India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OCI Application Process

I understand that OCI Application process now has become very fast.
How soon one can typically get the OCI after the application is submitted?

They have speeded up in general.

I think they would on an average probably issue the OCI within 45 days of application,if you apply today.Probably come down to 30 days and finally to within the legally defined 15 days.Chicago has proven to be massively efficient (they're turnover time after approval is 4 working days vis a vis NY which still hasnt completed issue of January Granted candidates as far as i know) so probably applying there would be very fast.

Though i guess with this initial rush of apps there wont be many people left to apply :)
It will mostly be the new citizens and children now.But i dont think they will have a mad rush like they did now.

gotia congrats on getting your OCI card (today)

SDQmer,you have to enter your number in the reference no column and click the go next to it (Do not press Enter)-CGISF i believe e-mails you when you can check your status online.Consider a time frame of 2 weeks after they receive it.

Weekend update for GGINY-#1155.Only a 150 odd for me to go ! By estimates I should be granted by this time next week.(Of course when i actually get my card is a whole other ball game).

wait will be few more weeks.

Almost 3 weeks have past after granted, no word from CGINY. the mail bag may be on it's way via AIR INDIA (caught up in JFK traffic jam).

mangal969 said:
They have speeded up in general.

I think they would on an average probably issue the OCI within 45 days of application,if you apply today.Probably come down to 30 days and finally to within the legally defined 15 days.Chicago has proven to be massively efficient (they're turnover time after approval is 4 working days vis a vis NY which still hasnt completed issue of January Granted candidates as far as i know) so probably applying there would be very fast.

Though i guess with this initial rush of apps there wont be many people left to apply :)
It will mostly be the new citizens and children now.But i dont think they will have a mad rush like they did now.

gotia congrats on getting your OCI card (today)

SDQmer,you have to enter your number in the reference no column and click the go next to it (Do not press Enter)-CGISF i believe e-mails you when you can check your status online.Consider a time frame of 2 weeks after they receive it.

Weekend update for GGINY-#1155.Only a 150 odd for me to go ! By estimates I should be granted by this time next week.(Of course when i actually get my card is a whole other ball game).

cgi ny

mangal969 said:
Ny update (for those who are interested)
#1100 has been granted.
But i came across something that reminds me of the old times:#1110 has been granted on 22 March,when the last processed app was in the 900's.I couldnt find any odd men like this in the whole 1100 series or 1300 series (my series) like that.I wonder why this gentleman was granted this special 'favour'. :)
Even 1375 to 1378 has been granted, while those behind are waiting

genesis1 said:
Even 1375 to 1378 has been granted, while those behind are waiting

I think these 'special' numbers are like PIO1's case...Applied in 2004 and re-applied now due to some deficiency in their previous applications.....or they know the head of the OCI cell/CG of NY very very well :D .

1378 is the last file number BTW.1379 does not exist.

They seem to be generally following the serial order as far as processing goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
rajudm,
email the mea (usnri@mea.nic.in).I think all of us New Yorkers are overdue as far as an explanation of this delay is concerned.If everyone everywhere else gets their cards within 2 weeks of being granted why are we being left behind ? I will definitely e-mail them but i have to wait for the 'granted' status first :)

On a slightly more pleasant note CGINY is processing applications even today (they didnt last Saturday).It is now upto #1186.

Query about Part B of OCI form

Question 16 of the OCI application says:
Does the country of applicant permit dual citizenship in some form or other.

For my daughter who is born in US, do I write yes or no??

Anybody??

Thanks,

gc_man said:
Question 16 of the OCI application says:
Does the country of applicant permit dual citizenship in some form or other.

For my daughter who is born in US, do I write yes or no??

Anybody??

Thanks,
US permits dual citizenship, so answer should be yes.

I applied for my OCI card at NY consulate on Jan 23rd, 2006. My status on the website is "GRANTED" since Mar 04. I haven't recieved any communication from NY consulate?. Should I send my passport or should I wait for some letter?

Thanks

Do I still need Indian visitor's visa after getting U.S citizenship?

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but with Dual citizenship, do I still have to get visitor's visa to visit India or have to get some other kind of document to prove I am of Indian Origin?

Thanks.

Fountainhead said:
Sorry to ask a dumb question, but with Dual citizenship, do I still have to get visitor's visa to visit India or have to get some other kind of document to prove I am of Indian Origin?

Thanks.

Fountainhead - The OCI and PIO are not dual citizenships. If you are a non Indian citizen, you need to get a visitors visa or PIO or OIC to travel to India. Having a PIO and or OIC proves that you are of Indian origin. Your Indian citizenship ceases to exist as soon as you became a USC (and you need to get your Indian passport cancelled at your nearest Indian consulate/embassy before or at the time you apply for a Indian visa / PIO / OIC).

SDQmer said:
Hi,
When I was using MHA website to find the status, it is asking file number or reference number. I am confused with these, as I do have only one number which is :when you are filling Part-A of OCI application it has some number on it, Whics starts with USASI0xxxxxx . Can u guys tell me how many days it will take to showup your status after u file @CGISF.
USASI0.... is your reference number. fill this in on the form, and press "Go" next to it. Initially it will say "yet to register ...". When your app reaches the next stage of processing it will have you name and the file no will be populated. It will say "Under process". It seems to be taking 2-4 weeks from the time the consulate gets you app to when it says "Under process".

jerseyindian said:
I applied for my OCI card at NY consulate on Jan 23rd, 2006. My status on the website is "GRANTED" since Mar 04. I haven't recieved any communication from NY consulate?. Should I send my passport or should I wait for some letter?

Thanks
Don't send your pp in until you are sure they have it - it takes 2-8 weeks from "Granted" to get the visa. Might be worth asking around 4 April.

fitness99 said:
Fountainhead - The OCI and PIO are not dual citizenships. If you are a non Indian citizen, you need to get a visitors visa or PIO or OIC to travel to India. Having a PIO and or OIC proves that you are of Indian origin. Your Indian citizenship ceases to exist as soon as you became a USC (and you need to get your Indian passport cancelled at your nearest Indian consulate/embassy before or at the time you apply for a Indian visa / PIO / OIC).

Thanks fitness99 for your very clear answer.

OCI card NY consulate

PIO1 said:
Don't send your pp in until you are sure they have it - it takes 2-8 weeks from "Granted" to get the visa. Might be worth asking around 4 April.

Do you know how will it take after sending the passport?. Has anyone got the OCI card through NY consulate. I am planning to travel to India in May.

jerseyindian said:
Do you know how will it take after sending the passport?. Has anyone got the OCI card through NY consulate. I am planning to travel to India in May.
Wait till you get called before sending the pp. You should contact them and tell them you need to go to India - send them a copy of tickets etc - that could help speed it up.

jerseyindian said:

Thanks

Definitely wait.
:mad: :confused:

PIO1 said:
Wait till you get called before sending the pp. You should contact them and tell them you need to go to India - send them a copy of tickets etc - that could help speed it up.

Already tried that.They say it is beyond their control so should plan accordingly or go on visitor visa.Tried contacting the MEA for getting the visa issued transferred to India but even that doesnt work.

Weird photo format???

Hi!

What is a 35mm x 35mm photograph that the OCI form asks for? It doesn't seem to be any familiar photo format. Please help?