India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
fitness99 said:
I don't understand why the GoI does not computer print the details in the passport/PIO/OIC when they charge so much money...they still handwrite...and with several corrections....even my PIO card has smudged/corrected information in it....maybe they can buy some printers and computers....I am sure they will get a good deal! :D

After i get my oci im gonna donate them a seal"high commission of india" with no "h" missing in it :D -- wot, it will cost may be $2 thats pathetic that they still use that seal when we r on fast track in computers, satellite, pharma,nanotechnology,nuke technology and space research with country doing 7.5 gdp. Makes me go scratching :confused:

fitness99 said:
I don't understand why the GoI does not computer print the details in the passport/PIO/OIC when they charge so much money...they still handwrite...and with several corrections....even my PIO card has smudged/corrected information in it....maybe they can buy some printers and computers....I am sure they will get a good deal! :D
Reminds me that a relative had an Indian passport. They laminated it, but forgot to write her name first. So they put an amendment on another page. Now whenever she needs to copy the first page, she needs to copy both!

PIO1 said:
Reminds me that a relative had an Indian passport. They laminated it, but forgot to write her name first. So they put an amendment on another page. Now whenever she needs to copy the first page, she needs to copy both!

It is very sad. I remember my first passport, I could hardly read my name ...a scribble written by hand...the second one was a little better but with mistakes from CGI Houston. With the amount they are charging, I wish they had some computers/printers and quality control :p

Indian4 said:
After i get my oci im gonna donate them a seal"high commission of india" with no "h" missing in it :D -- wot, it will cost may be $2 thats pathetic that they still use that seal when we r on fast track in computers, satellite, pharma,nanotechnology,nuke technology and space research with country doing 7.5 gdp. Makes me go scratching :confused:

You'd better start the procedure for donating the stamp :p ....Probably take you over a year to to be able to make the donation since i am sure some acts of parliament would have to be amended to make the donation legal :D .
Maybe you can convince them to get the president to sign an ordinance...that might make it faster ;)
I had a rather heated conversation with a guy at CGINY.He "clarified" to me that "Granted" status on the OCI website only means that the form has been received by the MHA in India i.e Granted means the embassies have sent it to the MHA.Your application is approved when you get your OCI card :confused: .

mangal969 said:
You'd better start the procedure for donating the stamp :p ....Probably take you over a year to to be able to make the donation since i am sure some acts of parliament would have to be amended to make the donation legal :D .
Maybe you can convince them to get the president to sign an ordinance...that might make it faster ;)
I had a rather heated conversation with a guy at CGINY.He "clarified" to me that "Granted" status on the OCI website only means that the form has been received by the MHA in India i.e Granted means the embassies have sent it to the MHA.Your application is approved when you get your OCI card :confused: .

Looks like that guy at the CGINY needs some english lessons (to understand the meaning of granted!) :D

fitness99 said:
Looks like that guy at the CGINY needs some english lessons (to understand the meaning of granted!) :D

Well he needs an english lesson for "GRANTED" and the whole GOI needs a lesson in english on "DUAL CITIZENSHIP"

1 entry found for dual citizenship.
Main Entry: dual citizenship
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: the state of being a citizen of two or more two countries concurrently

I should appreciate GOI for investing their time in finding this english word out of the dictionary

Main Entry: mis·no·mer
Pronunciation: "mis-'nO-m&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Anglo-French mesnomer, from mesnomer to misname, from Middle French mes- wrongly + nommer to name, from Latin nominare, from nomin- nomen name
: the misnaming of a person in a legal document or proceeding (as in a complaint or indictment); specifically : the institution of proceedings against and service of process on the correct party using the incorrect name —compare

Looks like we need to boil the whole country to remove all the dirt and sterilise the country :D

mangal969 said:

haha thats a good one mangal lucky I didnt try to send a seal or else that wud hav bcom my OCI project 2 :D so granted i.e forwarded as per GOI :mad:

mangal969 said:
What has tax and revenue got to do any of this ????? :confused:
According to what you say the amount of tax you pay is the standard for determining a persons nationality.....?
You are complaining about paying taxes without nationality rights....Please remember that the tax is on the money you have earned in that country using that infrastructure and the facilities offered by that country.Live and earn in India and the UK will not charge you a pence in tax !
So if you really do want to sit and calculate tax contribution also factor in how much you earned in each country and the oppurtunities given to you.
Amount of tax you pay does not determine ones nationality but it does determine the type of service the govt. can provide you. You pay the indian govt. < $1000 (OCI application fees)and expect prompt service but pay brit govt. several thousand pounds and yet you are ready to wait for 4 yrs. True major part of the tax amount is used in infrastructure building but immigration has never been a service for fees facility in any country. Immigration depts. always suck money from the general tax base.

basis said:
What nonsense !!!!! OK I try to make sense out of this junk...

Calculated my tax contributions to UK and convert to Rupees. I have also converted the income and savings I made here.

OK tax is about 3 times the amount I have paid in india and savings are about 15 times. And why should i have a right to get UK PR when I came here???? I did not go there from day one to get PR. Eventually when i became elgible I applied for it. When I became eligible to apply for it - they did it on same day (within the norms they made known to public). I could have waited for six months if it was the norm that they published.

Here as well - after OCI you have to wait for 5 years to regain Indian citizenship. I have no complaints on that. On OCI GOI have set the norms, I have followed and complied with all the norms, fit in the rules set by them, made application according to their requirements alongwith the fees. Now they need to process it as per their committement. I have paid more amout to GOI for farcical PIO and OCI than the amount paid for british citizenship.

And again as a brit if I got the US, Germany, France, Aus and any other nation and acquire the other nationality - I dont loose the British nationality. What about that ? but as per indian laws I loose Indian nationality. That's a set rule and I respect and follow that. I dont shout why dont you follow Brit example.

Anyways - your rubbish makes me think that you are actually not in the US. but somewhere in India and it is sour grapes that's biting you.
OK here is the summary of your info:
For Brit perm. residency -- 4 yrs. + 3 * indian taxes + several 100 pounds app. fee

For Indian perm residency(OCI) -- uncertain timeframe(less than 1yr) + 0 taxes + >$1K app. fee

Judge for yourself which is a better deal. Dual citizenship is another issue and I have already lost that argument. Indian laws do not permit dual citizenship, thats bad.

BTW I am in the US. I wouldn't waste my time on this forum if I was in India!

PIO1 said:
mangal, basis, others, just chill. Hipka likes to take his frustration out in this forum. Easiest to agree. Yes GoI has the best service by far. And I am so greatful for waiting for 15 months, and having my application returned. It gives me the opportunity to go for another 6 month visa while I wait! WOW now I will have three India stickers in my passport. Makes me feel so patriotic. Thank you Hipka for showing me the light.
Ha ha, you are right. You should also appreciate the brit. govt. for making you wait 4 yrs, squeezing out taxes and making sure you earn less than a local with your qualifications and capabilities. Thats wonderful service indeed.

Indian4 said:
HI basis please do not waste your time and effort on the silly-billy(hipka). We are here to help each other by sharing as much info possible about OCI. This whole forum is taking a twist for the last 3-4 days because of her :D "Hipka's ignorance and disrespect for others". Mangal, Pio, Basis, Qwert, OCIGUY and fitness keep doing ur good work.
Not really I appreciate their contribution to this forum. They have provided a wealth of useful info. However they make incorrect comparisions between GoI immigration services (rotten apples) and US, UK immigration services (rotten oranges). According to them rotten apples taste bad but rotten oranges are sweet! I have been consistently arguing against this habit of NRI's

hipka said:
OK here is the summary of your info:
For Brit perm. residency -- 4 yrs. + 3 * indian taxes + several 100 pounds app. fee

For Indian perm residency(OCI) -- uncertain timeframe(less than 1yr) + 0 taxes + >$1K app. fee

Judge for yourself which is a better deal. Dual citizenship is another issue and I have already lost that argument. Indian laws do not permit dual citizenship, thats bad.

BTW I am in the US. I wouldn't waste my time on this forum if I was in India!

Summary is wrong. Despite other's advice I will try to correct you -

For Brit perm resi. - 1 day after qualification - (15* Indian savings) + few 100 GBP fees - no hassles / confusion in application process - full UK citizenship in one year (which gives visa free entry to many countries)

For indian PR / Visa / Dual Citizenship / xyz - Chaos and confusion + Need to be of Indian Origin + Need to be of a nationality which allows dual citizenship + few 100 GBP fees + five years for full Indian citizenship (provided you are ready to loose your current citizenship - only fools will do that)

Of course five year old kid will also say british PR is better. i dont understand the whole tax issue. I pay three times the Indian tax because I earn so many times my Indian earnings. If I had earned same money in India I would have paid similar taxes there. And in the UK - your spouse whether working or not gets automatically PR. OCI is not available for spouse unless she can satisfy OCI conditions on her own. So in case of spouse tax does not arise.

And let me again try to say that British citizens whether they go and acquire any other citizenship do not have to apply for UK Permanent Residence. here we are telling people who were Indian citizens to apply for indian visa / PR / or whatever you call this scheme.

i would not put my money on the bet that you would understand this before GOI improves.

hipka said:
Not really I appreciate their contribution to this forum. They have provided a wealth of useful info. However they make incorrect comparisions between GoI immigration services (rotten apples) and US, UK immigration services (rotten oranges). According to them rotten apples taste bad but rotten oranges are sweet! I have been consistently arguing against this habit of NRI's

UK imiigration so much better..........i dont mind paying my taxes and fees there at all.

india GOI services and treatment --- worst in the world.

basis said:
Summary is wrong. Despite other's advice I will try to correct you -

For Brit perm resi. - 1 day after qualification - (15* Indian savings) + few 100 GBP fees - no hassles / confusion in application process - full UK citizenship in one year (which gives visa free entry to many countries)

For indian PR / Visa / Dual Citizenship / xyz - Chaos and confusion + Need to be of Indian Origin + Need to be of a nationality which allows dual citizenship + few 100 GBP fees + five years for full Indian citizenship (provided you are ready to loose your current citizenship - only fools will do that)

Of course five year old kid will also say british PR is better. i dont understand the whole tax issue. I pay three times the Indian tax because I earn so many times my Indian earnings. If I had earned same money in India I would have paid similar taxes there. And in the UK - your spouse whether working or not gets automatically PR. OCI is not available for spouse unless she can satisfy OCI conditions on her own. So in case of spouse tax does not arise.

And let me again try to say that British citizens whether they go and acquire any other citizenship do not have to apply for UK Permanent Residence. here we are telling people who were Indian citizens to apply for indian visa / PR / or whatever you call this scheme.

i would not put my money on the bet that you would understand this before GOI improves.

OK reposting the summary on your terms:
For Brit perm resi. 4yrs qualification time + 1 day after qualification + (15* Indian savings) + few 100 GBP fees - no hassles / confusion in application process

For indian PR - Chaos and confusion + Need to be of Indian Origin + Need to be of a nationality which allows dual citizenship + few 100 GBP fees

Citizenship laws are pretty bad in India, I already told that in the previous post why keep repeating? I don't see how waiting for 4 years in uncertainty can be attractive to a 5 yr old.

When you are conceding that you pay 3 times more in UK why do you expect the same level of service in India?

basis said:
UK imiigration so much better..........i dont mind paying my taxes and fees there at all.

india GOI services and treatment --- worst in the world.
All right have fun with rotten oranges!

hipka said:
I have never compared India to UK or US. In fact, How do you know I am not from the democratic republic of the Congo? We have monkeys behind the counter here and despite getting better service (a visa costs 2 coconuts) I don't compare it at all with GoI!

hipka said:
OK reposting the summary on your terms:
For Brit perm resi. 4yrs qualification time + 1 day after qualification + (15* Indian savings) + few 100 GBP fees - no hassles / confusion in application process

For indian PR - Chaos and confusion + Need to be of Indian Origin + Need to be of a nationality which allows dual citizenship + few 100 GBP fees

Citizenship laws are pretty bad in India, I already told that in the previous post why keep repeating? I don't see how waiting for 4 years in uncertainty can be attractive to a 5 yr old.

When you are conceding that you pay 3 times more in UK why do you expect the same level of service in India?

When getting PR after 4 years is so certain - I dont see where 'waiting for 4 years in uncertainty' comes from.

I would have paid same taxes whether in India or in the UK or Turkmenistan based on the amount of money I earned. And implicit in your own statement -'why do you expect the same level of service in India' is the acknowledegement that Indian service is not of the same level in the UK.

Now if we want to go down that route then in India good skilled labour is so cheap that with much tax revenue much better services can be given. That's why whole world is looking at India for outsourcing. That's why private organisations are giving so good service in India. GOI should be able to manage much better service with the revenue they get.

5 year old kid can understand and appreciate all this very well.

press release from cgi ny (dated 27th Feb)

The Consulate General of India, New York will be holding a ceremony on Tuesday, 28 February, 2006 at 1130 hours to hand over the first batch of Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) certificates and U-visas, received from the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs, New Delhi, to the applicants personally by the Consul General of India. The event will be organized in the Ballroom of the Consulate General of India, New York.

hipka said:
All right have fun with rotten oranges!

If you call best quality alphonso mangoes as rotten oranges then i will enjoy them. And will encourage others to enjoy it as well. After all Shakespear has said - "What's in a name? That which we call a rose. By any other word would smell as sweet."

by the way you have found good name for GOI services - rotten apples. I am sure will be voted by overwhelming majority on the board.

http://pib.nic.in/release/release.asp?relid=15762

Persons of Indian Origin of all countries, except Pakistan and Bangladesh who fulfill certain conditions, are eligible to apply and become Overseas Citizens of India (OCI). OCIs are entitled to multiple-entry, multi-purpose, life-long visas with no requirement of registration with police. Hence they can live and work in India or in the country of their naturalization. OCIs are not entitled to hold constitutional posts and employment in the Government. They are however eligible to work in the private sector. OCIs enjoy parity with NRIs in respect of economic, financial and educational fields except in relation to acquisition of agricultural or plantation properties.

A proposal to grant voting rights to Indian citizens who are not ordinarily resident in India on account of employment, education or otherwise has been approved by the Government. The facility will meet a long-standing demand of Indian workers in the Gulf who take up employment there on a contract basis and cannot be naturalized in the countries they work. The facility will be granted after Parliament approves the necessary amendments to the Representation of the People Act. A Bill in this regard is expected to be introduced in the current session of Parliament.

Both OCI and grant of voting rights are part of Government’s efforts to promote a broader and stronger engagement with the Indian diaspora.

This information was given by Shri Vayalar Ravi, Minister in the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs in reply to a question by Shri Pankaj Chowdhary, Shri Eknath M. Gaikwad, Smt. Nivedita Mane and Shri Kirti Vardhan Singh.

AK/SK/JA