Incorrect Information On Immigration Record

arkangl72

Registered Users (C)
During my citizenship interview the interviewer was trying to complete my application acceptance in their computer when he noticed that the system indicated that I had been deported, and under his breath he had said for homicide. Now I have never been deported or have committed any type of crime worse than a speeding ticket, and I have the background checks to prove it. Even he said it had to be a mistake in their system. He placed an administrative checks hold on my application and stated it would take about a week to clear up. My question is has anyone ever had a situation where there was incorrect deportation or criminal information which surfaced in their interview, and how did this effect their timeline for receiving their citizenship?

Mix ups, although rare, can occur. Did the IO conclude the interview and hand you an interview results letter, or did he say you'll have to return for another interview.?

He said that I had passed the test and that he would have to investigate the record error. I received an interview results letter which stated that I would receive a written decision from USCIS and to follow the instructions one the WR-821 form. The WR-821 form stated that " No further action on your part is required at this time. Upon receipt of the below checked boxes,your application can be acted upon". Now the only box checked on that is labeled as Other. It has FOR ADMINISTRATIVE CHECKS listed as the reason. The IO was noticeably puzzled when he saw the information on his computer, and kept on rifling through my file and looking back at his computer. He said a couple of times that it's a mistake,but he had to investigate it before he can approve the file. I did hear him mention two specific dates 5/17/2008 and 12/21/2010. I can only assume that the first date may have been the date of when the person who actually committed the crime was convicted and the second date may have been when they were released and deported. Now this is pure speculation on my part, but that could provide some explanation on the dates. I have had two background checks for employment conducted during that time period which were clean, and although I didn't the results of the check conducted as part of my citizenship application, I know that is has to be clean also.

Since you know that you were never charged/arrested/convicted of homicide you have nothing to worry about. It's obvious there was a mix up in your case files. No need to worry ..just be patient and you'll get your approval soon.

Thanks. That's what I keep telling myself but until I'm actually holding up my right hand and taking the oath, there will be that lingering doubt in the back of my mind.

maybe you shared a name with someone who got deported for homicide?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that the thought that I did anything wrong, but the thought that they can't resolve the issue and my application gets lost in the bureaucracy of the immigration system.

120 days after the interview, you get the right to file 1447(b) to force them to decide the case. So if you are willing to do that, your case won't be stuck forever in a black hole.

Follow Up

Two months now and no response regarding my case. I tried to purchase a firearm and was notified by the DOJ that I was restricted from purchasing a firearm due to my immigration status. They informed me that I was subject for removal. With that said I can only think that I cannot even travel out of the country or I will be denied re-entry into the US. I have set up an infopass interview to try and resolve the issue.