India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
bubbette said:
Hi!

What is a 35mm x 35mm photograph that the OCI form asks for? It doesn't seem to be any familiar photo format. Please help?

Cut a 2x2 pic to roughly 1.3x1.3 and youre fine

mangal969 said:
Cut a 2x2 pic to roughly 1.3x1.3 and youre fine
35mm x 45mm is another standard size - you can just cut a bit off the top/bottom.

I do not think anyone has been rejected because of non-compliant size. I sent a 35x45, and because it was not square, it was squashed when printed. But it was not rejected.

Last edited by a moderator:
NY is upto no 1275 ! ! ! -But there are many applicants in between that are still in process.
Seeing this particular block i guess that the serial number system is going to go out the window :)
So i guess i will concentrate on my number alone now.I estimate that I should be granted by this weekend.
Footnote for guys waiting in the wings-looks like the best time to apply (atleast for CGINY) is now because your forms will go with the rush pack and you will get your OCI at a comfortable rate.If they complete the process, slow down a bit maybe divert some of the staff to the more 'important' departments from where they came who knows how much time it will take.Even if you are going to India in the interim and got your visitor visa apply now and collect it later.

I got mine and my son's passports back with OCI visa stamped from CGISF.

Everything looks correct, so no worry.

romit said:
I got mine and my son's passports back with OCI visa stamped from CGISF.

Everything looks correct, so no worry.

Congrats! I mailed my daughter's passport to CGISF on 16th March and haven't received the docs yet. I had emailed CGISF on friday requesting for the status and haven't heard back from them.

When did you mail in your docs to CGISF?

mangal969 said:
NY is upto no 1275 ! ! ! -But there are many applicants in between that are still in process.
Seeing this particular block i guess that the serial number system is going to go out the window :)
So i guess i will concentrate on my number alone now.I estimate that I should be granted by this weekend.
Footnote for guys waiting in the wings-looks like the best time to apply (atleast for CGINY) is now because your forms will go with the rush pack and you will get your OCI at a comfortable rate.If they complete the process, slow down a bit maybe divert some of the staff to the more 'important' departments from where they came who knows how much time it will take.Even if you are going to India in the interim and got your visitor visa apply now and collect it later.
My predction.
oci no (same as U visa no). is good gause of progress at delhi.

few assumption.
8000 applicatio in Jan.
30000 in Febury.(minister statement)
feb 25th is printig date of 5100 (oci card no).
Mean there processing speed can be gause.

transit time from delhi to destion is 11days(approximate)

lcauser said:
Congrats! I mailed my daughter's passport to CGISF on 16th March and haven't received the docs yet. I had emailed CGISF on friday requesting for the status and haven't heard back from them.

When did you mail in your docs to CGISF?

I sent the passports on the 20th by fedex and they received it on the 21st. I got the passports back on the 27th.

CGI Houston

My application status has changed to 'processing' from 'file not yet registered with the concerned mission'. It took 8 weeks from application receipt to 'under process' stage :p

Regarding the online application

what does "visible distinguishin mark" refer to?

what does it mean?....Im an 18yr old and a student. and I will be going to India in may...or june....so wanted some help and information.

Do you people think it will be processed by then?

Distingushing Marks are like - moles, permanent scars, etc. Face & above the neck would be ideal.

Those who once held an Indian PP, are quite familiar with them as they are listed in the PP. However, the PP application has 'Visible Distingushing Marks, if any

myztic87 said:

what does it mean?....Im an 18yr old and a student. and I will be going to India in may...or june....so wanted some help and information.

Hi there

On my wife's app in the place where it asks for visible distinguishin mark we put -NA- and that was fine by them. When the PIO card came out in that space it reflected the same -NA-. It will apply for anything to do with GOI(PIO, OCI, INdian PP). Please Note: If you held an INdian passport anytime on the last page it will have the same space abt ur dtg mark, if u have one there then its good to type the same on ur OCI App.

fitness99 said:
My application status has changed to 'processing' from 'file not yet registered with the concerned mission'. It took 8 weeks from application receipt to 'under process' stage :p

Went backwards ?? Are you sure ??
And why ? I think you should call the embassy ASAP !

myztic87 said:

Try your luck !
Go ahead and apply (You should have done that some time ago if you were planning for May/June) but be prepared to spend for a tourist visa in case it doesnt come in time
For VDM If you have a prominent mole/scar (which you dont intend to have surgically removed) mention it otherwise just put "None"

OCI Newbie questions...

Hello all,
I received my US pp a few weeks back and now was looking to apply for OCI. I'll be applying to the SF Consulate. I had some OCI "newbie" questions and would appreciate your help.

1. Do you have to notarize both sets of copies of the US pp and Ind pp, or only notarize one set and the other set is just a photocopy for the duplicate application?

2. Can you take a photocopy of the US and Ind pp on one sheet and just get that one page notarized, instead of having a notary stamping and notarizing two sheets of paper (one for US pp and one for IND pp)

3. I have not had the IND passport cancelled yet. Does the IND pp need to be cancelled b4 applying for the IOC, or it'll be cancelled by the consulate when you send it in with the US pp for the stamping after approval.

Thanks

mangal969 said:
Went backwards ?? Are you sure ??
And why ? I think you should call the embassy ASAP !

No, it did not go backwards. It went from "not yet registered with the concerned mission" to "under process" :D

Photo re-scan...reply from MHA for my e-mail

I got a reply from MHA for the e-mail I had sent about CGINY not issuing the OCI cards for granted applications. They are saying that they would be asking the consulate to re-scan the photos. Why is the scanner broken in the Heart of Big Apple?

Do CGINY require our help to get a good scanner? pathetic situation.

sfbayguy said:
1. Do you have to notarize both sets of copies of the US pp and Ind pp, or only notarize one set and the other set is just a photocopy for the duplicate application?
Both
2. Can you take a photocopy of the US and Ind pp on one sheet and just get that one page notarized, instead of having a notary stamping and notarizing two sheets of paper (one for US pp and one for IND pp)
Smart idea - can't see the problem
3. I have not had the IND passport cancelled yet. Does the IND pp need to be cancelled b4 applying for the IOC, or it'll be cancelled by the consulate when you send it in with the US pp for the stamping after approval.
Should be cancelled with OCI application, i.e. ASAP.

rajudm said:
I got a reply from MHA for the e-mail I had sent about CGINY not issuing the OCI cards for granted applications. They are saying that they would be asking the consulate to re-scan the photos. Why is the scanner broken in the Heart of Big Apple?

Do CGINY require our help to get a good scanner? pathetic situation.
NY is behind the times - they are still getting their act together.

PP notarizing

Do you notarize the photocopy or is the notary signing only on the 'Copy Certification by Document Custodian' Form??

Could someone clarify.

Thanks!

I dont think you should have only one page for both the Indian & US passports.Two seperate documents on one page will have the Notaries hair standing :)
Getting the documents notarised is tricky enough as it is (at least in PA).Dont rock the boat too much