India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
mangal969 said:
:) You got it wrong.They had done 70 on Friday,and on Monday they did only 40 :D :confused:

I have not understood how u do it ?

Can you help me with applications made in India. The format as I said previously is

INDH00121106

I can see the "granted' status is scattered. while many applications INDH00123306 onwards are in process. There are many others in the status 'Granted' as well.

In fact I found today that application numbers greater than mine are in 'Granted' status. I am going to call them.

The 'In process' number has reached INDH171406 or something like that.

fitness99

thanks for the reply. do u have an idea how is the processing going in CGI, Houston. in what status is ur app. how many days in ur estimate for the OCI to come to ur hands from this consular post. just speculating

thanks

inindia said:

Can you help me with applications made in India. The format as I said previously is

INDH00121106

I can see the "granted' status is scattered. while many applications INDH00xxxx06 onwards are in process. There are many others in the status 'Granted' as well.

In fact I found today that application numbers greater than mine are in 'Granted' status. I am going to call them.

The 'In process' number has reached INDHxxxx06 or something like that.
INDH are home ministry applications from 2004, 2005 or criminal histories etc.

Did you apply to the ministry ... if you applied through an FFRO, you should have a different number.

INDA- INDIA-FRRO AMRITSAR
INDC- INDIA-FRRO CHENNAI
INDD- INDIA-FRRO DELHI
INDK- INDIA-FRRO KOLKATA
INDM- INDIA-FRRO MUMBAI
INDH- INDIA-MHA DELHI

If you filled in a web application, you would have a ref no in the form INDHI0xxxx06. Until you are "under process" you will not get a file number in the format you mentioned INDH00xxxx06.

Last edited by a moderator:
inindia said:

INDH00121106

I can see the "granted' status is scattered. while many applications INDH00123306 onwards are in process. There are many others in the status 'Granted' as well.

The 'In process' number has reached INDH171406 or something like that.

The file no you have given me has already been approved on March 6th.So maybe you are checking with the wrong number.

vlmeda said:
fitness99

thanks for the reply. do u have an idea how is the processing going in CGI, Houston. in what status is ur app. how many days in ur estimate for the OCI to come to ur hands from this consular post. just speculating

thanks

I have applied during the third week of Jan 2006, and so far the application has not been processed yet. It appears that it can take about approx. 3 - 4 months at the Houston CGI (from app. time to receiving OCI).

fitness99 said:
I have applied during the third week of Jan 2006, and so far the application has not been processed yet. It appears that it can take about approx. 3 - 4 months at the Houston CGI (from app. time to receiving OCI).
The large consulates can submit the applications to Delhi electronically, through scanners etc. Houston must not have the capability, hence the delay.

Hidden data

Two interesting notes.

The two machine readable lines of data at the bottom of the OCI card has information that conforms to an international standard.

The interesting thing is that this information tells us whether what we are looking at is a Passport or Visa. It also tells us when it expires.

Guess what?

The OCI card says it is a "V"-Visa and it expires 1 day before your 100th birthday. So when you turn 100, you need to apply for another card!

PIO1 said:
The large consulates can submit the applications to Delhi electronically, through scanners etc. Houston must not have the capability, hence the delay.

Looks like it....the thing that comes to my mind is "Houston, we have a problem!" ;)

PIO1 said:
Two interesting notes.

Guess what?

The OCI card says it is a "V"-Visa and it expires 1 day before your 100th birthday. So when you turn 100, you need to apply for another card!

I guess since the visa pasted in the passport is valid for life, it should be okay. On the other hand if a person is 100 years old, I think the OCI expiration date is the last thing on their mind :D

fitness99 said:
I guess since the visa pasted in the passport is valid for life, it should be okay. On the other hand if a person is 100 years old, I think the OCI expiration date is the last thing on their mind :D
The U-Visa has similar data, it also expires one day before your 100th according to the machine readable data.

Well I have a couple more years to go ... but thought it was interesting.

Hello Guys, just a quick question.

Why did the GOI changed Dual citizenship to OCI?
May be GOI acted cleverly to include some important countries?
May be a brainy IFS offcier did this?

ie, German citizens if they want to get dual citizenship (if they don't want to loose German citizenship after getting another citizenship) they have to convince the German govt. that they are doing this for the good of Germany and as far as I know its a very complicated and lengthy process and the success rate of permission from the German govt is less than 25%.

Somebody might have thought OCI which is not a dual can help German Indians?
Any OCI applicants from Germany in this forum?

CGISF - "granted on January 24th" but no OCI yet

Hello folks,

I haven't visited the forum in a few days. Recently a friend of mine who applied for OCI in Feb this year called me to let me know that his name appeared on the CGISF list of people whose OCIs were ready.

I had applied for mine in January and the online inquiry indicates that my application was approved on January 24. However my name does not appear on the CGISF web-site list. This is confusing - my friend applied 2-3 weeks after me and is done with the process, where as my application is still hanging.

Any idea on how to track down my application?

Thanks in advance!

PIO1 said:
INDH are home ministry applications from 2004, 2005 or criminal histories etc.

Did you apply to the ministry ... if you applied through an FFRO, you should have a different number.

INDA- INDIA-FRRO AMRITSAR
INDC- INDIA-FRRO CHENNAI
INDD- INDIA-FRRO DELHI
INDK- INDIA-FRRO KOLKATA
INDM- INDIA-FRRO MUMBAI
INDH- INDIA-MHA DELHI

If you filled in a web application, you would have a ref no in the form INDHI0xxxx06. Until you are "under process" you will not get a file number in the format you mentioned INDH00xxxx06.
PIO1 - I had posted this before. I had applied at Mumbai FRRO and the number generated online was INDMI00.......

However, the FRROs in India are just acting as postmen or middlemen. From that experience I can tell everyone who is interested to send the application directly to MHA Delhi to avoide waste of time.

Subsequently I called Mumbai FRRO and they gave me Mr Sharma's number. When I called him he said that the INDMI number has no more any relevance. And the same day he allotted me another number which is INDH.......

I had posted all these earlier may be u missed it.

Anyway to tell shortly all the incountry applications are now in INDH001XXX06 format. The initial online generated number could be anything.

Mangal - I had not posted my number. Of you read carefully I said that was the number till which all the applications were 'granted' and then there are large gaps between subsequent 'granted' numbers. I never gave my number and will not :)

Anyway the most important part of the message is now my status is 'granted'

Relatively quick turnoaround. I have been told to send the passport and PIO card to Delhi MHA office. And by Wednesday I'll get back my passport with OCI sticker and OCI card. My name was wrongly spelt initially and now when the status has changed I can see that it has been corrected. I am here on PIO with my kid and now I dont have to registed with FRRO or anywhere in hotels etc. Wow.....

Useful info - addresses in India for OCI applications

http://www.mha.nic.in/oci/oci-adrs.pdf
Mr sharma number - 0091 - (0)11 23387893

by the way I can tell that there is no sequence for the 'granted' atleast in MHA because as I said many application numbered higher than mine were already approved before me. And there are many applications which have been there before me are still 'Under process'. But one thing is sure these guys in India are amazingly quick.

mangal969 said:
Glad to know the U visa 'works' :)
BTW Which line did she have to stand in at immigration ? Are Indian nationals/PIO's & OCI's in one queue or is there a seperate queue between the 3 groups ?
Or was it the "foreigner's" queue ?
Mumbai Airport is being renovated, and my wife says it looks fantastic - esp the baggage claim /immigration area.

She was sent to an empty line and didn't notice any signs, it was somewhat disorganised due to construction etc.

inindia said:
PIO1 - I had posted this before. I had applied at Mumbai FRRO and the number generated online was INDMI00.......
Thanks for clearing that up. The FRROs are inefficient and CORUPT (as I have posted here before). Good to hear the process has been taken away from them.

Also good advice - if in India don't apply at all in an FRRO - send it to the MHA.

Congrats on being Granted!

krazie said:
Hello folks,

I haven't visited the forum in a few days. Recently a friend of mine who applied for OCI in Feb this year called me to let me know that his name appeared on the CGISF list of people whose OCIs were ready.

I had applied for mine in January and the online inquiry indicates that my application was approved on January 24. However my name does not appear on the CGISF web-site list. This is confusing - my friend applied 2-3 weeks after me and is done with the process, where as my application is still hanging.

Any idea on how to track down my application?

Thanks in advance!

Granted does not meen printed or issued ... if it takes you more than 6-8 weeks, I would start phoning the numbers on this forum starting with the consulate.

Mangal Pandey said:
Hello Guys, just a quick question.

Why did the GOI changed Dual citizenship to OCI?

My answer: Dual citizenship required a change to the constitution which neither Congress nor BJP had the stomach to do.

OCI - while everyone is getting it, is a dubious title - I think the use of "Citizen" is not correct.

They require that you state that the country allows dual citizenship in some form.

If, as you say the policy of the Germans is special case allowance, this is my thinking:

When India asks does the country allow DC in some form? Answer = yes [in some form Germany does allow DC albeit in 25% of cases ;)]

Do you need to get exemption from German govt? Answer = no [because OCI is not DC ;)]

May be GOI acted cleverly to include some important countries?
So originally, I think there were 8 countries, then 16, now all countries that allowed DC can have OCI

May be a brainy IFS offcier did this?
My guess for this policy, of only allowing OCI to countries that allow DC is:

a) The people who wrote this policy are nuts
b) One day, OCI may be upgraded to full Dual Citizenship through legislation and constitutional amendments, and existing OCIs will automatically become DCs. Hence if a country does not allow DC, this could cause problems if this step was made.

I think honestly though that OCI gives what most people need. There are some people crazy about voting rights but I am not in them. I did vote in many years of holding Indian passport till now.

I think they have given what is practically needed. the process and way to do it could hv been much better but I am happy to have a lifeling multi-purpose visa. I am in India now and cant see much what a INC can do and OCI cannot. Let's not do analysis paralysis thing.

Lets enjoy what we have while we have it......Amen !!! (U can see I am in good mood thanks to MHA and by the way pio1 - FRROs are not as bad as u paint - my application was checked by them and I think thanks to that with no further query my application has been 'Granted' so quickly. And certinly they were quick to send my appln to MHA. i was just suggesting direct sending because it can save one a trip to FRRO and couple of days as the appln directly hits MHA. Good luck guys.....

Cgisf

I understand that "Granted" does not imply that the process is done with. It is nearly 8 weeks since my application was "Granted".

I just sent CGISF an email inquiring about my application. Has anybody here had luck talking to CGISF on the phone? If so, is there a particular person I should ask for at a particular time of day?

Thanks.

PIO1 said:
Granted does not meen printed or issued ... if it takes you more than 6-8 weeks, I would start phoning the numbers on this forum starting with the consulate.