India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
mangal969 said:
This is right now a grey area.

Here is an excerpt from what the State department thinks:
Presently, the Government of India offers a special visa for “Persons of Indian Origin” (PIO). It is contemplated that OCI status will be similar to PIO status. At present, the PIO card allows a person to enter and exit the country without a visa for almost any purpose for any period of time, without the requirement of registering with immigration authorities. However, PIOs cannot vote in Indian elections, and are also subject to other restrictions, such as the ability to own certain types of real property in India. The Embassy understands that similar restrictions may apply to OCIs. The Indian government has indicated that a person who applies for OCI status will not be required to take an oath of allegiance to India. Accordingly, at this time, it is not clear whether an OCI would legally be considered a “national” of India.

Any person who is considered to have dual nationality as a citizen of both India and the U.S is subject to all Indian laws. Moreover, a dual national also may be subject to other laws and regulations that impose special obligations on Indian citizens, such as taxation. In some instances such as arrest, dual nationality may hamper U.S. Government efforts to provide assistance abroad. Additional general information about dual nationality is available at http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html.

I think part of the reason the US State department left this generic for the OIC's....GoI seems to miuse the term Dual nationality when the OIC/PIO are not dual nationalities. I wonder if this really applies to OIC's as this is not dual citizenship/nationality for the time being.

Cgsf

Applied on Jan 2nd week 2005. Waited for a year! Received granted/approval notice last week. Will be visiting CFSF on Friday to get the sticker.

krazie said:
csp1 - could you post the relevant dates of your case. Things like when you applied, when your application was granted, when you heard from CGISF regarding the availability of U-sticker etc.

Hi ascretidnew,

Did the OCI of your child was granted on February 2006 as there is not a single applicant in the 2006 list (Chicago consulate website) whose application was granted as per the online status inquiry on January 2006 (I have checked it by putting the file nos)? Actually, I am one of the January 2006 granted applicant still waiting to hear from the Chicago consulate.... Please respond.

OCI Card/Sticker

I wonder how long it takes for the OCI Card/Sticker to arrive from New Delhi once they have been sent to the Indian Consulate in the USA through GOI Courier Service?

Oci

ANybody any news about HCI wellington NZ issuing OCI. Its already page 120 I hope i get it before 125

OCICHICAGO said:
Hi ascretidnew,

Did the OCI of your child was granted on February 2006 as there is not a single applicant in the 2006 list (Chicago consulate website) whose application was granted as per the online status inquiry on January 2006 (I have checked it by putting the file nos)? Actually, I am one of the January 2006 granted applicant still waiting to hear from the Chicago consulate.... Please respond.

Hi OCICHICAGO,

Just wanted to let you know ...I emailed the Chicago consulate asking for a status. Of course, did not hear from them ...will keep you posted.

Krutika said:
Hi OCICHICAGO,

Just wanted to let you know ...I emailed the Chicago consulate asking for a status. Of course, did not hear from them ...will keep you posted.

Thanks Krutika for the information. Same with me here - both e-mailed

and faxed, but did not get any reply yet. However, will post as soon I

receive any response from the Chicago consulate.

Krutika & OCICHICAGO,
If your status is alreay 'granted' from what i hear you can do nothing except wait.They will not respond and if at all they do they will blame it on the MHA/MOIA in India and ask for your patience.What you can do is contact Mr Kaniyal and see what he has to say.

Response from MEA regarding my pending application

I had emailed MEA requesting for the status of my daughter's application filed during Jan 2005 at CG SanFrancisco (Online status says "Granted Jan 12th). I got a response from MEA this morning stating that scanned photo sent by CG SFO was not clear and MEA has requested the consulate to re-scan it. Hence the delay.

lcauser said:
I had emailed MEA requesting for the status of my daughter's application filed during Jan 2005 at CG SanFrancisco (Online status says "Granted Jan 12th). I got a response from MEA this morning stating that scanned photo sent by CG SFO was not clear and MEA has requested the consulate to re-scan it. Hence the delay.

Could you please give me mea e-mail id--wot is mea? I applied in NZ will that e-mail id be helpful to find my status.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indian4 said:
Could you please give me mea e-mail id--wot is mea? I applied in NZ will that e-mail id be helpful to find my status.
MEA is ministry of external affairs.i doubt they can help you much until the embassy sends your form in which case your online status will change.

lcauser said:

Hello Icauser,

Can you please post the e-mail address of MEA from where you got the reponse. Thanks

OCICHICAGO said:
Hi ascretidnew,

Yes. OCI for my child was granted on 1st Feb 2006 as per MHA Online Status.
FYI The reference number assigned during online registration part A still says File Number doesn't exist. I got a different number from Chicago Consulate along with the receipt which gave the Granted status.

It's come!!!

OCICHICAGO said:
Thanks Krutika for the information. Same with me here - both e-mailed

and faxed, but did not get any reply yet. However, will post as soon I

receive any response from the Chicago consulate.

Hey OCI,

Let me be the first to tell you! Check out the Chicago consulate site ...new numbers have been put up and I can see mine and my husbands - you should see yours also!! ALL THE BEST!

Whew :)

Time to deliver.

Looking at the Chicago site, it has OCIs dating from "Granted" on 10 Jan to 16 Feb.

This indicates a delivery time of 2-8 weeks from "Granted".

Chicago seems to be doing well. The other consulates have still not delivered applications from 2004.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got the OCI booklet and U visa from CGSF for my family. The whole process took less than 5 minutes.

csp1 said:
Applied on Jan 2nd week 2005. Waited for a year! Received granted/approval notice last week. Will be visiting CFSF on Friday to get the sticker.

PIO1 said:
Looking at the Chicago site, it has OCIs dating from "Granted" on 10 Jan to 16 Feb.

This indicates a delivery time of 2-8 weeks from "Granted".

Chicago seems to be doing well. The other consulates have still not delivered applications from 2004.

Chicago and SF are doing well.No one i know has applied from Washington :).
Houston is doing Ok and New York is asleep :mad: