India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rajax said:
fitness99

its useful also to have which consulate to your survey.

Here is my info
Applied Jan 09 2006
not POI holder
changed to "Under process" on Feb 22 after I sent additional docs
SFO Consulate

If you get enough responses, you may have to summarize..

Hello Rajax / Mangal / or Any Other Member,

I am in process of filling out Part A of application. In that it asks for Passport No. and Place of Issue. My question is which passport (US or Indian)? Please let me as soon as possible.

Thanks

Dilip Jaju

dilipjaju said:
Hello Rajax / Mangal / or Any Other Member,

I am in process of filling out Part A of application. In that it asks for Passport No. and Place of Issue. My question is which passport (US or Indian)? Please let me as soon as possible.

Thanks

Dilip Jaju

U.S (Current)

Delivery of OCI Card/Sticker (Jan. 2005 OCI Application)

OCI Cell in New Delhi informs me that my OCI Card/Sticker have been couriered to the US Consulate on Feb. 21, 2006 and they have the proof of delivery confirmation by Fed. Ex. that the Consulate has already received the documents.

The concerned officer in the Consulate confirms that they have not received my OCI documents whatsoever and cannot help me as such!

I have informed the situation to OCI Cell in India and they advised me that they now sent an email to the consulate!

I would appreciate any further suggestions/advice as how to deal with this situation and actually get the documents after 14 months of waiting!

boggavarapu said:
OCI Cell in New Delhi informs me that my OCI Card/Sticker have been couriered to the US Consulate on Feb. 21, 2006 and they have the proof of delivery confirmation by Fed. Ex. that the Consulate has already received the documents.

The concerned officer in the Consulate confirms that they have not received my OCI documents whatsoever and cannot help me as such!

I have informed the situation to OCI Cell in India and they advised me that they now sent an email to the consulate!

I would appreciate any further suggestions/advice as how to deal with this situation and actually get the documents after 14 months of waiting!

COuld you please give me the OCI cell e-mail id and phone number, thank you.

boggavarapu said:

Ask for the Fedex number and that way you can put either the OCi cell or the consulate on the spot.
But from my experience at NY it takes 2 weeks for a mailed letter to go from the mail room to the actual cell :)

inindia said:
Applied at - FRRO Mumbai India
Applied on - 6th Feb 2006
PIO Card - Yes
Earlier Indian Passport - Yes for one and No for other
Status - File Number Yet to Register in Concern Mission

I just called FRRO Mumbai - very strange they said you have to call a mr Sharma in Delhi. They simply raised their hands and said the entire next process is handled at Delhi. Advised me to keep checking online status and then call Mr sharma.

I called that number they said Mr Sharma's numbers has changed. i called on that number they just said this is not Sharma;s number and hung on me.

God knows where do I go. I was hoping I can do without registarations of all sorts by getting OCI but doesnt seem to work.

Mr Sharma's number is there in one of the previous posts.
If that number is no longer there contact Mr Kaniyal.His number is also in one of the previous posts.

mangal969 said:
Mr Sharma's number is there in one of the previous posts.
If that number is no longer there contact Mr Kaniyal.His number is also in one of the previous posts.

mangal - Thanks. I called Kaniyal as well. In fact I called him before that and he said it has to come to him from MHA (I am not sure how they come in picture) if it has been applied from any of the FRRO. So he said enquire with FRRO itself. That's why I called FRRO and now I am searching for some Mr Sharma's number.

I have applied for OCI for my son. We did not hear from the NY consulate office. How long do they take to reply you with some kind of receipt number, so that I can check the status online.

I did email to the id given on their website, but no reply even after a week.

Please let me know.

Thanks
Baski555

notarizing in CA ( for CGI SF)

Hi,
Question for those who have applied at cgi SF from California. How does the notarizing the copy of the passport work ? I spoke to a notary and she said that she is not going to stamp the copy of the the passport, she is simply going to attach a form to the copy of the passport and that will certify the copy.
Is that how it really works ? In that case how do you make a duplicate of the notarized document as CGI sf requests ?

dad22 said:
Hi,
Question for those who have applied at cgi SF from California. How does the notarizing the copy of the passport work ? I spoke to a notary and she said that she is not going to stamp the copy of the the passport, she is simply going to attach a form to the copy of the passport and that will certify the copy.
Is that how it really works ? In that case how do you make a duplicate of the notarized document as CGI sf requests ?

That is how it works in Texas as well. All the notary can do is attach a copy to the form certifying it as a true copy.

fitness99 said:
That is how it works in Texas as well. All the notary can do is attach a copy to the form certifying it as a true copy.
FYI
In my case The Bank of America lady asked me to write "I certify this to be a true copy of the original" on the photocopy itself and then attested the photocopy instead of on a separate sheet. You may request something like that.

Merced said:
I applied in Houston office on Jan. 18, 2006. It was approved on Feb. 5. I sent my passports for stamping on Feb. 23. I got my OCI document and "U" visa stamped in the passport today. The visa has issue date of Feb. 7, 06. It took about 7 weeks for processing. Not bad for GOI.
If you managed to get your OCI quickly please post on some other thread. This thread is GOI bashers exclusive!

dad22 said:
Hi,

I did the same recently and filed the OCI application with CGISF. I haven't heard from them since then. I would assume that it works.

lcauser said:
I did the same recently and filed the OCI application with CGISF. I haven't heard from them since then. I would assume that it works.
lcauser,
Did you notarized both the sets of copies or only one set of copies ?

dad22 said:
lcauser,
Did you notarized both the sets of copies or only one set of copies ?
Dad22
I had the lady notarize both sets.

Icauser
i had emailed CGISF for status and they wrote back my paperwork was in place and complete. Soon enough my file status changed to "Under process" on the OCI website.

Go check the OCI online status website at
http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp?search=2&button=go
with your reference number for your current status.

Last edited by a moderator:
I photocopied the original set of documents that had the notarized copies of the passport. In other words, the application submitted in duplicate was not notarized. I mailed the application in the past week. I might have to wait for few more days for them to get to my application.

mangal969 said:
U.S (Current)

Mangal969,

Thanks for quick response. One more question. What should we put for Place of Issue? US passport does not give name of the city from where it is issued. Please let me know.

Regards,

Dilip Jaju

hipka said:
If you managed to get your OCI quickly please post on some other thread. This thread is GOI bashers exclusive!
Hipka, we all love the GoI - if you are looking for GoI bashers, I think "Indian Dual Citizenship Mega Thread" is the wrong place to start ... try google. Let me know how you go when you find them ;)

Anyone

When you land in India with a PIO/OCI card/VIsa what do u fill in as in the disembarkation card?? Are we foreigners means filling in foreigners column or do we have a special place to fill in pio/oci or are we treated as indian citizens and fill in the place used by indians?

6. (To be filled by foreigners only)

Visa No.:_____________ Date of issue:__________________

Place of issue:_____________ Valid upto:________________

DO WE NEED TO FILL THE ABOVE??

3. Nationality :___________________________________

DO WE HAVE TO PUT AMERICAN/NEW ZEALANDER OR OCI FOR THE ABOVE??

Does OCI play a role at all in this :D

Last edited by a moderator: