India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Indian4 said:
It was there but not the last 2 lines about 2004 applicants. SO mangal did the NY guys contact u for the ceremony?? As they dont hav a list on the website.

If wishes were horses.....:)
I am unfortunately not yet on the MHA 'Granted" list.My application is still not with the CGNY according to the website (Application not....concern mission) :)

viveaga1 said:
Guru's could you please respond ASAP. I have an Interview.

I need immediate help:

For a Indian Citizen by birth and US Citizen.
1. What an US Citizen cannot do in India, other then Voting Rights ?

2. Can US Citizen hold OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) can buy and own any Business, Be Partner in an business, other then Real Estate ?

Thanks

Vive
1.As a US citizen you are on par with a foreigner in India.Refer to the chart on the MHA's "dual citizenship" page for details.

2.You can do whatever NRI's do-I think partnership is allowed but owning may not be.You can also own a real estate partnership

Last edited by a moderator:
genesis1 said:
krishnan1, since you were awarded "Granted" status on Feb 10, 2006, are you among the invitees for the Ballroom presentation of OCI cards?
Keep us informed of your progress.
Thanks

I have not yet been contacted by the CGI NY. My application incidentally was granted on Feb 14. Will keep the forum informed if things change.

95 2006 applicants of SF consulate have their OCI cards ready (applied from 17th Jan onwards).The list is on the CGISF website.

romit said:
I am now really suspicious about my application. I have applied via CGISF. Reference numbers with much higher serial number than mine have been granted and mine says, not yet registered. Doesn't make any sense and as usual they won't say anything about it even after sending multiple emails.

Is there any option of suing these people?

Suddenly my reference number shows "Granted". Yahooooooooooooooo!

romit said:
Well done.

So it seems to be taking about 4 weeks to go from "Granted" to getting the OCI? Does this sound right?

PIO1 said:
Well done.

So it seems to be taking about 4 weeks to go from "Granted" to getting the OCI? Does this sound right?
I'm "granted"!

My journey so far:

First Application: 30 Nov 04
Application Returned: 15 Feb 06
Application Resubmited: 16 Feb 06
OCI "Under Process": 24 Feb 06
OCI "Granted": 1 Mar 06
OCI Received by consulate: ????
OCI In my hands: ????

Cgisf

Congrats! As somebody posted earlier, some applications which were "Granted" in February are ready with U-Sticker/cards etc. The list is on cgisf's website. Even though my application was granted on 24-Jan-06, my name is not on the list!

romit said:

Cgisf

csp1 - could you post the relevant dates of your case. Things like when you applied, when your application was granted, when you heard from CGISF regarding the availability of U-sticker etc.

csp1 said:
I am visiting CGSF on Friday to get my OCI & U visa sticker. Will update the board on my experience. I am glad that I got a prompt reply within 2 hours for a request for an appointment on Friday

CGISF approvals

mangal969 said:
95 2006 applicants of SF consulate have their OCI cards ready (applied from 17th Jan onwards).The list is on the CGISF website.

the cgisf website states the list is for those who applied after 17 Jan "2005", not 2006 - good chance they are all older 2005 cases. Still, CGISF has started to stir.... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Rajax said:
the cgisf website states the list is for those who applied after 17 Jan "2005", not 2006 - good chance they are all older 2005 cases. Still, CGISF has started to stir.... :D

You are mistaken Rajax, there is also a list of approved 2006 applicants on the website.

Has any 2006 applicant received their OCi card as yet ? If so when did you apply and at which embassy ??

Also for people who have 'granted' status what is your status ? What are the embassies saying ??

Thanks

mangal969 said:
Has any 2006 applicant received their OCi card as yet ? If so when did you apply and at which embassy ??

Also for people who have 'granted' status what is your status ? What are the embassies saying ??

Thanks
I applied on Jan 14 and recv the OCI card on Feb 27 for my minor kid. The consulate is Chicago.

Will the US Govt. come to the rescue of an OCI

Normally, when a US citizen gets into trouble abroad/gets kidnapped/arrested, the US govt. tries to intervene and help out that person.

If an OCI gets into trouble in India, will the US Govt. offer same level of service/protection?

OR

Wash their hands off saying that the person is a dual citizen?

mangal969 said:

Thanks

Embassy told me not to contact them even if it says granted. They'll call me they said. (I think it will take at least 4 weeks from granted to see the card)

ladude said:
Normally, when a US citizen gets into trouble abroad/gets kidnapped/arrested, the US govt. tries to intervene and help out that person.

If an OCI gets into trouble in India, will the US Govt. offer same level of service/protection?

OR

Wash their hands off saying that the person is a dual citizen?

This is right now a grey area.

Here is an excerpt from what the State department thinks:
Presently, the Government of India offers a special visa for “Persons of Indian Origin” (PIO). It is contemplated that OCI status will be similar to PIO status. At present, the PIO card allows a person to enter and exit the country without a visa for almost any purpose for any period of time, without the requirement of registering with immigration authorities. However, PIOs cannot vote in Indian elections, and are also subject to other restrictions, such as the ability to own certain types of real property in India. The Embassy understands that similar restrictions may apply to OCIs. The Indian government has indicated that a person who applies for OCI status will not be required to take an oath of allegiance to India. Accordingly, at this time, it is not clear whether an OCI would legally be considered a “national” of India.

Any person who is considered to have dual nationality as a citizen of both India and the U.S is subject to all Indian laws. Moreover, a dual national also may be subject to other laws and regulations that impose special obligations on Indian citizens, such as taxation. In some instances such as arrest, dual nationality may hamper U.S. Government efforts to provide assistance abroad. Additional general information about dual nationality is available at http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html.

asecretidnew said:
I applied on Jan 14 and recv the OCI card on Feb 27 for my minor kid. The consulate is Chicago.

Looks like the Chicago consulate seems to be on top of things compared to other CGI's in the US.