I am no Terrorist, any advice?

howdy all!

I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now and finally I was able to join it tonight!
I am also in the similar situation of 212 a 3 b INA Tier 3 nonsense.

I have seen some really informative responses from lots of folks on this blog. So lets keep up the good work and keep getting the best and concrete information for all of ourselves. I am sure that this "HOLD or BARRED" problem will be taken care of sooner than later!

Keep Optimistic and have the Best Hope!
That is what I am trying to do (besides praying and writing several hundreds of letter all over the authorities related to this issue).

Peace~

usa21
In my case they used the my testimony to classify me as Tier 3 , my hunch is for them to put you on hold based on your husband affliation depend on how much info they know about him , so you are the best to tell. If me or you were a DV lottery we probably been citizens by now.
My husband is in another country where he is a asylum too. I went there and married him officially.

I wonder where have "Hope for best" and other members who posted some really optimistic news disappeared.

what 'Hope for the best' posted was an APRIL FOOL joke, either is was done intentionally or unintentionally through him/her, because of our levels of anxiety and hope, we just didn't want to question authenticity of the information

Glad I didn't fall for it. I'm not a very optimistic person. I believe in reality. Unless I see it, I rarely believe it.

Yes it is unfortunate how we do evil things by playing with other people's emotions while some one needs help, also be careful from people referring to lawyers as to my belief lawyers can not do any thing here, I think such information's are scams, but again the best time to frame some one is when they come for help, the only thing that may help is going through proper channel, the only hope I see is S. 3113. Also be careful with some private messages for legal offers, they do not post their messages in the threads so others may read and guide so they sent private messages, why would they not come on threads and approach in private message box, I may be wrong but this is what I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe this 'material support' hold is a very difficult thing to deal with, it can be done by either letting a lawyer handle it or waiting for your turn or better still waiting for a change of law. Bottom line, some have gotten their applications approved either by just waiting for years (approx. 4-5 years average), or using a lawyer, which in my opinion very few have succeeded. What has not happen is a change of the law, which hopefully might happen someday.

I believe lawers can not help if you have actually provided material support. but if you haven't done anything wrong then lawers should be able to help you. but again, you need a good lawyer. most lawyers are good to fill in the blanks in immigration forms but not good to tackle a case like this. How can a lawer help me who knows less than me in this matter. most immigration lawers i have met would rather do easy stuff like filling application for someone filing for green card married to a U.S citizen, or do paper work for H1b or work related green card stuff. two out of 5 lawers i contacted opened a book infront of me and read me the lines. You can not depend on the lawers who know nothing more than telling you what this hold means, you already know that, specially the ones who give you free advice on the internet hoping you'll become their client one day. A good lawer in my opinon would do tackle cases like these without filing mandamus as much as possible. What NepaliAsylee's lawer did for his case is an example of a good lawyer.
if you're an asylee then you may wait because you can work, and live like a green card holder. however, if you have families to unite then you can't wait. like me, i have to maintain my f1 status to stay in the usa. maintaining my status does not come for free, i have to pay out of state tution and i can't work. a lawer i went to told me that my case will be abandoned if i left the country. I am left with no option but to stay here by loaning money with my relatives. So my best option is to find a lawer who can help me out, and i am not talking about mandamus.
btw, i'mjust curious. what happens to someone who files a mandamus and gets rejected, don't he just come back to his asylee status? in that case, can't he file another application for green card at that point?

Howdy all again!!

I have been reading alot of stuff from all of you and it is great, honest, and painful experiences that is mind blowing to all of us. I have been waiting for my Green Card for over 4 years now (being stuck in material support thing). I agree with some of you for not going to the lawyer as they have limited or no knowledge for this matter, however, there are some lawyers who do know about the sensitivity of this issue. One lawyer that I can think of is the Lawyer in Washingtion D.C. Some of you (a few weeks ago) mentioned his name in the previous blogs. His name is Thomas Ragland. He has done some work in the field "Material Support related cases". So again, in my opinion contact him in DC and he might be able to use some sense and help you all out. Just google search him.

I tell you what, I did file for Writ of Mandamus and withdrew from it after getting the response from Govt Lawyer. That was last year. I was told that if I keep on pursuing with the Writ, there is a chance of loosing my case. Back then, I had a different lawyer. Anyhow, My suggestion is to contact this guy in DC and figure out yourself if he is good or not for your case.

Also, some of you mentioned that a classaction lawsuit might not be a good idea or perhaps it won't work because the cases are different (individually), respectfully disagree to that opinion. Yes, the individula cases might be different but still the main cause of the HOLD on these cases are the same..which is "HOLD for Material Support" for all of the cases. The legality of the issue is to pusuade a judge in a fedeal court to push DHS - USCIS to excercise the waivers and process the cases individually in a very reasonable timely manner.

Also, I believe pretty much (if not all) but most of us have nothing to do with terrorisim at all. But the way this broad definition of terrorisim especially Tier3 is crazy, wrong, unjust and illogical, therefore, if the lawyer is sensibile would argue the materiality of an individual case by case in a class action lawsuit and that is the only way "at least of now" to move foward with a positive and legal force. The other option is to sit and wait as we all have been tottally on the mercy of these people to accept our applications.

The other good thing for the Lawsuit (if goes through successfully) would be to argue the time length people have been waiting for since they filed their Green Card Applications. If the case could be compelling, the lawyer will argue not only to move ahead with the adjustment for status applications but to also give credit for the number of years people have been waiting and therefore if they have waited 4 or more years since their Green Card Application as an Asylee let them show the proof of their tax returns and fulfil other requirements for Citizenship and apply of their Citizenship right away. This can be done if the lawyer has knowledge of whatto do and how to do it without jeapordizing the situation any further.

Anyways, that is what I think and you should all look into this lawyers information.

Peace~

Mo77, welcome and please keep sharing your ideas/experiences/comments, that’s what keeps a lot of us going. Your points are well noted, I had mention earlier that the DC lawyers seems the best guy capable of dealing with this case, unfortunately, some people don't even have the patience or know how to Google his name up and read about his résumé before commenting on him. If I am not mistaking, I think he himself suggested that even though he wants to file as a group, he’s going to go concentrate on individual cases. I think he is right, why the DHS/JD decided to use the claus 'case by case bases' is because well all know that some groups/people from a particular region are looked upon more or with greater scrutiny(please no offence to anybody, but that's just the truth), and it's unfortunate. Again, from my understanding, I think the lawyer is going to be selective, meaning he is going to read our individual cases before accepting them. If I am right about this, then I still believe it's a good thing because he will probably take cases that he can comfortable argue and win as a group, which would definitely lead to greater media coverage and eventually open the road to all of us.

All,

Let me make this point clear, that this forum is built based on respect for each other and sharing information regarding our tough situation. I'd rather providing help and good news no matter what than replying to some of the above negative posts. So let get back to work!

The Denver Islamic Center will hold a meeting on June 5th, 2010 with high immigration officials, whom agreed to meet with those who are stuck with this hold. Meeting duration is 3 hours, and will be divided into three parts. The first part will contain a brief introduction on what is the current situtation on these cases and why there is a major delay! The Second part will be questions and answers, and the third part which i consider very important is to set down with an immigration officer who will look up your cases on his computer and provide you with most updated states on your case.

Finally, distraction and negative posts will bring us no good.

Thanks,

HOPE FOR BEST

HOPE FOR THE BEST, could you provide us with details of the meeting (e.g,do I need to register before attending, the address),I will like to attend. Yes, let’s stay away from negative comments; however, some jokes could also help relief some stress

For those who are giving up, I was wondering would it not be an option to get their social security and FICA back from the US government, if they decide to take a second asylum, they worked legally and lived in the USA legally, for some its okay to wait but for some it is so hard since they have been dislocated from their families for 7 or 8 years or even more due to this unfair hold,in that case what if they want to get another asylum in some other country like Canada for example. Should it not be their right to collect the FICA taxes they were deducted and now they will not be benefited since they will not be in USA.

hecate you are reading my mind ( I think we all filing taxes as residents but actually we are not since we are theoratically on a temporer status that can be revoked when the conditions in your home country improves, so can we file for taxes as non-residents? and collect our social security taxes upon voluntary departue?) , Hope For Best I know him personally and he is doing more than he is saying, I believe he was deligating what was TOLD from people he considers to be of trust
For those who are giving up, I was wondering would it not be an option to get their social security and FICA back from the US government, if they decide to take a second asylum, they worked legally and lived in the USA legally, for some its okay to wait but for some it is so hard since they have been dislocated from their families for 7 or 8 years or even more due to this unfair hold,in that case what if they want to get another asylum in some other country like Canada for example. Should it not be their right to collect the FICA taxes they were deducted and now they will not be benefited since they will not be in USA.

Last edited by a moderator:
samdalas40,

All what you need to do is attend that meeting, no registeration, no nothing. I will be more than happy tp provide any type of help regarding our stituation. Justinjustin, thank you so much to your kind words, and i'm pretty sure that each and every on in this forum has the right to question my posts without any harm. As we agreed before that any good news can be helpful in this topic as days pass by. I will be more carefull in the future when posting any news since it seems that some people with good intention became really worried about them.

I'm pretty sure that this meeting will be a good chance for us to present our worries and frustrations. On the other hand; it will benefit those immigration officials on how to speed up the process, remove holds, and pay more attention to our situation.

Thanks,

HOPE FOR BEST

what should I do forward? Can you advise me? Do I need to wait or anything else?
usa21
In my case they used the my testimony to classify me as Tier 3 , my hunch is for them to put you on hold based on your husband affliation depend on how much info they know about him , so you are the best to tell. If me or you were a DV lottery we probably been citizens by now.

Don't know about you guys but I'm yet to find out why Nepali Congress Party's affiliation has caused in this idiotic holds for Nepali Asylees. Most Nepalese fear prosecution from Maoist terrorists and shockingly, many asylees' applications have been placed on hold.

hecate you are reading my mind ( I think we all filing taxes as residents but actually we are not since we are theoratically on a temporer status that can be revoked when the conditions in your home country improves, so can we file for taxes as non-residents? and collect our social security taxes upon voluntary departue?) , Hope For Best I know him personally and he is doing more than he is saying, I believe he was deligating what was TOLD from people he considers to be of trust

NO DON'T EVER MAKE THAT MISTAKE, IF YOU FILE AS A NON RESIDENT YOU WILL BE DEPORTED IMMEDIATELY, IT SAYS ON THE TRAVEL DOCUMENT FOR ALL ASYLEES, IF YOU HAVE A TRAVEL DOCUMENT YOU CAN READ IT ON THE BINDING PAGES OF THE TRAVEL DOCUMENT.
However it is the policy of the USA if they want to give settlement opportunity to asylees, under the UN convention agreement given a refuge is sufficient commitment for USA to be humanitarian. Realizing these asylees were living and working legally and contributing FICA and social security for future benefit, if settlement decision is unreasonably prolonged (which is the case here) and causes tension in mental stability bases on these baseless charges and if there is an opportunity to get another asylum in another country the US government should return them the hard earned social security and FICA hold both employer and self contribution with a reasonable interest, other wise it will be brutal punishment for people who suffered miserably in their country and then lost hard earned money for future benefit in another country where they took refuge based on the commitment they trusted from USA towards the UN refugee Geneva convention.

I am now 33 years old. When can my husband come to here and we stay together? Stupid law.
NO DON'T EVER MAKE THAT MISTAKE, IF YOU FILE AS A NON RESIDENT YOU WILL BE DEPORTED IMMEDIATELY, IT SAYS ON THE TRAVEL DOCUMENT FOR ALL ASYLEES, IF YOU HAVE A TRAVEL DOCUMENT YOU CAN READ IT ON THE BINDING PAGES OF THE TRAVEL DOCUMENT.
However it is the policy of the USA if they want to give settlement opportunity to asylees, under the UN convention agreement given a refuge is sufficient commitment for USA to be humanitarian. Realizing these asylees were living and working legally and contributing FICA and social security for future benefit, if settlement decision is unreasonably prolonged (which is the case here) and causes tension in mental stability bases on these baseless charges and if there is an opportunity to get another asylum in another country the US government should return them the hard earned social security and FICA hold both employer and self contribution with a reasonable interest, other wise it will be brutal punishment for people who suffered miserably in their country and then lost hard earned money for future benefit in another country where they took refuge based on the commitment they trusted from USA towards the UN refugee Geneva convention.