Interview Preparation

Great, thanks. Just wanted to ask, because i have an upcoming interview in less than a week and i did not wish to miss any documents.

Mine may be diferrent as i am applying on 5 yr based.

Great, thanks. Just wanted to ask, because i have an upcoming interview in less than a week and i did not wish to miss any documents.

Mine may be diferrent as i am applying on 5 yr based.

Yours is less paper-intensive.
Just bring tax transcripts for the last 5 years, passport, green card and driver's license.

Sarrebal, I see no reason why not to make you a US citizen!!!!!! the worst is the waiting time........and it's over. You WILL BE fine. Congratulations in advance.

Sarrebal, I see no reason why not to make you a US citizen!!!!!! the worst is the waiting time........and it's over. You WILL BE fine. Congratulations in advance.

I'm not particularly superstitious, but after your congratulations in advance I perhaps should be... :D
Thanks though.

John great suggestion and thanks for starting this thread. I just came back today from fingerprinting. I hope mine goes as fast as your brother:)

Ken

I am very nervous .... Collected lot of documents ... still missing lot of them as per these forums .... Don't even remember my name now forgot about President's name ....

Good luck Sar. Let us know how it goes tomorrow. I'm applying based on 3yr marriage as well. So I'm very curious to know how it goes for you.

John great suggestion and thanks for starting this thread. I just came back today from fingerprinting. I hope mine goes as fast as your brother:)

Ken

Hey Ken,

Where is your DO? Can you also include your timeline?

Take care

Adawra and Sarrebel:

I wish you both and others like you the best tomorrow at your interview. Remember to make copies of all documents you are taking with you tomorrow while you carry the originals with you as well (including all the ones you sent with you initial application and all correspondences you received from USCIS and other concerned agencies from the time you sent your N-400 application). If your copier at home does clean copy feel free if not the few bucks you will spend at the kinko's will definitely worth the while.

From posts I have been reading on here, IO really appreciates decent organization of your paper work. What I plan doing is having all documents in two seprate folders. One for the originals and one for the copies. Try and remember the order in which you put those documents especially if you are filling marriage based like me. I think the more paper work you carry with you the more smoothly your intreview will go if you are well organized. Impressing your IO with your organization might go a long way - trust me.

Cheers!!! Dont forget to invite me to your party after your oath :) :) I like malt drinks :) :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Adawra and Sarrebel:

I wish you both and others like you the best tomorrow at your interview. Remember to make copies of all documents you are taking with you tomorrow while you carry the originals with you as well (including all the ones you sent with you initial application and all correspondences you received from USCIS and other concerned agencies from the time you sent your N-400 application). If your copier at home does clean copy feel free if not the few bucks you will spend at the kinko's will definitely worth the while.

From posts I have been reading on here, IO really appreciates decent organization of your paper work. What I plan doing is having all documents in two seprate folders. One for the originals and one for the copies. Try and remember the order in which you put those documents especially if you are filling marriage based like me. I think the more paper work you carry with you the more smoothly your intreview will go if you are well organized. Impressing your IO with your organization might go a long way - trust me.

Cheers!!! Dont forget to invite me to your party after your oath :) :) I like malt drinks :) :) :)

No copies for me. Other than original Govt documents, of which they already have copies of (submitted with the N-400 application and I-485 before), they can definitely keep the originals. They're going to feed a shredder after the interviews anyways... :D

hey Adawra,

How was your interview? Hope all went well? Sarreal interview was great from his posting.

- Tax docs: IRS tax return transcripts from 2006 to 2008 (all married filing jointly), in 2008 I owed Federal Tax and since transcripts don't show payments, I printed a canceled check from my bank (cashed on April 11, 2009 so definitely on time), copies of Federal and State returns.

Congrats Sar,

Yesterday when you wrote this, nobody would have imagined, the canceled check you are carring would prove so helpful. A fate of luck, you had it.

Interview preparation:
Went through book we got at finger printing several time.
Listened to audio cd several time
Printed flash cards from government website and they were very useful.
Got several books from library which gave us idea about what questions (beside civic, English test) to expect. They are useful.
Reviewed application several times
Prepared a file with all document and marked every document with yellow stick it note so that they are easy to find.
Discussed what document to provide for supporting certain things which may be asked in interview
It is not a bad idea to visit office, where you have to go from interview, before actual interview date, to get feeling of traffic, parking, and entrance etc-etc.
After so much of preparation I was very nervous, I was not afraid of failure but wait was killing and I was almost blank during interview or I should say on interview day until I was declared passed.
If you feel the same, it is normal and I am pretty sure if you do good preparation you will definitely succeed without any hick ups.

Congrats Sar,

Yesterday when you wrote this, nobody would have imagined, the canceled check you are carring would prove so helpful. A fate of luck, you had it.

Overall, I could say that my whole immigration journey was veeeeery lucky.
When I was holding non-immigrant visas (J1s, H1Bs) everything went always smooth (I also had a good lawyer).
Then I applied for my AOS when the once 2-yr long wait in NYC was eliminated (took 4 months to get a green card).
My only long wait (9 months) was for my removal of conditions (I-751), but I didn't mind that because it doesn't really give you any extra-benefit (I always traveled with the extension with no problem).
And now naturalization was the shortest journey of all (3 months and 17 days in NYC, which is pretty impressive)....again...luck in timing. Had I applied in 2007, this would have taken a year or even more...
And I get sworn in at a special ceremony on an aircraft carrier.
Well, couldn't ask for any better.

Adawra and Sarrebal,

It is pleasant that about 24 hours ago, we were talking about your preparation and few hours after that time, you both are US citizen. Please accept my congrats! The rest of us are right behind you, we will soon join the league and finally end the race personally as far as immigration is concerned. For me, it is not particularly the end of the road cos I will be applying for family (parent and siblings) eventually when I am ready. In fact, I would love to file for a family as soon as I am done.

Thanks guys for sharing your experience and good news with us.

Chairs :):p:p ooops I mean Cheers!!! :D:D:D

Last edited by a moderator: