India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
CGINY is having a ceremony on Feb 28th at 11.30 to distribute the first batch of OCI cards.There's no list of who is getting the cards though.

hipka,the comparisons you are making do have some truth in them but they are largely unjustified.The GoI could have charged 1275 instead of 275 if they wanted to.That is not the point.
The reason for the frustration here is the GoI promises a processing time of 10 working days (which no one forced on them) but they are unable to do so.The GoI has also been napping on the OCI cards issue-no one can justify the delay inspite of them having a month to prepare.
Neither the USCIS nor the British PR issuers promise such a processing time limit.GoI is not coming good on it's own words.
Also the GoI is earning a lot of revenue from the OCI project.I can assure you that their costs are well below USD275 per OCI application.

basis said:
If you call best quality alphonso mangoes as rotten oranges then i will enjoy them. And will encourage others to enjoy it as well. After all Shakespear has said - "What's in a name? That which we call a rose. By any other word would smell as sweet."

by the way you have found good name for GOI services - rotten apples. I am sure will be voted by overwhelming majority on the board.
Alphonso mangoes!! Wonder why so many brit indians are dying to come to the US and endure the other rotten orange. Maybe they don't like alphonso!

Cgisf

Hello Akkcausa,

Congrats on getting your oci card. I do hope the errors on your card will be easily corrected. Can you share some information about your application. Specifically (a) when did you apply (b) when and how did you hear back from CGISF regarding the next steps with your application (c) Besides sending in the application what else did you have to do to get CGISF to give you the OCI card.

I applied around January 12 and my application is in "Granted" state right now. However, I have not received any communication from CGISF at all. I am beginning to wonder if I should email/call them for my status.

Thanks in advance!

akkcausa said:
The OCI Cards are computer printed and they actually look professional. But someone has been careless in the work - maybe it was the 'sudden awakening' and trying to process 2000+ applications in a rush...

The other information I came to know was that of the 2000+ US/Canada 2004 applicantions, about 400 have been returned for allegedly not having required information - that is about 20%!

(a) when did you apply

December 2004

(b) when and how did you hear back from CGISF regarding the next steps with your application

Only when they put up names on the website. All other attempts did not get any information.

(c) Besides sending in the application what else did you have to do to get CGISF to give you the OCI card.

Try sending an email to usnri@mea.gov.in for status. 2004 cards were sent by MEA on Feb 6th but CGI SFO put up names only around Feb 20. So there may be some gaps between receipt of cards and actual distribution.

Cgisf

Thanks for your prompt reply Akkcausa. I appreciate it!

akkcausa said:
(a) when did you apply

December 2004

(b) when and how did you hear back from CGISF regarding the next steps with your application

Only when they put up names on the website. All other attempts did not get any information.

(c) Besides sending in the application what else did you have to do to get CGISF to give you the OCI card.

Try sending an email to usnri@mea.gov.in for status. 2004 cards were sent by MEA on Feb 6th but CGI SFO put up names only around Feb 20. So there may be some gaps between receipt of cards and actual distribution.

Hi Mangal

This is wot I found on the hci nz website. looks like at last they caught up with the process of OCI--may be woke up from their dream. They finally got some OCI fro 2004 app, please refer the website's comment below. Well I can see the light at the end of the tunnel hope its not a train :D

REGISTRATION PROCESS FOR OCI HAS STARTED. AS PER NEW GUIDELINES, OCI APPLICATIONS WILL BE PROCESSED AND OCI CERTIFICATES WILL BE ISSUED FROM INDIA. HIGH COMMISSION OF INDIA WELLINGTON WILL THEREFORE, NOT BE IN A POSITION TO INDICATE TIME FRAME FOR GRANT OF OCI CERTIFICATES. APPLICANTS ARE ADVISED TO PLAN THEIR TRAVEL ACCORDINGLY. OCI CERTIFICATES HAVE BEEN RECEIVED IN CASE OF SOME OF APPLICANTS WHO APPLIED IN NOVEMBER-2004. THEY HAVE BEEN CONTACTED.

Cgsf

I am visiting CGSF on Friday to get my OCI & U visa sticker. Will update the board on my experience. I am glad that I got a prompt reply within 2 hours for a request for an appointment on Friday

Last edited by a moderator:
hipka said:
Alphonso mangoes!! Wonder why so many brit indians are dying to come to the US and endure the other rotten orange. Maybe they don't like alphonso!

what a joke .........so many brit indians dying to come to the US. indians are the highest in non-native brit population. in UK you dont feel you r out of india - there are so many Indians in all parts of the country happily settled. U lost all the arguments and now coming up with some irrelevant points. how does brits coming to US compare the immigration systems. There are USCs coming to Britain and rest of the Europe. People will flow as per the professional opportunities.

Let's look at it this way .........there are atleast so many of us who are ok with the US / UK systems. But there is none with GOI. Now if you say we should not expect same or near level service from GOI that we expect from US / UK then fine. I can understand that. Because that in turn means GOI service is not and may not ever come upto the standards elsewhere.....

I know answers to my questions are buried somewhere in the thread

Documentation for OCI appln @ Houston, family of FOUR:

Forms in Duplicate - Two Original Forms
Five photos

Notarized first page of the following documents:
Copy of US Passport
Copy of PIO Card
Copy of Indian Passport - Parents
Copy of US Birth Certificate - Child
Of course the FEEE

Did I miss anything?

Questions I have are:
Do we have to submit the above documentation individually with each application form resulting in two copies total for each applicant?
Does the second copy also needs to be notarized?

Thanks for your response.

needurhelp said:

Five photos

Copy of US Passport
Copy of PIO Card
Of course the FEEE

Did I miss anything?

Questions I have are:
Do we have to submit the above documentation individually with each application form resulting in two copies total for each applicant?

I think you have everything listed that is needed. It is 2 copies for each applicant. I got the first copy notarized, and made a copy of that for the second one. It does not hurt to get both copies notarized if you want to. Good luck.

cgi NY

krishnan1, since you were awarded "Granted" status on Feb 10, 2006, are you among the invitees for the Ballroom presentation of OCI cards?
Keep us informed of your progress.
Thanks

Thanks for the prompt feedback

Now that would be funny if they want the copy of the notarized copies specially if it is done by the notary who has the notary stamp which creates impression on the paper rather than the one with ink. :)

Well, I'll get both the copies notarized. Thanks again.

Recv the OCI

I finally got the OCI card for my minor kid. But as expected there were mistakes. They did this before to my Indian passport too. I guess I will have to send it back to get it corrected.

I would recommend sending in 3 additional photos for each person. i.e 2 pasted on the applications and additonal 3 photos for each application. (Total of 8 per applicant)

For me, I got an email from Houston to send in additional 3 photos. No point taking chances with Houston folks... :mad:

needurhelp said:

Five photos

Copy of US Passport
Copy of PIO Card
Of course the FEEE

Did I miss anything?

Questions I have are:

asecretidnew said:
I finally got the OCI card for my minor kid. But as expected there were mistakes. They did this before to my Indian passport too. I guess I will have to send it back to get it corrected.

Which consulate did you get the OCI card from...thanks

Question

Folks -

My wife and I will be naturalized on march 3 in LA oath ceremony. So, what next? Couple of questions:

1. What do we do with Indian passport?
2. Do we need to write to Indian consulate stating that we have become US citizens and hence we are surrendering Indian citizenship and passport?
3. Am I missing anything else with respect to Indian citizenship?

thanks for your advise ..ram

rravisha said:
Folks -

My wife and I will be naturalized on march 3 in LA oath ceremony. So, what next? Couple of questions:

1. What do we do with Indian passport?
2. Do we need to write to Indian consulate stating that we have become US citizens and hence we are surrendering Indian citizenship and passport?
3. Am I missing anything else with respect to Indian citizenship?

thanks for your advise ..ram

Congratulations !

You need to send your passports to the Indian consulate with a letter and a copy of your naturalisation certificate and a self addressed and stamped envelope.They will cancel your passports and send them back to you.

Then apply for OCI and join the club
;)

Indian4 said:
Hi Mangal

This is wot I found on the hci nz website. looks like at last they caught up with the process of OCI--may be woke up from their dream. They finally got some OCI fro 2004 app, please refer the website's comment below. Well I can see the light at the end of the tunnel hope its not a train :D

REGISTRATION PROCESS FOR OCI HAS STARTED. AS PER NEW GUIDELINES, OCI APPLICATIONS WILL BE PROCESSED AND OCI CERTIFICATES WILL BE ISSUED FROM INDIA. HIGH COMMISSION OF INDIA WELLINGTON WILL THEREFORE, NOT BE IN A POSITION TO INDICATE TIME FRAME FOR GRANT OF OCI CERTIFICATES. APPLICANTS ARE ADVISED TO PLAN THEIR TRAVEL ACCORDINGLY. OCI CERTIFICATES HAVE BEEN RECEIVED IN CASE OF SOME OF APPLICANTS WHO APPLIED IN NOVEMBER-2004. THEY HAVE BEEN CONTACTED.

Wasnt this announcement up ages ago ? I remember reading it before.

mangal969 said:
Wasnt this announcement up ages ago ? I remember reading it before.

It was there but not the last 2 lines about 2004 applicants. SO mangal did the NY guys contact u for the ceremony?? As they dont hav a list on the website.

US Citizen - Limitation in India for Indian holding OCI

Guru's could you please respond ASAP. I have an Interview.

I need immediate help:

For a Indian Citizen by birth and US Citizen.
1. What an US Citizen cannot do in India, other then Voting Rights ?

2. Can US Citizen hold OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) can buy and own any Business, Be Partner in an business, other then Real Estate ?

Thanks

Vive