India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
PIO1 said:
The U-Visa has similar data, it also expires one day before your 100th according to the machine readable data.

Well I have a couple more years to go ... but thought it was interesting.

They have said the visa is lifelong ......so if you live to be a 100 they would have to issue you a new OCI gratis :D :D :D
My guess is the machine readers do not have a setting for unlimited validity....and probably without an expiration date the machine would declare the visa invalid.The date must be there to conform to the internationally agreed format.

Cgisf

Here is the auto reply that I received from CGISF a moment ago -

Subject: AUTOREPLY FROM OCI SECTION, CGISF.>>>>>>> [PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE]<<<<<<<<
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 15:07:55 -0800

Thank you for your interest in OCI scheme.

Please visit our website at www.cgisf.org/oc for detailed information on the scheme.

FOR OCI THE SYSTEM IS LIKE THIS

WE CANNOT PROVIDE INTERIM STATUS TO THOUSANDS OF APPLICANTS WHO HAVE APPLIED FOR OCI DOCUMENTS. IT IS NEITHER FEASIBLE OR NECESSARY. HENCE
1. IF THERE IS ANY INFO INCOMPLETE, WE WILL CALL YOU /MAIL YOU
2. OTHERWISE W E WILL PROCESS IT ON LINE UPLOADING IT TO DELHI
3. WHEN THE OCI CARDS ARE APPROVED AND PRINTED IN DELHI THEYWILL SEND THAT TO US IN BATCHES
4. WHEN WE RECEIVE IT WE WILL PUBLISH THE NAMES OF THE PERSONS WHOSE CARDS ARE READY IN OUR WEBSITE
5. ALL APPLICANTS ARE REQUESTED TO COOPERATE TO MAKE IT A SMOOTH OPERATION BY DESISTING FROM INTERIM STATUS ENQUIRIES AND CALLS.
6. ANY STATUS ENQUIRY WILL BE ACCEPTED ONLY AFTER 12 WEEKS OF SUBMISSION OF COMPLETE APPLICATION.

Sincerely,

OCI Team
Consulate General of India
San Francisco

krazie said:
I understand that "Granted" does not imply that the process is done with. It is nearly 8 weeks since my application was "Granted".

I just sent CGISF an email inquiring about my application. Has anybody here had luck talking to CGISF on the phone? If so, is there a particular person I should ask for at a particular time of day?

Thanks.

krazie said:
I understand that "Granted" does not imply that the process is done with. It is nearly 8 weeks since my application was "Granted".

I just sent CGISF an email inquiring about my application. Has anybody here had luck talking to CGISF on the phone? If so, is there a particular person I should ask for at a particular time of day?

Thanks.

The fact that people granted after you have received their cards and you have been left out shows that there is a problem,which if i were to guess would be that your photo scan must not have been clear enough for printing out the OCI card.I would e-mail the MEA (usnri@mea.nic.in) and find out what the problem is.Then i would contact the consulate.

Cgisf

Mangal,

Thanks for your reply. I have sent an inquiry by email to the address that you indicated. I am crossing my fingers and hoping for a reply back from the MEA.

Best Regards,

mangal969 said:
The fact that people granted after you have received their cards and you have been left out shows that there is a problem,which if i were to guess would be that your photo scan must not have been clear enough for printing out the OCI card.I would e-mail the MEA (usnri@mea.nic.in) and find out what the problem is.Then i would contact the consulate.

krazie said:
...6. ANY STATUS ENQUIRY WILL BE ACCEPTED ONLY AFTER 12 WEEKS OF SUBMISSION OF COMPLETE APPLICATION.

krazie,

Point 6 is you. reply back with point 6 and say "Dear Sir/Madam, as per point 6 I wish to enquire about my application, as it seems to have been delayed, and I am not aware of why ..."

mangal969 said:
They have said the visa is lifelong ......so if you live to be a 100 they would have to issue you a new OCI gratis :D :D :D
My guess is the machine readers do not have a setting for unlimited validity....and probably without an expiration date the machine would declare the visa invalid.The date must be there to conform to the internationally agreed format.
Once they install machine readable scanners at the airports, I would be interested to see what happens to centenarians!

Application not found in data base

Hi,

I applied OCI for me and my family in last week of February by mail to CGISF
(submitted all required documents notarized). Today when I called CGISF they said there is no phone number exists to check the status, but gave me email address and also MEA where u can check the status. When I typed the reference number USASI053xxxx the msg came as , file number is not issued for this case. Can some body explain me what this is and how much time it is taking @CGISF to get OCI card.

Thanks

SDQmer said:
Hi,

I applied OCI for me and my family in last week of February by mail to CGISF
(submitted all required documents notarized). Today when I called CGISF they said there is no phone number exists to check the status, but gave me email address and also MEA where u can check the status. When I typed the reference number USASI053xxxx the msg came as , file number is not issued for this case. Can some body explain me what this is and how much time it is taking @CGISF to get OCI card.

Thanks

FYI - I filed the OCI application for my daughter on March 02 at CGISF. I called my bank this morning to check the status of the cashier's check issued to CGISF and I was told that it is still pending. I think they have not yet looked at the application. According to CGISF, all equiries pertaining to applications will be accepted/answered if it is pending for over 12 weeks.

lcauser said:
FYI - I filed the OCI application for my daughter on March 02 at CGISF. According to CGISF, all equiries pertaining to applications will be accepted/answered if it is pending for over 12 weeks.

Thanks for reply. At least Ifound one, who is in same boat as me. Let me know if any changes hapens. In our case, I send Postal order for entire family.

Finally Heard From CG Houston

We applied OCI applications to CG Houston (last week of January). Today we received an email from CG Houston stating that our applications are under process and also informed us the file numbers for checking the status.

03N400APPLICANT

Last edited by a moderator:
03N400Applicant said:
We applied OCI applications to CG Houston (last week of January). Today we received an email from CG Houston stating that our applications are under process and also informed us the file numbers for checking the status.

03N400APPLICANT

Thanks for sharing the info. I guess I can expect to hear from them soon then :)

Ny update (for those who are interested)
#1100 has been granted.
But i came across something that reminds me of the old times:#1110 has been granted on 22 March,when the last processed app was in the 900's.I couldnt find any odd men like this in the whole 1100 series or 1300 series (my series) like that.I wonder why this gentleman was granted this special 'favour'. :)

mangal969 said:
#1100 has been granted.
But i came across something that reminds me of the old times:#1110 has been granted on 22 March,when the last processed app was in the 900's.I couldnt find any odd men like this in the whole 1100 series or 1300 series (my series) like that.I wonder why this gentleman was granted this special 'favour'. :)
The ref# is not the order they receive applications. In my case, I applied in 2004, and had a very new ref#. Fortunately, they processed my about 300 ahead of others.

03N400Applicant said:

03N400APPLICANT

Same here.. :) Got email from Houston with File Numbers and stating my application in under process. Applied in 4th week 0f Jan.

Sending Passport to CGISF for OCI stamp

Anyone out there sent their passports to CGISF for OCI stamping? Please respond how many days they took to send it back to you.

I sent them on 3/20 by overnight fedex and still waiting to receive them back.

Thank you.

romit

krazie said:
Mangal,

Thanks for your reply. I have sent an inquiry by email to the address that you indicated. I am crossing my fingers and hoping for a reply back from the MEA.

Best Regards,
Karzie
sorry for this dumb question but did you check online at the CGISF website for your FIle number? CGISF is not going to send you anything after your status has changed to "Granted" on the MHA online. Instead CGISF notifies through their website and you have to send in your passports after that. just in case you did not know this...:D

Regd.MHA website

Hi,
When I was using MHA website to find the status, it is asking file number or reference number. I am confused with these, as I do have only one number which is :when you are filling Part-A of OCI application it has some number on it, Whics starts with USASI0xxxxxx . Can u guys tell me how many days it will take to showup your status after u file @CGISF.

mangal969 said:
#1100 has been granted.
MY salute to all senior member of forum/club.

really good community service.
houston Update.
application reach 20th jan
got file NO. on 14Th feb(E mail)
status granted change on 18Th feb.
got approval 9Th march (E mail)
send passport on 10TH march
received U visa oci sticker on 24Th march