Interview Preparation

johntlc

Registered Users (C)
Hey guys,

I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where those who are going for interview can all share their experiences regardless of their DO. This will afford those who are preparing for interview the opportunity of others' experiences to draw lessons thus, become better prepared.

If you dont mind, if you have already done your interview, share with us. We want to learn from your experience.

For those of you preparing like me, if you dont already know, you can test yourself online using this USCIS self test tool @ http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=9ff98424f8304110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD out of the 100 questions for civic test, this online self test does not cover four because the answers will vary by location. They are: 1. Your US Representative(s) 2. Your US Senator(s) 3. Your State Governor and 4. Your State Capital.

Wish you all the very best.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...004718190aRCRD
but it is a multiple choice, but useful, of course.

Are you guys nervous? I am very nervous! What about? What if I will not make a good connection with IO, or what if I am late because of some traffic accident, or what if I would not find where is this parking everybody is talking about, or what if I say "Yes" instead of "No" or what if my oath letter is going to be lost or what if I forget everything I know?

I know, this is crazy, but what can I do?

Any suggestions?

The interview is very simple. Be nice to qistions they ask. Be prepared based on your case. No need to worry. Go thorugh the N-400 one more time will help you better..

Breath deeply! Practice deep breathing and focusing on the breath , that will calm your mind.
I went late by 1.5 hrs and explained to IO that I was late because of traffice and I threw up in the car. The IO was very understaning. So no worries
Breath and relax. if you fail you can always retry. I failed several times in my life, but that is how life is. If you persist you will most likely succeed
Good luck.

Hi John,

I understand your anxity.
I gave the 100 questions to my kid and asked him to randomly ask me questions whenever he has time.

Whenever I am in doubt (e.g. how many amendments have been done). I go to wikipedia e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_amendments_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Instead of memorizing a number like 27, now I know more details about them and know for sure that 27 can stick on my mind. Before wiki I would get confused between 27, 23 etc.

The info also helped explain why the first 10 have been clubbed together as Bill of Right. They were proposed on same day 10/25/1789 and became law on same day 12/15/1791. Most of them related to rights.

I am sure it is going to be a cake walk for you on 19th. Will wait for your updates.

Breath deeply! Practice deep breathing and focusing on the breath , that will calm your mind.

Good luck.
Great suggestion! Also thank you for sharing your "interview travel" story!
I like it so much that we help each other!

We already have a similar forum US Citizenship - People's Experience (second from top, under sub-forum)

Thanks for your contribution usnycus, but reading a few of the posts from this thread compared to the other thread, there are information being passed on here (pre-interview preparation) that is not on the other thread per se. The goal here is to have people share what they are doing to prepapare for their interview and the actual interview experience.

oh woow, Congrats Mara777.

Thanks for the inputs and apparently it looks like the interview process is a mere formality. Is that so ?

oh woow, Congrats Mara777.

Thanks for the inputs and apparently it looks like the interview process is a mere formality. Is that so ?

In a sense it is! But , in my personal opinion, the IO who has to go through the same stuff every day, would prefer to see a "lively" person, but yet very serious, rather than somebody who is "frozen" because of the stress.

GOOD LUCK!

Hi John,

I understand your anxity.
I gave the 100 questions to my kid and asked him to randomly ask me questions whenever he has time.

Whenever I am in doubt (e.g. how many amendments have been done). I go to wikipedia e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_amendments_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Instead of memorizing a number like 27, now I know more details about them and know for sure that 27 can stick on my mind. Before wiki I would get confused between 27, 23 etc.

The info also helped explain why the first 10 have been clubbed together as Bill of Right. They were proposed on same day 10/25/1789 and became law on same day 12/15/1791. Most of them related to rights.

I am sure it is going to be a cake walk for you on 19th. Will wait for your updates.

Thanks so much, I am sure others in my shoes will appreciate your contribution. It just that sometimes the nerves just get out of wack but I am sure I will be fine!! :D:D

My interview is tomorrow morning and I just went to the DMV (one minute in and out of a Manhattan DMV, something must be wrong! :D ) to get a driver's record, which shows one violation in February 2008 with a $50 fine and DL status valid (so it means that fine has been paid).
Just in case the I/O specifically asks about traffic tickets so I'll show him/her I paid the fine (didn't disclose them on the N400).
Yesterday I put together all my paperwork, four office folders that fit in my briefcase so I'll just bring it to work with me and take it when I step out to go the interview.

- Original docs: my old passport (not expired but I had to get a new one because it was full), my current passport, my wife's US passport with her married name on and several stamps that match the ones in my passport (killing two birds with one stone here), my wife's current DL, my wife's old DL with maiden name and same address as today, my birth certificate with translation (the very same one of which I submitted copies of with my I-485 over 3 years ago), my wife's original certificate of naturalization, our marriage certificate

- Tax docs: IRS tax return transcripts from 2006 to 2008 (all married filing jointly), in 2008 I owed Federal Tax and since transcripts don't show payments, I printed a canceled check from my bank (cashed on April 11, 2009 so definitely on time), copies of Federal and State returns.

- Joint docs: tens of bank statements (joint account) from 2006 to date, tens of Amex statements (my wife has a card under my account and *sigh* a lot of activity), tens of Con Ed bills (electricity) with both our names on, joint leases of our apartment from 2005 (before we were married) to 2009 (I miss 2007, I must have lost it), from my previous job docs showing my wife as sole beneficiary of my 401k and my life insurance policy, 10 random pictures from our most recent vacations this year (they have pictures of our vacations till 2008 in the I-751 file).

In my wallet: my Driver's license, my current 10-yr green card.

I think I'm all set. Tonight I'll read the booklet they gave at fingerprinting, questions are easy anyways.
Wish me luck. I have an extensive travel schedule from T-giving to February so I hope they'll give me a oath letter right away.

My interview is tomorrow morning and I just went to the DMV (one minute in and out of a Manhattan DMV, something must be wrong! :D ) to get a driver's record, which shows one violation in February 2008 with a $50 fine and DL status valid (so it means that fine has been paid).
Just in case the I/O specifically asks about traffic tickets so I'll show him/her I paid the fine (didn't disclose them on the N400).
Yesterday I put together all my paperwork, four office folders that fit in my briefcase so I'll just bring it to work with me and take it when I step out to go the interview.

- Original docs: my old passport (not expired but I had to get a new one because it was full), my current passport, my wife's US passport with her married name on and several stamps that match the ones in my passport (killing two birds in one stone here), my wife's current DL, my wife's old DL with maiden name and same address as today, my birth certificate with translation (the very same one of which I submitted copies of with my I-485 over 3 years ago), my wife's original certificate of naturalization, our marriage certificate

- Tax docs: IRS tax return transcripts from 2006 to 2008 (all married filing jointly), in 2008 I owed Federal Tax and since transcripts don't show payments, I printed a canceled check from my bank (cashed on April 11, 2009 so definitely on time), copies of Federal and State returns.

- Joint docs: tens of bank statements (joint account) from 2006 to date, tens of Amex statements (my wife has a card under my account and *sigh* a lot of activity), tens of Con Ed bills (electricity) with both our names on, joint leases of our apartment from 2005 (before we were married) to 2009 (I miss 2007, I must have lost it), from my previous job docs showing my wife as sole beneficiary of my 401k and my life insurance policy, 10 random pictures from our most recent vacations this year (they have pictures of our vacations till 2008 in the I-751 file).

In my wallet: my Driver's license, my current 10-yr green card.

I think I'm all set. Tonight I'll read the booklet they gave at fingerprinting, questions are easy anyways.
Wish me luck. I have an extensive travel schedule from T-giving to February so I hope they'll give me a oath letter right away.

Sar,

I wish you luck... :cool: You have one piece of information which is missing...:) a birth certificate of children born to both of you to ameliorate fraud suspicions.....:D I need to also remind you that briefcases are so 1980...:p

Sar,

I wish you luck... :cool: You have one piece of information which is missing...:) a birth certificate of children born to both of you to ameliorate fraud suspicions.....:D I need to also remind you that briefcases are so 1980...:p

It's not really a briefcase. It's a cool italian manbag from the company I work for... :D

As for birth certificates, my wife is 27 (and I'm just 33) so there's plenty of time to work on that... :D