Is my green card valid once the citizenship application is approved ?

some_guy03

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am planning to apply for my parents visitor visa (which expires in a month) on October. If I apply today, I will be a green card holder. My citizenship interview is slated for Sep 1st. I am wondering by the time my parents go for visa interview in India, my status could have changed (even if I did not apply for a US passport).

Is my green card valid even after US citizenship application is approved and we attend the oath ceremony ? If its not, my parents visa application would have an invalid information about the sponsor.

Any responses will be highly appreciated. I will decide when to apply for their visa depending on the responses I get.

thanks,
someguy_03

Once you become a US citizen you are no longer a LPR. Your status change to US citizen does not affect visa eligibility for your parents.

For some reason, applicant's from certain nations think that all visitors need to be sponsored from within the US. I am still trying to discover the root of this belief.

Well, that's what I thought. OP's statement seem to suggest otherwise.

For some reason, applicant's from certain nations think that all visitors need to be sponsored from within the US. I am still trying to discover the root of this belief.

They think so cuz parents in third world countries cannot afford to pay to come to the US unless they have someone who would sponsor them and that person is usually their kid who resides in the US.

I have to respectfully disagree. It is more than just belonging to the third world. When I was just a university student with no income, I only held Pakistani citizenship. I was able to acquire a US, Canadian and Schengen multiple entry visit visas without ever showing proof of income or any document from a friend or relative stating that he/she would take care of my finances. I also have uncles and aunts from Pakistan who visit my cousins here in the US and never has any cousin of mine sent his/her parents an I-134. I think it is more of a mental thing. "Routing by rumour" as they say in the world of TCP/IP. For some reason an I-134 has grown from "needed in some extreme cases" to "must have" in my opinion.

They think so cuz parents in third world countries cannot afford to pay to come to the US unless they have someone who would sponsor them and that person is usually their kid who resides in the US.

If parents's children become citizens do you think parrents have higehr chance of tourist visa to be denied due to intent to immigrate because
children can petition for their green card now?

But whatever I think when parents fiulled teh visa application form,
they only need to put down their immediate relatives visa status
at that moment. If you take oath tomorrow and your parents apply for visa today and put you down as immiediate relative in USA with PR status,
there is nothing wrong with that

Well, the assumption that a sponsor may be necessary or will increase the chances of approval may stem from the fact that for many visa applications, such a sponsor is necessary, be it a hotel or tour agency, or a friend or relative. Getting Dutch visas for me, for example, has always been a hassle, as they require the sponsor in the Netherlands to go to the municipality, and apply for an official invitation. So, since I have never applied for a US visa personally, I wouldn't have known that a US B2 visa didn't require a sponsor had I not read about it on this forum.

Visa application still valid when I change from PR->citizen

Hi Bobsmyth,

Thanks for your response. So, I apply as a PR with GC status for parents visa. When my parents (in India) go for interview in consulate around Oct, their visa application is still valid even though I have become a US citizen ? I am thinking more in terms of the fact that the visa application will have a wrong visa status for the sponsor (me).

Like if the consulate asks them what is the visa status of your son ? They may be saying he is a PR; in that case they are lying. If they say, if he is a US citizen now, they can say the visa application form (D156 or something) is invalid.

Appreciate your response,
some_guy

Hi Bobsmyth,

Thanks for your response. So, I apply as a PR with GC status for parents visa. When my parents (in India) go for interview in consulate around Oct, their visa application is still valid even though I have become a US citizen ? I am thinking more in terms of the fact that the visa application will have a wrong visa status for the sponsor (me).

Like if the consulate asks them what is the visa status of your son ? They may be saying he is a PR; in that case they are lying. If they say, if he is a US citizen now, they can say the visa application form (D156 or something) is invalid.

Appreciate your response,
some_guy

You are not a sponsor on their visa application, but rather a contact.Your status does not affect their eligibility. During the visa interview your parents can update the IO on your status.

To bobysmith

Hi Bobsmyth,
This is a really interesting point you bring out. 10 yrs ago when I filled my parents Visa, they asked who will pay for the expenses of the trip. This is true even today. The question still exists on online D156 form -

Who will pay for your trip ?

Generally most of us reply that we will pay for the trip even if its true since the other way round, my parents have to show a lot more currency in Rs ;-)

So, if I pay for the trip, it does not make me a sponsor ?

Look at this URL -

http://www.immihelp.com/visas/ds156.html

If I say I am paying for this trip, it makes me a sponsor and I have to provide Affidavit of support I-134 and all other documents. This is the general procedure. So I am the sponsor whether I like it or not ;-)

I reallt appreciate you taking the time.

thanks,
someguy_03

Back to the original question.
You do not become US Citizen when your application is approved. You become a US Citizen when you take the oath. Untill after you take the oath, do not identify yourself as US Citizen on any paperwork.

Generally most of us reply that we will pay for the trip even if its true since the other way round, my parents have to show a lot more currency in Rs ;-)
Then let them show it if they have it. Their chances are improved if they can qualify with their own money in their own bank account. You can always reimburse them for the expenses if you want; what counts is that they are able to pay for their own trip.
So, if I pay for the trip, it does not make me a sponsor ?
"Sponsor" is not the technically correct word, but it makes you the provider of financial support, whatever is an appropriate word for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are not a sponsor on their visa application, but rather a contact.Your status does not affect their eligibility.
It sort of affects their chances of approval, because parents with a US citizen child are likely to stay in the US and attempt AOS, and consulates routinely deny tourist visas because of the suspicion that they will AOS.