received by INS
Oct 29 2001, Mon - I-140 Approved by INS

Nov 2 2001, Fri - INS Answering machine says I-140 was approved.
Nov 5 2001, Mon - NVC created the case# for CP
Nov 29 2001, Thu - Attorney Received Packet 3 from NVC.
Dec 7 2001, Fri - Mailed Packet 3 to Chennai Consulate.
Dec 27 2001, Thu - Got Email confirmation from Chennai consulate verbatim:

Appt is likely to be in March.

Customer Service Unit
American Consulate General
220, Anna Salai
Chennai 600006
Ph-91-44-8112060/2000

NVC Case#: MDR200180****
CP - Chennai, India.