India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Indian4 said:
Anyone

When you land in India with a PIO/OCI card/VIsa what do u fill in as in the disembarkation card?? Are we foreigners means filling in foreigners column or do we have a special place to fill in pio/oci or are we treated as indian citizens and fill in the place used by indians?

6. (To be filled by foreigners only)

Visa No.:_____________ Date of issue:__________________

Place of issue:_____________ Valid upto:________________

DO WE NEED TO FILL THE ABOVE??

3. Nationality :___________________________________

DO WE HAVE TO PUT AMERICAN/NEW ZEALANDER OR OCI FOR THE ABOVE??

Does OCI play a role at all in this :D

Using a PIO card I had to fill in the foreigners section:
Visa No: was my PIO number
Nationality: based on your current passport

Even with OIC, I believe you will have to fill out the foreigners section, and the Visa No will be your OIC number. OIC is just a life long visa as far as I am concerned (unless GoI comes up with a new disembarkation form format to accomodate the OIC's which may take another decade) :p

Last edited by a moderator:
dilipjaju said:
Mangal969,

Thanks for quick response. One more question. What should we put for Place of Issue? US passport does not give name of the city from where it is issued. Please let me know.

Regards,

Dilip Jaju

Place of issue would be there on the first page or in some cases the second page."Issued at" is a column in all US passports.In my passport it is to the right of the column showing issue date,below place of birth on the first page.In my previous passport it was on the second page left hand side.It is there.

fitness99 said:
Using a PIO card I had to fill in the foreigners section:
Visa No: was my PIO number
Nationality: based on your current passport

Even with OIC, I believe you will have to fill out the foreigners section, and the Visa No will be your OIC number. OIC is just a life long visa as far as I am concerned (unless GoI comes up with a new disembarkation form format to accomodate the OIC's which may take another decade) :p

Actually since the government does call it dual citizenship we can "correctly" write nationality as Indian and present the OCI card :)

I'm just kidding.Dont try any stunts the last thing you need after a long flight is a harrowing customs officer.Unless you travel first class :)
For visa no enter your U visa number.
For nationality enter your primary nationality.

What to mention ?

Since OCI is not exactly dual citizenship, I would like to clarify this issue.

A) For some US Government jobs, they ask if you are a citizen of any other country ( other than US). What should we mention - YES ( OR ) NO.

B) How about if they ask. Are you a dual citizen. What should we mention - YES ( OR ) NO

C) I can imagine another scenario - Do you have dual nationality. What should we mention - YES ( OR ) NO

Please comment on these questions one by one, if possible.

I guess it comes down to , what is the US Goverment definition of dual citizenship.

Regards, :)

mangal969 said:
Place of issue would be there on the first page or in some cases the second page."Issued at" is a column in all US passports.In my passport it is to the right of the column showing issue date,below place of birth on the first page.In my previous passport it was on the second page left hand side.It is there.

When did you get your passport? My wife just got her US passport few days ago and her passport does not have Place of Issue. Instead it says Issueing authority (or something) and US Dept. of State under it.

Deer said:
When did you get your passport? My wife just got her US passport few days ago and her passport does not have Place of Issue. Instead it says Issueing authority (or something) and US Dept. of State under it.

Then you can simply write US State Department. Mine was issued at a passport agency since I expedited mine when I applied for it a couple of years ago. Note that only the US State department has the authority to issue passports (passport agencies are all part of the US State Department).

helper00 said:

A) For some US Government jobs, they ask if you are a citizen of any other country ( other than US). What should we mention - YES ( OR ) NO.

B) How about if they ask. Are you a dual citizen. What should we mention - YES ( OR ) NO

C) I can imagine another scenario - Do you have dual nationality. What should we mention - YES ( OR ) NO

I guess it comes down to , what is the US Goverment definition of dual citizenship.

I think the answer is NO as OIC is not dual citizenship (at least for now, unless GoI adds provisions to make it dual citizenship going forward). Dual citizens carry both countries passports, and not the OCI sticker :D

fitness99 said:
Then you can simply write US State Department. Mine was issued at a passport agency since I expedited mine when I applied for it a couple of years ago. Note that only the US State department has the authority to issue passports (passport agencies are all part of the US State Department).

Thanks fitness99.

Deer said:

In mine the same column says "Passport office,Name of city".Maybe you should fill in US Department of State and space permitting enter the city where you got it from in brackets.

helper00 said:

As of RIGHT NOW the US dept of state does not consider OCI to be dual nationality.You do not get an Indian passport as an OCI just a visa and a identity card.
So until the US declares OCI as dual nationality your answers will be:
A No
B No
C No

However in interest of full disclosure you should declare that you have a lifelong visa to India because of ancestral connections. (without using the words OCI because it is a misnomer and can create unnecessary complications)

From the US consulate in Delhi:
Overseas Citizenship of India

Many Americans have inquired about the new “Overseas Citizens of India” (OCI) program, which is often mistaken as a “dual nationality” program. However, the OCI program does not grant Indian citizenship. Thus, an American citizen with an Indian heritage, who obtains an OCI card is not a citizen of India. That person remains a citizen of only one country--the United States. An OCI card in reality is similar to a U.S. “green card” in that a holder can travel to and from India indefinitely, work in India, study in India, and own property in India (except for certain agricultural and plantation properties). An OCI holder, however, does not receive an Indian passport, cannot vote in Indian elections and is not eligible for government employment in India.
The OCI program is similar to the Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) card introduced by the Indian government several years ago, except that PIO holders must still register with Indian immigration authorities, and PIO cards are not issued for an indefinite period.

Folks,

I checked my status on the OCI Online website today and it changed to "Granted" 09-Mar-2006

Here's my detailed timeline

Jan 09, 2006 --
--------------
Original filing of Part A and B

Jan 14, 2006 - Feb 14, 2006
----------------------------
Checked status online kept showing "Not registered with Concern Mission". And I got "concern" (ed) :D

Feb 14, 2006 --
--------------
Read in this Forum that others who filed after me are getting status "Granted"

Feb 15, 2006 --
--------------
Sent an enquiry to CGISF asking what happened to my case

Feb 20, 2006 --
--------------
CGISF sends an a reply with a copy of a previous email they sent me dated Feb 4, 2006 asking for a better passport copy. Folks I NEVER got this - and of course are you kidding me - any email OCI - and, could I have missed it for all the world??

Feb 21, 2006 --
--------------
Fedex'ed required additional docs

Feb 22, 2006 --
--------------
CGISF signs and receives package per tracking info

Feb 28, 2006 --
--------------
Status changes to "Under Process"

Mar 09, 2006 (today)
--------------
Status changes to "Granted"

Overall happiness index at this point :D :D

my lessons learned are:
1) read this Forum actively to know what to expect in terms of timeline and be sensitive to relative delays in your own case compared to others
2) be proctive - write /call Consulates or even GOI (as some are doing) on status, don't be shy or lazy :D

Without 1 and 2, think about it - I would not have a clue since I never got the email they sent and I would have been sitting around waiting (AND SO WOULD THEY!)

Other observations: CGISF in impressively fast, and so is GOI - real data in my case is showing they are taking only about a week-a-piece to get the paperwork in place/approval etc.

Overall great going - Both consulate and GOI. Very Impressive

Now the usual courier delay from india for the stickers of course..:D

Proposal to establish Overseas Centres in United States, Gulf, Malaysia

http://www.newkerala.com/news2.php?action=fullnews&id=22720

Proposal to establish Overseas Centres in United States, Gulf, Malaysia
New Delhi, Mar 8 : Government is examining a proposal for establishing Overseas Centres, initially in the US, Malaysia and the Gulf, the Lok Sabha was informed today.

The proposal to establish the Centres is under examination in consultation with the Ministries of External Affairs and Finance, Overseas Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi said in a written reply.

Three centres are proposed to be opened initially -- one each in the US, Malaysia and the Gulf, he said.

They are expected to be established at the earliest, he said adding these centres will inter alia extend legal and medical counselling services.

Diaspora: The government is considering a proposal to establish the Diaspora Knowledge Network (DKN) that can utilise the knowledge resources of the Indian diaspora, Ravi said.

It will also facilitate interaction between the providers of knowledge and its users in India such as educational institutions, research laboratories, industry and government programmes, through the use of information and communication technologies, he said.

The DKN will be established after consultation with the relevant stakeholders like the UN, Diaspora Knowledge hubs, private sector partners and concerned state governments in India, Ravi said.

PIOs: At least 4278 Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) documents have been issued to Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) mainly from the US, Australia and Canada, Ravi said, adding no OCI holds any post in India.

mangal969 said:
From the US consulate in Delhi:
Overseas Citizenship of India

Many Americans have inquired about the new “Overseas Citizens of India” (OCI) program, which is often mistaken as a “dual nationality” program. However, the OCI program does not grant Indian citizenship. Thus, an American citizen with an Indian heritage, who obtains an OCI card is not a citizen of India. That person remains a citizen of only one country--the United States. An OCI card in reality is similar to a U.S. “green card” in that a holder can travel to and from India indefinitely, work in India, study in India, and own property in India (except for certain agricultural and plantation properties). An OCI holder, however, does not receive an Indian passport, cannot vote in Indian elections and is not eligible for government employment in India.
The OCI program is similar to the Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) card introduced by the Indian government several years ago, except that PIO holders must still register with Indian immigration authorities, and PIO cards are not issued for an indefinite period.

Great Information and official from US Embassy ( State Department) . Thanks!

I think OCI CGNY has changed it's phone no...called several times at different times and no one answered.... and i think they have a no-reply policy for most e-mails.....The cell must have a group of slow frustrated people :(

Hi Krutika,

Did you receive the OCI documents from the CHICAGO CONSULATE?

I had FEDEXED my passport and the consulate received it on Monday (03/06/06). I have not yet received my passport back.

Any 2006 approvals from CGI Houston?

Did anyone receive approvals or replies to emails/phone calls from Houston? If you applied in 2006 and have granted status or a U sticker, please share your info...

I sent them an email a couple of weeks ago, and no response!

--------------------------------
Application receipt: Jan third week (Houston)

mangal969 said:
I think OCI CGNY has changed it's phone no...called several times at different times and no one answered.... and i think they have a no-reply policy for most e-mails.....The cell must have a group of slow frustrated people :(

Do u have anyone livng close by cgny who can help you by going in person to the office??

You can also try telecom directory serv if the number changed they will tell u its changed and will give u the new number for cgny

fitness99 said:
Did anyone receive approvals or replies to emails/phone calls from Houston? If you applied in 2006 and have granted status or a U sticker, please share your info...

I sent them an email a couple of weeks ago, and no response!

--------------------------------
Application receipt: Jan third week (Houston)

I applied in Houston on Jan. 18, 2006 and got my OCI card and sticker on March 6. I did not communicate with them by email but they notified me by email everytime the status changed.