India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
mangal969 said:
My application number must be 30,272 :) !

Looks like my application is right behind yours in the Houston queue :D The GoI says that they opened a OCI cell (what ever that means) to process the applications...wondering how many people they have in that cell :p

basis said:
An OIC card costs $275 to apply and if the application is rejected, $250 is refunded. It is similar to a passport. The card-holder can visit India all his life without a visa.

He also gets exemption from registration with local police for any length of stay in India. He's also entitled facilities at par with NRIs but he's not entitled to political rights including seeking election or casting votes here.

"There is a proposal to grant them voting rights but no decision has been taken so far," says the official.

What if we say we are citizens when they come for voter listing? DO we alreay have the ID cards? India is a ocean, even we have a vote somebody will vote for us! I did that once for my relative!

Its been 7 weeks now not a thing from NZ. I dont have a file number, all i know is they sent my case to India long back, after that no response from the embassy. Anyone any news from nz?

WELL WHO WANTS TO VOTE IN INDIA ANYWAY- YOU WILL END UP WITH A DIRTY FINGER WITH A BLACK SPOT(INK) ON IT EATING YOUR SKIN HAPPILY :D

"KEEP IT REAL"

Last edited by a moderator:
rvalla said:
What if we say we are citizens when they come for voter listing? DO we alreay have the ID cards? India is a ocean, even we have a vote somebody will vote for us! I did that once for my relative!

Oh India is not an Ocean anymore. Everyone has voters Photo ID card - Indian CitizenCard- PAN numer and so on. Cows in delhi also have a microchip in them so that they can track it down if it turns into a stray.

Survey

Lets do a quick survey (for those interested ;))

a) When did you first apply
b) Are you a PIO holder
c) What's your status ("Unprocessed", "Under Process", "Granted", "Issued")

Here are is my response:

a) November 2004
b) No
c) "Granted"

PIO1 said:

b) Are you a PIO holder

Here are is my response:

a) November 2004
b) No
c) "Granted"

a) January 2006
b) No
c) No file number or acknowledgement rcvd from nz so status - unknown-

PIO1 said:

b) Are you a PIO holder

Here are is my response:
a)App received by CGNY Jan 9 2006
b) Nope
c) What is a status ???? :confused: :mad: :eek: :cool:

Got my OCI

I applied in Houston office on Jan. 18, 2006. It was approved on Feb. 5. I sent my passports for stamping on Feb. 23. I got my OCI document and "U" visa stamped in the passport today. The visa has issue date of Feb. 7, 06. It took about 7 weeks for processing. Not bad for GOI.

Merced said:
I applied in Houston office on Jan. 18, 2006. It was approved on Feb. 5. I sent my passports for stamping on Feb. 23. I got my OCI document and "U" visa stamped in the passport today. The visa has issue date of Feb. 7, 06. It took about 7 weeks for processing. Not bad for GOI.

30 days between approval and you actually reciving the documents ! That is a wee bit too much !

Maybe this special OCI cell will speed things up a bit.

OCI Document/Sticker (2005 Application)

GOI in New Delhi informed me that they have couriered my OCI Document/Sticker to US Consulate on Feb. 21, 06.

The Consulate has not received them so far!

I wonder how long it takes for the documents to arrive to the USA?

PIO1 said:

b) Are you a PIO holder

Here are is my response:

a) November 2004
b) No
c) "Granted"

Jan 2006 (CGI Houston)
Yes
Something about not yet registered in the mission :rolleyes:

this morning stating that scanned photo sent by CG SFO was not clear and MEA has requested the consulate to re-scan it. Hence the delay.

Are the consulates scanning Part B for GOI to check online?

boggavarapu said:
GOI in New Delhi informed me that they have couriered my OCI Document/Sticker to US Consulate on Feb. 21, 06.

The Consulate has not received them so far!

I wonder how long it takes for the documents to arrive to the USA?

Look at Merced's post..His OCI was approved Feb 7th and he sent his passport on Feb 23rd.
Obviously GoI is using speed post/airmail and not an actual private courier like DHL and that too after they have a fixed no of apps(20 odd) from your embassy . I would expect them to inform you around 10th March

OCI Granted on 7th March as predicted

As I predicted earlier that our OCI will be granted in couple of days, it has been granted on 7th March. Atleast OCI process for 2006 applicants is becoming predictable. Now it is waiting time of 2 weeks to 8 weeks as indicated on the forum. Let me us see on which side of the band we will be for getting the U sticker and the card.

CGINY-- recieved by consulate on Jan 31st.

mangal969 said:
Look at Merced's post..His OCI was approved Feb 7th and he sent his passport on Feb 23rd.
Obviously GoI is using speed post/airmail and not an actual private courier like DHL and that too after they have a fixed no of apps(20 odd) from your embassy . I would expect them to inform you around 10th March

fitness99 said:
Jan 2006
Yes
Something about not yet registered in the mission :rolleyes:
fitness99

its useful also to have which consulate to your survey.

Here is my info
Applied Jan 09 2006
not POI holder
changed to "Under process" on Feb 22 after I sent additional docs
SFO Consulate

If you get enough responses, you may have to summarize..

Article 9 of the Indian Constitution

While it appears unlikely that voting rights will be accorded to OCI holders anytime soon, granting such a right does not require any amendment to
article 9 of the Constituion. The scope of Article 9 is only limited to "a person having voluntarily acquired the citizenship of a foreign state prior to the commencement of the Constitution" i.e 26 Jan 1950. Cases of loss of Indian citizenship by reason of acquisition of the citizenship of a foreign state since 26 Jan 1950 are governed by Section 9 of the Citizenship Act.

This has been clearly decided by the Supreme Court in State of UP vs Shah Md. (1969).

Also, article 11 of the Indian Constitution makes it clear that the Constitution does not intend to lay down a permanent or comprehensive law relating to the Citizenship of India. It clearly cedes to the Indian parliament the power to make any legislation with respect to the acquisition and termination of citizenship and all other matters relating to citizenship (subsequent to the commencement of the Constitution). The power of Parliament to enact the Citizenship Act arose from this article.

So, to grant voting rights to OCIs does not require an amendment to the Constitution. However, even if there was political will to do this (as there appears to be to some degree given the public pronouncements), there are practical issues that are going to be tricky to resolve. e.g. determining the constituency that you would be allowed to vote in. It needs to be borne in mind that many OCIs may not have ever set foot in India at all, as is the case with many of our children. Even if you were to come up with some convoluted logic for assigning OCIs to some constituency, it might require amendments to the Representation of People's Act and other statutes.

So, I think under the circumstances they have given as much benefits as they possibly can to OCIs. The only way I think that they can reasonably grant "dual citizenship" is by creating two classes of citizens in India, may be one with voting rights and the other without, which will not happen since it requires too many changes to the fundamental structure of our polity.

As mangal points out in a later post, at some level it will be difficult even for us to make a case for voting rights having voluntarily given up citizenship of India and enjoying voting rights in the US. I just don't seem to have a winning argument for myself to ask for voting rights in India. Just my 0.02 $ worth.

Hotdiggety said:
Would you have a link for this? Voting is one the most fundamental rights of citizenship, and is totally incompatible with a "U" visa, which is all that this OIC scheme is. Either they're thinking of changing Article 9 of the Consitution, or (more likely) they're just blowing smoke again.

Rajax said:
fitness99

its useful also to have which consulate to your survey.

Here is my info
Applied Jan 09 2006
not POI holder
changed to "Under process" on Feb 22 after I sent additional docs
SFO Consulate

If you get enough responses, you may have to summarize..

CGI Houston - I have edited my previous post to add this information.

Applied at - FRRO Mumbai India
Applied on - 6th Feb 2006
PIO Card - Yes
Earlier Indian Passport - Yes for one and No for other
Status - File Number Yet to Register in Concern Mission