I need advice regarding Naturalization

Though we've discussed this to death on this forum, and I think the opinion of most here is that it really is unlikely for you to be asked for your GC during everyday life in most parts of this country except for near the northern and southern border, if you travel, you should consider taking your GC. This is what I did, though only if I traveled for a long time, or went to border areas. The likelihood of you being detained for not having your GC in most places even if you are asked for it is very low. Loss of your GC is more troublesome and expensive.
I guess it depends on which particular area you live or travel at. Carrying GC with you all the time is the law, however I know nobody who complies with that. Personally, I took mine when travelling as a spare id, in a case if I loose my DL in the middle of nowhere. It's a matter of a personal choice and risk, I would say. However, the law is pretty much clear on that.
Remember that you also have the right to refuse to show identification, such as in border areas, especially in the north (like on Amtrak trains if you are not crossing the border). If you have done nothing wrong, you have no obligation to answer when they ask you about your immigration status. Of course, this takes nerves of steel.

When you see the ICE patch on their backs, you'd better comply, I believe. :) No sheriff or local police ever ask you about your immigration status/documents, however you may spend some time behind the bars if they can't positively verify your identity. Also, some states implemented their own immigration law enforcement. You can argue how legal it is for quite a lot of time, when pulled over... Or you can show your GC and keep rolling. Your choice ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Before he was 18, he traveled with me and did not care about taking GCs with us - now he strictly follows the law! No, we are not going close to any border.

Note that the law doesn't require carrying the GC if you're under 18.

It is very understandable to be nervous about having it lost or stolen if you carry it with you, but fortunately you're close enough to naturalization that you don't have to worry about replacing the GC if that happens. Just make sure to file a police report promptly so there is an official record of the loss, and bring the police report to the oath.

Note that the law doesn't require carrying the GC if you're under 18.

It is very understandable to be nervous about having it lost or stolen if you carry it with you, but fortunately you're close enough to naturalization that you don't have to worry about replacing the GC if that happens. Just make sure to file a police report promptly so there is an official record of the loss, and bring the police report to the oath.

Great! This means we can take GCs with us and not be afraid of losing them (of course, I will do my best not to lose any documents)! Thanks - your comment gives me peace of mind!

Great! This means we can take GCs with us and not be afraid of losing them (of course, I will do my best not to lose any documents)! Thanks - your comment gives me peace of mind!

Just try to avoid carrying everything with you at the same time, so that one loss doesn't result in everything being lost. For example, if you're not driving on your vacation, you could carry the GC around but leave the driver's license in the hotel safe.

And don't make the common mistake of carrying around the Social Security card. That should be safely locked up at home or somewhere like a bank safe deposit box.

If your Social Security card still has the "not valid for employment" wording, remember to get it changed to remove that wording after you become a citizen. Although you can get the wording removed now with the GC, you'd have to visit the SS office again to update them with your citizenship status, so if you wait until after the oath you'll only need one visit.

Just try to avoid carrying everything with you at the same time, so that one loss doesn't result in everything being lost. For example, if you're not driving on your vacation, you could carry the GC around but leave the driver's license in the hotel safe.

And don't make the common mistake of carrying around the Social Security card. That should be safely locked up at home or somewhere like a bank safe deposit box.

If your Social Security card still has the "not valid for employment" wording, remember to get it changed to remove that wording after you become a citizen. Although you can get the wording removed now with the GC, you'd have to visit the SS office again to update them with your citizenship status, so if you wait until after the oath you'll only need one visit.

Thanks for good advises. Indeed, I never carry Social Security card with me, and it says, "Valid for employment only with INS authorization", since I came here from the very beginning to work. By the way, I heard that many people change the SSN card as soon as get their Naturalization Certificate. Do I necessarily need to do this as well? And my son? He got his SSN only after the GC, and it does not have any words like "not valid for employment" on it.

By the way, I heard that many people change the SSN card as soon as get their Naturalization Certificate. Do I necessarily need to do this as well? And my son? He got his SSN only after the GC, and it does not have any words like "not valid for employment" on it.

After becoming a citizen, you're supposed to visit a Social Security office to let them know about your citizenship status so they'll update it in their system. If your SS card still has the employment restriction wording because you didn't get it changed with your GC, they'll also issue a new card if you request it.

You don't need to rush to the SS office the next day after the oath, but don't let it wait too long. Until you visit the SSA to notify them of your citizenship, they might still think you're not a citizen, a discrepancy that could cause some trouble the next time you're involved in something where a business or government agency runs checks on you (e.g. renewing driver's license, changing jobs, applying for security clearance).

Others have posted here that SSA employees have told them to wait 30 days after oath to update SS card. Seems reasonable to me.

Others have posted here that SSA employees have told them to wait 30 days after oath to update SS card. Seems reasonable to me.

Thank you very much, Jackolantern and rjackal, - this is something new I have learned today. But why the 30-day period after oath may be needed?

Thank you very much, Jackolantern and rjackal, - this is something new I have learned today. But why the 30-day period after oath may be needed?

SSA will contact USCIS to verify your immigration status before issuing the new card, and if you visit the SSA too soon after your status has changed, the new data might not yet be available to the SSA.

But 30 days is too long. Waiting 10-15 days should be enough.

SSA will contact USCIS to verify your immigration status before issuing the new card, and if you visit the SSA too soon after your status has changed, the new data might not yet be available to the SSA.

But 30 days is too long. Waiting 10-15 days should be enough.

We were told in the ceremony at LA convention center by USCIS official that you go to SSA after 30 days to update your status. Here in this forum few members have gotten updated in a week or so. So I will try going after 7 days and I will post my experience.

We were told in the ceremony at LA convention center by USCIS official that you go to SSA after 30 days to update your status. Here in this forum few members have gotten updated in a week or so. So I will try going after 7 days and I will post my experience.

Yes, please, share your experience with SSA in this thread!

Parking ticket...

Hello. I got a parking $10 ticket today from the University police. The assigned parking lot is under the construction this summer. A few weeks ago I went to the University police and they let me park on a different parking lot, but did not give me any sticker. When they assigned me this new parking lot, they made a note in their system. I thought I would be fine. However, today after the working day I found a ticket on my window shield. First of all, this is just unfair. $10 is not a big deal, I will pay for it to the University, where I work (not to any court, not to the city police). But I am scared, because my oath is coming in a couple of weeks. Should I disclose it and bring the receipt with me? What if they give me parking tickets every day until they finish construction?

Hello. I got a parking $10 ticket today from the University police. The assigned parking lot is under the construction this summer. A few weeks ago I went to the University police and they let me park on a different parking lot, but did not give me any sticker. When they assigned me this new parking lot, they made a note in their system. I thought I would be fine. However, today after the working day I found a ticket on my window shield. First of all, this is just unfair. $10 is not a big deal, I will pay for it to the University, where I work (not to any court, not to the city police). But I am scared, because my oath is coming in a couple of weeks. Should I disclose it and bring the receipt with me? What if they give me parking tickets every day until they finish construction?

Fight or appeal the ticket. They gave you permission to park there, so they should dismiss the ticket.

You don't need to disclose it. However, as Jackolantern stated, you certainly need to fight it. It's not the $10 that matters, it's the principle. They gave you permission to park at a different lot; as such, they need to honor it.

Fight or appeal the ticket. They gave you permission to park there, so they should dismiss the ticket.

She has the Oath in a couple of weeks. It would be better if she resolves the ticket by then, either paying it or having it dismissed. I understand it's quite a slim chance (close to none), that this ticket (if still open) will complicate the Oath, but any complications in her situation are not worth of $10.
Of course, she need to make a big point at the University Police office about the ticket.

You don't need to disclose it. However, as Jackolantern stated, you certainly need to fight it. It's not the $10 that matters, it's the principle. They gave you permission to park at a different lot; as such, they need to honor it.
it depends on the nature of the ticket. If it's a citation from LE, then ... it's a citation. If it's like a ticket from private security, it's a different story