Immigration Service fingerprints of greencard holders at airport,Greencard rights are protected

Nicejoe

Registered Users (C)
I read online Immigration Service starts to fingerprint greencard holders with US-VISIT program when green card holders arrive at airport from oversea. Every greencard holder has to fingerprint themself at customs. If there is an issue, they may detain the greencard holders for questioning.

If immigration officers found out the greencard holders have some small issues like traffic tickets, pretty offenses, what they do? How they can judge a case on the spot based on complicated immigration law? Are they capable to differentiate a guy with minor offense with a guy who have major immigration issues? it makes me worried about greencard holders' rights.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they found out the greencard holders have some small issues like traffic tickets, pretty offenses, what they do? How they can judge a case on the spot based on complicated immigration law? Are they capable to make right judgment on the spot?

What are you talking about?

I read online Immigration Service starts to fingerprint greencard holders with US-VISIT program when green card holders arrive at airport from oversea. Every greencard holder has to fingerprint themself at customs. If there is an issue, they may detain the greencard holders for questioning.

If immigration officers found out the greencard holders have some small issues like traffic tickets, pretty offenses, what they do? How they can judge a case on the spot based on complicated immigration law? Are they capable to differentiate a guy with minor offense with a guy who have major immigration issues? it makes me worried about greencard holders' rights.

They do not care with traffic violation, or similar offences. Have you been ever finger printed after traffic ticket?
what they care with is the national security issues.

What if someone got arrested for a misdemeanor? It may or may not have immigration consequences. I am worried the customs officer may detain someone by mistake.

What if someone got arrested for a misdemeanor? It may or may not have immigration consequences. I am worried the customs officer may detain someone by mistake.

To the best of my guess, they match the FP to those in data base for national security purpose or those with deportable offences not to those with regular civil problems> but what is deportable and what is regular may need other's feedback if my theory is true to start with

You are right. To reduce the workload and complexity of custom fingerprint process, I think they may just look for people with security issues or deportable offenses.

A misdemeanor is exceptionally unlikely to make you inadmissible, even if you were seeking admission - which you are not, if you have been absent for less than six months.

But I'm unsure why you are worried about fingerprints, when CBP has been checking your name against criminal databases all this time.

Why so worry ?
As soon as you got arrested, they will know your immigration status. Why do they wait until you travel and come to IO booth at the airport, if the arrest matters to them so much ?

My arrest happened before I even got my green card, immigration officers were aware of it. And they approved my green card afterward. Are they gonna question me again at the customs? Are they gonna question everyone whenever they see an arrest on the fingerprint check at the customs? Do I need bring any documents with me?
Thank you for your good advice.

My arrest happened before I even got my green card, immigration officers were aware of it. And they approved my green card afterward. Are they gonna question me again at the customs? Are they gonna question everyone whenever they see an arrest on the fingerprint check at the customs? Do I need bring any documents with me?

Better prepare certified docuemnts as integral part of your green card.

Maybe need it for every return from abroad, every times green card get renewed and the citizenship application. You can only get it over
after becoming a citizen

Right now, they'll probably pull you to a secondary inspection room to do more checks on you as your arrest record probably will show up. I saw that happened to a few people last time when I entered the US for the first time with my GC. I don't think there is anything to worry about here, as sounds like you have everything sorted out. They will just want to make sure that you don't have any arrest warrants etc still pending against you.

With this additional finger printing, you can only hope that they will stop doing this secondary inspection every single time you enter the US.

Stoned!

I don't think there is anything to worry about here, as sounds like you have everything sorted out. They will just want to make sure that you don't have any arrest warrants etc still pending against you.

If an issue did not create trouble with previous immigration benefit request
(like green card was approved with a bad incident on the rap sheet), how can one be sure it will not cause problem later? Does the immigration file have a flag that indicate the old issue has a "resolved" status that suggest the person should let go? I don't think so.

If your original issue does not affect inadmissibility (even if maybe it is deportable) and based upon that your green card was granted, in theory this
should be OK ( 20 I&N dec 598, BIA (1992)

Here is a quote

"In Matter of Rainford, 20 I&N Dec. 598 (BIA 1992), the board of immigration appeals held that when when an alien is deportable but not inadmissible, adjustment of stayus can be approved, and that once the foreign national is admiited to permanent residency, he is not deportable for the act occurring prior to his becoming a permanent resident. However
The foreign national may again make himself deportable by commission of subsequent criminal acts, or other acts that made him deportabkle. Only US citizens are safe from removal".

If an issue did not create trouble with previous immigration benefit request
(like green card was approved with a bad incident on the rap sheet), how can one be sure it will not cause problem later? Does the immigration file have a flag that indicate the old issue has a "resolved" status that suggest the person should let go? I don't think so.

If your original issue does not affect inadmissibility (even if maybe it is deportable) and based upon that your green card was granted, in theory this
should be OK ( 20 I&N dec 598, BIA (1992)

This may be incompletely true, some people get immigration benefit like renewal of visa or GC after an incident and get stuck after that on another benefit because of that old incident. Again, see how much the offense is considered in the eye of immigration and you can not argue “because I got my GC after that, it is already dropped”

This may be incompletely true, some people get immigration benefit like renewal of visa or GC after an incident and get stuck after that on another benefit because of that old incident. Again, see how much the offense is considered in the eye of immigration and you can not argue “because I got my GC after that, it is already dropped”

That is my point. I only say in theory the person should be OK. But every
time when a new benefit is needed, the trouble may start again. It can only be over after getting the citizenship if it can be granted.

This can make life very depressing for some especially if one is a "worryworm".

and how easy it is for USCIS to just say :"We made a mistake in granting your GC in the first place because we did not review your application
very carefully. Now we decide to revoke it".

and how easy it is for USCIS to just say :"We made a mistake in granting your GC in the first place because we did not review your application
very carefully. Now we decide to revoke it".

Well, if your case history is that messy, that could happen at any time (especially when applying for citizenship) and not just while entering the US. As a matter of fact, that could even happen to a person who has had no prior arrest records and just be a victim of a simple confusion. One way or another, I am sure that person would get an opportunity to appeal in court.

Stoned!